Muskie Discussion Forums

Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Language | Blogs Search | Statistics | User Listing
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )
Moderators: Slamr

View previous thread :: View next thread
Jump to page : 1 2 3 4
Now viewing page 2 [30 messages per page]

Muskie Fishing -> Fishing Reports and Destinations -> Pewaukee Lake reports

Message Subject: Pewaukee Lake reports
Sam Ubl
Posted 5/15/2009 10:29 AM (#378400 - in reply to #376093)
Subject: Re: Pewaukee Lake reports

Things have been odd in it's simplest form. Dealing with post-frontal conditions on and off, as well as this transition period between what worked for the opening fish to what becomes the mainstay in summer. It's anyones game out there this weekend, no matter the time spent on the water. A friend of mine put into perspective last night that the guys who haven't touched this water have some of the best chances going in as they will be starting from scratch with nothing eliminated. Those of us who have pounded the lake are already canceling some options out and in a frenzy to find the next round trip ticket on sale.
Mikes Extreme
Posted 5/15/2009 4:23 PM (#378487 - in reply to #378400)

Sam, don't over think it. It's just the usual post spawn blues. This usually happens in mid May every year. Things will get rocking in a week. First few days of the next warm up will get the fish going. WMT will be interesting tomorrow.

A 51 inch muskies was caught and kept by a kid off his pier 5/12/09 at 10pm using a jig and a chunk of crawler fishing for walleyes. The big fish are in there but they are layin low now.

The bass are going nuts now. Lots of action if your looking for some fun. Smallmouth are pulling up shallow and the largemouth are staging in the weeds just outside of the spawning areas. I had clients out last night and the bass were hitting muskie baits. Crazy fish.
Sam Ubl
Posted 5/17/2009 9:57 PM (#378885 - in reply to #376093)

Sorry to say those Sat. high winds screwed me something fierce at one point when my favorite Long Tale got stuck to a bouy after a big gust during my cast bowed my line and swung the front of the boat so fast I lost track of my lure as I tried to compensate with boat control. Needless to say, it was impossible for me or my partner to keep the boat steady in that little wind tunnel I lost it and I had to cut the line and get back to fishing My unle who lives on the lake rowed over, lifted the darn thing out of the water and it was gone. That sucker was buried in the plastic of the bouy. . . Well, another one bites the dust, right?
Sam Ubl
Posted 5/17/2009 9:59 PM (#378886 - in reply to #376093)

Sorry to say those Sat. high winds screwed me something fierce at one point when my favorite Long Tale got stuck to a bouy after a big gust during my cast bowed my line and swung the front of the boat so fast I lost track of my lure as I tried to compensate with boat control. Needless to say, it was impossible for me or my partner to keep the boat steady in that little wind tunnel I lost it and I had to cut the line and get back to fishing My unle who lives on the lake rowed over, lifted the darn thing out of the water and it was gone. That sucker was buried in the plastic of the bouy. . . Well, another one bites the dust, right?
Sam Ubl
Posted 5/18/2009 10:24 PM (#379108 - in reply to #376093)
Subject: RE: Pewaukee Lake reports

Three fish up today. . . 2 mid-thirties and one nice one. I think these fish are either skeptics after Saturday or just weren't hungry. Two low and slow and the third flashed off after making eye contact with me.
Sam Ubl
Posted 5/19/2009 8:41 AM (#379160 - in reply to #376093)

The fish are rockin.

Edited by Sam Ubl 7/10/2009 12:36 PM
Sam Ubl
Posted 5/19/2009 8:45 AM (#379162 - in reply to #376093)

I thought I'd share my wife's 34 with you. Her first fish with a slammer and she has that excitement we all know about, no matter the size. A musky is a musky and I told her, if you ever lose that edge, you'll have to quit fishing.

Zoom - | Zoom 100% | Zoom + | Expand / Contract | Open New window
Click to expand / contract the width of this image
(Big Kahuna.jpg)

(R1-22A.jpg)

(R1-21A.jpg)

(R1-20A.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments Big Kahuna.jpg (192KB - 109 downloads)
Attachments R1-22A.jpg (86KB - 110 downloads)
Attachments R1-21A.jpg (110KB - 122 downloads)
Attachments R1-20A.jpg (114KB - 103 downloads)
Beaver
Posted 5/20/2009 5:13 PM (#379583 - in reply to #376093)

I'll report...windy, windy, windy followed by windy. I don't mind some wind, in fact I like it, but 20-30 for 4 days in a row is nuts! Time to get out the drift socks.
Sam Ubl
Posted 5/21/2009 9:38 AM (#379726 - in reply to #376093)

Mike, I'm not sure how I overlooked your last post but I did. . . Wow, 51 inches!! Too bad it was kept. How many of that size do you suppose are kept out of Pewaukee each year? I know of about a half-dozen from last year.
Beaver
Posted 5/21/2009 1:19 PM (#379787 - in reply to #379726)

