Muskie Discussion Forums

Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Language | Blogs Search | Statistics | User Listing
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

[Frozen]
Moderators: Slamr

View previous thread :: View next thread
Jump to page : 1 2 3
Now viewing page 2 [30 messages per page]

Muskie Fishing -> General Discussion -> Okuma - Prove You Want a Reel Contest!

Frozen
Message Subject: Okuma - Prove You Want a Reel Contest!
muskie! nut
Posted 2/21/2008 7:21 AM (#302729 - in reply to #302725)
Subject: Re: Okuma - Prove You Want a Reel Contest!

Ajohnson, I'm thinking te judges are going to deduct points for that shirt. LOL
brmusky
Posted 2/21/2008 7:38 AM (#302730 - in reply to #302600)
Subject: RE: Okuma - Prove You Want a Reel Contest!

Why I think I should win a new reel, the short version.

I am a family man, father of two boys, the oldest will be 3 in May, I don't own a boat but have been an avid musky angler for over 18 years. I have never owned a reel other than an Abu Garcia and have never even considered buying a new reel until the past couple of years because Abu's have been reliable. Now I see all of these other nice reels on the market and I want to try one but my priorities right now are not spending my fishing money on a reel when I need to be saving for a boat. I also chose to live and raise a family where I did because of the musky fishing available here. I knew that I didn't want to be that guy who only went musky fishing after a 5 hour drive or while on the family vacation. I am a dedicated sportsman/conservationist and just would really like to win this reel.

Zoom - | Zoom 100% | Zoom + | Expand / Contract | Open New window
Click to expand / contract the width of this image
(Okuma_DSCF0015.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments Okuma_DSCF0015.jpg (55KB - 214 downloads)
BALDY
Posted 2/21/2008 8:26 AM (#302746 - in reply to #302730)

Slamr, give me the reel...or I will crush you.

(Pro-Glass.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments Pro-Glass.jpg (3KB - 228 downloads)
curleytail
Posted 2/21/2008 9:16 AM (#302756 - in reply to #302746)

BALDY - 2/21/2008 8:26 AM

Slamr, give me the reel...or I will crush you.

Looks like Baldy just won.
Magruter
Posted 2/21/2008 9:31 AM (#302760 - in reply to #302600)

Edit: Someone else should get the free reel.

Edited by Magruter 2/21/2008 9:37 AM
Muskie Treats
Posted 2/21/2008 9:38 AM (#302764 - in reply to #302600)

I should get the reel because the Twin Cities Chapter of MI need it for our stocking and rearing raffle.

The TC Chapter has had a long history (42 years this year) of being champions for the muskie resource in MN and around the country. This year I've negotiated a price on $30,000 worth of fish to go into Lake Minnetonka and White Bear Lake. These fish will be yearlings which will complement the efforts that the DNR is doing in these two fisheries.

A few years ago Lake Minnetonka had a large hole in the upcoming year classes. To improve upon this the TC Chapter started stocking 2-4 year old fish. The results were immediate! Now there is a number of excellent young year classes to complement the established fishery that already exists. Due to these efforts we've helped to maintain the Tonka fishery well into the future.

So can I have the reel now???

(Pro-Frenette.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments Pro-Frenette.jpg (5KB - 228 downloads)
esoxaddict
Posted 2/21/2008 10:45 AM (#302779 - in reply to #302600)

Well, as for why I should get the reel...

Part 1. Here are my experiences with various reels, which I will refrain from naming specifically:
- $109: First reel, too small for muskie fishing, should have bought the 400 series. Sitting in box.

- $209: Supposed to be a real winner, reputable manufacturer: Anti reverse failed to work after just one season. Many attempts to clean/oil/etc left it engaging about 80% of the time. That means 2 out of 10 times when you set the hook the handle spins backwards. Sitting in box.

- $129: Next season's hot new reel, by a different company. Seemed nice at first. Used only a few times before it made this obnoxious noise on a cast, during a tournament no less, handle spins backwards. Free warranty replacement. Used three times, set the hook on a 30" pike, bent handle about 30 degrees. Sitting in box.

