Muskie Discussion Forums

Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Language | Blogs Search | Statistics | User Listing
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )
Moderators: Slamr

View previous thread :: View next thread
Jump to page : 1 2 3
Now viewing page 2 [30 messages per page]

Muskie Fishing -> General Discussion -> live bait

Message Subject: live bait
Slamr
Posted 4/23/2012 3:46 PM (#555198 - in reply to #555192)
Subject: RE: live bait

R Swain - 4/23/2012 3:27 PM

Wow, when I got after Vince for intruding my area after catching a fish and another time for bashing the WLMC for every move we made, both times I was erased from the thread. What is the difference here?

Who is bashing who? Read this one twice, and generally I'm more than happy to zap a post (even my own, and Steve Worralls or whoevers), but missing the hostility.

firstsixfeet
Posted 4/23/2012 3:51 PM (#555201 - in reply to #555192)

R Swain - 4/23/2012 3:27 PM

Wow, when I got after Vince for intruding my area after catching a fish and another time for bashing the WLMC for every move we made, both times I was erased from the thread. What is the difference here?

Don't need the quoted type posts here on this thread. Slamr?

If sled teaches him the secret handshake after his 10th post, then you'll see vindictive...
ToddM
Posted 4/23/2012 4:09 PM (#555205 - in reply to #554952)
Subject: Re: live bait

I use suckers, my standards are low. I want every advantage possible on tbe water. We spend all this money to chase these fish, why not take advantage? I know there are times when i know all i am casting for is to get a fish near my suckers.
dougj
Posted 4/23/2012 5:10 PM (#555224 - in reply to #554952)

Ha!

Hate to blow FSF's seemingly holler-than-thou Internet masquerade. I happen to know that he actually trolls, and even catches a fish doing that at times.

What he's really into is stirring up controversy like several others on the site. It's a good way to get folks involved. Sometimes with good results, sometimes not.

Don't believe everything you read on the Web!

Doug Johnson

Edited by dougj 4/23/2012 5:15 PM
firstsixfeet
Posted 4/23/2012 5:23 PM (#555228 - in reply to #555224)

dougj - 4/23/2012 5:10 PM

Ha!

Hate to blow FSF's seemingly holler-than-thou Internet masquerade. I happen to know that he actually trolls, and even catches a fish doing that at times.

What he's really into is stirring up controversy like several others on the site. It's a good way to get folks involved. Sometimes with good results, sometimes not.

Don't believe everything you read on the Web!

Doug Johnson

Yes, but unlike some Canadian guides that are wedded to the technique for about a month a year, I just do it to prove, ANY IDIOT CAN CATCH MUSKIES EASILY BY TROLLING. I also have to be able to tell those that claim I haven't done it, or don't know how to do it, that I have, and I do, and my success PROVES any idiot can troll up a muskie. In fact, I have caught more muskies trolling, in less time, than tribal netting has taken in both TN AND KY.

I even have a quote from a well known guide claiming that fish taken trolling should only count 1/3 as much as a fish caught casting. Obviously, THAT GUIDE feels it is 3X as easy to catch muskies trolling.

Hey, I don't invent this stuff, and I KNOW what I am talking about...
sworrall
Posted 4/23/2012 5:36 PM (#555237 - in reply to #554952)

FSF,
What about those waders, huh?

What's the WLMC?

Who's Vince?

I am so consufed.
dougj
Posted 4/23/2012 5:46 PM (#555243 - in reply to #554952)

Well:

I can't believe that you actually posted this.  "ANY IDIOT CAN CATCH MUSKIES EASILY BY TROLLING"

Then you say that you troll. Sounds like you are saying that you're an Idiot! I sort of doubt that, you always seemed like a pretty smart fellow to me.

The well known guide who says it's three time easier to catch fish trolling is only talking about the physical effort, not the amount of skill it takes to catch the fish. Trolling is hard work mentally, but not physically.

Sturgeon are biting! Lakers next week.

Doug Johnson

Esox-Hunter
Posted 4/23/2012 5:50 PM (#555244 - in reply to #555243)

I don’t fish muskies often but when I do its suckers! Sorry I couldn’t resist! LOL…
sworrall
Posted 4/23/2012 5:51 PM (#555245 - in reply to #554952)

'Trolling is hard work mentally, but not physically.'

I wonder if this has anything to do with the voting down trolling up here all the time in the CC Hearings.