It's Groundhog Day!!!!!
Freakin' whitecaps everywhere and nowhere to hide, at least nowhere productive.
Yes, the wind does blow.
f4m1
Posted 6/7/2009 9:54 AM (#382587 - in reply to #376093)

hows everyone been doing out there. heading up in a few days and hoping the actions good!!
Beaver
Posted 6/7/2009 12:12 PM (#382598 - in reply to #382587)

I was out Thursday, and the water temps were 61-63 degrees, just like 2 weeks ago. Lots of smallish fish showing themselves until it got bright and still. They chased everything. Topwaters, gliders, twitchbaits and 6" Suzy Suckers. Most fish came fast and then turned away when they got 10-15' from the boat and none of them came back or stayed around for an 8.
Weed cutters were out. Why? There aren't enough weeds to cut. The weeds were getting to the point where you could see the edges and fish them, now there are just a lot of floaters. That ticks me off, but will have to deal with it from now until fall.
Broke in my motor for a while looking for fish, but only saw a few scattered hooks.
Mikes Extreme
Posted 6/8/2009 5:05 PM (#382794 - in reply to #382598)

Fishing has been good to great this past two weeks. Lots of follows and only a fish or two eating. Bass have been everywhere hitting anyting lately. I got a 5lb plus largemouth on a 9-inch weighted Suick on Friday and a 36-inch ski that night. I moved some real hawgs but they were just lookers. Saturday I got out in the morning and it was outstanding. Two muskies caught and raised 9 from 6:30 to 9:30am. Three hours of great action then it slowed. I should have started at first light.

Weeds are up high in some spots and very low in most. I don't mind them cutting the weeds BUT I hate when they cut and let the wind blow them before they pick them up on the conveyor. Thats just poor planning. I see that all the time. The weed cutters are very good machines, the operators are weak at best. College kids and bad planning is the problem. You can't cut weeds in the wind unless its coming straight at you. Ohterwise the wind blows them off the conveyor before they can be picked up.

Most baits are working now because we are in the mid 60's this week. Top water, minnow baits, buck tails, suicks and crank baits have all caught fish this past two weeks. Suckers are still catching fish from what I have heard. I choose to not use them this year due to the price and the new rules about keeping them alive. No suckers for me.

Best tip I can give everyone is to look for the best weeds and have fun. The weeds are full of fish. Bad year for weeds = easy to find muskies.
crow hunter
Posted 6/9/2009 2:54 AM (#382877 - in reply to #376093)

Thanks for the report Mike.
I'll see you on the water.
Good luck to all ya!!
Sam Ubl
Posted 6/9/2009 9:17 AM (#382904 - in reply to #376093)

Mike, I'll look for you Thursday . . . Finally getting out on local water that evening.

A few close buds have been hitting it pretty hard over this last weekend with a lot of great action. Lots of visuals and opportunities have put a few in their boat.

fish4musky1
Posted 6/9/2009 10:35 PM (#383051 - in reply to #376093)

ill be out thursday, friday and possibly wed. in a smokeys rental!!! looking for the good weeds and casting some lures should be fun!
justin stickles
Posted 6/11/2009 10:49 PM (#383443 - in reply to #383051)

ill be out there on staurday hope to see some of you out there!
Muskiehead
Posted 6/13/2009 9:46 AM (#383612 - in reply to #376093)

Out on Friday all day. Great day for Musky watching but only got hooks in one 36. Stepdad brought up a 46-48. It was a tank. She was hot to trot but he paused when he should have twitched. Better luck next time.
fish4musky1
Posted 6/13/2009 3:10 PM (#383630 - in reply to #383612)

fished 6-10 and 6-11. had over a dozen follows and two muskys hit on the figure 8 only to come free
action was from the rockbar by smokeys, taylors bay, and the west end weeds. good couple days and it was good to get out even though couldnt get any in the net.
Sam Ubl
Posted 6/24/2009 9:04 AM (#385327 - in reply to #376093)

Went out with my wife for a little play time on the water - swimming, lounging, etc. to soak up the sun. Of course I brought the rods along, but didn't cast a line until nearly 8:00 PM. With all the pleasure boaters, Pewaukee was more than a zoo, it felt like an airplane evacuation with countless near misses. I heard a dog barking and it kept getting closer as Christie and I cruised along at trolling speed in the middle of the lake. Wondering where the sound was coming from, I turned to look as a big pontoon with 6/7 people and a poodle came cruising past at 25 MPH within 20 feet of us!! While fishing around sunset, when things seemed to start to settle down, I had no more then 10 casts in before a watched a Master Craft ski boat (blue/white) come ripping past me, pulling an embarrassed skier, at no less than 38MPH within two boat lengths of me, followed by me with my arms up and the two ladies in the boat flicking me off laughing! They were also infringing on the NO WAKE side of the bouy's.. The launch was a mess, with those who have never used one before or didn't know what to do with so many people. Lack of common sense was so heavy in the air I felt sick to my stomach as I dealt. Horrible day on the water, put me a horrible mood and I felt bad for Christie to have had to be stuck with my hot head after all the dismay. Needless to say, that 10th cast was my last, no interest left after that.

