Muskie Discussion Forums

Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Language | Blogs Search | Statistics | User Listing
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )
Moderators: Slamr

View previous thread :: View next thread
Jump to page : 1 2 3
Now viewing page 2 [30 messages per page]

Muskie Fishing -> General Discussion -> Winter

Message Subject: Winter
ToddM
Posted 10/18/2022 5:49 AM (#1013867 - in reply to #1013843)
Subject: Re: Winter

chasintails - 10/17/2022 12:06 PM

Does MI have a dedicated social media person keeping them relevant on social platforms? I haven't seen anything.

It's Steve. I see M.I. posts on FB all the time. They also do a good job of sharing club info from their pages.

Edited by ToddM 10/18/2022 5:50 AM
TCESOX
Posted 10/18/2022 6:39 AM (#1013868 - in reply to #1013857)

OH Musky - 10/17/2022 5:32 PM

sworrall - 10/16/2022 12:50 PM

Brian Hoffies - 10/16/2022 11:37 AM

I just wonder how these organizations will recruit new members in the upcoming years.

One of the effective Muskies Inc recruiting platforms is Facebook. One of my committee's efforts in the coming year will be to convince the Chapters to use social media to connect with, inform, and recruit new members.

I get that MI, their chapters, or any organization, for that matter, who is trying to recruit need to use social media. But they can't forget that some of us don't use FB, IG or any other site. I attended a MI chapter tournament on a local lake this past weekend. As we don't have a local chapter, I attended one from a state club located a few hours away. Other than the name of the lake, there was no info on their website or in the newsletter. Of course, i showed up at the wrong ramp where we've launched before. Ended up texting a couple officers to find out where I needed to be and made it with a few minutes to spare before the start. Was told "it's on FB" which I don't use. If an organization goes to 100% social media with no other information outlet, they can expect some to stop attending or caring.

A bit off topic about "Winter" but as things change, membership committee thinking needs to include everyone involved. I've yet to read the last two MH e-zines because I spend 10-11 hours a day on the computer at work and have almost no desire to sit for hours on this one at home. This site, one other fishing site and one truck site is all I look at for about 15 mins total a day. I'm over my time limit now so I'll end this post...

You took the words right out of my mouth. Almost word for word.
chasintails
Posted 10/18/2022 9:29 AM (#1013870 - in reply to #1013867)

ToddM - 10/18/2022 5:49 AM

chasintails - 10/17/2022 12:06 PM

Does MI have a dedicated social media person keeping them relevant on social platforms? I haven't seen anything.

It's Steve. I see M.I. posts on FB all the time. They also do a good job of sharing club info from their pages.

Ok thanks, don't have FB anymore but do look at Insta Gram from time to time, probably why I didn't see anything.
esoxaddict
Posted 10/18/2022 10:26 AM (#1013871 - in reply to #1013747)

It's a double edged sword. Social media will reach an audience far younger than the average muskie angler. That's the youth in "youth fisheries and research" We need them. They are the future of the sport. But when it comes to who has the money, the time, and the desire to really improve our fisheries it's NOT the young kids. They don't remember what the fishing was like before catch and release, before increased size limits, before the massive stocking efforts in MN, etc.

So how do you reach the young crowd and get them into the game? Social media. How do you keep from leaving us old farts behind who don't play the tweets and twits and twats game because they didn't even have a cell phone until they were 40?
ToddM
Posted 10/18/2022 8:28 PM (#1013887 - in reply to #1013871)

esoxaddict - 10/18/2022 10:26 AM

It's a double edged sword. Social media will reach an audience far younger than the average muskie angler. That's the youth in "youth fisheries and research" We need them. They are the future of the sport. But when it comes to who has the money, the time, and the desire to really improve our fisheries it's NOT the young kids. They don't remember what the fishing was like before catch and release, before increased size limits, before the massive stocking efforts in MN, etc.

So how do you reach the young crowd and get them into the game? Social media. How do you keep from leaving us old farts behind who don't play the tweets and twits and twats game because they didn't even have a cell phone until they were 40?

