Muskie Discussion Forums

Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Language | Blogs Search | Statistics | User Listing
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )
Moderators: Slamr

View previous thread :: View next thread
Jump to page : 1 2 3 4 5 6
Now viewing page 2 [30 messages per page]

Muskie Fishing -> General Discussion -> LOTW biggest Musky???

Message Subject: LOTW biggest Musky???
Ray
Posted 2/21/2013 10:00 AM (#619314 - in reply to #619198)
Subject: Re: LOTW biggest Musky???

Will Schultz - 2/20/2013 9:39 PM

Ray - 2/20/2013 10:15 PM
5th lake Brad - 2/20/2013 8:54 PM
IAJustin - 2/20/2013 6:49 PM .since its never been done on that lake before.
While I do agree with you, saying its "never" been done before, may be a little far fetched. Not every person that has ever caught a musky on LOTW has recorded it, publicized it, or even measured it. Just sayin, we've all heard the stories of huge fish. "Never" may not be true.
Agree.. If you would of asked anyone last year or most of this years that Michigan had 55# muskies in it 99.9% would of said no.. If you would of asked the most experienced Musky guys in Michigan that Lake Bellaire would produce a musky that size 100% would of said NO.. Same goes for that MN state record tiger musky.. No one would of believed there was a tiger that big in MN but there was..

LOL! Really? You might need to evaluate who you think is an experienced guy in Michigan.

Will,i am from Michigan and have been fishing muskies for 27 years.. You know there is big muskies,i know there is big muskies but most would of disagreed with us.. You and i both have seen thread after thread on this forum saying it wasn't possible.. Didn't mean to offend you..
Ray
Posted 2/21/2013 10:04 AM (#619317 - in reply to #619270)

Ja Rule - 2/21/2013 8:24 AM

Ray - 2/20/2013 9:15 PM

IAJustin - 2/20/2013 6:49 PM
.since its never been done on that lake before.

While I do agree with you, saying its "never" been done before, may be a little far fetched. Not every person that has ever caught a musky on LOTW has recorded it, publicized it, or even measured it. Just sayin, we've all heard the stories of huge fish. "Never" may not be true.

Agree.. If you would of asked anyone last year or most of this years that Michigan had 55# muskies in it 99.9% would of said no.. If you would of asked the most experienced Musky guys in Michigan that Lake Bellaire would produce a musky that size 100% would of said NO...

Apparently you don't know anything about musky fishing in Michigan.

i am from Michigan and have been musky fishing for 27 years so i do know a thing or two or three..
Will Schultz
Posted 2/21/2013 10:40 AM (#619337 - in reply to #619314)

Ray - 2/21/2013 11:00 AM
Will Schultz - 2/20/2013 9:39 PM

Ray - 2/20/2013 10:15 PM
IAJustin - 2/20/2013 6:49 PM .since its never been done on that lake before.
Agree.. If you would of asked anyone last year or most of this years that Michigan had 55# muskies in it 99.9% would of said no.. If you would of asked the most experienced Musky guys in Michigan that Lake Bellaire would produce a musky that size 100% would of said NO.. Same goes for that MN state record tiger musky.. No one would of believed there was a tiger that big in MN but there was..

LOL! Really? You might need to evaluate who you think is an experienced guy in Michigan.

Will,i am from Michigan and have been fishing muskies for 27 years.. You know there is big muskies,i know there is big muskies but most would of disagreed with us.. You and i both have seen thread after thread on this forum saying it wasn't possible.. Didn't mean to offend you..

No offense intended Ray, I don't know you and don't know anything about you. I just didn't agree that 99.9% would have said no to Michigan and 100% of experienced guys in Michigan would have said no to Bellaire. I guess "experienced" is a relative term and anyone that has caught ten muskies could be considered experienced but the guys I know that are experienced would have that lake on their short list of water that could produce a 55# fish in Michigan.

Glad we have new regs starting on April 1st. 

Mudpuppy
Posted 2/21/2013 11:00 AM (#619349 - in reply to #619087)
Subject: RE: LOTW biggest Musky???

If Middle Eau Claire lake can produce a 60" musky, varified by none other than Art Oemke, then several lakes have that potential. Been fishing these critters for 50 years and the following is my best guess for a 60" fish.

1. Georgian Bay
2. St. Lawrence River system and tributories.
3. Lac Seul
4. Lake St. Clair
5. Green Bay

It could happen on any large lake with a strong forage base at any time. A 60" musky is freak of nature like an 8 ft. human, but it can and does happen. LOTW, Eagle,Nippising, Cass, Mille Lacs, any fo the laqrge Wisconsin River impoundments all have the potential to produce a freak.....Gentlemen, thats what keeps us coming back.

