Muskie Discussion Forums

Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Language | Blogs Search | Statistics | User Listing
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )
Moderators: sworrall, Slamr

View previous thread :: View next thread
Jump to page : 1 2 3
Now viewing page 2 [30 messages per page]

More Muskie Fishing -> Muskie Biology -> caught and release, how many die?

Message Subject: caught and release, how many die?
muskellunged
Posted 1/31/2008 12:59 PM (#297924 - in reply to #297891)
Subject: RE: caught and release, how many die?

brad b - 1/31/2008 11:14 AM
The information MRoberts posted is directly from the regulations. Once you KEEP/Possess your daily bag limit of fish, you may not continue to fish for that species any more that day. Period. If the limit for ski's is one and you put one in the box, you ARE done for the day.

ON that particular lake, correct? I live a good ways from musky waters, so if this occurred early in my trip, I would jump lakes, provided I felt confident I could release my next catch without difficulty.

EDIT:having read Jordan Weeks comment below, I am thankful for his post.

Edited by muskellunged 1/31/2008 1:46 PM
jonnysled
Posted 1/31/2008 1:11 PM (#297927 - in reply to #297740)
Subject: Re: caught and release, how many die?

... so we should eat them? and i'm not wasting the money to mount an average-sized fish .... nope, not me and not under any circumstance. so, now if a fish dies when you try to release ... if you don't eat it's unsafe meat or spend the money to mount it, then you're a zealout and a hypocrite? ... come on guys, you're beyond that aren't you? a guy that decides to kill a fish is justified by law but a guy who accidentally kills a fish and doesn't want to eat it's unsafe meat is called out ... help me to make sense of that argument.

maybe it's best to hit the bladder, sink it and keep it from the eagles and make sure that the turtles and coons get it.

who are these same people who zealously chastise people for killing fish ... usually best to name names and not leave it up for supposition ... seguaying that into a paragraph directed to me specifically draws the implication that you're commenting on me there?

i could give a crap if a guy keeps a fish ... just don't justify it in any other way that the direct decision to kill a fish for personal reasons and not that the fish was beyond it's life-cycle and the other silliness that typically comes along with it. keep it, kill it, mount it or eat it but don't use it to brag to the world and claim nobility ...

and ... if you know a bunch of musky eaters there's a river in park falls polluted with small males that could use some selective harvest IMO
esoxaddict
Posted 1/31/2008 1:20 PM (#297928 - in reply to #297918)

esoxaddict - 1/31/2008 12:38 PM

On a side note, isn't it interesting how these same discussions can be incredibly civil in July, but suddenly turn toxic in January?

I know you weren't directing that post at me Jon, but....

I think you might be making an unnecessary leap from "here's what I would do and why" to "anybody who doesn't do this is wrong"

Just sayin' But then I hardly ever catch the darn things anyway, so I guess my opinion here is... Well we won't go there!
jonnysled
Posted 1/31/2008 1:22 PM (#297929 - in reply to #297928)

mine was in response to mroberts' last post ...

there are a lot of "options" for what to do if you're faced with the situation ...

Edited by jonnysled 1/31/2008 1:27 PM
J_WEEKS
Posted 1/31/2008 1:23 PM (#297930 - in reply to #297918)

All,

A common number used by fisheries professionals is 7% fishing mortality when considering muskellunge as the target species.

The important thing to remember (especially in WI) is that our fish most likely don't get to 40, let alone 50 inches without an encounter with an angler. In addition, fishing (hooking) mortality is cumulative. Furthermore, just because a fish swims off you cannot assume it lived. This fact is undeniable, if you fish muskies sucessfully you will kill fish. Can one minimize fishing mortality? Yes. Can one eliminate fishing mortailty? Absolutely not.

To say that you are 100% C&R is great, cudos to those who practice this, it shows great respect for the resource. At the same time, those who say they would take a dead fish for utilization (mount, food, donation the the local DNR(which is the best choice-there is a lot of information that can be utilized from harvested muskies), show an equal amount of respect for the fish.

