Muskie Discussion Forums

Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Language | Blogs Search | Statistics | User Listing
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )
Moderators: Slamr

View previous thread :: View next thread
Jump to page : 1 2 3 4
Now viewing page 2 [30 messages per page]

Muskie Fishing -> General Discussion -> Sharing information

Message Subject: Sharing information
Jeff78
Posted 1/11/2016 9:31 AM (#799024 - in reply to #798721)
Subject: Re: Sharing information

Let's see some of you ice fishing guys share your panny hot spots. You won't because the hordes will come in and fish it down to nothing. What is the difference between that and sharing your musky spots.
Muskiecrazy
Posted 1/11/2016 10:22 AM (#799037 - in reply to #798721)

Im one of those new guys you speak of. I just started Muskie fishing last summer. I can't even begin to tell you how fortunate I am that a member in my MI chapter was nice enough to take me under his wing and mentor me after I happened to strik up a conversation with him at the boat ramp. We didn't even know each other but he offered to take me out on his boat and I took him up on it. First time out with him he caught a ski and I learned how to handle and revive properly. He's no expert, but he's given me a solid foundation to build upon. We fish together allot now and he has no problems sharing what he knows or where to fish. I'm guessing he wouldn't give his spots away to just anyone but he would probably point you in the general direction as to where the fish may be if you looked kosher. I plan on doing the same thing once I become a seasoned Muskie hunter. I will pay it forward to a deserving fisherman. I've also made friends with another chapter member that is of the same skill level as me. We fish together and help each other out. One day soon we will catch our fist Muskie because others with more wisdom than us gave us some knowledge.

Remember, helping a guy out doesn't have to mean showing him your treasured spots. Helping us could mean showing us what lure to use or even how to use it if you see us fishing it wrong. Coulld mean pointing us in a general direction or telling us to find a weed bed next to a drop off. Us new guys who are serious about Muskie fishing are just thirsty for knowledge, anything you tell us is much appreciated.

Edited by Muskiecrazy 1/11/2016 10:27 AM
ARmuskyaddict
Posted 1/11/2016 10:52 AM (#799044 - in reply to #798721)

I agree with the whole "That spot existed before I was an egg in my momma" philosophy. I only fish Vermilion, except for southern waters with guides. I'll share patterns, what I am moving them on etc, but not spots. I try to fish secondary spots when I am fishing the east side alone. When I find active fish I work them because I am usually limited to calmer waters, so am limited in "spots". Luckily, I don't talk to many people when fishing alone, or I'm sure I would share more info. Also, some of my info comes from other guys, that I never share. Or the location of an unmapped shallow hump with tobacco cabbage 200 yards off an island... I need to get over there more...
esoxaddict
Posted 1/11/2016 11:18 AM (#799051 - in reply to #798721)

Some things are sacred. Sleeper lakes, oddball spots, a little hump in the middle of nowhere... I keep those quiet out of respect for the people who showed them to me in confidence. The lakes have been there and the spots have been there. I'm sure somebody has stumbled on them over the years. I'm sure the handful of people who live on those lakes know about them. But when you see one other boat all weekend? Yeah. We fished a lake today.
BNelson
Posted 1/11/2016 11:30 AM (#799053 - in reply to #798721)

share as much as you want, or as little...info should be a 2 way street and if it's not then I won't give any.... lots of spots and lakes see very little pressure... For A Reason! most guides don't share the little honey holes they fish, so why should the weekend warrior... no reason to come down on anyone for not sharing...or sharing..but if you do share, don't get ticked off if word gets out and you are playing bumper boats...
RandalB
Posted 1/11/2016 11:40 AM (#799055 - in reply to #799053)

I don't personally subscribe to the "Top Secret" school of muskie fishing. I'm more than happy to tell someone where I've moved fish (especially when I'm on my way to the ramp..). I won't give GPS coordinates, but I'm happy to tell folks to try a breakline or structure element. I've even approached other boats on my way out to give tips. I do however kind of evaluate the folks fishing. If they look like they know what they're doing and will know how to release, I'm more likely to share info.

