Muskie Discussion Forums

Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Language | Blogs Search | Statistics | User Listing
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )
Moderators: Slamr

View previous thread :: View next thread
Jump to page : 1 2 3 4
Now viewing page 2 [30 messages per page]

Muskie Fishing -> General Discussion -> What not to do/say while muskie fishing

Message Subject: What not to do/say while muskie fishing
fish4musky1
Posted 7/27/2011 9:49 AM (#509193 - in reply to #509186)
Subject: Re: What not to do/say while muskie fishing

wallydiven - 7/27/2011 9:25 AM

Herb_b - 7/27/2011 9:14 AM

Captain, Remember that you're married young man...

I hate it when we get to the spot and then my fishing partner tells me they need to go to the bathroom. I understand it when my kids do that, but not adults.
Whatever it is you gotta do, just hang it over the boat. Just make sure you put the toilet paper in your own tackle box.

just hope no one on shore has binoculars.
Shoot2Kill
Posted 7/27/2011 9:49 AM (#509194 - in reply to #509133)

Kirby Budrow - 7/26/2011 9:48 PM

I also really hate when people call a muskie a skie. I realize its a very popular saying but it sounds so dumb and its really not hard to say the whole thing. Ya catching any skies lately? See.............

x 2 . I hate that. MU....it takes like what...an extra .001 second to put the MU in front of "skie". Drrrr.

This isn't in the boat - but it's related...

I just flat out hate talking about muskies with anyone that doesn't fish for them.
Co-worker was looking at a fish pic of mine on my desk one day....she says "that has to be photoshopped, no way someone could reel in a fish that big".......I didn't even know what to say.

I made the mention of "moon phases" to a non muskie person - that was not a good idea.

Shoot2Kill
Posted 7/27/2011 9:53 AM (#509195 - in reply to #509193)

fish4musky1 - 7/27/2011 9:49 AM

wallydiven - 7/27/2011 9:25 AM

I hate it when we get to the spot and then my fishing partner tells me they need to go to the bathroom. I understand it when my kids do that, but not adults.
Whatever it is you gotta do, just hang it over the boat. Just make sure you put the toilet paper in your own tackle box.

just hope no one on shore has binoculars.

Ha! Just did this one about 3 weeks ago over the side of the boat...it was prime time...no way I was leaving the lake for that.
THA4
Posted 7/27/2011 10:11 AM (#509201 - in reply to #509195)

Shoot2Kill - 7/27/2011 9:53 AM

Ha! Just did this one about 3 weeks ago over the side of the boat...it was prime time...no way I was leaving the lake for that.

Thats not even cool.... the bar is just a few minute drive over there.... When you gotta go, you gotta go. Thanks for the Burger King by the way..... :D
Captain
Posted 7/27/2011 10:18 AM (#509202 - in reply to #509182)

I

Well that answers who's been living in my house and spending all my money then. Thanks Herb! LOL
Mosdef
Posted 7/27/2011 1:28 PM (#509231 - in reply to #508937)

If you need a mirror to see your private parts... Leave your shirt on please.
Shoot2Kill
Posted 7/27/2011 2:02 PM (#509239 - in reply to #509201)

THA4 - 7/27/2011 10:11 AM

Shoot2Kill - 7/27/2011 9:53 AM

Thats not even cool.... the bar is just a few minute drive over there.... When you gotta go, you gotta go. Thanks for the Burger King by the way..... :D

Not that lake! I paid Sugar back for all the pain it's put me through.
muskiemanAD
Posted 7/27/2011 2:04 PM (#509240 - in reply to #508937)
Subject: RE: What not to do/say while muskie fishing

When we are fishing in my boat and I invite someone out and they say "you got the beer?" Sorry my boat you bring beverages!
Posted 7/27/2011 5:59 PM (#509286 - in reply to #508937)

I hear yelling Jerry Sondag on the hook set vastly increases the chance of netting the fish.
Sorgy
Posted 7/27/2011 7:10 PM (#509302 - in reply to #509286)

Just as you are pulling away from the dock in the AM to say hold it I have to hit the can.- My brother in law used to pulll this- get up 20 minuets earlier than the guide to make sure that your buisness is taken care of. He has been left behind until I can return after fishing a spot or two
Yelling "Fish On" usually speeds up the process as I caught a 42" once while he was in the outhouse 100 yards away:)
Landonfish
Posted 7/27/2011 7:23 PM (#509305 - in reply to #508937)

