Muskie Discussion Forums

Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Language | Blogs Search | Statistics | User Listing
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )
Moderators: Slamr

View previous thread :: View next thread
Jump to page : 1 2 3
Now viewing page 2 [30 messages per page]

Muskie Fishing -> Fishing Reports and Destinations -> big v

Message Subject: big v
Top H2O
Posted 10/24/2012 9:56 AM (#593065 - in reply to #593058)
Subject: Re: big v

From what I have been told you are only required to check nets once every 24hrs,..and yes other fish that hit the net get smoked as well including 1 muskie per day.
Some locals like smoked Pike and Muskie.

Oh,... the DNR also keeps an eye on those nets.

Edited by Top H2O 10/24/2012 10:00 AM
Flambeauski
Posted 10/24/2012 10:42 AM (#593073 - in reply to #585296)

Minnesota law restricts the size of the net and its openings; requires that netting be done in water not deeper than six feet unless specifically authorized; stipulates that netted fish cannot be sold; and requires that ONLY ROUGH FISH caught in the net may be kept. State law also limits net size to 100 feet long and 3 feet wide; allows one person to use no more than two nets; and forbids recreational netters from possessing angling equipment when netting whitefish-tullibee.

dtaijo174
Posted 10/24/2012 11:01 AM (#593079 - in reply to #593058)

IAJustin - 10/24/2012 9:34 AM

Interesting, nets don't discriminate -you would think they would catch a fair number of walleye's and such as well? Not a netting expert but wouldn't you potentially have other dead fish if only checking every 24 hrs?

I netted for years with my father on Leech. I'm Caucasian, so we only targeted tulibee. I have not netted for years as my father is too old to brave big waves and cold temps.

Here's my take on netting.

Fish don't seem to get caught during the day. We would set our nets some morning, fish during the day, and check before dark. Only to find them empty time and time again.

We also learned the hard way that if you set your nets, wait 24hrs and check them in the afternoon, the crayfish will start eating everything in your nets. 1000's of crayfish. They are impossible to remove with all the little hands and pinchers. So it was important to check the nets in the AM.

Surprisingly, big fish don't get caught often. We netted one low 40" musky in the 15yrs of netting. She was released and swam away. Not sure if she made it...
Perhaps 5 +36" pike. My father, who has netted for over 40yrs, has only caught 2 musky in nets. The one with me and a dink sub 30 he caught 2 days in a row. Also keep in mind, our mesh size was set for tulibee, which are smaller than whitefish. So perhaps we would have caught more big pike/musky had the mesh size been bigger.

Walleye and small pike do get caught frequently. Pike seem to fair better for release. Walleye seemed to die easier. It was not uncommon to have 6 walleye in the net.

Eelpout love getting caught... sometimes 100's of them. It's a nightmare.

If you hit the spawn just right, you never seem to catch anything but tulibee. When the spawn is going just right we'd net WAY over our limit. nothing you could do at that point. Just keep the dead ones and throw the live ones over. Tulibee are ridiculously hearty. They just don't seem to die. many of them were netted with their guts hanging out from a pike/musky attack and still full of spirit. amazing fish.
Ben Olsen
Posted 10/24/2012 11:06 AM (#593081 - in reply to #585296)

We've all been around these nets for years. I've looked at them many times and watched guys pull them and even accidentally snagged one or two. It's kinda surprising, but the vast majority of what's in them is Whitefish! I've seen a few pike but never a musky or walleye! Not saying it doesn't happen but it doesn't seem to be a problem.
Sorgy
Posted 10/24/2012 11:32 AM (#593084 - in reply to #593081)

You can look up the regulations on the MN DNR website. Type Whitefish in the search line and you will get a direct link.

Good Luck to Ben and Luke and all the other hardcore guy's on Vermilion this fall.
What are the temps as of today on the East and West ends?

Steve
Propster
Posted 10/24/2012 12:22 PM (#593098 - in reply to #585296)

Steve, I heard 46.5 yesterday Big Bay
tbaatz
Posted 10/24/2012 8:50 PM (#593304 - in reply to #585296)

47/48 all day on Big Bay, cooler tonight and cold the rest of the week. It may get interesting - - - -
Sorgy
Posted 10/24/2012 9:48 PM (#593327 - in reply to #593304)

guy's
Thanks.

