Muskie Discussion Forums

Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Language | Blogs Search | Statistics | User Listing
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

[Frozen]
Moderators: Slamr

View previous thread :: View next thread
Jump to page : 1 2 3
Now viewing page 2 [30 messages per page]

Muskie Fishing -> General Discussion -> Spring Bay Resort Guests 55"

Frozen
Message Subject: Spring Bay Resort Guests 55"
Posted 8/10/2010 3:38 PM (#454353 - in reply to #454347)
Subject: Re: Spring Bay Resort Guests 55"

Hi guys.
I will be the first to admit, I am new to musky fishing but I have been fishing since I could hold a rod. I'm 49 so thats a few years now. We picked Vermilion mainly for the numbers of muskies that seem to come out of it and for the shot at a fish like my nephew caught.
OK, I'll answer some of the question I remember. Yes, the girth was an actual measurment, taken just in front of the rear pair of lower fins. The length measurement was taken without pinching the tail down. All of these were done fairly quickly as to minimize the amount of time we had her out of the water. The safe and healthy release of this beautiful fish was our first concern. The time stamp on the images is correct and she was only out of the water for right around 3 minutes. Even that seems like a long time but we were moving as quickly as we could. The fish is laying on a landing cradle and the boat it is in is a Skeeter ZX2050.
I understand everyones level of disbelief and I also know there will always be doubters no matter what level of proof is presented. Just knowing she survived the encounter justifies dealing with the questions. I'm sure we could have taken our time and gotten several girth measurements and spent time pinching the tail down but that is not the way we operate and she certainly would not have survived.
Short of having landed her myself, I feel lucky to have seen such an amazing fish with my own eyes.
Crusher23
Posted 8/10/2010 3:59 PM (#454361 - in reply to #454353)

Sorry, that was me responding just above. I changed computers and forgot to login on this machine.

Crusher23
Jason Bomber
Posted 8/10/2010 4:06 PM (#454364 - in reply to #454361)

Out of the water for 3 minutes...
I can't hold my breath for 3 minutes?

Edited by Jason Bomber 8/10/2010 4:35 PM
Stan Spain
Posted 8/10/2010 4:10 PM (#454366 - in reply to #453399)
Subject: RE: Spring Bay Resort Guests 55"

Ryan Stadler's 55 inch fish is awesome!! To those who are questioning the measurements - shame on you. From his story that he posted he took measurements and got the fish back in the water in 3 minutes. That is the most important thing. I know there are those in the muskie community who have been very vocal that they are hunting for the new state record. To do this they will have to kill the fish. In advance - shame on them! Ryan - nice fish and great job on the release.
Herb_b
Posted 8/10/2010 4:19 PM (#454368 - in reply to #453399)

First of all, congratulations on a fine fish.

We all know you did the best you could with the knowledge you had. Please understand that I am just trying to be helpful here and would like to offer some tips on fish handling. We all started out new to Muskie fishing at some time and none of us were really good at releasing fish right away. Unless if we were taught by a knowledgable person, it took most of us a little time to get a good system down.

Here are some pointers on releasing fish:
- Fight the fish as quickly as possible to not wear out the fish any more than you have to.
- Never keep a fish out of the water for much more than 15 seconds.
- Use a big net and not a cradle. Cradles can force a person to fight the fish far to long and make keeping the fish in the water more difficult. They also make landing fish much more difficult as hooks can catch on the cradle and put the fish in a bad location cradle wise. Been there. Done that.
- Use a protective glove, such as a steel mesh fish cleaning glove or leather, to protect your hands while handling the fish.
- Take the hooks out in the water and measure the fish in the water too.
- Never lay the fish on the bottom of the boat except maybe briefly on the bumpboard for a very accurate measurement and then only after wetting down the bumpboard first.
- Leave the fish in the water while you get the cameras ready and, if the fish seems tired, let the fish recover some in the water between removing hooks and holding up for a quick picture or two.
- Never take the fish out of the water until the man standing with the camera is ready to take pictures. You do not want to stand there holding a fish while someone fumbles around with a camera.
- If the fish is tired at all, stay in the area for at least 20 minutes after releasing it to make sure she doesn't come back up. I have seen several occasions where fish that swam away fine came up struggling later and needed help to regain their stability.

To give you an idea what it is like for the fish, walk 100 yards from the dock, then run as hard as you can to the dock and stick your head immediately under the water and try holding your breath as long as you can. That is what it is like for the fish. They simply cannot breath out of the water any more than you can breath in it.