Hmphh.
happy hooker
Posted 4/23/2012 6:45 PM (#555258 - in reply to #555094)

if your fishing a sucker on a weed edge in the metro then you ARE concentrating on it because theres only one line allowed "your only fishing one line right" Im talking where two line are legal and dragging one off the back while your attention is up front looking at your lure your casting and working,,,hooking a muskie just on the drag or when you hear the clicker or b-2 'BINGO"!!! to me dosent seem llike alot of skill kinda like out west where their allowed to hunt turkeys with rifles dosent take alot of calling skill to nail a turkey from half a canyon away

Edited by happy hooker 4/23/2012 6:53 PM
ToddM
Posted 4/23/2012 8:08 PM (#555281 - in reply to #554952)

Well, one thing about suckers, handling them can get the boat carpet wet while rigging. That late fall cold water can get FSF bare feet mighty cold.

Edited by ToddM 4/23/2012 8:10 PM
archerynut36
Posted 4/23/2012 8:26 PM (#555289 - in reply to #555237)

sworrall - 4/23/2012 6:36 PM

FSF,
What about those waders, huh?

What's the WLMC?
Webster Lake Musky Club
Who's Vince?
Weirick
I am so consufed.

steve i am confused too. maybee rick posted something and it got deleated. its happend to the best of us.
JKahler
Posted 4/24/2012 2:58 AM (#555328 - in reply to #555115)

sworrall - 4/23/2012 11:57 AM

I don't fish suckers much. In fact, I never have when I am fishing alone. Slamr is pretty good at it, and we lose a fair number anyway. TJ is good at it too, but I have yet to get one on a sucker with him. Lost a big one though.

I fish tip-ups and minnows for crappies too. FSF, you need to move west or south, buy the correct extremely expensive vest and clothing including the proper hat, and become a stream fly rod trout fly tying $1500 wader wearing card carrying snob so I can show up and outfish you using canned corn or Gulp salmon eggs.

Remember, dry flies only! Nymphing is cheating.
JKahler
Posted 4/24/2012 3:04 AM (#555329 - in reply to #555084)

happy hooker - 4/23/2012 10:06 AM

---------- I realize that it takes skill to play and land the fish but was there any skill in triggering it??.

Boat control is a skill. I am a terrible sucker fisherman. I can catch fish trolling, but prefer casting. I'm really starting to get into trolling after this past fall.

It's all a tool, my goal is fish in the boat and I will use any legal method to accomplish that (except one hook kill rigs for suckers).

When someone downplays anothers accomplishment by saying something like "nice fish, but he got it on a sucker/trolling.."... reeks of jealousy and poor sportsmanship.

Edited by JKahler 4/24/2012 3:06 AM
J.Sloan
Posted 4/24/2012 4:38 AM (#555331 - in reply to #554952)

Any legal method of hook and line fishing not used by a angler A, and used successfully by angler B, will be defined as 'cheating' by angler A.

JS
Tim R
Posted 4/24/2012 5:42 AM (#555332 - in reply to #554952)

Say No to Live Bait !! Whats the big deal against trolling for muskie ?? If you want to take someone out who's new to the species,there is no better way.Having them throw 2lb bucktails into the wind all day aint gonna make them excited. On Lake St Clair which is a muskie heaven,the guides down rig for them.Never been but lots of friends have.They loved it.
BSG
Posted 4/24/2012 5:54 AM (#555334 - in reply to #555329)

In my book it's two different types of fishing. No big deal, But.....

Catching a fish on a sucker rig and catching a fish on the 8 are two totally different accomplishments in my book. Many guys will mess up a fish on the 8.
-Guy casting all day and tagging one on the 8 is a much better fisherman in my book.
-Guy sitting in the boat dragging meat all day, running the I-pilot watching the graph. You won't get an "atta guy" from me.

Here in MN, I'm glad we don't have the 2 line rule just for this reason. I'll out work the guys dragging suckers around all day. And i'll have more fun doing it too.
sworrall
Posted 4/24/2012 7:06 AM (#555338 - in reply to #554952)

'Many guys will mess up a fish on the 8.'
I'd argue that isn't necessarily so, unless one is a rookie.
I'm pretty sure no one is asking for an 'atta guy'. As far as the 'outwork' thing, unless it's way below freezing out, most folks over here are casting all day and have a sucker out as well. Where there is one line allowed like MN, it becomes a choice, and I'd go for casting...unless it's way below freezing out, in which case I'd be getting the Frabill shelter ready. So if I am casting all day and get two on gliders and two on quick strike rigs, I really don't care how anyone classifies that. I had a great day.
BenR
Posted 4/24/2012 7:17 AM (#555341 - in reply to #555115)

sworrall - 4/23/2012 11:57 AM

I don't fish suckers much. In fact, I never have when I am fishing alone. Slamr is pretty good at it, and we lose a fair number anyway. TJ is good at it too, but I have yet to get one on a sucker with him. Lost a big one though.

I fish tip-ups and minnows for crappies too. FSF, you need to move west or south, buy the correct extremely expensive vest and clothing including the proper hat, and become a stream fly rod trout fly tying $1500 wader wearing card carrying snob so I can show up and outfish you using canned corn or Gulp salmon eggs.