I.can understand tweets and twits but twats? You must be getting old.
tundrawalker00
Posted 10/18/2022 9:19 PM (#1013888 - in reply to #1013887)

... or British
North of 8
Posted 10/18/2022 9:24 PM (#1013889 - in reply to #1013887)

As a 70+ guy, I am a little confused about the idea older folks are not comfortable with tech. Yes, my adult children are more tech savvy than I but I first used a desk top computer at work back in the 1980s. By the 1990s, most folks either worked with computers or had one at home. The first ATMs went into use 50+ years ago but some folks still like to get cash from a teller, not a machine, but that is the exception not the norm.
Older fishermen may not be the social media users younger people are but they find their way here, don't they?
To me, anyone under age 60 saying they are not comfortable using tech to communicate is like someone in the 1940s lamenting they can't still plow and harvest with horses. Maybe join the Amish? (By the way, the Amish in Kingston used the ATM we had there, but unfortunately it was sometimes their horses that left a "deposit" in the lane by the drive up)

Edited by North of 8 10/18/2022 9:48 PM
RLSea
Posted 10/18/2022 9:47 PM (#1013891 - in reply to #1013889)

North of 8 - 10/18/2022 9:24 PM

As a 70+ guy, I am a little confused about the idea older folks are not comfortable with tech. Yes, my adult children are more tech savvy than I but I first used a desk top computer at work back in the 1980s. By the 1990s, most folks either worked with computers or had one at home. The first ATMs went into use 50+ years ago but some folks still like to get cash from a teller, not a machine, but that is the exception not the norm.
Older fishermen may not be the social media users younger people are but they find their way here, don't they?
To me, anyone under age 60 saying they are not comfortable using tech to communicate is like someone in the 1940s lamenting they can't still plow and harvest with horses. Maybe join the Amish?

I'm with you here. In my 70's but I was in computers early on - ever hear of a Commodore 64? More to the point, My kids and grandkids force me to text and use social media to communicate with them. It's an accommodation I'm happy to make.
North of 8
Posted 10/18/2022 10:01 PM (#1013892 - in reply to #1013891)

Just checked and what I remembered was right, that Commodore 64 is supposed to be the biggest selling single computer model of all time. Over 15 million. Never used one
but had friends that had them.
Brian Hoffies
Posted 10/18/2022 10:31 PM (#1013893 - in reply to #1013747)

I am the only guy on the planet with this tri-fecta.......
1) Never used a ATM.
2) Never used a debit card.
3) Never Facetimed.

Sometimes I wonder how I can even wake up in the morning.
chuckski
Posted 10/18/2022 11:38 PM (#1013894 - in reply to #1013747)

At 62 years of age I know what a Commodore 64 was, I've only facetimed once by mistake, I don't use a debit card (I use a credit card and pay it off in full) I use the ATM no reason to walk in the bank. I have a whole list of things I need to learn and do so never a dull moment. Can you teach a old dog a new trick? Time will tell.
RyanJoz
Posted 10/19/2022 3:31 AM (#1013896 - in reply to #1013868)

TCESOX - 10/18/2022 6:39 AM

OH Musky - 10/17/2022 5:32 PM

sworrall - 10/16/2022 12:50 PM

Brian Hoffies - 10/16/2022 11:37 AM

I just wonder how these organizations will recruit new members in the upcoming years.

One of the effective Muskies Inc recruiting platforms is Facebook. One of my committee's efforts in the coming year will be to convince the Chapters to use social media to connect with, inform, and recruit new members.

I get that MI, their chapters, or any organization, for that matter, who is trying to recruit need to use social media. But they can't forget that some of us don't use FB, IG or any other site. I attended a MI chapter tournament on a local lake this past weekend. As we don't have a local chapter, I attended one from a state club located a few hours away. Other than the name of the lake, there was no info on their website or in the newsletter. Of course, i showed up at the wrong ramp where we've launched before. Ended up texting a couple officers to find out where I needed to be and made it with a few minutes to spare before the start. Was told "it's on FB" which I don't use. If an organization goes to 100% social media with no other information outlet, they can expect some to stop attending or caring.

A bit off topic about "Winter" but as things change, membership committee thinking needs to include everyone involved. I've yet to read the last two MH e-zines because I spend 10-11 hours a day on the computer at work and have almost no desire to sit for hours on this one at home. This site, one other fishing site and one truck site is all I look at for about 15 mins total a day. I'm over my time limit now so I'll end this post...

You took the words right out of my mouth. Almost word for word.

X2. No more fb for me. It is irritating to me that it is an expectation to follow a fb page to know what is going on locally. IDNR and the local lake closures here are only listed on FB.
ToddM
Posted 10/19/2022 3:50 AM (#1013898 - in reply to #1013747)

I had a computer around 1990 that didn't have windows it had geoworks.

I am not opposed to technology. Last year I told an employer during an interview that I hope I learn something new the day that I die. I've watched way too many people become dinosaurs in life and in their career. Last thing I ever want to do.

