Muskie Discussion Forums

Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Language | Blogs Search | Statistics | User Listing
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )
Moderators: Slamr

View previous thread :: View next thread
Jump to page : 1 2 3
Now viewing page 2 [30 messages per page]

Muskie Fishing -> General Discussion -> Any tips for musky hunting alone?

Message Subject: Any tips for musky hunting alone?
Brian
Posted 4/12/2012 12:26 PM (#552688 - in reply to #511068)
Subject: RE: Any tips for musky hunting alone?

Although it has never happened to me, I hear that it is difficult to get back in the boat if you fall in because of the weight of your wet clothes. One option is to climb on the motor to get back in. Another is to make a rope with foot loops (and leave it attached to the boat at all times) so you can climb back in using the foot loops.

Brian
horsehunter
Posted 4/12/2012 12:33 PM (#552691 - in reply to #511068)
Subject: Re: Any tips for musky hunting alone?

Wear your kill switch when running gas motor
Jerry Newman
Posted 4/12/2012 1:58 PM (#552706 - in reply to #552691)

horsehunter - 4/12/2012 12:33 PM Wear your kill switch when running gas motor

Wearing a life vest and, attaching the kill switch is mandatory if you value your life, whether you're fishing alone or not.

firstsixfeet
Posted 4/12/2012 2:20 PM (#552709 - in reply to #552706)

Jerry Newman - 4/12/2012 1:58 PM

Wearing a life vest and, attaching the kill switch is mandatory if you value your life, whether you're fishing alone or not.

Or get incredibly wild and don't do those things.

Do you guys realize how many boating miles people go without being thrown out of the boat while under power? If your boat is such a menace maybe you should slow down.
firstsixfeet
Posted 4/12/2012 2:22 PM (#552710 - in reply to #511068)

And fish after dark as much as possible, it is very productive on clear water lakes.
Jerry Newman
Posted 4/12/2012 4:54 PM (#552735 - in reply to #552709)

firstsixfeet - 4/12/2012 2:20 PM
Jerry Newman - 4/12/2012 1:58 PM

Or get incredibly wild and don't do those things. Do you guys realize how many boating miles people go without being thrown out of the boat while under power? If your boat is such a menace maybe you should slow down.

And do you know how many miles are driven every year in cars by foolish drivers who wear their seatbelts and pay extra money for cars with better airbags? Tell you what,  try convincing some of these people not to clip the engine kill lanyard on and wear their life jacket when they're under power. Don't be such a tool...  

http://www.catfish1.com/forums/showthread.php?179790-Kill-Switch-Safety-Lanyard-Not-Just-There-Because-It-Looks-Pretty

http://forums.floridasportsman.com/archive/index.php/t-33985.html?s=4f436abcbff81255056ae9db7ca797b3

http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=thrown%20from%20a%20bass%20boat%20with%20engine%20kill%20lanyard%20attached&source=web&cd=11&ved=0CCEQFjAAOAo&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.bassboatmagazine.com%2Farchive%2Findex.php%2Ft-774.html&ei=PE2HT6unIumF8AHwrZCdCA&usg=AFQjCNGaJb9pOFQxI-2E7wUbQJ6JfI5KxQ&cad=rja

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZSxK9bhMNj8

Edited by Jerry Newman 4/12/2012 4:55 PM
firstsixfeet
Posted 4/12/2012 6:37 PM (#552758 - in reply to #511068)

You can't protect yourself against everything, try though you might.

At some point in life you gotta take the training wheels off.

It's not like the earth is UNDERCROWDED.