I have all next week off, Cooper Industries is closed for that week, so I'll be out every day if I can.
Weekdays/early mornings = Happy Sam

Edited by Sam Ubl 6/24/2009 9:06 AM
PSYS
Posted 6/25/2009 12:12 PM (#385590 - in reply to #376093)

How is the topwater bite on Pewaukee? I've yet to get out to this lake but I just recently downloaded a map.

I plan on getting out there the 2nd week of July or so...
Sam Ubl
Posted 6/25/2009 12:44 PM (#385608 - in reply to #376093)

Some good numbers are coming on TW, but remember what was good yesterday may not hold true today.

Edited by Sam Ubl 6/25/2009 12:46 PM
WIsheds
Posted 6/26/2009 10:54 AM (#385820 - in reply to #376093)

Fished Pewaukee for my first time on Sunday. Threw everything but the kitchen sink at them and didn't see a fish. Tried to keep the boat in deeper water and casted the breaks. Any suggestions for next time?
Sam Ubl
Posted 6/26/2009 12:04 PM (#385834 - in reply to #376093)

There are a lot of fish sitting on the 8 to 14' flats right now. There's huge pods of 1 to 2 inch baitfish all over the place. Just driving slowly with the sun shining you can see clouds of them.

I'm heading out in 4 hours after work, I'll let you know what's up tomorrow. Good fishing!

Edited by Sam Ubl 6/26/2009 12:05 PM
PSYS
Posted 6/26/2009 12:43 PM (#385837 - in reply to #385820)

WIsheds - 6/26/2009 10:54 AM

Fished Pewaukee for my first time on Sunday. Threw everything but the kitchen sink at them and didn't see a fish. Tried to keep the boat in deeper water and casted the breaks. Any suggestions for next time?

That's disappointed to hear.
But alas, that sounds like musky fishing.

I'm going out to Pewaukee for the first time in a week or two.
I do have a topographic map of the lake and I'm thinking I'll probably just work the standard shorelines, weed edges and/or any docks I may see.

There's supposed to be a decent rock structure on the east end of the lake where it gets shallower. Perhaps someone else who has fished the lake before can chime in.
Sam Ubl
Posted 6/26/2009 1:04 PM (#385839 - in reply to #376093)

Scott, the reef is about 20 yards wide and 100 yards long - marked by several bouys. This is always worthwhile place to check, but it is nothing shy of a community spot. There are days when it gets pounded out, and others where I don't see a single musky fisherman on it (at least when I'm over there). There are good weeds on the south edge of it and more of a steady depth decline with gravel, rocks and boulders on the north side of it.

Your best off hitting deeper weed edges that crest a steep break and/or fishing blindly over the shallow flats in the narrows or on the West end. There are also all kinds of channels cut out on the East end from the weed cutters. If your in there at the right time, those bass guys get some exciting surprises drop shotting into those pockets.
Sam Ubl
Posted 6/27/2009 12:00 AM (#385896 - in reply to #376093)

Well, I hate pleasure boaters. . . Can't deny that. Still good to be out. Christie caught a 32" pike right away, and I ended up with a 40" on the eight - Nothing better than getting them to eat at your feet! She was wild. Anyways, I was on my own at this point so I had to take the pics myself, then some kind fisherman passing me by on my drift stopped to look and took some pics. She's nothing huge, but glad to get another as always!

(ChristiesPewaukeePike.jpg)

(Samski.jpg)

(samsski.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments ChristiesPewaukeePike.jpg (41KB - 111 downloads)
Attachments Samski.jpg (55KB - 96 downloads)
Attachments samsski.jpg (64KB - 118 downloads)
PSYS
Posted 6/27/2009 8:01 AM (#385905 - in reply to #376093)

Sam - great fish! And thanks a lot for the info in your previous post. I've never been on the lake before so I think I'll probably be throwing blindly when I get out there. Hopefully, I get the hang of it and if I can get a fish on my line... all the better. Thanks again...

Have a great weekend!
Sam Ubl
Posted 6/30/2009 11:43 AM (#386427 - in reply to #376093)

Weird weather last night, but the bite was great! Here's 45.5" I caught with a best friend last night. One of the most knee-wobbling strikes I've had in a long time. She had a transmitter tag in her dorsal from Dr. Andersons musky study back in 1999 - pretty neat!

(45-half-pewee-fish.jpg)

(kneeling.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments 45-half-pewee-fish.jpg (193KB - 98 downloads)
Attachments kneeling.jpg (176KB - 103 downloads)
Sam Ubl
Posted 7/1/2009 2:15 AM (#386576 - in reply to #376093)

Doubled up tonight with a 37 ane 32 casting. Pics tomorrow.
Jump to page : 1 2 3 4
Now viewing page 2 [30 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)