Catch and release is much tougher on 50" fish over 40" fish. But releasing large mature muskies increases the odds of a 60' turning up. I hope I live to see it.

Mudpuppy
Ja Rule
Posted 2/21/2013 11:09 AM (#619356 - in reply to #619317)

Ray - 2/21/2013 10:04 AM

Ja Rule - 2/21/2013 8:24 AM

Ray - 2/20/2013 9:15 PM

IAJustin - 2/20/2013 6:49 PM
.since its never been done on that lake before.

Agree.. If you would of asked anyone last year or most of this years that Michigan had 55# muskies in it 99.9% would of said no.. If you would of asked the most experienced Musky guys in Michigan that Lake Bellaire would produce a musky that size 100% would of said NO...

Apparently you don't know anything about musky fishing in Michigan.

i am from Michigan and have been musky fishing for 27 years so i do know a thing or two or three..

I didn't mean to be such a jerk about it, but your original post suggested otherwise.
Posted 2/21/2013 11:09 AM (#619358 - in reply to #619087)

if someone does catch one please take a picture of it on a bumpboard clearly showing it hit 60" ;o)
IAJustin
Posted 2/21/2013 11:12 AM (#619362 - in reply to #619087)

Mudpuppy - I would put Vermilion firmly @ #4 for chance at a 60"....legit 57-58" fish have been caught each of the past 4 years, don't carry the mass of Mille Lacs fish in general...but there is some extremely long fish in V.

Edited by IAJustin 2/21/2013 11:14 AM
Will Schultz
Posted 2/21/2013 11:21 AM (#619367 - in reply to #619362)

Mudpuppy, I love the 8' human analogy it's going to become my favorite way of describing the chance of anyone ever catching a 60" or 65# muskie. Sure... but how many 8' humans are walking around? Love it. So much more manly and realistic than saying they're unicorns.
IAJustin
Posted 2/21/2013 11:25 AM (#619370 - in reply to #619087)

Will, not sure who started the analogy but its been said before...and I too think its relevant

http://muskie.outdoorsfirst.com/board/forums/thread-view.asp?fid=15...

Posted 2/21/2013 11:37 AM (#619372 - in reply to #619362)

IAJustin - 2/21/2013 11:12 AM

Mudpuppy - I would put Vermilion firmly @ #4 for chance at a 60"....legit 57-58" fish have been caught each of the past 4 years, don't carry the mass of Mille Lacs fish in general...but there is some extremely long fish in V.

And what is your consensus that V fish don't carry as much girth as Mille Lacs fish based on?
IAJustin
Posted 2/21/2013 11:46 AM (#619380 - in reply to #619087)

Jason, Lee,Luke,Greg and others measuring girths....call them liars if you wish.
hoosierhunter
Posted 2/21/2013 11:55 AM (#619388 - in reply to #619087)

With a lake that size anything could be possible, for someone to say there is or is not is crazy.
ARmuskyaddict
Posted 2/21/2013 12:00 PM (#619392 - in reply to #619087)

You are relying on bragging board posts and guides for that info? Guides rely on info getting out to make their living. Many serious musky fishermen shy away from bragging boards. Especially on their local lakes. Just look at the results of the potential world record poll a while back.

http://muskie.outdoorsfirst.com/board/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=80...
Brett Carroll
Posted 2/21/2013 12:00 PM (#619393 - in reply to #619087)

Ok...I think I'm in the minority after reading most of these comments. I feel that there is so much big water on LOTW to not have a 60" fish. An area we fish is Sabaskong Bay in Morsen and also Kenora area of LOTW. We take 2 different trips and the biggest we've caught is 54". Another group that goes up the same time has caught a 57", 56", 3 55"s, and a bunch lower. I saw the 56" picture on a bump board but none of the others were on a bump board photo. Now, as far as Sabaskong goes the water is so massive there that it would seem that at least one fish over 60" is swimming. Obviously, I don't know but I sure hope I can show it someday.
IAJustin
Posted 2/21/2013 12:05 PM (#619397 - in reply to #619392)

ARmuskyaddict - 2/21/2013 12:00 PM

You are relying on bragging board posts and guides for that info? Guides rely on info getting out to make their living. Many serious musky fishermen shy away from bragging boards. Especially on their local lakes. Just look at the results of the potential world record poll a while back.

http://muskie.outdoorsfirst.com/board/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=80...

Is this to me? No, for the most part I'm relying on what they have told me, face to face, so you are now saying these respectable guides are inflating the girth measurements of all the 53-56" muskies they put in there boat in the fall, to increase business?
Posted 2/21/2013 12:21 PM (#619405 - in reply to #619380)

IAJustin - 2/21/2013 11:46 AM

Jason, Lee,Luke,Greg and others measuring girths....call them liars if you wish.

