Muskie Discussion Forums

Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Language | Blogs Search | Statistics | User Listing
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Random quote: Rules of Manhood #7: Unless he murdered someone in your family, you must bail a friend out of jail within 12 hours.
- (Added by: Snowcrest 6)

Moderators: Slamr

View previous thread :: View next thread
Jump to page : 1 2 3
Now viewing page 2 [30 messages per page]

More Muskie Fishing -> Basement Baits and Custom Lure Painting -> Basement Baits World Championship, Submit Your Lure!

Message Subject: Basement Baits World Championship, Submit Your Lure!
MACONE
Posted 1/9/2012 10:39 AM (#532006 - in reply to #529320)
Subject: Re: Basement Baits World Championship, Submit Your Lure!

Yes could you please comment more about the auction, is the auction going to be Sunday right after the winners are announced?
jbreivogel
Posted 1/9/2012 12:20 PM (#532026 - in reply to #531992)
Subject: RE: Basement Baits World Championship, Submit Your Lure!

Thanks for all of your input, I am making notes of all of your suggestions, I think this will grow year after year and will accomodate most bait makers. We would really like the most participation as we can get this year so we can have a good base of participants for future years. The success of this years show depends on participation and ideas of how we can grow the contest. I am really looking forward to see how we can influence the sport. Keep the ideas coming. Thank you!!!
jbreivogel
Posted 1/9/2012 12:24 PM (#532028 - in reply to #532026)

I beleive the auction will be around 3pm after we announce the winners.
2 many questions
Posted 1/9/2012 2:44 PM (#532058 - in reply to #532028)

Looking over the entry form, I think that I'll take a pass this year strictly based on criteria. I remember when the basement was a happy little place.
"Eyes" are a criteria? Some guys, or should I say most are limited to whats available on-line, period.
"Realistic Features"...so is this going to turn into a decoy carving contest? Firetiger, Bumblebee and more get tossed out because they have no realistic features, but they catch lots of fish.
"Overspray", Overspray is how you create colors by blending 2 or more. Does this penalize guys who use tape and stencils because of a lack of overspray?
"Durability", are you going to throw it on the floor 100 times?
What is a "Professional/Basement"? Guys who sell a few lures? How many lures makes you a pro/basement? I give more to outings and clubs than I sell, do I get a deduction?
"Hand Crafted Musky Lures", so guys who use CNC machines to duplicate blanks are not allowed?
I think its a cool thing, but there are 2 many questions. No catagory for guys that do restoration and repaints? Why not? You're eliminating some great artists right off the bat.
It'll be interesting to watch, I'll say that much.
The fix is in...
Posted 1/9/2012 3:44 PM (#532069 - in reply to #529320)

On the expo's website it says: "All proceeds from the entries and auction will be donated to a charity that will benefit musky fishing, NPAA."
http://www.muskieexpo.com/pages/new-world-championship-handcrafted-...

Am I understanding this correctly that the proceeds from the lure auction will be donated to the National Professional Anglers Association?
2 many questions
Posted 1/9/2012 4:05 PM (#532071 - in reply to #532069)

That's a Charity?
Other things have come to mind. If you pay to enter a contest, doesn't that make you a professional?
One bad thing I can see coming out of this is the guys that make less than 100 lures a year and sell 50 or more to defray costs are going to have an IRS bullseye on their backs. I pay sales tax on everything that I buy to make lures, and sell them exclusively to muskiefirst members. I'll continue to do that and keep my anonimity while making lures for m1st members. Manufacturers and professionals have their businesses set up and fill out the appropriate forms. I am a "hobbyist" pure and simple, and I'm not putting my name out there for the Feds to start looking at me, especially at a show where they check every booth the way it is. This should be a display pure and simple. If you want guys to see your wares, have a place where you can do it. Afterall, that is what The Basement was meant to be in the beginning, but I guess we've lost our way.
jbreivogel
Posted 1/9/2012 6:55 PM (#532106 - in reply to #532071)

Thanks for the opinions and suggestions!
The criteria that I listed is just guidelines and are things that the voters could look for, but are definitely not limited to. They can vote for their favorite lure and take into consideration other factors as well.
Realistic features is another guideline not a limitation.
Overspray is definitely not blending and this comes into how neat the lure is created without getting paint where it is not intended. Stencils and taping may be an artists tool to create a certain look and is their interpretation how a lure should look and should definitely not be penalized.
Durability is subjective but should be considered. For example you don't want thin wire hooks on a musky lure or a flexible bill on a lure that should dive 20 feet.
We are looking for originals at this point, however a cnc bait that is an original should be considered.
We thought about a repaint division, and may be considered for future years, however we want to stick to originals this year.
This is a contest to highlight the amazing craftsmen and artists that create works of art which also can catch muskies. More importantly this competition is going to support the kids involvement in musky fishing and may not be for everyone. If this doesn't trip your trigger, you don't have to enter. Fishing and lure making is a sport to enjoy and have fun and to introduce young people to an awesome hobby!
sworrall
Posted 1/10/2012 12:01 AM (#532162 - in reply to #529320)

The NPAA does exceptional non-profit work in bringing youth into the sport.

