Muskie Discussion Forums

Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Language | Blogs Search | Statistics | User Listing
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )
Moderators: Slamr

View previous thread :: View next thread
Jump to page : 1 2 3
Now viewing page 2 [30 messages per page]

Muskie Fishing -> General Discussion -> musky fishing in secular decline

Message Subject: musky fishing in secular decline
Pointerpride102
Posted 1/22/2016 7:25 PM (#800868 - in reply to #800866)
Subject: RE: musky fishing in secular decline

Zib - 1/22/2016 7:14 PM

dfkiii - 1/21/2016 5:51 PM
Zib - 1/21/2016 12:57 PM

Musky fishing in decline? I wish!If that were the case I wouldn't see more musky boats out every time I fish LSC.

That's because the host of the fishing show named the lake. ;-)

Which show? I know of at least 8 different fishing shows that filmed musky segments on LSC all within the last 5 years. I remember when Musky Hunter did one of their first shows on LSC, Mike Hulbert fished with Jim & they never mentioned the name of the lake. Bass Pro Shops also shot there before the Next Bite was on the air. Pete Mania & Keith K. shot a show on LSC & I don't remember them naming the lake. I think some of these shows purposely exposed LSC to either help relieve some of the pressure on other lakes or to just help sell their sponsor's baits (I vote for the later).

Woooosh.

(The sound of that joke going over your head)

Also, isn't the goal of most shows to sell sponsor's stuff?
ARmuskyaddict
Posted 1/23/2016 1:05 AM (#800890 - in reply to #800606)
Subject: Re: musky fishing in secular decline

Basementspeak should be a term here...

I must get the director's cut of these same shows Zib...
Ruddiger
Posted 1/23/2016 8:00 AM (#800897 - in reply to #800866)

Howdy,

Not only that, but the number of them that have the same shots on the same spot is maddening.

I love catching muskies, BUT, if it means being surrounded by other fisherman I'll pass. As much as I hate to say it, there seems to be a direct correlation between an increase in muskie fisherman and an increase in unpleasant encounters on and off the water. Arrogant, paranoid, rude, unfriendly, entitled and inconsiderate all come to mind. Obviously that does not describe the vast majority of them but, even in moderation it can seem like a heavy dose.

Speaking solely for myself, catching a lot of fish suddenly becomes less fun when you have a navigate a sea of headaches to do it (your mileage may vary). It actually makes me avoid the hot bite and focus on waters with a lot less people and, at times, less fish but more solitude and a lot less hassle.

Take care,

Ruddiger
Landry
Posted 1/23/2016 1:47 PM (#800924 - in reply to #800606)

I have noticed an increase in the number of annoying Muskie anglers but overall most are really good guys.
As I approach 50 I have forced myself to ignore the negatives and focus on the positives in life cause overall I have it pretty good - family, life and Muskie-wise.
susky musky 32
Posted 1/23/2016 4:06 PM (#800938 - in reply to #800606)

Good!!!!!!
Reef Hawg
Posted 1/27/2016 11:38 AM (#801504 - in reply to #800606)

Pressure has increased on most waters I fish. While I have followed hot bites all over WI/MN/Canada for the past 20 years, the local stuff is getting fished harder than it did in the early 90's as well. Does that mean the sport is growing? Can't answer that. I don't think one can use whati alone see, Musky show attendance, interest polls or lure sector sales as a barometer of interest. I rarely go to Musky shows anymore unless working for a vendor friend, and feel more connected to the Musky world than I ever have been. There was a time that I went to shows to find and purchase the newest tools of the trade. While still likely the best place to find deals and items not available at stores, nearly every one of those tools is available with the click of a mouse now. I definitely agree that fewer fathers/grandfathers are passing down the up north/musky fishing experience to their children, which is unfortunate. However, based on population growth and other media outlets, I'd argue that the numbers could be growing overall.