Posted 4/12/2012 6:56 PM (#552760 - in reply to #511068)

Take most of what is said here with a grain of salt.
Jerry Newman
Posted 4/12/2012 8:09 PM (#552780 - in reply to #511117)

Flambeauski - 8/9/2011 2:51 PM I almost always work parallel weed edges and drop offs,

That's a big edge that 1 person alone has, getting right on top of it and maximizing every cast. Plus, there's no arguing...

chasintails
Posted 4/13/2012 7:42 AM (#552848 - in reply to #511068)

Life vests and kill switches are hardly training wheels, and using them doesn't make you any less of a man.
horsehunter
Posted 4/13/2012 7:52 AM (#552849 - in reply to #552760)

Guest - 4/12/2012 7:56 PM

Take most of what is said here with a grain of salt.

Better use the whole box
Ronix
Posted 4/13/2012 8:50 AM (#552860 - in reply to #511068)

basic first aid kit...putting a 7/0 hook or tooth into your hand can really dampen your fishing if you dont have the wraps and antibiotics to patch it up (granted unless it requires medical attention then get your nice try off the lake)
Double D
Posted 4/13/2012 11:05 AM (#552886 - in reply to #511068)

I fish alone most of the time and love to fish windy banks. Catching and nettting in a stiff wind blowing you towards shore isn't too bad as long as you stay on the bow mount trolling motor. But when you lean over the side of the boat to unhook or cut hooks you will be blown onto the shore in seconds. Solution - Bring an anchor with you for those really windy days. Throw the anchor out the bow after netting the muskie to give yourself enough time to safely release the muskie without having your boat blown onto a rocky shoreline.
vegas492
Posted 4/13/2012 3:53 PM (#552934 - in reply to #511068)

Always forget the camera and the net. Then you will surely score a fish.

Seriously, though, invest in a Terrova trolling motor with iPilot. If/when you get a fish, you can have it take you away from shore/rocks...etc. Plus you can enter in a path and have the motor run it for you leaving you free to cast without having to work a motor. That trolling motor will seriously make life easier.
firstsixfeet
Posted 4/13/2012 8:31 PM (#552966 - in reply to #552860)

Ronix - 4/13/2012 8:50 AM

basic first aid kit...putting a 7/0 hook or tooth into your hand can really dampen your fishing if you dont have the wraps and antibiotics to patch it up (granted unless it requires medical attention then get your nice try off the lake)

Two words.
Duct Tape.

Any extra blood, drip it on your bucktail before you cast it, that drives the big ones crazy.

Antibiotics?? Maybe carry a surgical team with you also?
Musky Brian
Posted 4/14/2012 12:11 AM (#552999 - in reply to #552966)

I have no issues with the logic of people wearing life vests and using kill switches but it really depends on what kind of boat you are fishing out of and where/what kind of conditions you are fishing in...Does driving in a 619 in 5 MPH winds on a sunny day on a 200 acre lake require a life vest or killswitch? Probably not...Fishing in the middle of Mille Lacs in 5 footers? alright, sure

To each their own, I see a lot of talk on the boards about life vests but I never see them being worn in person..
Jerry Newman
Posted 4/14/2012 10:12 AM (#553031 - in reply to #552999)

I can't speak for anyone else here but I wear a life jacket at all times in the boat.

I honestly don't understand why everyone doesn't because once I put mine on… I forget about it. For those of you that don't, I would liken it to putting on a seat belt every time  you get in the car, after a while it's just habit.  Recently I got to thinking about what could happen if I fell out under power, so now I'm trying to get in the habit of putting on the lanyard.   

Story: A friend of mine (Bruce Wisner) never wore a jacket until a friend of his (Rich Wren) got thrown out of the boat under power. He disappeared beneath the water without a life jacket, and according to Bruce, he thought he would never see him again.

Bruce said the only thing that probably saved him was the air trapped in his rain suit because he bobbed to the surface (completely disorientated) and they were able to get him back in the boat.  If it wasn't raining that day where would Rich Wren be?  After that whenever Bruce and I fished together he would put the life jacket on when we were motoring to a different spot. I asked him why not just leave it on, seems like a hassle? He told me that he found to be uncomfortable while he was casting.

I agree that most people do not wear life jackets, or attach the kill switch lanyard at any speed... even though every boat is required to have them on board.