Regarding those who choose to let the fish be "food" for something else. That's fine, but you are missing out on a great opportunity to not only learn something about the fish/lake/stock, and help fisheries personnel better manage your fisheries. Even sub-legal muskies don't have to be "turtle food". All that needs to be done is call the local warden (1800TIPWDNR-in Wisconsin), explain that you want to donate a dead fish to the Department-you will be doing a great service. This will also settle the discussion about possession and bag limits and if you may continue to fish.

So, the bottom line is...choose for yourself-leave others alone, and if a musky dies on you, and you don't want it, PLEASE put int a garbage bag in your freezer and get hold of me ([email protected]). I will arrange to have it transported to me so I can use it to learn more about the fish we all love.

Jordan Weeks
tcbetka
Posted 1/31/2008 1:29 PM (#297931 - in reply to #297930)

Great post Jordan, thanks for clarifying the issue of what to do with a (dead) sub-legal fish. I am also a firm believer that one should not "throw away" data, and thus would choose to keep any (legal) fish that did not survive. Cleithra hold valuable information, and should not be discarded summarily. We should all respect the resource at least *that* much.

I for one appreciate your input in the thread.

Tom Betka

EDIT: I should have mentioned that I will indeed call the local Warden about a dead sub-legal fish, should that ever become necessary.

Edited by tcbetka 1/31/2008 1:31 PM
MRoberts
Posted 1/31/2008 1:43 PM (#297934 - in reply to #297740)

Sled, paragraph 4 was a general opinion paragraph, which is why in the next paragraph I redirected back to you. By starting with Sled:

I didn’t feel I needed to call out any names, because that is how we get in trouble on these threads and my guess is most who follow all the threads know what I am talking about. I freely admit you have had a level head in all of these discussion and you have stated many times your position that you wish people would just be honest about why they kept a fish. But please remember some fish do “JUST” die and if someone states that, they could be telling the truth. I think some people do believe they “NEVER” just die.

I will also admit that I think the excuse “It died, so I had to keep it.” Gets over used, but why do people feel they need to make that excuse. Maybe because every time someone in the C&R musky world keeps a fish they get torn apart

I don’t know if your “…zealout and a hypocrite?” comment was directed at me but NOWHERE did I say that. I talked about people zealously chastising people for keeping fish and that’s exactly what I meant. Because it happens, almost every time a kept fish is posted on any musky board. Nowhere did I say someone who dead releases a fish is a zealot, this practice just doesn’t make sense to me.

I think Steve’s post pretty much hit the nail of how I feel, that feeling is what caused me to ask why originally.

And thank you Jordon for posting.

Nail A Pig!

Mike

Edited by MRoberts 1/31/2008 1:46 PM
J_WEEKS
Posted 1/31/2008 1:45 PM (#297935 - in reply to #297931)

Thanks Tom.

Maybe as we all sit here waiting for the water to soften we can take a little time to find out the phone number for the warden or fisheries biologist in the areas we fish. Be proactive so that when "it" happens the death of the fish won't be a total loss.

I say this from experience. In the summer of 2006 I had a fish die on me. Unfortunately it wasn't 54.1-inches long and therefore was illegal to keep. Had I prepared myself for the situation (just like having the proper release tools), I could have contacted the MNR and had the fish donated to science instead of the eagles. But without the proper contacts-I was powerless.

Cell phone technology has made this very easy, even in Canada. To me this is as important aas sharpening my hooks before season.

Jordan
jonnysled
Posted 1/31/2008 1:48 PM (#297938 - in reply to #297931)

totally agree mike ...

this discussion took a turn that has now given some options i never knew of before and it's one that is worthy of discussion because i would think it comes up for everyone at least once ...

what can we "legally" do to a sub-legal fish that dies, and then what "should" we do with a legal fish that dies and we don't want to eat it ... ??

if we all are so focused on doing the right thing for the resource, should there be similar lobbying, legislation and education issues to best deal with these topics? i haven't seen this discussed before ... maybe it has.

esoxaddict
Posted 1/31/2008 2:02 PM (#297942 - in reply to #297938)

I've read about the cleitherum bone studies, and the DNR taking scale samples. But I have to admit, I never considered that the DNR might actually WANT a fish that fell to angler induced mortality. That's a better option than eating it in my opinion, and better than a skin mount of a 38" fish, which I wouldn't really want...