Congratulations on a nice fish. Hope you catch another.
sworrall
Posted 8/10/2010 4:29 PM (#454374 - in reply to #453399)

Herb_b,
Absolutely outstanding post. A few others might learn about civility, how information might be shared, and educating those not as experienced in handling large fish.

Did it ever occur to some this guy probably doesn't know or care what the formula says the fish weighs? If an error was made in the measurement, it's OBVIOUS these folks are not seasoned muskie anglers, this was the angler's first muskie, and the author says he just started Muskie fishing.

Those of you new to this sport and those who see what I'm seeing here, I apologize deeply for the rude and self righteous behavior of some. They forget themselves. Most of the time these guys are friendly and helpful, but when a big fish is caught, some suddenly forget they are not in their own home.
raftman
Posted 8/10/2010 5:05 PM (#454386 - in reply to #453399)

Nice fish and definitely a tough one to beat for a first. Congrats.
I have yet to find myself fortunate enough to be in the position where I wanted a girth measurement, but my plan has always been to do it w/ the fish in the water. Not worth keeping the fish out, especially w/ July/August water and air temps. Plus, you can take multiple measurements to verify and don't need to rush it. For future fish, time out of water should be seconds, not minutes.
Congrats again and good luck topping that one.
Herb_b
Posted 8/10/2010 5:23 PM (#454387 - in reply to #453399)

Steve,

Unfortunately, I was one of those that learned the hard way. There weren't a lot of people fishing Muskies back in the mid-80s when I started and not a lot of information on how to best release fish. It wasn't until the mid-90s that there was more of a common understanding on how to properly release fish. At one time back in the early 90s I went to a cradle, which was the worst fishing advice I ever got, and regretted it soon after. We lost a couple of huge fish with that thing and had more problems than it was worth. It was gone in a hurry and the largest Beckman made at that time was soon in the boat instead. I upgraded to a large coated Frabill net about ten years ago when they first came out and have used it ever since.

Starting out can be tough. I would recommend to anyone starting out to go fishing with either a seasoned fisherperson or guide and ask them to demonstrate their fish release system. Most TV hosts like Joe Bucher, Steve Heiting, Jim Saric, and Luke R also do a fine job of handling fish.

All I can say is after fishing Muskies for many years, I still don't have a 55 in the net yet. Almost, but not quite. To see someone catch a 55 on their first fish is quite amazing.

Good luck all.

Crusher23
Posted 8/10/2010 5:24 PM (#454388 - in reply to #454374)

Herb,
I read your post and agree 100%. We didn't submit every picture but the time stamp on the first picture in the string was taken at 13:26. This was during the short fight. The first picture with the fish in the boat still is stamped at 13:26. The fish was back in the water at time stamp 13:29. I am a catch and release fisherman so I am very knowledgable as to how to handle all fish that are going to be released. We were slighlty unprepared as we didn't have heavy duty enough wire cutters on board to cut the hooks. She had both 5/0 trebles in the corner of her mouth. Again, we moved as quickly as we could and we did in fact stay in the area for closer to 30 minutes to make she didn't come back up. There was alot of hand shaking along with head shaking and high fiving. Plus looking at the pictures several times. Ryan himself just sat for awhile until his knees stopped shaking. He MAY have even induldged in a frosty cold one to sooth his nerves!!!!. Thanks for the advice and we will be better prepared the next time. I'll never be to old to learn something new.
One thing I find interesting is in all the articles and videos (many hundreds of them) I read prior to going on this trip virtually every one of them said a cradle was by far the best way to handle a truly large fish. Thats why I have one. You say a large net is the way to handle a large fish. I suppose its like everything else - Ford/Chevy - Chocolate/Vanilla.

By the way - Ford rules :>)

Crusher23
Herb_b
Posted 8/10/2010 5:47 PM (#454394 - in reply to #453399)

There are many reasons I don't like cradles. Most people these days use large nets. I can't even remember the last time I saw someone with a cradle. Big nets like the big Frabils and Beckmans are much easier to use and don't hurt the fish. Don't worry about tail cuts. They are like finger cuts to them.