Comes from the college years chasing the ladies I guess, even if I don't hook-up, I'm glad someone did.
The fish aren't going anywhere and neither am I, I'll catch 'em tomorrow or the next day (or that night as it gets dark).

Just my $0.02 for this winternet...
RandalB
Ben Olsen
Posted 1/11/2016 11:43 AM (#799057 - in reply to #798721)

The whole "fleas arguing over who owns the dog" thing is completely missing the point!! Some guys are talking spots and some are talking patterns. I don't think I own anything. I also didn't invent anything and it's certainly not "better" or "worse" for the sport if some of us selectively share or don't share info!! It's a simple undeniable fact that not all sharing is good and not all secrecy is bad! Not all advancement is based on piggy backing info...some advancement is born of sheer frustration and experimentation!
BNelson
Posted 1/11/2016 11:56 AM (#799058 - in reply to #799057)

I was chatting w/ Dick Pearson last summer about a spot on LOTW that was on his Muskies in the shield vid...huge lake right.... he said he pretty much doesn't fish it anymore because of the pressure that it now sees.. it is not really near any camps... so did the fishermen find it on their own or did it just get shared enough times over and over that all those guys now hit it... he said it doesn't hold nearly the big fish it use to.. why... pressure... so as Ben pointed out, not all sharing is good... it invariably will change the spot over time... just keep that in mind...

Edited by BNelson 1/11/2016 11:58 AM
Juhas
Posted 1/11/2016 4:05 PM (#799099 - in reply to #799058)

My 2cents, that anyone would care. I tend to .... never mind not worth the argument.
sworrall
Posted 1/11/2016 4:22 PM (#799102 - in reply to #799057)

Ben Olsen - 1/11/2016 11:43 AM

The whole "fleas arguing over who owns the dog" thing is completely missing the point!! Some guys are talking spots and some are talking patterns. I don't think I own anything. I also didn't invent anything and it's certainly not "better" or "worse" for the sport if some of us selectively share or don't share info!! It's a simple undeniable fact that not all sharing is good and not all secrecy is bad! Not all advancement is based on piggy backing info...some advancement is born of sheer frustration and experimentation!

The comment is for folks who argue over the fact they believe they have some sort of title to any one spot or area on any one lake, as in 'I don't give up MY spots'. The only time that happens is when there's no one else there when that person is, fueling the delusion. And 'spots' can and are fished differently than others... by a long shot...and by a very few.

THAT is the secret to keep.
Juhas
Posted 1/11/2016 4:42 PM (#799105 - in reply to #799102)

Hey I thought we are not supposed to be yelling in our posts;) I personally think the issue is not so much with sharing info as with the fact that some out there expect it and look to be handed the spots rather that do their own research. Isn't that part of the hunt??? I also personally believe that this "show me" attitude has been exponentially increased over the years by the internet, Go Pro and TV. Go Pro has allowed the average joe to become the next Badfish Outdoors or Musky Hunter proliferated all over Face Book where one tells two friends who tell two friends who tell two friends and so on. I also feel that TV personalities have the responsibility of teaching preservation of the resource rather than exploitation at the helm of their sponsors.
sworrall
Posted 1/11/2016 4:52 PM (#799106 - in reply to #798721)

What does this have to do with preservation of the resource? If you fish a spot and tell a couple friends who then tell a couple friends, is that exploiting the resource?

Same same.

We live in an instant info transfer world now. Adjust by unplugging if it annoys you, but on one hand scouring for information (and entertainment) while proclaiming one will never divulge any of same to anyone else is actually pretty funny.

One word is exclaiming. All caps is yelling. You will not have to wonder if I decide to yell, and I won't need caps to do it.

