Muskie Discussion Forums

Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Language | Blogs Search | Statistics | User Listing
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Random quote: "Son, you could aggrevate the b*lls off a brass monkey"
- (Added by: Muskiecut)

Moderators: Slamr

View previous thread :: View next thread
Jump to page : 1 2 3 4
Now viewing page 2 [30 messages per page]

More Muskie Fishing -> Basement Baits and Custom Lure Painting -> BIG lures - 14 inch plus baits question

Message Subject: BIG lures - 14 inch plus baits question
Tigger
Posted 1/3/2007 9:34 PM (#229835 - in reply to #229834)
Subject: RE: BIG lures - 14 inch plus baits question

Zoom - | Zoom 100% | Zoom + | Expand / Contract | Open New window
Click to expand / contract the width of this image
(DSC02415bigperch.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments DSC02415bigperch.jpg (66KB - 2122 downloads)
Pikiespawn
Posted 1/3/2007 10:05 PM (#229846 - in reply to #201716)

Tony,
I don't know if it is legal to have 4 hooks on a lure in Pennsylvania. You may want to check that. Nice suick, and just a thought.
Musky Snax
Posted 1/3/2007 10:13 PM (#229848 - in reply to #201716)

If that is the case, I would remove the tail hooks as Muskies tend to grab larger prey from the side and towards the head. Smaller baits will often just get inhaled any which way.

Tigger, no thanks needed for recieving the complements you deserve. All of us have our own twist that makes us stand out and your foil and colour schemes are awesome! I'm almost tempted to try making a foil pattern but that is something that you have really perfected and I'm not going to just copy your style. Tempting though cause they look really #*^@ good!!!
uptown
Posted 1/3/2007 10:24 PM (#229850 - in reply to #201716)

Big baits have there time and place. I fish them as much as possible as I have confidence in them. Kingfisher,I have to get a hold of a couple of those spoons in Lake Trout!! WOW!

Here is a pic of a shallow running(6ft) speed trolling lure(got her up to 11mph). Next to a big stalker......

Joe
Trueglide.com
uptown
Posted 1/3/2007 10:27 PM (#229851 - in reply to #201716)

Big baits have there time and place. I fish them as much as possible as I have confidence in them. Kingfisher,I have to get a hold of a couple of those spoons in Lake Trout!! WOW!

Here is a pic of a shallow running(6ft) speed trolling lure(got her up to 11mph). Next to a big stalker and Dadson's 20" Custom.....

Joe
Trueglide.com

(Slugger compare.JPG)

(20inch troller.JPG)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments Slugger compare.JPG (71KB - 438 downloads)
Attachments 20inch troller.JPG (21KB - 283 downloads)
hrj
Posted 1/3/2007 10:27 PM (#229852 - in reply to #201716)

Great Looking Baits!

Quite enjoyed this thread...

Johnny
Musky Snax
Posted 1/3/2007 10:40 PM (#229855 - in reply to #201716)

Joe those are wicked dude! Love the eyes in particular.
uptown
Posted 1/3/2007 10:58 PM (#229860 - in reply to #201716)

Thanks Snax!

I lucked out and was able to buy thousands of eyes up to 35mm at a factory that was closing down. I also purchased the molds. Although, the ones I have tried haven't turned out as nice.

HRJ- You going to Chicago this year?
pamuskyhunter
Posted 1/3/2007 11:23 PM (#229865 - in reply to #201716)

i dont use it in PA i use it in maryland! Thanx for the headup though
dick
Posted 1/4/2007 9:26 AM (#229889 - in reply to #201716)

nice color joe.i like the big stalker style
johnny
Posted 1/4/2007 11:54 AM (#229920 - in reply to #201716)

I will see you there Joe.
Kingfisher
Posted 1/5/2007 6:39 PM (#230276 - in reply to #201716)

Here is the head and side view of my latest 15 inch Deepthreat. This is a new and much improved lure from a couple years ago. The bait is not as tall in the belly area making it balance much much better. These will run over 6 mph with no added weight. Not a rock smasher but still very tough with Oak reinforcing in the head behind the lip. They will not split when accidently hitting boulders at 5 mph. The lure measures 15 inches from nose to tail. The lip is 1/4 inch Lexan,wire is .078 stainless half hard 302. Very sweet runners. Kingfisher