This just happened this past weekend. My buddy sits down to take a break and says.
Buddy: I got a hook in my a$$.
Me: what?
Buddy: you heard me a hook in my a$$
Me: pull it out
Buddy: NO! Its really in there deep I can't move
I walked across the boat and looked it didn't even make it through the pant leg I just laughed and went back to my side of the boat. He cried a little more before realizing he wasnt hooked.
welldriller
Posted 7/27/2011 7:57 PM (#509309 - in reply to #508937)

If I one more person walks down on their dock and tells me a story about how their grandkid caught a 48"er while reeling in a bluegill 20 minutes before I got there, I'm just gonna snap.
I hate cellphones. They have no place in a boat.
When you tell your boat partner that you are moving to a new spot, and the trolling motor is up and they just have to take that one last cast.
When the person in the back of the boat is throwing baits in front of the boat. If you want to fish in front, buy your own #*^@ boat.
hog
Posted 7/27/2011 8:07 PM (#509312 - in reply to #508937)

Will I need a leader? Could you tie it on for me. Don't think all that tackle and the kitchen sink will fit in this boat.
missourimuskyhunter
Posted 7/27/2011 8:33 PM (#509315 - in reply to #508937)

We have had really good luck using Burmeks this year...
Ebenezer
Posted 7/27/2011 8:37 PM (#509316 - in reply to #508937)

Do not discuss any Muskie First thread in my boat. I just can't concentrate on fishing while I am LMFHO!
Kirby Budrow
Posted 7/27/2011 9:08 PM (#509317 - in reply to #508937)

Getting any follow-ups? Another dumb way to talk

That wind should lay down nice tonight. (just sounds dumb)

Why won't they just bite?!?! (I'm thinking its cause you are doing it wrong)

Its like after dark already. I need to get back home.

What difference does one dull hook make?

I have had many frustrations this year. This venting on the internet helps.
JKahler
Posted 7/27/2011 11:17 PM (#509347 - in reply to #508937)

Don't show up late. 7am means 7am. Don't tell me you didn't call because you left a message late the night before on Facebook telling me you couldn't make it the next morning. Don't cast right on top of my lure, at any point of the retrieve. I'm not a counselor, so complaining about your wife/girlfriend to me only brings me down. Change baits, eat food, and sharpen hooks on the move, not right when I pull up to a spot.
4amuskie
Posted 7/27/2011 11:46 PM (#509350 - in reply to #509071)

Ranger - 7/26/2011 5:28 PM

What NOT to do is pass litter when you have an opportunity to pick it up, starting at the landing if you're waiting for access. Grab every floating beer can and even $hit you see on the bottom in shallow water - if you can reach it with anything (net) then get it out of the lake.

This may grant you the favor of the Lady of the Lake. But maybe not. Ignore trash and pay the price of the DISfavor of the spirits.

PS - She hates muskies? Take away her credit card, start storing your gear at a buddy's place and otherwise prepare for a divorce.
I used to say that unitl I found a used condom floating in the lake. Thats where I drew the line with the Musky Gods.
TC24
Posted 7/28/2011 9:13 AM (#509372 - in reply to #509309)

welldriller - 7/27/2011 7:57 PM

If I one more person walks down on their dock and tells me a story about how their grandkid caught a 48"er while reeling in a bluegill 20 minutes before I got there, I'm just gonna snap.
I hate cellphones. They have no place in a boat.
When you tell your boat partner that you are moving to a new spot, and the trolling motor is up and they just have to take that one last cast.
When the person in the back of the boat is throwing baits in front of the boat. If you want to fish in front, buy your own #*^@ boat.

Ha, Im at right there w/ ya on all of this. I got to the point of secretly turning off my brothers cell cuz if he gets that call from the girlfriend, we're done fishing. I will tell one of my buddies several times that we are leaving a spot... Got the trolling motor up, sit down and wait a sec, then fire up the engine. The kid tweaks out every time I start her up..." WHAT IF I HAD A FOLLOW!"
Herb_b
Posted 7/28/2011 9:24 AM (#509373 - in reply to #508937)

Another thing is when people catch a fish and then spend the rest of the outing texting everyone they knew about it. Had a guy catch a 44 and then spend all evening texting everyone he knew. How about keep fishing and tell them later?

I had another guy that was always cutting the outings short. We'd be 7 miles out and have fish going and suddenly he'd say he needed to go home early.

I don't fish with either of those guys any more.