'Expect' it? I've yet to have anyone demand I mark a map. I've had literally hundreds send maps to me with my blessing, and I mark 'em accordingly. Sure, there's places I don't talk much about, but they're not 'my' spots, they are everyone's past, present, and future. Plenty of water to go around, and if it was all, pretty much every square inch, available on map chips, online maps, map books, etc., none would be secret and there would be more room on the waters getting 'hit' by the crowds because everyone would, by the claims here, spread waaaaay out.

Wait...
Juhas
Posted 1/11/2016 5:04 PM (#799109 - in reply to #799106)

Exactly!
ToddM
Posted 1/11/2016 6:47 PM (#799113 - in reply to #798721)

You are always going to have leaders and followers. Some people don't have the time or the qualities to become good fisherman. We will.always have those who will have to rely on others to catch fish. Whether it be the person who only fished the spots marked for them or the boat who follows the charter boats they will always exist. Chances are they didn't do as well.
sworrall
Posted 1/11/2016 6:51 PM (#799114 - in reply to #799024)

Jeff78 - 1/11/2016 9:31 AM

Let's see some of you ice fishing guys share your panny hot spots. You won't because the hordes will come in and fish it down to nothing. What is the difference between that and sharing your musky spots.

Hordes? That would be the most obvious difference.

And I do. I tell friends about a bite, and they respect it enough to not place a Craig's List ad about it.
Jeremy
Posted 1/11/2016 7:11 PM (#799117 - in reply to #798721)
Subject: RE: Sharing information

That was one of the coolest "rants" I've read to date ... if you can call it a rant.

Thanks Mudpuppy.
timhutson1
Posted 1/11/2016 9:45 PM (#799132 - in reply to #798721)
Subject: RE: Sharing information

This is one of the more more interesting conversations on the boards. I think both sides have a valid points.
Booch
Posted 1/11/2016 9:57 PM (#799134 - in reply to #798721)

There's a difference between sharing knowledge and sharing spots.

There's also a difference between the guy that wants a quick win or brags about the "big one" he caught with a guide, and the guy that really wants to appreciate this sport. One I enjoy talking to, the other probably isn't gonna get much more than a "good luck" out of me.
Mudpuppy
Posted 1/12/2016 1:37 PM (#799207 - in reply to #799134)

Well johnysled should we ever meet, I'll be sure to keep quiet as you will. Should be a real fun conversation.

Mudpuppy
beerforthemuskygods
Posted 1/12/2016 1:45 PM (#799209 - in reply to #798721)

Don't even get me started on duck hunting spots...
jonnysled
Posted 1/12/2016 1:53 PM (#799212 - in reply to #799209)

humps, points, saddles, edges, wind, current, weeds, rock ... with a map-chip, a sonar, down and side-imaging on a lake pretty good chance you can find all of them without asking.

if more people fished pike, perch, walleyes, gils and crappies you would learn even more about lakes ...

80% of the fish live in 20% of the water and eat 10% of the time ... that's the rule i go by and do my best to try to figure it out on more than one species and more than one season on more than one lake. it's fun ...

as for information on what lakes have fish ... if you can't find out then you simply are not trying. the dnr has tons of information and that along with the Navionics website and a cold winter should give you all you need to plan a full season of fishing including spots. i did the same thing on grouse and found more spots (and grouse) than i could imagine knowing what habitat they like, what food they like and then hitting the dnr maps and information along with all the state land maps, chips and logging information ... hunting and fishing are just that ... if you don't like to hunt for the information then you might not be a good hunter too.