(head.JPG)

(body.JPG)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments head.JPG (17KB - 325 downloads)
Attachments body.JPG (14KB - 246 downloads)
pamuskyhunter
Posted 1/5/2007 6:48 PM (#230277 - in reply to #201716)

nice very nice
Is that a lake trout patteren?
Kingfisher
Posted 1/5/2007 6:57 PM (#230280 - in reply to #201716)

Yes 15 inch Lake trout. Kingfisher
Kingfisher
Posted 1/5/2007 7:35 PM (#230282 - in reply to #201716)

I had not noticed the Dick post . Hes right you know. My Deepthreats are not the same quality as a Wishmaster. Rolf is willing to wet sand 20 coats of polymer to make the finish on a wishmaster second to none. I just said mine look as good Wishmasters will take out a boat propeller and never touch the wood. That is why his lure is 250 to 290 bucks. If I put 20 coats of polymer on one of mine it would be as tough and cost just as much money. I have one with a Titanium Lip that has 8 coats of wet sanded envirotec that you can split wood with. Its as tough as a lure needs to be . Dick has his opinion hes entitled to it. Most of us know what works and what sells and what works and sells. Im loving some of the jobs you other guys are doing,Snax, Fat fingers, Tigger, Grunts, Novac, Joe (true glide)50 or so others Ive missed. The guys getting into FOIL work remind me of the old days when my mother did gold leafing on Weathervanes. Man that is artistry. My goal is to Build Lures that the every day guy can take out and catch Muskies with. My big baits get tougher every year as more guys ask for extra coats of etec or oak reinforcment. More guys are asking for lures that can stand an entire year of bashing rock. That is a brutal test of your babies. Take one of your baits and run it into a rock pile when the water temps are cold(48) watch the polymer explode and the lip split the body like firewood. My hats off to Rolf(Wishmaster) he builds a friggin tank and has helped me on several occasions when I was starting out. His finish is really the standard in toughness. The closer I get to that quality the better. But I have to keep costs down to stay competitive so I am at three coats of envirotec now and have not raised my prices. I found other ways to speed up other steps without losing quality. A little more speed in the machining end and Ill be up to 5 coats of etec for the same price as three. Its all about getting better and staying affordable. All you guys are doing some awsome stuff. I miss this site when Im off working and dont have time to post. Keep up the great work everyone, Kingfisher

Edited by Kingfisher 1/5/2007 7:41 PM
Kingfisher
Posted 1/5/2007 7:58 PM (#230290 - in reply to #201716)

Musky Snax made a comment that I have to second. Thank you Muskies first for giving us this forum to showcase our Lures. You guys are the best on the net and my favorite stop when Im out surfing the musky world. Thanks guys. Kingfisher
Musky Snax
Posted 1/5/2007 8:17 PM (#230293 - in reply to #201716)

A great way to show that appreciation is to donate a bait or two for a special event. I wish I could give more to truly show my gratitude but I have to pay the bills first!

We are all gratefull for any website that allows these kinds of posts. Sadly many sites don't and ultimately they lose out because the more baits we sell, the more we are able to give back.
dick
Posted 1/6/2007 5:43 AM (#230346 - in reply to #201716)

dont worry king i like your lures :)thanks for the reply
Pikiespawn
Posted 1/6/2007 2:49 PM (#230391 - in reply to #230346)

Dick,
I love big baits and fish with them as much as possible when conditions warrant their use. Wishmasters are really an impressive lure. My hats off to Rolf, a nice guy and great builder, but how many guys can afford to run $250 to $350 lures??? Really........