The NPAA is a non profit comprised of hundreds of Pro anglers, Guides, and other involved fishermen and women who's mantra for 2012 is ' Look to the Future!'

OutdoorsFIRST Media is a Gold Level supporting partner and I am a member of the NPAA.

Last year, NPAA Kids and Family fishing events staffed by volunteer Pro anglers at MWC, AIM, and FLW events put over 300 rod and reel combos into the hands of kids who would not otherwise have them, a free T shirt for the Pros to sign, and many times even more. Not a penny for an aspiring young angler to attend, learn how to fish, and walk away with a nice new rod and reel.

Total Kids and Family Fishing support from the NPAA was over $30,000 last year, including dozens of programs hosted by Pros in communities across the country.

That's investing in the future of the sport, and OFM is proud to be the main media source covering the Kids and Family Fishing events.

At this year's conference the NPAA announced a new foundation that will actively engage youth bringing hundreds of kids into the sport. Our good friends at he JJ Keller Foundation and a dedicated group of investors put up the seed money to make the efforts of the NPAA even more effective, and the Membership of the NPAA will step up to make this an incredible success.

So yeah, the NPAA would meet the criteria.

From today's NPAA 2012 Conference Press release:
'With nearly 40 Supporting Partners and newest partner Warrior Boats, Pat Neu said the NPAA is poised for growth (and has even been growing in this tough economic climate). The Future Anglers Foundation will be a 501C3 non-profit foundation with the goal of supporting individuals and organizations that share their passion via schools, events and other outreach efforts to attract more anglers to the sport. "Last year, thanks to many sponsors and funding from NPAA, we gave away $40,000 worth of rods, reels and tackle to kids. We must continue to reach them and their parents," he said. "That's the reason for the Foundation."

Additional news from the conference will be discussed and shared on the NPAA website and in future news releases.

The NPAA is a non-profit organization focused on growing the sport of fishing and increasing the professionalism of its members. Supporting Partners include: Navionics, Mercury Marine, Evinrude Outboards, Yamaha, Lund Boats, Ranger Boats, The Next Bite, Oahe Wings and Walleyes Guide Service, Outdoor First Media, Pure Fishing, Fish On Kids Books, Advanced Tex Screen Printing, Worldwide Marine Insurance, FLW Outdoors, AIM, North American Media Group, Frabill, John Butts Outdoors, J.J. Keller Fishing Team, The Reel Shot, U.S. Forest Service, Great Lakes Sea Grant, FPS Financial Planning Services, Off-Shore Tackle, Fin-Tech Tackle, Kingfisher Boats, Liddle Marketing, Mutual of Omaha, Northland Fishing Tackle, Optima Batteries, Simms Fishing Products, Pasha Lake Cabins, National Fleet Graphics, Arrowhead Promotion, G2 Gemini, and High Tech Fishing. More NPAA member and association news can be viewed at www.npaa.net.

Call Pat Neu, executive director, 920-856-6151 with questions.'

----

No one said anyone here HAS to enter. If you don't wish to, by all means, then don't, but allow that the idea is a good one and that there are plenty of lure builders who might want to. It IS 'just a display', not a booth where the baits will be for sale, and by the way, it's the MuskieFIRST booth. No bullseye of any kind anywhere, the lures are advertised as Basement Bait creations or customs if that's the category and not available for sale at the show in most cases.

sworrall
Posted 1/10/2012 12:03 AM (#532163 - in reply to #532162)

2011 Brimley Michigan NPAA Kids and Family Fishing Event

OFM was in the field 8 Saturdays last year covering the events who hosted the NPAA Kids and Family Fishing events, and working with the NPAA to promote kids and family fishing.

I personally think it was worth the time in spades.

castmaster
Posted 1/10/2012 4:43 PM (#532246 - in reply to #529320)

I'm still on the fence deciding whether to enter or not. Reading that baits "built" using a cnc will be allowed is a little troubling to me. To me "handcrafted" means just that....starting with a chunk of wood and using hand tools to shape the lure, be it a lathe, sander, dremel etc. Programming a cnc to cut/shape a bait just doesnt cut it as "handcrafted" in my humble opinion.