I'd recommend changing what you're reading and get the big net. You might want to get one of Steve Heitings videos. Like many others, he is an ace on releasing fish.
Captain
Posted 8/10/2010 6:20 PM (#454396 - in reply to #454394)

Herb_b - 8/10/2010 5:47 PM

There are many reasons I don't like cradles. Most people these days use large nets. I can't even remember the last time I saw someone with a cradle. Big nets like the big Frabils and Beckmans are much easier to use and don't hurt the fish. Don't worry about tail cuts. They are like finger cuts to them.

I'd recommend changing what you're reading and get the big net. You might want to get one of Steve Heitings videos. Like many others, he is an ace on releasing fish. :)

If you are ever fishing by yourself, you will soon learn why cradles are a bad idea. I, too, thought cradles were a good idea after listening to everyone talk about them on TV shows. I never bought one, because after careful criticism I just saw this being too much of a circus. A net you can get deep into the water. The fish can relax in the bag while you unhook them. I dont know a person who unhooks a fish while IN the water with a cradle which just adds more time out of the water.

Thats a big fish and one to be very proud of regardless of what the measurements are. I dont really care, its not like you guys are going around parading and saying "look at me look at me" and broadcasting the numbers for attention.

Hopefully the fish made it and will give someone a thrill again.
ChinWhiskers
Posted 8/10/2010 6:50 PM (#454402 - in reply to #454347)

Very nice fish, Id say she pushes 45# very nice release photos. Ill be looking for her in Sept.
leech lake strain
Posted 8/10/2010 6:54 PM (#454404 - in reply to #453399)

I bought into the whole cradle thing too awhile back seeing everyone at tournaments using them and bought one, however most of the time I am by myself and it does'nt even get used! I end up hand landing them for crying out loud, hard to take hooks out in the water, your afraid the whole time it's going to get out and you have to have the fish coming in just perfect to get them lined up, just to much of a chance at them getting off before that happens even! spend a little more money and get a huge net!
thrax_johnson
Posted 8/10/2010 7:00 PM (#454405 - in reply to #453399)

I'm with BN on this one on the girth. Length also looks poorly measured with a tape measure? Great fish no matter what, looks like a real beauty. Purchase a bumpboard. It appears there is enough equipment in the boat to afford one, also given the boat, $$ is probably not the big issue. Buy the net as suggested and some appropriate cutters also.

On the "educating front" the anglers were educated enough to purchase at least basic equipment and to have determined they wanted a cradle. It would seem there was enough research for equipment/lures that some of these things they might need to learn more about certainly could/should have been known already. There are no shortage of newbies on this site and others who are getting quality information on becoming a muskie enthusiast every day, many before they've ever even hit the water to try it. The information they seem they could have benefitted from most could have been had in a few hrs with an appropriate post somewhere.

Thats not a knock on them. I'll proudly raise my hand and say I was not properly educated and didn't do it all right when I started either. We all need to step up anytime we meet someone who expresses interest to teach them how to do things right. Like time out of the water for pics or measures, proper procedures for unhooking/cutting if needed, proper release equipment etc.

Keep fishing guys, and pay it forward every time you can with the info you learn and the experiences you have. Great catch again and maybe I'll catch her for you again in a few weeks!!
Sorgy
Posted 8/10/2010 7:09 PM (#454407 - in reply to #454404)

Crusher23,
Please pass on my congrats to Ryan as well as yourself. It truely is a huge fish. Nicely done with putting her back. Landing a large muskie 50" and cutting hooks ect ect can be a difficult ordeal without the Knipex cutters, a Large Net, Jawspreaders and even the Hookpick. The combinatin deffinitly makes it much easier to do(That is with the experience of landing many fish). I cannot comprehend landing a giant fish such as Ryans with all of my release tools nearby. It must have been quite the scene in the boat. Then to top it off your cutters did not work as planned ect. I bet you have flashbacks of that fish and the whole ordeal once in a while
Congrats on the experience! She is swimming and has a chance. Everytime I put hooks in a fish there is a chance she will die.
Now go out - with your big net- and land some more fish. Put some more of what you learned from releasing that giant to releasing others.

Nicley Done

Steve Sorgenfrei

Nicely done Herb B
SWIm
Posted 8/10/2010 8:40 PM (#454424 - in reply to #454368)

Awesome fish guys...I for one, am very jealous, and can't wait to hopefully catch one like that someday. Fish like yours and Jake's are why Vermilion and Mille Lacs are the best lakes for true giants in MN right now. Your not going to find 55 - 57s and up like that anywhere else in MN.