- $159: Bought to have a durable reel for big bucktails/dawgs. Because of design of reel, reel doesn't engage until you turn the handle about halfway around. Plus its very heavy and uncomfortable to palm. I suppose for some applications its a great reel, but not for me. Sitting in box.

Over $500 spent on stuff that is essentially useless...

My recent land purchase leaves me in a financial situation where I just can't afford to buy any more reels. I don't see that changing any time soon. I need a reel that WORKS, does what it's supposed to, and keeps on doing it.

Part 2: If there is some design flaw, weak link, etc. with the IDX 400, I will find it, and notify you in a reasonable fashion so you may correct the problem. Quality control is important after all, and I would be happy to field test this reel. (I will not speak poorly of it on the internet should it fail)

Part 3: Presuming that it is indeed a quality piece of equipment, and my experience with it reflects this, I will certainly recommend it to the Muskie world. As you might have noticed, I am not shy about giving my opinions on products, nor is there any shortage of "what reel should I buy" topics on these forums. I will you help promote your product (if I deem it to be of substantial quality.)

Part 4: I've never won anything on MuskieFIRST, despite the ridiculous amount of time I spend here.

Now, for my picture: That fish is a Wahoo, which is also what will come out of my mouth should I win this quality piece of equipment. A picture of a wahoo, for the chance to yell Wahoo, by one of the biggest yahoo's on the muskie forums?

I deserve to win for that alone!!!

(Wahoo.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments Wahoo.jpg (110KB - 232 downloads)
LOTWbeachbum
Posted 2/21/2008 12:15 PM (#302793 - in reply to #302600)

Why do I deserve to win an Okuma Reel?
I've been asking myself this same question for a couple of hours now, wasting the great State of Minnesota's hard earned tax dollars rather than shaping young minds.

-Should I write about financial hardship and lack of effective funding for expensive hobbies? : NO, we all must cope with rising gas prices and sudden onset economic recession. (like flashpoint diarrahea - you can't see it coming, it just happens.)
- Should I share stories of little babies, desperate housewives, and puppies? NO, of course playing the "child card" or the "wife card" might get me some bonus points at home I must remember they're not the fine judges of this illustrious competition. If they were, Dad wins every time.
- Should I drop some election year political rhetoric about "the haves vs. the have nots", all the while underlying it with some deeply emotional hidden religious agenda? NO, I think I read THAT post on MuskieFirst yesterday and the powers that be (Sworrall) frowns on Politics and Religion when we should be talking Fluorocarbon Leaders and Ohio Muskie Shows.

Why do I deserve to win an Okuma Reel?

The original post had some guidelines and suggestions.... one word explanation or personal thesis.... well, now I know why I should win? Two words.

TEACHER'S SALARY.
My paycheck was delivered to my office mailbox over the lunch period. I knew my REASON would come to me eventually. and there she be.... all that is left is to get creative with this Photo part of the contest.....

Although I was immediately impressed with MuskyHopeful's (Kevin) diatribe and picture of Okuma Shigenobu, I can't help but notice that the "rules" state that said picture must include Okuma Bling and a fish. And after some research of my own, I've learned that Okuma Shigenobu was probably too busy serving in his role as Prime Minister of Japan during the turn of the 20th century to pose for fish pictures. I did find a Happy Snappy of Okuma Pro Staff member, Joel St. Germain, holding 2 fish. (1 for him and 1 for the Prime Minister)
out
Kirby

(Okuma Shigenobu.jpg)

(Joel St.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments Okuma Shigenobu.jpg (11KB - 221 downloads)
Attachments Joel St.jpg (49KB - 224 downloads)
Bytor
Posted 2/21/2008 12:27 PM (#302795 - in reply to #302793)

I should win the Okuma reel because it will be given to my youngest daughter Mia. Mia loves watching the musky shows on Saturday mornings with Dad. She is well-versed on catch and release. She knows that we just take a quick picture and then get the fish back in the water asap, so that it “can go home and be with it’s family”.