Edited by jonnysled 1/12/2016 2:01 PM
jonnysled
Posted 1/12/2016 2:26 PM (#799219 - in reply to #799114)

ToddM - 1/12/2016 2:23 PM

Sled who makes the best crappie rod for double tens?

a guy who can find crappies consistently is a fisherman ... i can help you with smallies but ambush predators are easy compared to schooling fish.
BNelson
Posted 1/12/2016 2:39 PM (#799223 - in reply to #798721)

pressure changes lakes, it changes spots, it changes things...anyone that doesn't think that is kidding themselves...if you have a great spot, that might not get hit all that much... the best way to ruin it is to tell a bunch of guys!
Brett Waldera
Posted 1/12/2016 3:42 PM (#799239 - in reply to #798721)

I give people "areas" more than spots...if you are a decent angler it will not take you long to figure out the spot in the area. Do you really want to be spoon fed the coordinates and pattern so you just go cast and reel one in...I guess I don't! Give me an area or some information and I will do the same. I know a good angler who I gave some areas to try that still says to me...Your spots you marked are huge! LOL! YEP...I fish big spots!
vegas492
Posted 1/12/2016 4:01 PM (#799244 - in reply to #798721)

SLED, love the crappies. Always have. Love finding them, love catching them, love eating a couple too. My second favorite fish behind walleye. Musky is third.

If you have any lakes in Vilas to share with a good crappie bite, PM me and I'll hit yah back.

dfkiii
Posted 1/12/2016 4:04 PM (#799246 - in reply to #798721)

If sharing fishing spots is your de rigueur of the day, sign up for Fishiddy and share away. There are plenty of folks there who also like to share info. Caveat emptor !
esoxaddict
Posted 1/12/2016 4:31 PM (#799251 - in reply to #799246)

Spot hype...

If you have a "good" spot and you don't know when to fish it or how to fish it or what time of the year to fish it, and why the fish are there, is it still a good spot? Or is it just a dot on a map where you caught a fish once?
Pointerpride102
Posted 1/12/2016 4:42 PM (#799253 - in reply to #799239)

Brett Waldera - 1/12/2016 3:42 PM

I give people "areas" more than spots...if you are a decent angler it will not take you long to figure out the spot in the area. Do you really want to be spoon fed the coordinates and pattern so you just go cast and reel one in...I guess I don't! Give me an area or some information and I will do the same. I know a good angler who I gave some areas to try that still says to me...Your spots you marked are huge! LOL! YEP...I fish big spots! ;)

This is definitely a good practice, and one I've been fortunate to benefit from Brett on. We talked about some local lakes, he told me he was seeing fish in certain depth ranges, and sent me on the way. Caught a few fish on the info, and learned more about the lake and other areas as opposed to driving to a coordinate and start flinging.
Jeremy
Posted 1/12/2016 7:46 PM (#799293 - in reply to #799219)

jonnysled - 1/12/2016 2:26 PM

ToddM - 1/12/2016 2:23 PM

Sled who makes the best crappie rod for double tens?

a guy who can find crappies consistently is a fisherman ... i can help you with smallies but ambush predators are easy compared to schooling fish.

I've always said that if you find a guy who's a good crappie fisherman (thinking mainly the "V" here but it applies elsewhere - just not as "loudly") then you pay attention if you hear him chatting at the dock!

I ran into one such gent on our vacation some years back, on Vermilion...and gave him wide berth but would've LOVED to know how he did it and where he went. I knew enough not to even hint...

Good guy. Crappie fishermen are a different breed and I can't bring myself to the point where I can say I know how they do it.

He didn't always connect but enough times.
sworrall
Posted 1/12/2016 8:26 PM (#799298 - in reply to #799293)

The Big V offers some very nice crappies...big gills, too. Love me some silver, especially the good ones. Got a couple over 16" in August there, released those, just seemed wrong to put a knife to a crappie like that.

And showed a couple folks on the outing exactly where to go get them some. They were respectful of the spots, and were very, very happy. Made my trip.

Zoom - | Zoom 100% | Zoom + | Expand / Contract | Open New window
Click to expand / contract the width of this image
(DSCF6500n.jpg)

Zoom - | Zoom 100% | Zoom + | Expand / Contract | Open New window
Click to expand / contract the width of this image
(DSCF6527zx.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments DSCF6500n.jpg (192KB - 304 downloads)
Attachments DSCF6527zx.jpg (172KB - 300 downloads)
Jump to page : 1 2 3 4
Now viewing page 2 [30 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)