Jordan, what about a fish that isn't of legal size? Obviously you could still use it, but wouldn't we be putting ourselves at risk by keeping it no matter how good our intentions were?
sworrall
Posted 1/31/2008 2:07 PM (#297945 - in reply to #297740)

Mr. Weeks,

Thanks for the response.

Sled, chill. You went off the road again, buddy, easy there.

Don't claim 'noblity'?? OK, you caught a big fish a couple years back and let her go. Lots of images out there. If that fish had died and been found floating later ( that happened a few years back to a good friend with a 54" class fish) or had died in the battle with no fault to your handling techniques, would you have 'retracted' 'the catch? Come on, we can't have it both ways. So if I catch a 56" fish off the River and it dies, I should hit it's bladder and sink it? No? OK, then 50"? No? Then 45"? What, pray tell, is the size where that's OK, and what is the difference?

Called out? I don't think so, just questioned on my part and for what I feel is a very good reason. I have a personal problem with those who think wasting fish and game is OK for ANY reason. WE ALL KNOW when we hit the water we might kill a fish accidentally, and IMHO (see that?? my opinion??) everyone should be prepared for that possibility. If we don't have a plan for proper and ethical use for an accidentally killed Muskie, either a 34" or a 54", then I'm suggesting we are unprepared for that more than possible event.

And that isn't sportsman like conduct by the credo passed on to me. Sorry if that offends, but it's how I was raised and schooled.

Sure I had a plan. I used it the last time I accidentally killed a legal fish. I took it to a taxidermist and donated it, and donated the meat to the Boulder Junction fall festival. Let's see, that was about....15 years ago. if the fish is under 45" or out of waters safe to consume the meat, I'd donate the skin to a taxidermist, and go get the meat next time through, and put that stuff in the smoker. Around this place, it'd get gone.

But now...
I'd give it to Mr. Weeks, now that I know that's cool. better use of the resource for my personal satisfaction. And that, folks, is what this boils down to.

Addict, no, not if you call a Warden and get it taken care of. Now THAT is sportsmanship, what am.
J_WEEKS
Posted 1/31/2008 2:25 PM (#297951 - in reply to #297942)

addict,

While I can't speak for all wardens, most, when contacted should be sympathetic and do understand that fish die (I got a 32 inch fish from a local lake last summer this way). The angler called the warden, explained his circumstance and I got the fish. The key is explaining you didn't intentially kill the fish and don't want to keep it. Also, call immediately, DO NOT do anything that would otherwise be illegal like putting a sub-legal fish in your livewell and moving the boat or leaving the lake. Call from the location of the catch and make sure you get an answer from the warden before you do anything. Wardens are very good at determining when someone is lying, so if you are telling the truth, you have to worry about-right?

However, I cannot speak for Law Enforcement. This post does not give anyone permission to take sub-legal fish into possession or act outside the law.

I am mearly suggesting a possible course of action.

Jordan
jonnysled
Posted 1/31/2008 2:29 PM (#297953 - in reply to #297945)

sworrall - 1/31/2008 2:07 PM

Sled, chill. You went off the road again, buddy, easy there.

Don't claim 'noblity'?? OK, you caught a big fish a couple years back and let her go. Lots of images out there. If that fish had died and been found floating later ( that happened a few years back to a good friend with a 54" class fish) or had died in the battle with no fault to your handling techniques, would you have 'retracted' 'the catch? Come on, we can't have it both ways. So if I catch a 56" fish off the River and it dies, I should hit it's bladder and sink it? No? OK, then 50"? No? Then 45"? What, pray tell, is the size where that's OK, and what is the difference?