Top H2O
Posted 4/14/2012 6:43 PM (#553104 - in reply to #553031)

I have never used the kill switch cord in 20 some years............ And,..... I don't wear a life jacket unless the wind is blowing up 4-5 ft.waves, then I'll wear it.

I do have a ladder that deploys down to 2.5 ft into the water if I end up in the water for some reason.
I also don't hardly see anyone wearing their life jackets while out there.

Fsf is my kind of manly man!!!......................................... He probably uses his teeth to re-thread screws that have messed up threads.

Jerome
firstsixfeet
Posted 4/14/2012 10:10 PM (#553146 - in reply to #553104)

Top H2O - 4/14/2012 6:43 PM

I have never used the kill switch cord in 20 some years............ And,..... I don't wear a life jacket unless the wind is blowing up 4-5 ft.waves, then I'll wear it.

I do have a ladder that deploys down to 2.5 ft into the water if I end up in the water for some reason.
I also don't hardly see anyone wearing their life jackets while out there.

Fsf is my kind of manly man!!!......................................... He probably uses his teeth to re-thread screws that have messed up threads.

Jerome

Never needed to do that. Heck, the bone in my forehead is thick enough I can drive em in......just like nails!
dway
Posted 4/15/2012 1:29 AM (#553159 - in reply to #511068)

My four year old son fell into the water last year while wearing a life jacket. My first reaction was to jump in and save him. I didn't need to. His life jacket worked. I was wearing a sweatshirt jacket, jeans, and lightweight addidas. I consider myself a very good swimmer. I felt like I was(instantly) going to die! I couldn't even tread water wearing that. Luckily, I was right next to the gunnel of the boat. I grabbed it w/ the left hand and threw him back in w/ the right. 70 degree water. What would I do in December fishing alone in 38 degree water? I would drown. Carhart coat and bibs, long underwear, jeans, insulated socks, flannel shirt etc...DEAD. A life jacket is very important. Don't take it from me. I still, never wear one. That is a really stupid choice I continue to make since I fish alone 95% of the time.
Ruddiger
Posted 4/15/2012 12:21 PM (#553199 - in reply to #553159)

Howdy,

There are two types of fisherman, those that have fallen in, and those that will. If you have never had it happen you really don't realize how easy it is to do so and how hard it is to get back into the boat. Also, it usually happens when you are doing something you have done a thousand times without incident.

for me it happened in my mid 30's while deploying my Auto Pilot when it got stuck on its pads because of the heat. I was pushing hard and when it deployed my momentum took me with it. I did not have a vest on.

Pulling myself up over the side of the boat, even in July and warm water, was extremely difficult in 12 feet of water. Eventually I had to go to the back of the boat and use the cavitation plate as a step. My Dad also helped me back in. Keep in mind I weigh 160 pounds and am 6 foot tall. Being in shape wasn't the problem, but the angle created while being in the water, combined with the freeboard on my 620T, made it a lot harder than I ever imagined it would be.

Had I been alone, or had the motor been running, it would have been much harder. My point is, it was a freak thing, but freak things happen. Having it occur in October, while fishing alone, could have been a disaster.

That said, I fish alone with my dog most of the time. In addition to all of the other great tips mentioned earlier, I suggest keeping a clean deck so you don't snag or step on anything. Also, if you have an AP equipped motor, use it to take you to open water so you can focus on landing the fish. Finally, wear an inflatable vest. They really are unnoticeable once you have them on, and it may save your life when you fall in.

Take care,

Ruddiger
Herb_b
Posted 4/16/2012 11:08 AM (#553473 - in reply to #511068)

I always wear a life jacket. I have fallen in several times over the years. I also take my wallet and electronics out of my pockets first thing when I get in the boat. It is way to easy to lose your balance when fishing on busy lakes. One unexpected wave and in you go. I even went in a couple times when I wasn't ready and fish hit at boat side. The trick then is hanging onto the rod and getting back into the boat without losing the fish. I have only lost one rod that way.