Edited by ToddM 10/19/2022 3:53 AM
dickP
Posted 10/19/2022 5:51 AM (#1013899 - in reply to #1013747)

Brian Hoffies u are not alone on the tri fecta
North of 8
Posted 10/19/2022 7:37 AM (#1013903 - in reply to #1013899)

Surprised about the ATM part of that tri-fecta. More and more places are adding a surcharge for using a credit card. Picked up a new chain for my saw last week, made sure I stopped first at a Kwik Trip for cash, Stihl dealer adds a 4% surcharge for credit card.

The debit card I agree with. The only real purpose I can see is if you are an individual who can't control your spending, so credit cards are too much of a temptation. Better protection on purchases with a credit card, plus cash back, etc.

Facetime was something I really didn't have any interest in, but then we got our first grandchild during the pandemic, and he was 5 hours away. So yeah, I appreciated it.
North of 8
Posted 10/19/2022 7:39 AM (#1013904 - in reply to #1013899)

Edited by North of 8 10/19/2022 7:49 AM
Brian Hoffies
Posted 10/19/2022 8:42 AM (#1013905 - in reply to #1013903)

North of 8 - 10/19/2022 7:37 AM

Surprised about the ATM part of that tri-fecta. More and more places are adding a surcharge for using a credit card. Picked up a new chain for my saw last week, made sure I stopped first at a Kwik Trip for cash, Stihl dealer adds a 4% surcharge for credit card.

The debit card I agree with. The only real purpose I can see is if you are an individual who can't control your spending, so credit cards are too much of a temptation. Better protection on purchases with a credit card, plus cash back, etc.

Facetime was something I really didn't have any interest in, but then we got our first grandchild during the pandemic, and he was 5 hours away. So yeah, I appreciated it.

Deep, deep in my heart I 100% believe credit cards are driven by the financial institutions and the government. The government wants to be able to tax every penny a person has. The financial institutions want to tap every dollar you earn as many times as they can. Once they eliminate cash altogether they will have won.

North, I know you were a banker but you will never change my mind on this.
North of 8
Posted 10/19/2022 9:53 AM (#1013908 - in reply to #1013905)

Brian Hoffies - 10/19/2022 8:42 AM

North of 8 - 10/19/2022 7:37 AM

Deep, deep in my heart I 100% believe credit cards are driven by the financial institutions and the government. The government wants to be able to tax every penny a person has. The financial institutions want to tap every dollar you earn as many times as they can. Once they eliminate cash altogether they will have won.

North, I know you were a banker but you will never change my mind on this.
LOL, not going to try but why don't you use ATMs to get cash?
Brian Hoffies
Posted 10/19/2022 10:22 AM (#1013911 - in reply to #1013747)

I'm still physically able to walk into the bank and I'm not scared of people. (tellers) Pretty sure those tellers have families and bills to pay. I believe shopping on-line (Amazon) and using ATM's ect. hurts the local employment and economy. When you eliminate jobs you eliminate taxes so it tickles down and hurts everybody. But, I'm just a old guy set in my ways.
sworrall
Posted 10/19/2022 10:28 AM (#1013912 - in reply to #1013871)

esoxaddict - 10/18/2022 10:26 AM

This is a common misconception. I target specific age groups and demographics and they are basically the only ones who see the MI ads to draw them in. I can decide who sees any ads or promotions and who doesn't. Ad sets are designed to resonate with each age group. The page has grown like a weed for a couple years now, and we're spending a tiny amount of money. Distribution across age groups is exactly how the ads were targeted.

Chapter websites are a big issue. A few are well managed, but many have no active webmaster and are not updated as often as would be effective. Some are so old they are flat broken. It's being addressed but is a chapter-to-chapter issue. Te National website is always a work in progress, but everything you would want to know about MI is there.

A monthly newsletter is emailed out to every chapter for distribution to members. If you are not seeing the newsletter, ask your Chapter president to send you a copy.

We've had a post on top of the general messageboard for a long time asking folks here to participate. Join up! It costs about what a bait does these days, hardly a deal breaker to participate in the conservation of the sport, youth recruiting, and research.

The data below is for 30 days of activity.

Zoom - | Zoom 100% | Zoom + | Expand / Contract | Open New window
Click to expand / contract the width of this image
(Untitledvv.jpg)

(Untitledx.jpg)

(Untitled.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments Untitledvv.jpg (78KB - 53 downloads)
Attachments Untitledx.jpg (54KB - 51 downloads)
Attachments Untitled.jpg (88KB - 53 downloads)
ghoti
Posted 10/19/2022 11:18 AM (#1013914 - in reply to #1013893)

Brian Hoffies - 10/18/2022 10:31 PM

I am the only guy on the planet with this tri-fecta.......
1) Never used a ATM.
2) Never used a debit card.
3) Never Facetimed.