Steve spend a good amount of time fly fishing here in CO and have not ran into a single fly fisherman that could rival a muskie fisherman in blind passion and fanaticism. I have seen some nice dressed ones:-) I will however take you up on the corn vs the fly if you make it out west. Managed to win a similar bet with a buddy who was using worms. BenR
sworrall
Posted 4/24/2012 7:22 AM (#555343 - in reply to #554952)

Ben, that would be fun. Sue and I fish the White River occasionally, using spinning rods, and get some sideways looks and comments from the dry fly crowd, but that's OK. Some days we hand it to 'em, some it's the other way around. We do better on Bull Shoals, where the rainbows eat little minnows like candy.
BenR
Posted 4/24/2012 7:36 AM (#555347 - in reply to #554952)

No doubt there are some out there, they also look at people like me using streamers or nymphs a bit sideways as well. They tend to leave me alone as I am dressed more like homeless fisherman than a fly fisherman:) bR
Shep
Posted 4/24/2012 8:15 AM (#555355 - in reply to #555192)

Seems that those from MN have a stronger opinion against live bait and trolling.

I think it's line-envy.

We get to use 3 lines here in WI. Heck, there's days I've had two suckers out, and casted with my 3rd line. But I don't drag suckers. They are always straight down from the rod tip, and I'm position fishing them over structure.
Posted 4/24/2012 8:41 AM (#555360 - in reply to #554952)

Tell you what, for all of you that think sucker fishing is so "easy", let's see you rig one up, set it out and set the hook on one. If you don't "know" what you are doing you're probably gonna fail, even though it's that easy.

There is a big difference in guys who hook and land lots of fish on suckers and those that don't, just like casting.

Some of us are good at it, some are just going through the motions no matter what technique you are using.

But if people want to beat their chests 'cause they don't fish suckers, more power to ya.

Personally I'd rather be good at all the techniques out there than just a couple.

JS

jonnysled
Posted 4/24/2012 8:44 AM (#555363 - in reply to #555360)

Guest - 4/24/2012 8:41 AM

Tell you what, for all of you that think sucker fishing is so "easy", let's see you rig one up, set it out and set the hook on one. If you don't "know" what you are doing you're probably gonna fail, even though it's that easy.

There is a big difference in guys who hook and land lots of fish on suckers and those that don't, just like casting.

Some of us are good at it, some are just going through the motions no matter what technique you are using.

But if people want to beat their chests 'cause they don't fish suckers, more power to ya.

Personally I'd rather be good at all the techniques out there than just a couple.

JS

and here all the while i thought you knew the secret handshake ...
Flambeauski
Posted 4/24/2012 9:02 AM (#555367 - in reply to #555341)

Steve spend a good amount of time fly fishing here in CO and have not ran into a single fly fisherman that could rival a muskie fisherman in blind passion and fanaticism. I have seen some nice dressed ones:-) I will however take you up on the corn vs the fly if you make it out west. Managed to win a similar bet with a buddy who was using worms. BenR

Then you haven't met many serious fly fisherman. Look at the traffic on some of those fly websites, and the scorn for people who use beads. BEADS!!!!

BSG, no one has more fun than I do when I'm fishing suckers. No one.
BenR
Posted 4/24/2012 9:11 AM (#555372 - in reply to #555367)

Flambeauski - 4/24/2012 9:02 AM

Then you haven't met many serious fly fisherman. Look at the traffic on some of those fly websites, and the scorn for people who use beads. BEADS!!!!

BSG, no one has more fun than I do when I'm fishing suckers. No one.

I don't spend much time on fly fishing websites, I feel my obligation to help Muskie First is more important so my web time is used to help out here. BR
happy hooker
Posted 4/24/2012 9:50 AM (#555382 - in reply to #555372)

in fly fishing streamer flies arent fly fishing!!! their lures not flies,,,streamers mimic suckers
Flambeauski
Posted 4/24/2012 10:01 AM (#555384 - in reply to #554952)

Droppers are considered cheating as well. Two lines. MN residents can relate.
vegas492
Posted 4/24/2012 10:46 AM (#555393 - in reply to #554952)

I'm in WI. I've been outworked by plenty of casters in the fall. Man, I get exhausted (and cold) just watching them cast, reel, de-ice their guides, warm their hands, then cast again. And catch no fish or few fish.

Me? I'll run my suckers in a nice staggered pattern, drink my coffee and catch multiple fish in a trip. I'm lazy. Those casters really outwork me though!
Flambeauski
Posted 4/24/2012 11:12 AM (#555398 - in reply to #554952)

And they have more fun.
Jump to page : 1 2 3
Now viewing page 2 [30 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)