One tidbit: For the past 19 years, I've operated a Musky club(Consolidated Musky Club Inc.) that began in 1980 to resurrect a population of fish that was eliminated industrially a hundred years ago. Recently, we've had difficulty gaining younger members, largely because they have a different approach to connect socially in the Musky community. More younger guys seem to be starting leagues, tourney trails, social gatherings on their own, and that is their way of connecting. Some of these leagues and tournaments are donating good $$ back to clubs like the one I operate, which we turn directly into stocked fish each year. Personally/selfishly, I'd like to see the growth taper off or decline. From a business/stocking/fishery/voice for the health of sport mindset, I think we're in the peak of the good times right now.
BNelson
Posted 1/27/2016 11:52 AM (#801508 - in reply to #801504)

good points Jason... having spent a lot of time fishing locally, MN, and Canada as well as other destinations I think pressure ebbs and flows w the hot bite... look at Mille Lacs or Vemilion in their hay days compared to now... having fished MN quite a bit since about 2005....I personally think the pressure has gone down by traveling fishermen the last few yrs...why? LSC and GB taking off...those 2 bodies of water are attracting a lot more guys to head there than MN ...fine by me. I do see more local fishermen in MN than before, just like in Madison where I fish a lot, I see new guys every year...the pressure is nuts here... I don't see it slowing down...
ToddM
Posted 1/27/2016 12:32 PM (#801514 - in reply to #800606)

Lake Webster still produces fish but I have seen the launch completely empty on a prime weekend when in the day it was full by first light.
Lightning
Posted 1/30/2016 11:35 PM (#802143 - in reply to #800606)

Muskie fishing may be in a slight decline. I think people are just too busy and many don't have the money to do it. A new 18-20ft boat,  many are some big dollars.  There are also so many choices for hobbies. 

I am still fishing but all the extra stuff I have been skipping ,just to much going on. The Muskie show the last 3 years I skipped while being 30 minute ride from it in Chicago. I quit Muskies inc. I can't attend the meetings most months because of work. I have a friend that loves fishing but has no interest in Muskie. He fishes bass and bass is a lot more sexy of a sport. Tons of big $$ tournaments. Tv shows galore. 

Right now my priority is that i am teaching my son to fish but he's a 3 yr old so we are fishing panfish and bass because he wants to see a fish. so far he loves it. Hopefully a future Muskie angler. Maybe mhe'll have more open water to himself if it's in a decline.  I am guessing he'll see less fishermen but more pleasure boaters and jetskiers. There seem to be more of those every year. 

sworrall
Posted 1/31/2016 8:08 AM (#802149 - in reply to #800606)

Muskie fishing is not in anything near a decline. Folks we work with who have pretty powerful marketing departments keep careful track, and muskie, crappie, and catfish are growing.
RandalB
Posted 1/31/2016 9:15 AM (#802159 - in reply to #801514)

ToddM - 1/27/2016 12:32 PM

Lake Webster still produces fish but I have seen the launch completely empty on a prime weekend when in the day it was full by first light.

No fish in Webster anymore Todd....

Wink Wink
bbeaupre
Posted 2/1/2016 1:03 PM (#802355 - in reply to #800606)

Although irrelevant I have Found your issue with the google search, it is the "fishing" part that is in decline.

I fish Green Bay almost exclusively and since I began fishing muskies there, almost 15 years now there has been a huge increase in number. There are multiple boat launches that didn't even exist when I started now they are full on opening day/throughout fall. I guess this speaks for the success for the fishery, certainly not the ambiance.

Edited by bbeaupre 2/1/2016 1:07 PM
horsehunter
Posted 2/1/2016 2:32 PM (#802380 - in reply to #800606)

I've noticed over the 35 years I have fished one small lake you see people come and fish very frequently at least 3 times a week for about 2 years and then seem to vanish.

I'm guessing some don't achieve the success they desire and give up
Some achieve some degree of success and move on to golf or other things
Some achieve some degree of success and move on to bigger water
Some achieve some degree of success and get married and have young families that occupy their time

Over the years the lake has gotten busier and busier with no shortage of replacements for the ones that leave.

Today the equipment and information is so much more readily available than when I started . I think the learning curve is now much shorter and I definitely don't think musky fishing is in decline at least (unfortunately for selfish old me) where I live.
Booch
Posted 2/2/2016 1:38 PM (#802624 - in reply to #800606)

I think it peaked shortly after the invention of the Double Cowgirl!

There are two types of musky fisherman: Those that do it year after year, and those that do it because it looked like fun in a magazine article or TV show, or someone convinced them to try it. Most of the latter type don't stick with it, thankfully.

There probably is a decline since 2004, but we are still adjusting to the massive influx of fisherman over the last 10 years due to the commercialization and exploitation of it, so it would be hard to tell.
timhutson1
Posted 2/2/2016 5:48 PM (#802702 - in reply to #802149)

I believe what Steve says about this topic. If the marketers are saying it is increasing they are probably not far off. I only got into musky about 4 years ago and I am not stopping anytime soon. I wouldn't mind if it slows down a bit more on my waters though.
sworrall
Posted 2/2/2016 6:10 PM (#802709 - in reply to #802624)

Booch - 2/2/2016 1:38 PM

I think it peaked shortly after the invention of the Double Cowgirl!