Edited by Sorgy 10/24/2012 9:49 PM
whiteeee
Posted 10/24/2012 11:01 PM (#593347 - in reply to #585296)
Subject: RE: big v

Had one 5lb whitefish in my net yesterday eggs were firm, still a few days before they let loose, probably closer to the full moon. Tulibee wiil be a few more weeks, water temps are still 47 or more. If I had to guess I would say the Nov. dark moon.
whiteeee
Posted 10/24/2012 11:13 PM (#593349 - in reply to #585296)

Remember whitefish are the main course, tulibee are desert.
Rick Wolff
Posted 10/29/2012 4:44 PM (#594341 - in reply to #585296)

5 days no news.... or tight lips...
humbled
Posted 10/30/2012 12:19 AM (#594516 - in reply to #585296)

just got back from a week long trip,, we actually got blanked for the first time in six years since we have been doing this fall trip to vermilion was a loooooong week lol but still a good time fished all the "common" rock spots on the east side and a casting 80% of the time pounder medusa big cranks shallow deep and deeper and trolling passes nothing going for us
JBlanck
Posted 10/30/2012 12:29 PM (#594656 - in reply to #585296)

What did you have for water temps?
Posted 10/30/2012 3:28 PM (#594727 - in reply to #585296)

perhaps time for a trip to another lake in the fall, the fall pressure on vermilion is out of control, never seen so many boats, lots of people not catching fish
Slow Rollin
Posted 10/30/2012 3:32 PM (#594730 - in reply to #594727)

Guest - 10/30/2012 3:28 PM

perhaps time for a trip to another lake in the fall, the fall pressure on vermilion is out of control, never seen so many boats, lots of people not catching fish

Good luck, i have been saying the same thing on some lakes i fish - then go somewhere else and its just as bad. You cant get away from all the crowds in MN unless you want to fish lakes with smaller fish.
Posted 10/30/2012 4:27 PM (#594747 - in reply to #594727)

Pressure has been out of control.

There were over 10 boats on 1 island I used to enjoy fishing LAST NOV..

Yet everyone needs to know whats going before they go..

5 boats at 1 unusable launch the day the lake froze 3 years back and yet people were claiming how empty the lake was etc.. "Nobody up here in fall" TV hosts saying "Don't go hunting, Come here!!! YOU can do this.!!"

What Vermilion are you guys fishing that has no people in fall?
Its as busy as July now.. Dont let anyone tell you otherwise..
Posted 10/30/2012 4:48 PM (#594755 - in reply to #594747)

Guest - 10/30/2012 4:27 PM

Pressure has been out of control.

There were over 10 boats on 1 island I used to enjoy fishing LAST NOV..

Yet everyone needs to know whats going before they go..

5 boats at 1 unusable launch the day the lake froze 3 years back and yet people were claiming how empty the lake was etc.. "Nobody up here in fall" TV hosts saying "Don't go hunting, Come here!!! YOU can do this.!!"

What Vermilion are you guys fishing that has no people in fall?
Its as busy as July now.. Dont let anyone tell you otherwise..

Agreed, time to go elsewhere.
Rick Wolff
Posted 10/30/2012 7:08 PM (#594775 - in reply to #585296)

Wow...lots of negativity.....still will spend a week out there every year....have caught many decent fish away from the crowd...think many people were head-faked by the October temp drops and the full moon...can catch more and maybe bigger fish on several other lakes but its vacation also...thanks for the reports....
KidDerringer
Posted 10/30/2012 11:54 PM (#594825 - in reply to #585296)

I love the Buy n Sell deal. I pop in to get things when I see something friends with no money can use up thet lake. I see this post an smile..then read people want to move on or it to crowed an what ever..but yer missing the whole point of muskie fish fishen.
People forget that the lake 20 years ago was a pike walleye lake an some of us called it the Dead sea. Muskie fish got introduced, grew big fast an well now its a big feal. Never seen that coming myslef but the whole sport is larger an more weird nowadayz. Even the hard core dude I know only loved to fish wallys an live local wich in north land is like 60 miles round lake..well they have taken to muskie fishen an gotten pretty good at it. So more people want to use lake later...easy to figure out. Not hard core muskie guys only..but good friendly people wanting to find the QUEEN as a good frineds calls fall hunting. SOme were born when muskie were introduced..now guiding at 22...funny..but makes me at 57 feel OLD...well...my real nick name is Snap - Krakel & Pop so I guess I really am old. but paying for my youth is a blast..oooo what a youth I had...but thats a whole diffeent book. LOL x 1000
NOw! We still have fun. Older an colder but still having fun. IDEA: If yer motor works..start it up an move around a lil bit if you don't like people around. FISH SWIM....like lots of different places to eat an fart or wait for dinner to come their way or just sleep. Always some bitting some place on the lake all the time. You just won't see them online photos any more from a good number of people for good reason. But big fat fish still being caught...smaller fat ones also...and some big big pike an walleyes. Its a fun good thing an great place to play / live / work if you can get yer head right an just do the do an try to be just you. Don't do it for anyone online or on TV or at home ...do it for YOU. Geezzz...and if you wan to try different lakes...go for it. You might just find what yer looking for...but just not FAST. Nothing is fast in fall except the temps dropping an toes, lips and nose blood settling to yer middle.
I'm mean just go have fun..people or no people....enjoy yer time on the lake. Work hard, relax the gray matter an have some fun. Be safe an draw on what you read or type about all winter on these here good guyen boards. LOL
NOw Waiting for a bait fish spawn an full moon sunset phaze an special water temps an wind directions an speeds and all that good stuff to fall inline is fun for some. I just fish. Even if all those things plus few more happen fish still gotta chew... but fish are fish an each year is different. Sposed to be fun not a contest with man made mind pressure. Get a big one an then what? Post a photo an act 16...well thats ok fine but com on man. The hunt is still far out an tuff fishen should bring out yer very best. Jsut go have some fun..be safe an relax...if your in a good place in yer haed an on the lake at the righ time...KABLMA! Daddyo..yer pole will bend, net get wet an yer smile should be WIDE!
Think about it..10 boats casting an island tells me to SPLIT an find somting fun. Trolling round outs..MOVE..the motor is already running. ; )
Fish swim..yer cover what you think is a lot of water an doing it well but they might be 30 yards left an move in when you move off. Maybe deeper when yer up tight. Maybe already ate an full when yer casting or trolling. I know you already did all that..got none..had no fun...not getting yer moneys worth. Well whatyagonnado daddyo? Its fishen ya got into it for fun...stress kills...pressure is all in yer head......relax...think, be safe, enjoy every sandwich as ya never know when its yer last. I wish ya all best of luck remainder of season. Catcha biggie, smile up an let r go. Never forget as I have said 1000 times...If it looks fishy...FISH IT...ENJOY IT. Rememebr...they are the home team...your the visitor..every dam time out. NO question about the odds there. Its all in the fishys favor...all you can do it bring your best game to the bow an letter have it!!
; )
Keep on Rocken!