Everyone is supposed to believe you because you can name drop.

Because Luke has never measured a big girth fish on V? lol Wonder why he spends his entire fall there. Maybe not this fall since he and his wife had a baby.

Jason only fishes V in the summer which is a great time for big girth fish (rolls eyes). But he fishes Mille Lacs in the fall, wonder why he thinks Mille Lacs has girthier fish?

I presume your talking about Lee Tauchen who doesn't spend that much time on V.

Greg who? Thomas? Who never spends time on the V. Ask him, he hates rocks and loves weed fishing thus doesn't spend any time on the V.

Saying a 60" fish does or doesn't exist and pretending that is fact is proposterous. As is saying one lake has girthier fish than another when both lakes have been known to kick out huge fish. No one truly knows what's swimming in any of these lakes. Just get out and fish and enjoy your time on any of these bodies of water and know that you are one cast away from the biggest fish in your life. Whether that fish is 60" or 54" is irrelevant, it's the biggest fish you've ever caught and that's what matters.
NickD
Posted 2/21/2013 12:30 PM (#619408 - in reply to #619087)

Maybe the next few years is the time that LOTW will produce that next step up fish from the verified 57-58in fish. The last 10-15 years have been above average temperature wise and with the 54" limit being implemented in roughly the same time frame odds have to be better than normal. The large waters out east seem to produce fish in the upper 50 to tickling 60 mark every year. Either more are making it to the internet or there are more fish getting big cause an average MN joe like myself is hearing more and more about these huge fish that guys like Capt. Clark are catching. Are the fish out east bigger because of the water or moderated climate?

Over the years the In-Fisherman has had articles about waters for the next world record of various species. They always talk about windows where waters can produce the biggest of big fish. Climate change, water changes, and other factors are mentioned. Seems like the biggest of fish aren't available every year.

Maybe the biggest enemy for a truly big fish in LOTW is the shear # of muskies. Seems like the higher the density of fish of any species the smaller the maximum size.

Catching the biggest fish in the lake has a lot to do with "chance". Having knowledge of the water and being a better fisherman increases your odds but I don't care who you are if you don't put a lure in front of the fish you want to catch you aren't gonna catch it. There are a LOT of spots on the woods for the biggest fish in the lock to move around on.
ARmuskyaddict
Posted 2/21/2013 12:47 PM (#619422 - in reply to #619087)

IA,
It was to you, but more rightly your statement. Re-read my post without thinking I am attacking you, or the guides. My point was there are probably bigger fish out there. I am saying to you that not everyone talks about their big catches. I am pointing out guides whose only job is to fish and go from place to place have a vested interest in getting the word out about their big catches. That's how they make a living, by getting customers. I do not intend to rip on those guides, as from what I hear most are great guys and very good fisherman. Nor am I in any way accusing them of inflating the info they put out. I am also pointing out that, according to the poll on OFM, many on this site say they wouldn't talk about it. I also point out many do not talk about their local lakes as it brings in more pressure possibly.

I feel there could be big musky in any of the waters discussed, including Vermillion, and especially LOTW. "Relying exclusively" on the experience of guides you know, or anyone you know or read about online for that matter, doesn't tell you what else is really happening out there under the water. There is probably more going on than we think. 56-58 inchers may continue to grow, and those are caught on Vermilion, as well as Lake of the Woods.

Musky Brian
Posted 2/21/2013 1:02 PM (#619430 - in reply to #619422)

Interesting discussion...I have spent a ton of time on LOTW the last few years and also have quite a few years under my belt on other big fish water like Eagle and Vermilion...This past year I know of 3 guys ( me included) that saw the biggest fish they have ever seen in their lives on LOTW. I know the one I saw was VERY special...she actually got fixated on my trolling motor and then surfaced again about 50 yards away. Can't put a definite number on it, but I am about as certain as I can be that it was clearly on the north side of 55", built like a tank and free of scars like you see on some of the old fish...took me days to get over it. Wish I would have had my ruler ready to conduct a proper boat side measurement of the follow
ARmuskyaddict
Posted 2/21/2013 1:09 PM (#619435 - in reply to #619087)

Bring an elctroshocker instead...
Brad P
Posted 2/21/2013 1:37 PM (#619455 - in reply to #619087)

You can sure tell the season is closed.

Some of you debating this topic should go down to the research forum and read the thread on Maximum Size Potential. One of the concepts tossed around down there is that a 60# or even a 70# specimen is not typical, but also not impossible. I believe the example given was Yao Ming and Minut Bol in terms of humans. When seeking a fish of that proportion you are looking for the genetic freak, so in that sense any argument about "typical size" is rather irrelevant, you aren't looking for a typical fish.