Losing one on a snag would certainly put a crimp in your trip.
Just one mans opinion, but Jeezzzz i can't justify that cost.
Kingfisher
Posted 1/6/2007 8:23 PM (#230447 - in reply to #201716)

I really dont think anyone has to justify the cost. What Rolf sells is an indestructable lure that will last for hundreds of trips and days of pounding. For someone who fishes this type of lure all the time there is no question that the Wishmaster is the best choice. Rolf explains how to build a lure retriever to make sure you dont lose your investment. Now on the other hand there are a lot more guys like me who build a big bait that is more affordable for the guy who makes a couple trips to big bait waters per year. If I were going to georgian bay for one week and it was the only week I would ever have to go in my life would I buy 4 wishmasters for 1000 bucks or four of my baits for 240? Both run great and both catch fish. The difference is one will out last the other. The truth is most of us dont have the water in our back yards to warrent owning Wishmasters. So we buy less expensive ones so we can still take a few shots at those world record fish and not have to sit home with 3 grand in 12 lures hanging on the wall. Its that simple. If I were fishing Georgian bay three days per week or guiding clients on this body of water where banging rock is the way to catch fish I would be pulling Wishmasters . But there are more guys out there who have a week or two every year who can still take a few shots with big baits and not kill the pocket book. Another fact to consider is that One of my Deepthreats or a Frankie bait will last just as long as a Wishmaster if you keep it off the rocks. So on Lake erie or Buffalo Harbor where you troll for suspended fish and do not contact the bottom whos lure is the better choice there? Legend Plows catch a ton of fish in Buffalo harbor but explode on contact with the rocks of Georgian bay. Same with Hooker baits. I could sell 20- 12 to 15 inch deepdivers per week if I could get the price down to 40 bucks each. I watched Legend sell out in three hours at Pittsburg in 2002 at 45 bucks per plow. My booth was right next to them. It was humbling. I had 100 guys pick up a deepthreat and say wow are these nice and go next door and buy three Plows. Three plows 135.00, two Deepthreats 120.00 I think My 12 and 15 inch baits from 2006 and 2007 are tougher than both the Plow and the Hooker bait. and whats really cool is I can custom make one for anybody that will take all the abuse they want including oak reinforcment in the nose,oak dowel glued in thru the lip, lead behind the lip etc. Hooker and legend dont do that. I know it will never happen but I think Rolf should make a more affordable version of the Wishmaster for the average guys to buy. Maybe only 5 coats of finish for 100 bucks eh? Just Kidding Rolf . The paint jobs out there today are way better than they were even in 2002. Thats just a few years ago. So any way Im going to keep trying to find ways to get my prices down and still build a better lure than the production Plastics. The public wants quality at an affordable price and I aim to give it to them. Kingfisher
Musky Snax
Posted 1/6/2007 8:33 PM (#230449 - in reply to #201716)

I say hold out for what you believe they are worth. We can never compete with mass produced baits and compromising any aspect of your baits will only devalue them.

There will always be people who won't spend more than $30 on a lure and there will always be people with money who will appreciate the time and effort put into a hand made custom bait and gladly pay you what you ask.
Pikiespawn
Posted 1/6/2007 8:44 PM (#230452 - in reply to #201716)

Mike,
I am saying exactly what your saying. I really like Wish's, but just can't spend that coin on a lure i could lose in a flash. I am not bashing them. Your right, if he made a lure that was in my price range, i would own it. Everyone doesn't drive a Mercedes, atleast i dont. Peace, PS

Snax, i own your baits and really like them. There is a ton of distance between a bait that cost $50 and one that cost $350... You gotta see where i'm com'in from. How many dudes on this site own wish's? And this is hardcore.......When i look at Rolfs site, he is sold out, so i guess he is definitely smarter than me.

Edited by Pikiespawn 1/6/2007 8:51 PM
Scott
Posted 1/6/2007 11:13 PM (#230467 - in reply to #201716)

Nicely said King
Kingfisher
Posted 1/7/2007 11:00 AM (#230508 - in reply to #201716)