Also not completely understanding what separates an amateur from a professional/basement builder from a manufacturer. Perhaps setting some criteria for each would be a good idea. It doesnt seem like a level playing field if a guy that makes 25 baits a year can end up in the same category as someone making hundreds. Call me cynical, but I can see some fellas entering the amateur category thinking they will have better odds of winning, even if they arent really "amateurs".
DIZZYHORSE
Posted 1/10/2012 7:11 PM (#532267 - in reply to #529320)

Yikes, I didn't know this would get this serious. For those unsure whether or not to enter... Please ship your baits to me... I will personally test them over the next couple years to see if they work. I will personally email you testing results and whether or not you should enter future lure building competitions. Keep in mind I will base judging criteria strictly upon the number if fish I can catch with your lure. If it doesn't catch fish, I will put it on eBay and the highest selling price will earn a consolation 2nd place. My comments are of course a joke, so please don't bash me. Everybody has there own way of doing things, even as the aforementioned screw eye guest anonymously stated . Take it for whats its for, but I think looking at this booth will be well worth the admission fee in itself.

PS: last guest please note Castmaster profile pic, assuming he built that, it looks nice he knows what he's doin'

Edited by DIZZYHORSE 1/10/2012 7:13 PM
sworrall
Posted 1/10/2012 11:10 PM (#532300 - in reply to #529320)

Don't enter if you think there's some sort of conspiracy. (There isn't)

There's THOUSANDS of attendees at the show from all over the Midwest. Many will vote because the display will interest them, and I promise you, most will have NO CLUE who you are. How in Hades is this even close to possible to be made a 'popularity contest'? You think some bait builder is going to pay hundreds of random people to vote for him? Get real, and login if you want to complain.

A manufacturer is one who distributes large numbers of baits through retailers. That's easy.

Pikopath
Posted 1/11/2012 1:48 AM (#532305 - in reply to #529320)

A handcrafted lure would IMO be a piece of wood and a knife. Whether one uses a CNC or bandsaw/router, its not very hand crafted compared to a knife. Besides, how many in here can actually model in 3d, and program a cnc?
Being a former 3d modeller, I would easily sayt that carving out gills and such details with a knife is far easier than doing it on a computer in a CAD program, quicker aswell. Yes I use CNC, but when it comes to carving details, I dont. I cut out blanks, after I have made and tested some handcrafted prototypes.
As for the contest itself, I think its way cool, even tho I find some of the negative arguments here to be true or plausible. I hope I find the time, and a way to transfer the entry fee, so I can represent Norway here If not I will enter next year...
MACONE
Posted 1/11/2012 5:31 AM (#532308 - in reply to #529320)

I’m sure there has been a lot of people working very hard to put this event together You should be thankful you’re getting an opportunity to compete in such a prestigious event, win or lose it’s going to be a tremendous event, seeing all of this talent in one place, just use good common sense when entering your bait, and follow the rules, I made my lure from a block of wood turned it on the lathe shaped it the way I wanted it, built everything from scratch including the metal work and then put my artistic ability’s to work on my paint job all sense the competition was announced and as far as professional/basement verses Amateur each of know your own ability’s, I paint about 4 or 5 bait per year and just started two years ago, but my ability is in the professional/basement division, I feel that the Amateur division is for the new guys just starting out, use your best judgment, and enjoy these masterpieces these talented artist have painted for you and compete if what to or stop complaining.
MRichardson
Posted 1/11/2012 10:31 AM (#532344 - in reply to #529320)

I questioned what the definition of “handcrafted” was on another thread about the contest and whether I could participate or not.  I was told yes I can as a manufacturer.  So that’s fine, I sold less than a hundred lures last year, but maybe that’s just my laissez-faire business manner.  I do have a full time job in order to pays the bills.  I have the lure biz because I enjoy it as a hobby.   I love developing lures and love musky fishing.  I do use a CNC to make my baits.  I spent many many hours CAD designing, CNC cutting prototypes out of wood, testing, dremmeling, weighting, measuring, re-designing, re-cutting until I finally had the shape and action I wanted in the final prototypes.  I then made a mold from steel and spent many more hours coming up with a material mix and processing the molding machine to get the density I wanted.  Does this make me less of a craftsman than someone with a lathe and band saw?  I don’t think so.  I just use a different set of tools.  To me it’s all about the creativity, craft, and talent of the individual. I think that’s a key point too, the bait maker submitting the bait needs to be the one who designed, made, and painted it.  It’s not like I called up china and said copy this bait or send me a stock item, I did it all myself.  Unless we are all handed the same block of wood and knife, or handed the same blank to paint, there are way too many different techniques to regulate and their concept of categories seems pretty good IMO
Beaver
Posted 1/11/2012 4:00 PM (#532398 - in reply to #532344)