Called out? I don't think so, just questioned on my part and for what I feel is a very good reason. I have a personal problem with those who think wasting fish and game is OK for ANY reason. WE ALL KNOW when we hit the water we might kill a fish accidentally, and IMHO (see that?? my opinion??) everyone should be prepared for that possibility. If we don't have a plan for proper and ethical use for an accidentally killed Muskie, either a 34" or a 54", then I'm suggesting we are unprepared for that more than possible event.

And that isn't sportsman like conduct by the credo passed on to me. Sorry if that offends, but it's how I was raised and schooled.

Sure I had a plan. I used it the last time I accidentally killed a legal fish. I took it to a taxidermist and donated it, and donated the meat to the Boulder Junction fall festival. Let's see, that was about....15 years ago. if the fish is under 45" or out of waters safe to consume the meat, I'd donate the skin to a taxidermist, and go get the meat next time through, and put that stuff in the smoker. Around this place, it'd get gone.

where did that can of worms come from reading what i wrote? ...

as long as someone else's IMO is different it's not ok and not "ethical"? and a wasted resource? ... i see the ecosystem and it's ability to dispose of it's own (IMO) as a viable and ethical way to handle the situation ... it's a different opinion than yours so it's wrong and you have a personal problem with it ... that's fine, but don't start spinning this into something it's not ...

jonnysled
Posted 1/31/2008 2:34 PM (#297956 - in reply to #297740)

oh ... and i differentiated what i called "average" sized ... so, Steve if to me it was a big fish, it gets a skin mount if it dies. .... a low 40's or 30's ... i'm not spending the money IMO. maybe 48" would work IMO ... the rest i don't know and that's why i'm asking the questions.

your not anywhere near the road i'm driving on and i've been driving between the lines the whole time ... we just disagree and you're trying to drive me off the road with your position ... IMO
J_WEEKS
Posted 1/31/2008 2:35 PM (#297957 - in reply to #297945)

Steve,

You could probaly get the fish to Steve Gilbert or John Kubisiak as well.

I also want to reitterate:

I DO NOT ENFORCE LAWS, AND THERE IS A POSSIBILITY YOU MAY BE CITED BY LAW ENFORCEMENT.

NOR DO I GIVE ANYONE PERMISSION TO HARVEST SUB-LEGAL FISH.

What I have said are mearly suggestions...which I follow myself. In short, if I kill a sub-legal fish while angling next summer, the first thing I will do is call the local warden, explain my situation and hopefully arrange to get the fish for research purposes. The threat of a citation will not enter my mind (If I got a ticket-it would still be worth it)

Jordan

sworrall
Posted 1/31/2008 3:29 PM (#297964 - in reply to #297740)

OK, Sled:
"unless it's a trophy floater ... i see nothing wrong with eagles, coons and turtles getting some grub ... that would be the natural process.'

I do. Doesn't mean I'm right and you are wrong, but I'll argue the point because I believe strongly in my position.

". gimme a break, it's a pain in the a$$ to keep a fish and the eagles, turtles and coons are not a "waste" ."

As I said...

"... so we should eat them? and i'm not wasting the money to mount an average-sized fish .... nope, not me and not under any circumstance. so, now if a fish dies when you try to release ... if you don't eat it's unsafe meat or spend the money to mount it, then you're a zealout and a hypocrite? ... come on guys, you're beyond that aren't you? a guy that decides to kill a fish is justified by law but a guy who accidentally kills a fish and doesn't want to eat it's unsafe meat is called out ... help me to make sense of that argument.'

That's what I'm trying to do.

'where did that can of worms come from reading what i wrote? ...

From your comments that it's OK to submarine a legal muskie or feed it to the birds if it dies. I disagree, for the reasons I listed.

as long as someone else's IMO is different it's not ok and not "ethical"? and a wasted resource?'

If you throw a legal fish that died to the birds, YES...that's unethical in my opinion. In my HUMBLE opinion, one should enter the field or venture out on the water with the full expectation that the quarry we trip across and in the case of fishing accidentally kill might not be what we are looking for as a trophy, but if we harvest that critter, either intentionally or unintentionally, it should be properly utilized. And, in some areas a warden could issue a citation for wasting the resource if they catch someone popping a freshly harvested 42"/32"/36" muskie's air bladder and tossing it back, or tossing it on the bank for the raccoons.