Mia was born with hearing loss and as we found out quickly, insurance companies don’t care about infants with hearing loss. They don’t cover anything. The cost of the hearing aids or any Doctor visits associated with the hearing aids. We had a dramatic lifestyle change as my wife quit her job to stay home with Mia. So after sufferring a 45% loss in our income, all perks were gone. Dad’s biggest perk, buying musky fishing gear, was history. I am lucky that my boat was already paid for. I started selling bucktails, it is the only way that I can feed my musky Jones. In the past I enjoyed making them for a few friends and myself. Now I’ve reached the point where I hate making them. I am scaling my small operation back this year so I can’t afford one of those wonderful Okuma reels.

If I win the reel it will be hermetically sealed in a mayonnaise jar underneath Bytor’s porch. It will remain there until Mia is old enough to use it.

To our esteemed judges:

If I don’t win, “May a diseased yak squat in your hot tub.”

If I do win you will make a future musky hunter very happy.

Answer: Big Ben, Joe Namath and a candidate's campaign promises

Question: What is a clock, a jock and a crock.

(okuma_eye .jpg)

(Futuremuskyslayer.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments okuma_eye .jpg (45KB - 224 downloads)
Attachments Futuremuskyslayer.jpg (41KB - 224 downloads)
Clark A
Posted 2/21/2008 12:52 PM (#302802 - in reply to #302795)

I think Ajohnson should win for picking such a good picture! L.O.L.!! Yes, I realize my shirt was on backwards!!!!

Edited by Clark A 2/21/2008 4:33 PM
Ajohnson
Posted 2/21/2008 3:53 PM (#302851 - in reply to #302802)

Clark A, thanx for the great post! I hope I win the okuma reel but good luck to everyone else!

Edited by Ajohnson 2/21/2008 4:43 PM
Clark A
Posted 2/21/2008 4:36 PM (#302862 - in reply to #302851)

Alex, it is fine! I'm just trying to forget about the backwards shirt man gut photo! Wearing clothing that represents 2 different rod/reel manufacturers is also pretty lame on my end, but I'm not fancy like some!
baldeaglefisherman
Posted 2/21/2008 7:31 PM (#302899 - in reply to #302600)

i dont have a really good story of why i should win the reel like some of the other guys on here but i dont have a good musky reel also i think i would put the reel to good use but most importantly i said pretty please. ALSO I LOVE OKUMA

hopefully that worked

(heather-okuma-striper.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments heather-okuma-striper.jpg (33KB - 222 downloads)
Clark A
Posted 2/21/2008 8:17 PM (#302917 - in reply to #302600)

Well..you can't win if you don't play!
Some reasons why I deserve to win the Okuma Induron IDX 400a!
1. I got the boys (not mine, no one will breed with me) matching Okuma lunge outfits last year, and got 3 hats. Unfortunately the really pro muskie fisherman that wears an Okuma hat is still fishing with one of those silver simulated Swedish coffee grinders!
2. I really like Polar Bears!!! Pinchey, Pinchey, NIIIICCCE!!!
3. I will burn the shirt that has the "S" word on it! I have a tendency to put it on backwards to begin with!
4. The Okuma Corporation and/or any subsidiary/agent of the fore-mentioned corporation may use my photo and spectacular testimonial with no financial obligation of my non-certified (can't kill it, and put it on a certified scale 12 hours later...but obviously over 54 lbs.) Minnesota state record Muskellunge that will be captured while using the flawless, butter smooth Okuma Induron IDX 400a with the perfectly matched Okuma EVX-C-6101XH 6' 10" HAWG WHIPPER rod, and a 16" Hawg Teaser by Hawg Seeker Tackle (they...unfortunatlely will pay through the nose..kidding..your hang time is the best in the business). I will be by the time of the capture very visually appealing and marketable. Flat six pack abs stomach, sporting a tight fitting Antonio Banderas styled Okumo shirt (put on correctly without the help of a caretaker) with the pipes to match (no longer with the pussie arm jig fisherman look), 2 eyebrows, and a less glossy complextion without the pointy ferret like facial features. No need for a spendy hair transplant due to the handy Okuma hat! I AM OKUMA MAN!!! I gotta post more than one pic of my Okuma buddies!!!