Thanks for the guidelines Herb b. After catching and releasing some fish myself, some successfully, some not, I feel like I am getting better and better at CPR or at times CR. One thing I would like to add, is if you absolutely must bring a fish into the boat for whatever reason, make sure to never let it lay on the floor or bump-board without you holding it's head and body down. It can twist or jerk or whatever and slam they're heads into the floor etc. Keep in mind, they're not wearing helmets. Just because they swim away does not always mean it was a successful release...again, this comes from experience unfortunately. I think our excuse for Mille Lacs and Vermilion not being what they used to be as far as numbers has a lot more to do with OUR release tactics and not "massive amounts of perch and ciscoes." I hope I'm wrong.

Bytor
Posted 8/10/2010 10:02 PM (#454438 - in reply to #454424)

I agree with everything that Herb stated except the 15 seconds, that is pretty quick. I release all my fish in a very timely fashion but i have them out of the water for 20- 30 seconds.

If Sean Landsman sees this maybe he can verify this....it is my belief that the first year of Project Noble Beast has shown that a musky that is handled in the proper way does not stress the fish anymore than a fish that is left in the water. I'm not sure how long Sean was having the fish out of the water but I assume 30-40 seconds is a good time frame.

Three minutes is an extremely long time to have the fish out of the water.

If a girth measurement is taken it should be done in the water.

Congrats on the catch but please get a net. The hooks should always be removed in the water not in the bottom of the boat.
Big Perc
Posted 8/10/2010 10:09 PM (#454442 - in reply to #453399)

None of you were there to actually witness the fish, I find it so funny how people always find something to degrade about a huge fish someone else catches. You should all be ashamed of yourselves. Congrats to the angler, I can only dream of ever catching a fish like that. That is truly the fish of a lifetime.

Big Perc
BNelson
Posted 8/10/2010 11:25 PM (#454453 - in reply to #453399)

The best thing imo, and as others have said, is to get a big net, like a big kahuna..once the fish is in the net, leave the fish in the water, the big net and and hoop acts as a big livewell.., unhook the fish, in the water, in the net, and leave it there, upright, and then get all your ducks in a row, bumpboard set out, camera on and ready in your buddies hands...I actually have a tape set out and ready on the bumpboard so that when the fish is laid on it, you simply pull the tape around it and the girth is done on the bumpboard...very simple and easier to do on the bumpboard than in the water imo.... so the scenario goes... 1. pull fish out 2. put on bumpboard 3. measure 4. hold up for a few quick pics and back in she goes..even in a long scenario this should not last more than 45 seconds...and that is a long time...3 minutes in any water temp is wayyyy too long and in the water temps you probably had at 73-75 too long for sure... it's not degrading the fish BigPerc to call it like it is...sorry not ashamed in the slightest for simply stating this fish isn't close to 29" girth...I've had enough over 50 and some within an inch of this in my boat to know what a 29" girth should look like and this one isn't remotely close...not knocking the anglers for their awesome fish at all...Congrats to the angler and I hope she is still alive for more to catch...

Edited by BNelson 8/10/2010 11:31 PM
Jimmy Bolin
Posted 8/10/2010 11:29 PM (#454455 - in reply to #453399)

Ryan,Congratulations on your AWESOME fish! I also commend you on being a newbie to Muskie fishing, your concern for the fish and for releasing her! I have been a very fortunate muskie fisherman. I have had the opportunity and pleasure of fishing with the best in the world,Mike Lazarus! I have caught and seen my partners catch many 50,51, 52,53,54,55,56,,57,and 58" fish! By no means am I trying to discredit your catch or call you or your uncle a liar either! Your girth measurement of 29"s is incorrect. There was an honest mistake during all the excitement! Understandably so,especially being your first muskie and a PIG to boot! This is an August 55" fish with a girth of 23"s,maybe 24,at Best! Once again,CONGRATULATIONS on your amazing fish!
Jimmy Bolin
Posted 8/10/2010 11:39 PM (#454458 - in reply to #453399)

I have also seen 55,56,57 inch fish in October,November,and December not have 29" girths! I've seen 24,25,26,27,28 inch girths! And that's on the best water in the world and with the best muskie fisherman in the world!
Ryan_Cotter
Posted 8/11/2010 12:12 AM (#454460 - in reply to #453399)

Alright, alright, this is getting beat to death. We all get excited, so they got a giant fish, got caught up in the excitement of catching something that big they've never seen before, (hey me neither), measured the girth, "Ah wait was it that? It was close to that! Yep I'd say it was that, had to be!" Is it even possible for one to be that fat this time of year, highly unlikely. So it prob wasn't 29", who gives, its still swimming! It was still an awesome fish, Congrats Congrats!