As far as getting back into the boat, try adding a small ladder to the back of the boat. If you don't have room for one, then have a rope ladder easily accessable from outside of the boat. An AP makes fishing much easier if you are by yourself or not. Also, have the tools ready and a method for holding the net in place when releasing fish. I just wrap the top of the netting into the boat cleat.

Here are some boat ladders that work pretty good and are easy to install. I have the first one on my current boat. Had the second one on my last boat.
http://www.basspro.com/Folding-Ladder-Universal-Mount/product/803/1...
http://www.boatinggearcenter.com/p-2552-compact-transom-ladder-stai...

Edited by Herb_b 4/16/2012 11:11 AM
Jerry Newman
Posted 4/16/2012 12:16 PM (#553482 - in reply to #553104)

Top H2O - 4/14/2012 6:43 PM I have never used the kill switch cord in 20 some years............ And,..... I don't wear a life jacket unless the wind is blowing up 4-5 ft.waves, then I'll wear it. I do have a ladder that deploys down to 2.5 ft into the water if I end up in the water for some reason. I also don't hardly see anyone wearing their life jackets while out there. Fsf is my kind of manly man!!!......................................... He probably uses his teeth to re-thread screws that have messed up threads. Jerome

I wasn't going to even acknowledge 6’s post, but then you did… and now I feel compelled to say something a little more mature. I'm totally amazed that you think it's funny to mock the most basic of boating safety standards, and even though it may outwardly seem harmless to you, the fact is it's pretty irresponsible.

Why?  Well, it's one thing to decide not to wear a life vest yourself because you think you're too cool, or just plain lazy, it's quite another thing to try and impart your bad judgment here on other people… particularly kids who will be reading this. My opinion, not wearing a life vest is the equivalent of not wearing a helmet on a motorcycle, or seatbelts in a car. Of course there is no reason to wear one until an accident. The fact that surgeons prefer to people who don’t wear helmets as organ donors sums up the basic premise for stupidity.

Yeah, that's right I'm ripping on you… and if you and 6’ want to come on here and undermine my effort to promote safety with that brand of stupid manliness… you better come at me with something better than “nobody else is wearing them” and I have “20 years experience”.  Would you make kids wear life jackets in your boat, or perhaps like your hero 6’, you feel “It's not like the earth is UNDERCROWDED”… just pathetic. My guess is you're one of those “do as I say, not as I do” guys though… while a guy like 6’ might let four-year-olds run around the boat without a life vest while he drinks beer and pounds screws with his thick skull (his words).

My only intention was to answer a simple question, promote a little safety, and move on, but you jumped on here pretty much denouncing safety. Why? You're probably wondering about now why you've touched such a nerve with me? Truth be told... tragically, I watched a loved one needlessly drown on a perfectly calm lake when a PFD could have saved his life. I can still remember seeing him go down for the last time... all the bubbles coming up afterward, was bad. You hearing me clear enough? I doubt there's any changing 6’, but I hope you will at least consider being a little better ambassador for our sport in the future.

By the way, the last time I checked, hammers and screwdrivers were still considered “tools”.

Herb_b
Posted 4/16/2012 12:43 PM (#553489 - in reply to #511068)

Every year we read about people drowning for no reason other than they weren't wearing a life vest. There are so many life vest/preserver options now that it is no longer a matter of fishing in comfort without one or in discomfort with one. I prefer life vests with the mesh shoulder, but there are other types that are nice too. There are also the inflatable types that many people like. Here are a few links:

http://www.cabelas.com/catalog/browse/boating-life-jackets-vests-fi...
http://www.basspro.com/Life-Jackets/_/S-225017000

One thing is for certain: If you don't wear a life vest and end up drowning as a result, no one will talk about how smart you were at your funeral. I've been to a couple funerals like that and its always so sad and yet frustrating for the family and friends because it was so unnecessary. Seeing a life end early because they just wouldn't wear a life vest? Just joking about that seems not-so-bright.