Edited by Clark A 2/21/2008 10:09 PM

(08.07.07 18 smallie Mitchel.jpg)

(08.07.07 19 smallie Mitchel.jpg)

(08.04.07 Mitchel the winner.jpg)

(Grant muncher eye.jpg)

(08.08.07 36.5 pike Mitchel.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments 08.07.07 18 smallie Mitchel.jpg (60KB - 228 downloads)
Attachments 08.07.07 19 smallie Mitchel.jpg (78KB - 206 downloads)
Attachments 08.04.07 Mitchel the winner.jpg (107KB - 207 downloads)
Attachments Grant muncher eye.jpg (32KB - 212 downloads)
Attachments 08.08.07 36.5 pike Mitchel.jpg (69KB - 209 downloads)
MuskyTaleMike
Posted 2/23/2008 6:23 PM (#303383 - in reply to #302600)

Can't load pics.

Edited by MuskyTaleMike 2/24/2008 7:49 PM
mikie
Posted 2/24/2008 8:46 AM (#303455 - in reply to #302600)

Here's my entry. I'd like the reel because I got a new rod at the muskie show and I'm giving one of my old ones to Mauser; he'll need this Okuma to go with it. Should be a killer combo for him at the Vermilion outing for big bucktails and topwaters. m

(tony okuma fish2.JPG)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments tony okuma fish2.JPG (56KB - 206 downloads)
ESfishOX
Posted 2/24/2008 1:20 PM (#303491 - in reply to #302600)

I'd take the opportunity to let those fishing with me try out the reel. I have the 400 on a lighter rod and can cast small spinners and cranks a mile. I'd like to affix another 400 on a sturdier rod so the same can be done with bigger baits. I've been known to offer rob combos to those who fish with me and don't yet have a baitcasting combo. I commend those who already stated they'd use if for youth fishing and raising money for MI and/or stocking.

same day as Curleytail's post, but here is a different fish. Twas a fun day fishing with 'gruter. Mike

(m1st_okuma_contest.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments m1st_okuma_contest.jpg (133KB - 205 downloads)
MuskyTaleMike
Posted 2/24/2008 7:44 PM (#303560 - in reply to #302600)

My needing to win this fishing reel is quite simple:

1) I own two of these reels already.
2) I have other rods to affix this one to.
3) I will be fishing the Wisconsin Muskie Tour this year.
4) I would like to be a Pro staffer for Okuma.
5) The photo is of the salt water equal of the freshwater, Esox masquinongy.

Okuma Induron IDx Baitcasting Reels
The Okuma Induron series of classic round bait casting reels uses the same precision engineering that is used in the production of our tournament-grade off-shore reels. Machined from bar stock aluminum, these precision-crafted reels feature seven stainless steel bearings and a stainless one-way roller bearing.

• Titanium coated line guide insert
• Multi-disk Carbonite drag system
• 7 stainless steel ball bearings
• 1 Quick-Set antireverse roller bearing
• Precision machine cut brass gearing
• 1-piece Machined Rigid Frame construction
• Adjustable 6-pin Velocity Control System
• On/Off clicker function on 400 models

(Mako_2_R.jpg)

(okumainduronidx.jpg)

(picicast07okuma.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments Mako_2_R.jpg (34KB - 224 downloads)
Attachments okumainduronidx.jpg (17KB - 204 downloads)
Attachments picicast07okuma.jpg (59KB - 221 downloads)
sorenson
Posted 2/25/2008 8:40 AM (#303634 - in reply to #303560)

Well, I suppose I ought to respond to this thread since you can't win if you don't enter...

Well, my impression of why I should win the Okuma reel is based upon my desire to continually upgrade my equipment by the most cost-effective means possible – getting stuff free. For we all know that getting something for free is way better than having to pay for it.