I used the different sizes and asked which would be utilized and which would be thrown away to solidify my point.

Add to that it's illegal to 'dispose' of a dead fish in Wisconsin waters, there you have it.

Now that Mr. Weeks has offered you an alternative, this entire argument is moot, right?

Pointerpride102
Posted 1/31/2008 3:57 PM (#297970 - in reply to #297964)

I guess I'll chime in again.....

I kind of echo some of Sled's points. I really dont have a use for a fish out of water. Yes you could donate the meat, or donate the fish to the DNR. Although just because a fish gets donated to the DNR doesnt mean anything is going to happen to it. I've seen stuff come in that gets frozen and discarded. That said I wont fault anyone for donating the meat or the fish to the DNR, good for you.

For me I dont see it as a waste if left in its natural habitat. I see it as returning some amount of nutrients back to the system. It might not be a massive amount of nutrients, but some none the less.

I have never been in this situation so maybe once faced with this situation I'll change my mind and bring it to a DNR or fillet it up, who knows. But I think as is right now I'd get it to sink down and tell the crayfish to light the candle under the better and prepare for a feast. Call up the leaches and let them in on the action....wont the walleyes be happy with some fatter leaches?

On this same token there was a day I was locking up the cabin on Pelican and making sure the boat was locked up and had a good sized musky float under my dock. Actually freaked me out a bit as I was only about 8 or 10. It was belly up but it appeared as it had just died so I grabbed it. As I did it gave a little kick as if it wanted to go. So I yelled for grandma to come down by the lake and check it out. She said why dont we take it and eat it. Remember I was only 8 or a little older and hardly knew what a musky was but I wanted to try and get it to swim away. So I walked out deeper with it and practiced what I'd seen on some fishing shows. I spent a good half hour or so out there with it and a few times thought it was going to make it, but it just wouldnt kick. So I brought it back and we filleted it up. My grandma and I ate, I didnt particularly care for it, so that might be an influence on why I dont want to keep one now. But I also brought the entrails and head back with us to burry in her garden as I didnt want any of the fish to go to waste.

So maybe when faced with this predicament maybe I will bring the fish back, and maybe I wont. This has been a good debate and gives many good options of what to do with a dead fish. I dont feel that leaving the fish in its natural habitat is a waste and should be an option open for someone to choose without critisizm.
esoxaddict
Posted 1/31/2008 4:44 PM (#297981 - in reply to #297970)

horse.... dead...

But did anybody stop to think about the fact that the 7% mortality rate comes down to about 1 out of every 13 muskies we catch that probably doesn't make it?

If 10,000 musky anglers each catch 20 muskies in a season, that's 14,000 that don;t survive.

wow.
jonnysled
Posted 2/1/2008 7:23 AM (#298092 - in reply to #297740)

eagles and turtles will probably try to eat a horse too jeff
MRoberts
Posted 2/1/2008 8:23 AM (#298108 - in reply to #298092)

I believe this was a very good discussion and some very interesting items came up that deserve further discussion.

I.E. the ability to get an undersized fish that dies into the hands of the proper DNR personnel so it can be used for study.

Completely understand that this was Jordan’s opinion and not necessarily the opinion of the WDNR and not a guarantee against citation if you try and possess a under sized fish. Every Warden is different, but a call to the local warden from the water with a dead undersized fish in the net could mean one of two things. He could say let it sink, or he could say bring it to the local WDNR station. There is at least a chance the fish could be used.

I think this topic is worth more discussion with the WDNR. As Jordon suggested it’s probably best to discuss this with each local biologist and warden. And in no circumstance expect any part of the fish returned to you or this will NEVER work. As there can be no excuse to harvest an undersized fish illegally!

The second thing I was thinking about last night was, MAN if bass and walleye guys ever read this thread they are going to think we are ALL NUTS! I mean we had a bunch of die hard catch and release guys, which even the most moderate of this group are still considered extreme by other anglers, are arguing over what to do with the less than 1% of the fish that die during the fight and netting and don’t swim away. It really makes us look crazy. But yet I still feel it’s a valid conversation to have. You have to love what these fish do to our psyche.