Edited by Herb_b 4/16/2012 12:46 PM
smbrickner
Posted 4/16/2012 12:56 PM (#553494 - in reply to #511068)

When the big motor is running wear a vest.
If it's really choppy, wear a vest.
That's my rule, if you don't like fish out of someone elses boat.
Posted 4/16/2012 2:53 PM (#553537 - in reply to #511068)

Some great posts here guys, I'm checking out 1 of those inflatable ones right now, thanks for increasing awareness.
firstsixfeet
Posted 4/16/2012 7:28 PM (#553622 - in reply to #553489)

Herb_b - 4/16/2012 12:43 PM
One thing is for certain: If you don't wear a life vest and end up drowning as a result, no one will talk about how smart you were at your funeral. I've been to a couple funerals like that and its always so sad and yet frustrating for the family and friends because it was so unnecessary. Seeing a life end early because they just wouldn't wear a life vest? Just joking about that seems not-so-bright.

Herb, going back and forth with you AND Jerry Newman on a muskie chat board?
C'mon dweeb, no one will talk about how smart I am anyway...

firstsixfeet
Posted 4/16/2012 7:49 PM (#553630 - in reply to #553482)

Jerry Newman - 4/16/2012 12:16 PM

< wasn't going to even acknowledge 6’s post, but then you did… and now I feel compelled to say something a little more mature. I'm totally amazed that you think it's funny to mock the most basic of boating safety standards, and even though it may outwardly seem harmless to you, the fact is it's pretty irresponsible.

Why?  Well, it's one thing to decide not to wear a life vest yourself because you think you're too cool, or just plain lazy, it's quite another thing to try and impart your bad judgment here on other people… particularly kids who will be reading this. My opinion, not wearing a life vest is the equivalent of not wearing a helmet on a motorcycle, or seatbelts in a car. Of course there is no reason to wear one until an accident. The fact that surgeons prefer to people who don’t wear helmets as organ donors sums up the basic premise for stupidity.

Yeah, that's right I'm ripping on you… and if you and 6’ want to come on here and undermine my effort to promote safety with that brand of stupid manliness… you better come at me with something better than “nobody else is wearing them” and I have “20 years experience”.  Would you make kids wear life jackets in your boat, or perhaps like your hero 6’, you feel “It's not like the earth is UNDERCROWDED”… just pathetic. My guess is you're one of those “do as I say, not as I do” guys though… while a guy like 6’ might let four-year-olds run around the boat without a life vest while he drinks beer and pounds screws with his thick skull (his words).

My only intention was to answer a simple question, promote a little safety, and move on, but you jumped on here pretty much denouncing safety. Why? You're probably wondering about now why you've touched such a nerve with me? Truth be told... tragically, I watched a loved one needlessly drown on a perfectly calm lake when a PFD could have saved his life. I can still remember seeing him go down for the last time... all the bubbles coming up afterward, was bad. You hearing me clear enough? I doubt there's any changing 6’, but I hope you will at least consider being a little better ambassador for our sport in the future.

By the way, the last time I checked, hammers and screwdrivers were still considered “tools”.

Jerry, you have elevated gum gnashing and hand wringing to an art form. Maybe you should learn to swim.
sworrall
Posted 4/16/2012 7:56 PM (#553633 - in reply to #511068)

Care is advised when allowing FSF to mess with you, he can cut titanium with his wit.
jackson
Posted 4/17/2012 7:51 AM (#553726 - in reply to #511068)

wow, lots of people on here are treating this like you are crab fishing in Alaska all by yourself. Fishing for muskie alone is really no big deal. i do it all the time at my cabin. Quite simple actually, just keep your net close by as well as your hook removing tools. Once the fish is in the net, you take the hooks out. Take a pic, put the fish back in the water. I am certainly not going to tell you to send up warning flares and beacons and have a life boat near by.
Jump to page : 1 2 3
Now viewing page 2 [30 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)