It's always been said that lures catch more fishermen than fish, we're about to see how correct that statement is.
I went through my glider box the other day and found a few that I would like to enter, but that would have meant putting new clear coat on them to cover the rash and other marks. Besides, when I make lures for myself, I don't care if it's sanded to perfection and that it looks flawless. Back in the day when I was selling some lures to muskiefirsters, I was way more particular. If I ever feel that I can spend hours on end out in the garage, I'll start making more lures and put them up for sale here, exclusively.
So, during the last 2 days, I spent a couple of hours a day out in the garage making a few lures to consider for display, so I was very tedious. Band saw, router, sander, weighting and balancing and then priming and painting. I have yet to clear coat them, but I'm proud of all of them and have one favorite, so I guess I'll have one fresh one for the display. Do I care if I win or place? Hell no. Any lure that has ever left this house I have been proud of. Whether selling a few or donating them to outings, I always try my best, and though I will never make it as a manufacturer, or get rich selling the lures I make, I don't care. It's my hobby, my passion, and which ever one hangs on the wall in the booth, I'll be proud of it. I will probably bid on my own lure so I can get it back.
They are auctioning off all of the entries, correct? Or just the winners?

Edited by Beaver 1/11/2012 4:04 PM
knooter
Posted 1/11/2012 8:07 PM (#532441 - in reply to #529320)

I'd like to enter the contest, but no guarantees. 3 kids under 5 makes it tough for me to finish anything on a schedule. If nothing else, I can't wait to see pictures of all the entries. There will surely be some amazing baits entered.
uptown
Posted 1/11/2012 10:40 PM (#532468 - in reply to #529320)

I dont get it.

I posted a couple of post stating that I think this will be pretty cool and that it sounds like John is taking the suggestions serious.

I wished everyone that enters good luck,but stated that it is not for me personally -at this point.

Both post were pulled. Were they too postive ? All of the negative post are still up. I am confused .

Is it the comment about my friend Larry D? If so it was a joke . Just trying add some levity to what has turned out to be serious business.

Please let me know what it is , so I can stop doing it

Joe
Trueglide

Edited by uptown 1/11/2012 10:41 PM
Posted 1/12/2012 12:14 AM (#532474 - in reply to #529320)

sworrall
i hope someone is gonna cover that awesome event?
a nice video of every baits would be nice
RiverMan
Posted 1/12/2012 10:54 AM (#532512 - in reply to #529320)

Not me for right now either but I do think it's a great idea and should be a lot of fun. Best of luck to everyone.

Jed V.
FUBAR
Posted 1/16/2012 6:49 PM (#533309 - in reply to #529320)

Is there going to be any coverage of the lure contest posted on the board...........or will there be anywhere else that it can been viewed ?

Mark
jbreivogel
Posted 1/22/2012 2:00 PM (#534303 - in reply to #529320)

Just a reminder that there is less than 3 weeks left until the first ever Musky Lure World Championship and less than 2 weeks until the lures need to be submitted. I have been getting some great entries - looking forward to seeing the different creations.
MEISTERICS
Posted 1/23/2012 7:53 AM (#534410 - in reply to #529320)

I am finishing up my lure in the next day or so.. I should have it in the mail by thursday.
Posted 1/23/2012 3:14 PM (#534475 - in reply to #534303)

jbreivogel - 1/22/2012 2:00 PM

Just a reminder that there is less than 3 weeks left until the first ever Musky Lure World Championship and less than 2 weeks until the lures need to be submitted. I have been getting some great entries - looking forward to seeing the different creations.

can you answer the question of fubar?
jbreivogel
Posted 1/23/2012 7:10 PM (#534518 - in reply to #529320)

I'm sorry, missed that one. From what I understand there will be a video crew covering the expo as well as the lure contest. Being that this is the first event of its kind I am going to try to get as much coverage as possible.
MRichardson
Posted 1/24/2012 5:01 PM (#534675 - in reply to #534518)

So hey, if these get tested before hand are you going to wipe off the water spots with a cloth baby diaper? lol

Any chance of the auction being an online auction?

jbreivogel
Posted 1/26/2012 2:58 PM (#534987 - in reply to #529320)

The entries are rolling in now, just a reminder, less than a week to get them to me.
We may look at an online auction next year.

Thanks for the questions and support!
Posted 1/27/2012 7:59 AM (#535122 - in reply to #529320)

For any of you still on the fence on entering a lure, I will extend the deadline and accept them through Feb 3rd. Thanks.
Beaver
Posted 2/2/2012 5:06 AM (#536240 - in reply to #535122)

Are they auctioning all of the lures or just the winners??? This will be a determining factor in how much cash I bring or don't bring. Do we demo our own lures? I know there used to be a rule that you couldn't use the tank if the lure wasn't for sale.

Edited by Beaver 2/2/2012 5:09 AM
jbreivogel
Posted 2/2/2012 12:25 PM (#536320 - in reply to #529320)

We will be auctioning off all of the lures, not sure about the tank, however that may be a last minute thing depending on the existing tank schedule.
Jump to page : 1 2 3
Now viewing page 2 [30 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)