If I am chosen as the winner of this prize, I will do my best to learn and employ proper figure 8 techniques even in the face of the obvious conditioning affect it has on the fish. I am yet unsure if I will be a ‘freespool thumber’, or make use of the drag, but with a reel of this quality, I’m leaning toward using the drag. I really need every advantage I can get as I rarely get a chance to pick the brain of a quality guide face to face and the fish I pursue are only half muskie, and as such severely handicapped genetically, rendering my shot at a trophy a virtual impossibility. Maybe I should use scent. My wife didn’t give me any muskie gear for Valentine’s Day and all of my muskies by definition, must cost much less than $100k as I wish to finance my obsession by winning free stuff. Mark wouldn’t even have to ship it as I would be more than happy to pick it up in person when I visit southern California in June; thereby making it even more cost effective for Okuma. I’m all about helping out.

While viewing the picture you may notice that I really need to beef up my gear a bit – not that the Okuma Aveon isn’t a perfectly capable reel (it did, in fact account for a tiger muskie landed through the ice last Friday), it’s just a bit minimal for what I have decided to target now. Since all the cool kids are after a 50”+ fish these days, most everything else must be viewed as something of a letdown.
As for the fish being held in the picture, sure, he’s a bit lean but he swam away surprisingly strong. Well not really that strong, but I did throw him back, so I’m pretty sure my successful release streak is still intact.

(Skinny perch.JPG)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments Skinny perch.JPG (152KB - 209 downloads)
Slamr
Posted 2/3/2011 9:24 AM (#479467 - in reply to #302600)

This site needs more ridiculous contest.

Anyone remember who won?
baldeaglefisherman
Posted 2/3/2011 10:34 AM (#479490 - in reply to #302600)

I think it was muskellunged I don't know why I remember that and I could be wrong but thats the name that comes to me.
California_Muskie
Posted 2/3/2011 11:37 AM (#479505 - in reply to #479467)

Slamr - 2/3/2011 9:24 AM

This site needs more ridiculous contest.

*** Well... lets do one then.
California_Muskie
Posted 2/3/2011 1:03 PM (#479523 - in reply to #302600)

You just lost the next contest
muskellunged
Posted 2/3/2011 1:46 PM (#479531 - in reply to #479490)

baldeaglefisherman - 2/3/2011 10:34 AM I think it was muskellunged I don't know why I remember that and I could be wrong but thats the name that comes to me.

Yep!  Great contest, reel, and customer service!

Sam Ubl
Posted 2/3/2011 1:55 PM (#479535 - in reply to #302600)

I deserve to win the Okuma because I'm a working man and Okuma's a working mans product.

(tonygrant1.jpg)

(Christies_May_2009_Ski.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments tonygrant1.jpg (52KB - 160 downloads)
Attachments Christies_May_2009_Ski.jpg (207KB - 164 downloads)
Madhatter
Posted 2/3/2011 2:22 PM (#479538 - in reply to #302600)

I have been snowed in the last 2 days with every school in the area canceled, even the University of Iowa Canceled classes and I have spent almost all the free time I gained reading about musky fishing thinking about how long it is going to take for all this snow and ice to be gone.
http://blog.okumafishing.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/01/Brandon_els...

(Okuma.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments Okuma.jpg (20KB - 137 downloads)
Slamr
Posted 2/3/2011 2:33 PM (#479541 - in reply to #302600)

Guys!!! This contest was completed years ago...I was just refreshing it as an idea!
sworrall
Posted 2/3/2011 2:36 PM (#479542 - in reply to #302600)

It's a refreshing idea, wouldn't you say?
Slamr
Posted 2/3/2011 2:54 PM (#479544 - in reply to #479542)

sworrall - 2/3/2011 2:36 PM

It's a refreshing idea, wouldn't you say?

LDJ
Sam Ubl
Posted 2/3/2011 3:00 PM (#479546 - in reply to #302600)

Well geez, I finally jump into one of these and now this, lol... Open up the "Edit" option, I need to delete mine.
Jump to page : 1 2 3
Now viewing page 2 [30 messages per page]
Frozen
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)