Nail A Pig!

Mike
esox50
Posted 2/1/2008 10:04 AM (#298133 - in reply to #298108)

MRoberts - 2/1/2008 8:23 AM
MAN if bass and walleye guys ever read this thread they are going to think we are ALL NUTS!

Well, aren't we?

I will echo Mike's thoughts. Life would be SO boring if everyone shared the same opinions. Look what came out of it! Just goes to show what kind of discussion can be had if everyone keeps a level head. I hope no one is ever in this situation but if you are, at least you have thought critically about it and can make a well-informed decision be it either calling the DNR, donating the fish to someone else if it is of legal size, or simply leaving it to the birds and 'coons. The point is you have thought and discussed the topic which, IMO, is better than making a quick, ill-informed decision. For instance, if I am ever in Vilas or Oneida and a 50"+ dies on me during the release I may NOT donate it to another family based on the higher mercury levels Steve and Sled allured to. I digress, good conversation all around (this is why I enjoy M1st)!

Best of luck in '08!
Posted 2/1/2008 10:12 AM (#298136 - in reply to #297740)

Mike (Roberts),

I totally agree with your last paragraph-and thought of that before I posted. It's always a slippery slope. But, I guess in the end, I posted for the muskie (ie to learn more so we can make fishing better-thats why I work where I do.

PointerMike...

Common man-send me a PM and let me know who is throwing away all these frozen muskies-unused...I'll make sure I get em.

I'm surprised you aren't interested in helping should you have a fish die-I thought you were an aspiring fisheries guy?...I posted that I would use them-so this leeches and turtle stuff is BS.

Jordan
jonnysled
Posted 2/1/2008 11:02 AM (#298143 - in reply to #298136)

Guest - 2/1/2008 10:12 AM

PointerMike...

I'm surprised you aren't interested in helping should you have a fish die-I thought ou were an aspiring fisheries guy?...I posted that I would use them-so this leeches and turtle stuff is BS.

Jordan

Jordan ... Mike puts out a legitimate argument that contradicts what you and steve feel passionate about. the passion of you and Steve on "wanton-waste" is an opinion IMO ... you may not agree with Mike and i and that's fine ... the natural balance is provided for by the coons, eagle, turtle component ... adding 1% to that mix is not disrupting the balance.

i have noted your contact information, it's another way to handle the situation ... but mike (pointer) is not "wrong" ... he's putting another perspective out there and shouldn't be consideres less of a student or conservationist for doing it ...
MRoberts
Posted 2/1/2008 11:23 AM (#298155 - in reply to #298143)

From the ’07 – ’08 WI Fishing Regulations

Statewide Fishing Restrictions
It is illegal—

• to deposit fish carcasses or parts, including entrails or other waste, into Wisconsin waters.

From subsection "Other", on Page 8

That is the exact wording of the regulation that started some of this. There is the contradiction, if the fish is undersized, but we all will have to make our own decisions one the water.

As Esox50 stated we can now at least make better informed decisions.

Nail A Pig!

Mike
Hoop
Posted 2/1/2008 11:34 AM (#298161 - in reply to #297740)

I think there is quite a range of "gray" between depositing fish carcasses and unsuccessfully releasing a fish.

I guess I am going to have to side with Sled on this. I realize that I will likely to get pounded in doing so, but from the minute I agree to get on the water, thru hooking a fish, I have my camera and tape ready to measure and release the fish.

I doubt that there is any arguement about the ease of properly releasing a fish. Unfortunately some fish are difficult to release and it takes much longer then we would hope, even when taking the proper precautions. If your intent was to release the fish and it would not go, and you don't like to eat fish and it is a fish that you have no interest in getting a skin mount with, what exactly to do with it?

Do you really want to get caught with an undersized fish by the DNR and plead out your case? If not the DNR, other anglers will likely roast you otherwise.