It is certainly possible that in a body of water the size of LOTW there exists such a specimen. That statement isn't based on scientific fact, it is based on probability. How can anyone know for sure that it does or does not swim? I do agree with the generally held view that such a monster is "more likely" to be caught in a system such as the Great Lakes or large inland waters with significant populations of large, high fat forage, but that is also a statement of probability.
IAJustin
Posted 2/21/2013 1:42 PM (#619458 - in reply to #619455)

Brad P - 2/21/2013 1:37 PM

You can sure tell the season is closed.

Some of you debating this topic should go down to the research forum and read the thread on Maximum Size Potential. One of the concepts tossed around down there is that a 60# or even a 70# specimen is not typical, but also not impossible. I believe the example given was Yao Ming and Minut Bol in terms of humans. When seeking a fish of that proportion you are looking for the genetic freak, so in that sense any argument about "typical size" is rather irrelevant, you aren't looking for a typical fish.

It is certainly possible that in a body of water the size of LOTW there exists such a specimen. That statement isn't based on scientific fact, it is based on probability. How can anyone know for sure that it does or does not swim? I do agree with the generally held view that such a monster is "more likely" to be caught in a system such as the Great Lakes or large inland waters with significant populations of large, high fat forage, but that is also a statement of probability.

Thanks Brad that exactly what I was trying to convey, and did a dam poor job or doing so. I love LOTW, I wouldn't have spent 207 days (12-14 hrs) fishing it recently if I didn't. I hope there is a 60" muskie in LOTW!
Matt DeVos
Posted 2/21/2013 4:31 PM (#619537 - in reply to #619087)

I've spent a lot of time on LOTW myself. Biggest was 52.5", but I've seen a few that were substantially bigger...how much bigger? I have no idea. I don't have any frame of reference for fish >54".

Part of the allure of big water is the unknown. On a place like LOTW, you can fish an entire lifetime and still only scratch the surface. LOTW has 65,000 miles of shoreline. The circumference of the earth is 25,000 miles. Think about that for a second and then think about how many muskies are probably in the lake, and how many prime spots exist that rarely if ever get fished.

If it's possible for muskies for attain 60"+ as a maximum length, my guess would be that there are probably a few in LOTW.

Edited by Matt DeVos 2/21/2013 4:33 PM
Posted 2/21/2013 6:02 PM (#619564 - in reply to #619087)

you guys speak as if you know how many fish over 55 inches are in lake of the woods. this isnt a lake with 4 reefs every fish in the lake uses getting pounded left and right. this is a lake some spots don't see any pressure throughout the course of an entire season and several AREAS that get fished just a couple times per year. almost a million acres of water. get real. there are more fish over 50 inches in lake of the woods than any lake in minnesota. its just a tougher body of water to fish. minnesota you throw a double 10 or bulldawg all season and you will see and catch fish. you have to change it up on lake of the woods.
Posted 2/21/2013 6:05 PM (#619565 - in reply to #619087)

there are also more fish in the 40 to 49 inch range on lotw. minnesota is on the decline and there will be more out of state guides and guides who have been muskie fishing for less than 10 years than 50 inchers soon.
dougj
Posted 2/21/2013 8:51 PM (#619607 - in reply to #619087)

Interesting thread!

Lots of nice fish in the LOTWs. Not very many 60"ers, at least I've never seen one in 50 years of trying.

Doug Johnson

TC MUSKIE
Posted 2/21/2013 8:58 PM (#619609 - in reply to #619087)

I think that about wraps up the discussion right there! ^^^
Posted 2/22/2013 7:21 AM (#619650 - in reply to #619609)

TC MUSKIE - 2/21/2013 8:58 PM

I think that about wraps up the discussion right there! ^^^

because ONE person has not seen one?
ldahlberg
Posted 2/22/2013 7:26 AM (#619652 - in reply to #619087)

This post is pretty funny.
Ask yourself, has a 60" ever existed? The answer is yes, but not many.
(I have a published photo from Jim Peterson's Outdoor news from the early 1970's of a 60" fish caught in the Hayward area. Showed it in a seminar at the mn musky expo 3 years ago)
Next question, could it ever happen again? Duh...

But, I don't think the answer really matters. What matters is we HOPE they exist!

LD

Larry Ramsell
Posted 2/22/2013 10:18 AM (#619694 - in reply to #619087)

LD can you post that pic? I'm highly suspect of it.

I agree on the "hope" but the bogus records of the past gave "false hope"!

Edited by Larry Ramsell 2/22/2013 10:19 AM
Jump to page : 1 2 3 4 5 6
Now viewing page 2 [30 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)