I must stress though,Im not willing to cut quality to get my prices down. The real test for me is find ways to shape my wood and cure my top coats faster and more acurately. My number one issue is and has always been finish sanding my blanks which I still do by hand with 60 grit paper . John at Loke does not do any finishing sanding because his machining is that acurate. He puts a block of wood on his shaper runs it through with the jig and cuts it off. Hes done right there. Then he glues the two halves together and paints. My Shaping gets me real close but I still have to sand in the noses and gill areas of my big baits. A C.N.C. machine would solve all my shaping problems but those suckers are very expensive even for an old one. The market is just not that big to warrant buying one. So Im learning more about Bit Making for my Shapers. With a Deepthreat I might have to use two separate Shapers to do the machining one for the top and one for the belly. I warn anyone who starts working with these big router/shaper bits to use (extreme caution) as they spin at 20,000 rpm and can toss a wood splinter right thru a person. Using leather and safety shields are a must. John Mulliet is in his 70;s and shapes his 12 inchers on an open shaper. The bit that cuts those halves is over 2 inches across 1 " radius The biggest one Im using now is a 3/4 radius which is why I still have to sand. I believe that combining Johns machining skills with Rolfs finishing skills will be the way to get the best quality for the best price. John doesnt let anyone see his bits or shaper tables so its trial and error for me(lots of error). I would also like to find a way to inject premixed epoxy with some kind of large disposable syrynge. but alas the epoxy glues are so thick that cheap disposable syryinges are not able to push the glue out. Filling the hook hanger holes and ends where the wire enters the wood is still time consuming and messy. I might have to look to a steel syrynge that gets tossed in a bucket of thinner after use.clean up takes time though as well. Oh well Im rambling again. Kingfisher
dadson
Posted 1/7/2007 11:28 AM (#230514 - in reply to #201716)

Pikie,

I'm a student and I have 10 Wishmasters... priorities man!

HAHAHA
Grunt Lures
Posted 1/7/2007 11:53 AM (#230518 - in reply to #230508)

King,

$20 will buy you one of these stainless syringe models. Would allow you to hit it with a small amount of heat to lower the viscosity of your epoxy. I have used these types for high viscosities. I would think you coudl also use low viscosity epoxy resin for your internal work... Just a thought. The smaller syringes do come in high pressure models but, they do cost about $100-$150 from what I coudl find. Some require external syringe pumps. You can find those on eBay sometimes under medical supplies or analytical equipment.

James

(Large Ear.jpg)

(cr stainless.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments Large Ear.jpg (29KB - 241 downloads)
Attachments cr stainless.jpg (19KB - 262 downloads)
Pikiespawn
Posted 1/7/2007 5:50 PM (#230574 - in reply to #201716)

HR,
Yeah, i shouldn't cry....... I'll just sell my old explorer instead of trading it in and buy a couple wish's if i can beat you to the punch. Your my hero, but you already knew that.... AYYYYYYY........
Kingfisher
Posted 1/8/2007 1:22 PM (#230761 - in reply to #201716)

How are ya Johnny? You are exactly what I was saying earlier in the post. A guy who has the water close where owning those expensive lures is worth while. For the Guy stuck in Lower Michigan that gets one trip per year to Georgian Bay having 10 Wishmasters hanging on his wall for 11 months and three weeks per year the Plow starts looking real good at 45 bucks. My fear is if Drifter or Grandma lures starts making plastics in the 15 to 25 inch range. They have already stepped up into the 13/14 inch stuff. Kingfisher
dadson
Posted 1/8/2007 3:33 PM (#230810 - in reply to #201716)

King,

I've been great! It's a nice break not having to fish all the time

Expect bigger offerings from most companies as they continue to gain popularity. I don't see why a 49 lb MI state record wouldn't eat a Wishmaster?
Kingfisher
Posted 1/9/2007 12:59 AM (#230991 - in reply to #201716)

Problem was in that case the water was only 8 feet deep. Not much room in Thornapple for big baits. Its really just a widening of the river. We have some lakes to my north that see my big baits and also several have eaten my 12 inchers in the Detroit river. We have 50 lb fish here. I just caught my last fish for 2006 in 17 feet of water with a 13 inch Grandma. Had to use that lure because I had to troll rreal slow 2.1 mph. Fish was 47.5 with a 22.5 inch girth . About 30 lbs. It could have eaten a Wish no problem. I have to drive three hours to get to any Big water and its all very low density deep water without structure. You Know the drill , 5 to 6 days to contact one fish. Michelle and I caught 226 fish last year. All on small baits three over 50 inches. 51,52,52 all on St Clair. 7 inch Slasher was my best producer there. We might come up and visit you this year. We have several trips up your way planned. Kingfisher
Jump to page : 1 2 3 4
Now viewing page 2 [30 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)