IMHO, this thread is just aimed at providing ammunition for those wanting to keep fish.

esoxaddict
Posted 2/1/2008 11:39 AM (#298163 - in reply to #298155)

Not to overstate the obvious here, Mike, but...

1. It's illegal to keep an undersized fish
2. It's illegal to posess an undersized fish (i.e put it in the livewall and transport it)
3. It's illegal to put a dead fish back in the water
4. It's illegal to waste a fish, which some consider tossing it on shore to be a waste

That leaves... toss it in the air and hope it never comes down????

Unless there's a way to resurrect them, that doesn't leave you any options
MRoberts
Posted 2/1/2008 11:50 AM (#298172 - in reply to #298161)

Hoop - 2/1/2008 11:34 AM

....... other anglers will likely roast you otherwise.

IMHO, this thread is just aimed at providing ammunition for those wanting to keep fish.

Thank you Hoop for responding, your quotes above are what I think are the number one reasons why people will not keep a dead legal musky. Even if they had nothing to do with its death, other than just catching and unhooking the thing. So much emphasis is placed on C&R we can’t bear to see a kept fish, EVEN if it is already dead.

Just my opinion.

Nail A Pig!

Mike
Pointerpride102
Posted 2/1/2008 11:55 AM (#298174 - in reply to #298163)

esoxaddict - 2/1/2008 11:39 AM

That leaves... toss it in the air and hope it never comes down????

Unless there's a way to resurrect them, that doesn't leave you any options

It leaves you two options Jeff, take the hooks off your bait, or stay off the water and sell your gear.

Jordan,

If you re-read my last paragraph it CLEARLY says that I'm not sure what I would do. I've never been faced with the situation of having a fish die on me, at least to the best of my knowledge. I have you contact information and will consider this an option if the situation arises.

I also think you read a little too much into my comment about seeing stuff come in, get frozen and discarded. I'm not talking about muskies. I'm simply stating that I've seen fish and wildlife discarded by a DNR as they dont have the time to go through and analyze the specimens. I've been on gill netting surveys where all the fish caught were left on the shore of the lake. These lakes may be well off the beaten path and not visted by the general public often, but the fish are still dead. Is this wanton waste? Its in the name of science.
Again, I have your contact number and will consider donating a dead musky should that situation arise.

I also dont feel it makes me less of a student if I disagree with your opinion on what to do with a dead musky.
MRoberts
Posted 2/1/2008 12:14 PM (#298177 - in reply to #298174)

Jeff that's the contradiction when talking undersized fish. In my opinion the length limit regulation would trump otherwise it gives a reason for someone to keep an undersized fish.

This is what I plan to do if a fish will not release and dies:
1) If the fish is undersized it goes back even if it is dead unless I can immediately get a warden on the phone to tell me to do something else.

2) If the fish is legal, If it’s big enough I will mount it, if its small enough I will eat it, if it's some place in the middle I try and get it to a biologist. No mater the case I will try and get as much info about it as possible to a biologist. I believe there is much they can do with it even if it is mounted or eaten.

The only reference to waste I found in the fishing regs are what I posted above. So I don’t know about the 4th item you posted.

Nail A Pig!

Mike

Edited by MRoberts 2/1/2008 1:59 PM
sorenson
Posted 2/1/2008 2:48 PM (#298237 - in reply to #298177)

Maybe it's just me, but I think some are making too much of a deal out of a possible situation that most of us will never encounter.

Jordan answered the original question by giving the number that his organization uses in it's estimates (7%); I was going to hypothesize 5-10%. Much of it depends on variables that may or may not be controlled by the angler. Fight duration, gear type, hooking location, time out of water, water temperature, depth fish came from, experience of the angler in handling fish, etc.

Jordan also gave a very reasonable option on pretty much all of the after the fact 'what ifs'. Make up your own mind on how you want to deal with it, but you can't say you've not been given good and viable options IF it ever occurs. It's your fish, your decision, and your restful night; I won't lose any sleep over what YOU do.

Sorno
Jump to page : 1 2 3
Now viewing page 2 [30 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)