There are two types of musky fisherman: Those that do it year after year, and those that do it because it looked like fun in a magazine article or TV show, or someone convinced them to try it. Most of the latter type don't stick with it, thankfully.

There probably is a decline since 2004, but we are still adjusting to the massive influx of fisherman over the last 10 years due to the commercialization and exploitation of it, so it would be hard to tell.

No, there is not, actually. Growth over the last two decades, and targeted by many manufacturer's marketing folks as a result.
sworrall
Posted 2/2/2016 6:24 PM (#802714 - in reply to #800606)

How many absolute unique visitors do you think MuskieFIRST acquired in 2015?
dfkiii
Posted 2/2/2016 7:09 PM (#802731 - in reply to #802714)

sworrall - 2/2/2016 6:24 PM

Out of curiosity, how is a "unique visitor" determined ? If I were to visit from home and then again from work as a guest with two different IP addresses, would it be counted as two visitors ?
sworrall
Posted 2/2/2016 7:09 PM (#802732 - in reply to #802731)

No.
Jeff78
Posted 2/2/2016 7:10 PM (#802733 - in reply to #802732)

How many?
Fishen-ski's
Posted 2/2/2016 8:19 PM (#802747 - in reply to #800606)

Living in Illinois....forced to fish mostly the Fox Chain. Very busy out there
& seems to me almost every fishing boat is throwing for ski's. Seems like
more every year as well. Don't think it's in decline at all.
IAJustin
Posted 2/3/2016 9:05 AM (#802798 - in reply to #800606)

Decline since 2004? ..I can guarantee the number of muskie angler's in Iowa has more than tripled in Iowa since 2004. Heck I've introduced dozen's
Flambeauski
Posted 2/3/2016 10:22 AM (#802815 - in reply to #802714)

sworrall - 2/2/2016 6:24 PM

I'm gonna guess 500,000.

Probably a lot more if you counted the guys with multiple personalities.
Junkman
Posted 2/3/2016 11:35 AM (#802826 - in reply to #800606)

As a wierdo who fished a dozen (or more) tournaments a year and hasn't won one since 2008, (ouch!) I clearly must not mind fishing in a crowd. It's still fun, I still catch fish, I'm still learning, I'm still making friends, and I'm old enough so you think I'm probably not cutting off your drift on purpose. I know where I can fish (and when) if I really want some water to myself...and so do you all. Life is short: go where you want and do what you want. I'm always with a bunch of boats and I'm fine....I think the musky life (as I practice it) is great. Turn the TV off, get off the net, get a divorce if you need to, but find a way to be happy with what you have...and don't let anybody tell you golf is relaxing--been there--done that--have the tee shirt.
sworrall
Posted 2/3/2016 11:36 AM (#802827 - in reply to #800606)

Close enough for these purposes. Multiple personalities are filtered out, they tend to use the came computers and telephones as their alter ego.Our growth continues at the same ratios it has been for a decade.
sworrall
Posted 2/3/2016 11:37 AM (#802828 - in reply to #800606)

Golf is maddening. I can hit a ball a mile, but it goes where it wants.
jonnysled
Posted 2/3/2016 12:11 PM (#802836 - in reply to #802828)

Golf sucks if you suck at it and is really relaxing if you can advance the ball consistently ... this is relative ... based on living on a course that is beautiful and other than a couple days a week is pretty much wide open and accessible by driving the cart from the driveway.
sworrall
Posted 2/3/2016 12:13 PM (#802838 - in reply to #800606)

I need lessons. And left handed clubs. And time.
jonnysled
Posted 2/3/2016 12:28 PM (#802843 - in reply to #802838)

There comes an age where fishing trumps golf. Golf ages down while fishing can continue to improve.
dfkiii
Posted 2/3/2016 12:40 PM (#802846 - in reply to #802827)

sworrall - 2/3/2016 11:36 AM

Close enough for these purposes. Multiple personalities are filtered out, they tend to use the came computers and telephones as their alter ego.Our growth continues at the same ratios it has been for a decade.

So unique by MAC address/UUID ? Good strategy, but it can also underestimate the user base.

Interesting stuff. Amazing that the growth is at a steady pace over a ten year period. Were there any notable spikes in any of the years ?
Jump to page : 1 2 3
Now viewing page 2 [30 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)