Edited by Ryan_Cotter 8/11/2010 12:14 AM
BenR
Posted 8/11/2010 12:20 AM (#454461 - in reply to #453399)

It would not be muskie fishing if you could not belittle your fellow outdoorsmen no doubt...BR
Top H2O
Posted 8/11/2010 12:32 AM (#454463 - in reply to #454461)

BN. good post and right on.You laid it out for all to copy as how to handle a muskie, fast and effective.
Very huge fish, Congrats.

Jerome
esoxlucifer
Posted 8/11/2010 12:59 AM (#454465 - in reply to #454463)

Congrats on the fish and to the musky addiction it will hopefully lead to. Posts like this always teach me something about proper fish handling. Also gets me pumped to get out there and throw some hardware.
Fisher
Posted 8/11/2010 7:38 AM (#454488 - in reply to #454465)

Boy if I ever catch a big, big fish I will post a picture on here only if the date and time is not on the picture, I will not give any measurements, I will not say I am new to musky fishing and wont talk about what I used to land the fish with, how i took the hooks out, or how long the fish was out of the water. I wont say if i used a tape measure or a bump board. I would just post the pic and say "look at this fish bit**es!!
Big Bob
Posted 8/11/2010 7:54 AM (#454490 - in reply to #454488)

Fisher - 8/11/2010 7:38 AM

Boy if I ever catch a big, big fish I will post a picture on here only if the date and time is not on the picture, I will not give any measurements, I will not say I am new to musky fishing and wont talk about what I used to land the fish with, how i took the hooks out, or how long the fish was out of the water. I wont say if i used a tape measure or a bump board. I would just post the pic and say "look at this fish bit**es!!

I know. Ridiculous isn't it? Aren't these so called "expert" handlers also tossing pieces of wood with barbed treble hooks at these fish? And I'm sure they all use barbless hooks as well
lambeau
Posted 8/11/2010 8:09 AM (#454493 - in reply to #453399)

when someone puts themselves out there and claims something like a 29" girth that's just totally unrealistic, there's nothing wrong with pointing out reality. hopefully this is done politely, but even when it's well-intentioned it's always difficult to tell someone that they're mistaken and have others view you as being rude or petty or jealous.
when those "reality checks" are coming from people who have actually handled a few large fish before, the fishing community should listen up with a little respect. allowing such exaggerations to go unquestioned actually diminishes the reality of our sport and the reality of the fish that truly do reach those dimensions later in the year.

girth the fish in the water, girth it more than once, and be HAPPY about something in the low- to mid-20s range. at +/- 23" it's still a really big fish, let it stand on it's own for what it is.

i assume the angler will be getting a replica made? when he gets his 55x29 home and looks at it next to the pictures he's going to wonder, "why does the replica loook soooo much bigger than the pictures?"
BNelson
Posted 8/11/2010 8:26 AM (#454495 - in reply to #454493)

this will illustrate how I girth fish...which really isn't very often... I have girthed a very small percentage of the fish in the boat..Here is a pic of a 53"er on the bumpboard which shows how I have girthed the fish..you can clearly see the girth tape (from rollie and helens) laying there ...this tape was put there before the fish was brought out of the net and placed on the bumpboard...this fish was girthed a hair under 23.5"......which is fat imo..as Lambeau pointed out girths in the 20-23 range are actually on the fat side of things...we got a 46 x 22 last fall that was simply a pork belly...but some would say "only 22" well if you saw the pic you would realize what a frickin porker it was.....girths of 24" + just aren't that common....even in the fall it takes a lot to get over 24"...

Edited by BNelson 8/11/2010 9:00 AM

Zoom - | Zoom 100% | Zoom + | Expand / Contract | Open New window
Click to expand / contract the width of this image
(53bump.JPG)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments 53bump.JPG (34KB - 155 downloads)
Big Bobiops
Posted 8/11/2010 8:26 AM (#454496 - in reply to #453399)

55X29 might look like a big bass.
Jump to page : 1 2 3
Now viewing page 2 [30 messages per page]
Frozen
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)