Musky Tommy Wehler

Life is good...cancer sucks!
Still Alive an Well!!!
: )
sworrall
Posted 10/31/2012 12:38 AM (#594826 - in reply to #585296)

Sweet post, Tommy, good to hear all is well up there.

Shot a couple deer today. Larder is looking good...winter is looking better!
charlesb
Posted 10/31/2012 7:41 AM (#594846 - in reply to #585296)

What are the water temps please??
Propster
Posted 10/31/2012 8:20 AM (#594852 - in reply to #585296)

43 Big Bay Monday is what I heard from someone who was there
Slow Rollin
Posted 10/31/2012 8:42 AM (#594859 - in reply to #594775)

Rick Wolff - 10/30/2012 7:08 PM

Wow...lots of negativity.....still will spend a week out there every year....have caught many decent fish away from the crowd...think many people were head-faked by the October temp drops and the full moon...can catch more and maybe bigger fish on several other lakes but its vacation also...thanks for the reports....

Hey Rick, these days I dont think your gonna get much info on the internet. If you do, it could be bogus info too so i wouldnt count on it.
sworrall
Posted 10/31/2012 8:55 AM (#594863 - in reply to #585296)

Slow Rollin
Sooo, you are saying everything you post is complete bull, right? Thanks for the heads up, quite a few people offer honest reports.
Top H2O
Posted 10/31/2012 9:28 AM (#594873 - in reply to #594863)

Jake and I saw only 3 boats Sunday and 2 of them were trolling. I guess the morning snow storm(3") drove everybody off the west end.
This morning the temp was at 10* ...... That's cold.....water temps are dropping really fast. did see alot more boats yesterday, but there are so many fishy areas it doesn't matter.
Have fun and be safe out there.
Troyz.
Posted 10/31/2012 9:42 AM (#594878 - in reply to #585296)

pending areas it temp 42 to 44 still, find out what they are soon. but ha.s been tought sledding and many struggling, yes plenty of pressure out there some pigs still be caught. also pressure is also due to the nice 4 day of light winds, and no one hiding from wind, sorry need to go fishing lake looks peaceful. we did get a new PB

Troyz
Slow Rollin
Posted 10/31/2012 9:43 AM (#594880 - in reply to #594863)

sworrall - 10/31/2012 8:55 AM

Slow Rollin
Sooo, you are saying everything you post is complete bull, right? Thanks for the heads up, quite a few people offer honest reports.

No no...i guess i should say its possible people could post bull and dont really count on that being real helpful ... i wouldnt put all your eggs in a basket based on what someone reports , thats all
Rick Wolff
Posted 10/31/2012 6:51 PM (#595058 - in reply to #594878)

Troy.....pb for the lake or pb......
Top H2O
Posted 10/31/2012 8:02 PM (#595085 - in reply to #595058)

Buoys are gone,... with the water 1.5-2 ft. low, be very careful... water temps are 40-42* today
Troyz.
Posted 11/1/2012 8:11 AM (#595197 - in reply to #595058)

New PB for Chris, he has had a struggle for several years to get one over 50 up, many 49.5, he got a 53 guess 24 girth, she was a pig thick from head to toe. See you probably this weekend.

Troyz
Jump to page : 1 2 3
Now viewing page 2 [30 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)