Sometimes I wonder how I can even wake up in the morning.

Add me to your tri- fecta

North of 8
Posted 10/19/2022 11:25 AM (#1013916 - in reply to #1013914)

That is really interesting Steve. That targeting of specific groups at very low cost is probably what cost print magazines a lot of advertisers.
Brian Hoffies
Posted 10/19/2022 11:33 AM (#1013917 - in reply to #1013747)

There are more annoying things in life than pop up targeted ads, although there aren't many.
sworrall
Posted 10/19/2022 11:49 AM (#1013918 - in reply to #1013916)

North of 8 - 10/19/2022 11:25 AM

That is really interesting Steve. That targeting of specific groups at very low cost is probably what cost print magazines a lot of advertisers.

Exactly. The client can know who saw the ad, how many people it was served to, and what each person engaging with the ad did. At pennies per engagement, it's effective and reasonably priced.
ToddM
Posted 10/19/2022 4:58 PM (#1013924 - in reply to #1013747)

I pay for everything with a.credit card and pay it off every month. I do have a debit card but I only use it when I have to have cash or a store that doesn't take credit like woodman's.

Steve is correct about the club websites. It's very hard for clubs to find someone who has the knowledge to be webmaster. We are one of the bigger clubs and our website until the very recent launch of our new one was broken and unused for years. We had a message board and I was unable to post anything on it for 8 years. Everyone else had similar issues so it died. Those who were responsible for it fought to keep it rather than getting a new one. We are still without a webmaster going into the new website. Getting younger people into the club to contribute anything or even participate is a huge challenge. What they don't realize is M.I. is a great vehicle to organize funding for musky related projects with structure and accountability. You will not have that trying to organize anything on social media. Just trust that the funding goes where it's supposed to and they follow through.
tundrawalker00
Posted 10/19/2022 5:19 PM (#1013925 - in reply to #1013924)

I have been told since the Atari 2600 that I had too much screen time. We had an Apple IIe, where I learned enough BASIC to make money tutoring it in college. Compuserve 1996, Facebook since mid-2000s. It's apparent to me that FB has jumped the shark. It barely survived the 2020 election and won't survive the 2024 election. The divisive, insistent political types wrecked it -- both sides. And now I see they aren't letting you "snooze" or unfollow people anymore. Good luck with that in an election month.
TCESOX
Posted 10/19/2022 6:56 PM (#1013929 - in reply to #1013747)

I think it's great to reach out to people in new ways, to better reach certain demographics. As long as those new ways aren't the only way you are reaching out. There are a variety of reasons people may not participate in a particular form of social, or any other kind, of media. For me, this board is the only form of "social media" that I participate in. While there might be some features of things like Facebook that might be enjoyable, I haven't heard one good thing about the company that runs it. Not someone I'm going to sign up with. It's one thing to simply visit a site to gain information, it's a whole other thing to sign up to participate in something. If something is only available to people who are signed up on a platform, then they are saying to me, that they aren't interested in my business or interest.

I fully admit I'm an old fogy. I love to read the actual paper version of a newspaper. But not all us old fogies who eschew much of the modern communication methods, are technophobes or don't know how it works. I work on a computer all day, every day, at work, and the last thing I want to do in my off time, is spend more screen time. I know how all this new technology works. I've been following technology for over 30 years. I just don't find a lot of the popular uses, very useful. Lots of bright shiny things without a lot of substance. Kind of like me with muskie baits. I love pretty colors and cool paint jobs. Probably doesn't do anything to actually help me catch fish.
North of 8
Posted 10/19/2022 7:05 PM (#1013930 - in reply to #1013929)

Something that grinds me about merchants in my area who not only charge 3-4% fee for using a credit card, they want to do the same for a debit card. Unlike the per use fee for credit cards, most debit card processors charge a relatively small monthly fee for debit card processing. Not all merchants do this, but I think some are pushing for pure cash transactions, not because of processing fees, but because cash sales make for easier tax dodge.
Brian Hoffies
Posted 10/19/2022 8:55 PM (#1013936 - in reply to #1013747)

Any merchant who is doing any decent volume of credit cards pays 1.7% for fee's. If they pay more it's on them. For larger volume retailers it's actually a profit point.
chuckski
Posted 10/19/2022 9:04 PM (#1013937 - in reply to #1013747)

I've noticed as of late gas stations having different prices for cash and card. As far as social media I do have a Facebook account but never post anything and last week was my birthday and not one person wished me happy birthday but at my age that's a good thing! And I also like to spread out a real newspaper with my coffee. And I cheek the obits in a few places to see who died.
Jump to page : 1 2 3
Now viewing page 2 [30 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)