Edited by Herb_b 7/28/2011 9:25 AM
MuskyManiac09
Posted 7/28/2011 9:48 AM (#509379 - in reply to #508937)

Wow....most you guys need to take a chill pill. Isn't fishing supposed to be fun and relaxing? You can't fish angry or you'll never catch anything!!!
Rem308
Posted 7/28/2011 10:45 AM (#509396 - in reply to #509379)

MuskyManiac09 - 7/27/2011 10:48 PM

Wow....most you guys need to take a chill pill. Isn't fishing supposed to be fun and relaxing? You can't fish angry or you'll never catch anything!!!

You said it brother. Get out there and have some fun.
sworrall
Posted 7/28/2011 10:47 AM (#509397 - in reply to #508937)

'Wow....most you guys need to take a chill pill. Isn't fishing supposed to be fun and relaxing? '

It is, if the above is observed to at least a bearable degree.
HoosierDrew
Posted 7/28/2011 12:20 PM (#509412 - in reply to #508937)

Taking someone out for the first time, after I've told them about musky gear, that they'd be using mine, what to expect, and the reasons why I use the equipment that I do:
Them - I'll just use my bass rig with 6 lb. Stren mono and loosen my drag as I can't use this big rod/reel...it's in my truck, I'll go get it.
I just shake my head, laugh, and say, you're going to have to trust me on this one...I am sure guides have heard this 10000 times.
Herb_b
Posted 7/28/2011 12:26 PM (#509415 - in reply to #508937)

Maniac, We're all talking about things that make fishing less fun. If you don't like what we're saying, don't read the thread.

Fishing is like golf in that it isn't fun to golf with someone who doesn't take it even a little bit seriously. Ever golf with someone who can't even hit the ball square because they never go to the range?

Back to the subject. Above anything, I cannot stand complainers in a boat. I mean those people that are never, ever happy. They can only be happy if they catch a really big Muskie right away - which we all know rarely happens. They are unhappy if they don't catch a Muskie or if it isn't big enough.

As an example: I once took a guy out on an after-work outing who, after only a few minutes of casting, hooked a low-50 inch Muskie. But he gave the fish slack and lost it before I could net it. I thought he'd be excited, but all I heard was complaint, complaint, complaint. The fishing sucked, my boat sucked and my equipment sucked. Never mind that he refused to listen to a thing I said. Twenty minutes later he hooked a fat 47 incher and even though he tried to pull the fish completely out of the water like a crappie, I managed to get it in the net before it got off. It was by far the largest fish he had ever caught. Thought he'd shut up then, but he still wasn't happy. Just more complaints because he felt it was my fault that he had lost the larger fish earlier and I was lucky to even get the second fish netted for him. If only I had a better boat or better lures or better equipment or had a clue as to what I was doing, then he would have caught the larger fish too. That was enough for me. I took him back to the landing, told him to get out, and never spoke to him again.

I can't stand people like that.

Edited by Herb_b 7/28/2011 12:28 PM
MuskyManiac09
Posted 7/28/2011 1:11 PM (#509421 - in reply to #508937)

I like what I'm reading Herb_b, I think there's a lot of funny comments, and I have my own opinion on the subject as well.

Like I said, you can't fish angry...just like in golf, it will take you out of your game.

Letting someone else ruin YOUR fun is YOUR fault. How I react to people and how I let them effect me is totally my decision, so saying someone ruined you day is bull.....you let them ruin your day.
Posted 7/28/2011 1:45 PM (#509425 - in reply to #509421)

What you REALLY don't want to hear:

I just finished shaving my _____ so now we can tie some bucktails!
twells
Posted 7/28/2011 4:26 PM (#509450 - in reply to #508937)

I can't believe we haven't gotten a follow or stupid pike yet. This usually comes out after a hour or two with some people I fish with.
Herb_b
Posted 7/28/2011 5:09 PM (#509459 - in reply to #508937)

Maniac,

Yeah, there is a difference between taking action and just being angry and letting it ruin your time on the water. I usually talk to difficult people first to give them an opportunity to change what they are doing, but if they don't and it bothers me enough, then I just don't fish with them anymore. And then there is a big difference between a minor irritation and something that ruins your time on the water.

I must admit that I am fortunate to have fished with some really nice people over the years. In fact, most of the people I have fished with have been great. For instance, Captain is a great guy to fish with. Only problem is he usually outfishes me. Hmmmm.

Edited by Herb_b 7/28/2011 5:11 PM
Posted 7/28/2011 5:48 PM (#509462 - in reply to #509309)

welldriller - 7/27/2011 7:57 PM

Amen, I hate when a boat partner does this.
Jump to page : 1 2 3 4
Now viewing page 2 [30 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)