Muskie Discussion Forums

Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Language | Blogs Search | Statistics | User Listing
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )
Moderators: Slamr

View previous thread :: View next thread
Jump to page : 1 2 3 4
Now viewing page 2 [30 messages per page]

Muskie Fishing -> Lures,Tackle, and Equipment -> Revo Toro Beast Preview: A Revolution in Large Bait Casting

Message Subject: Revo Toro Beast Preview: A Revolution in Large Bait Casting
curleytail
Posted 9/11/2015 2:28 PM (#784126 - in reply to #781042)
Subject: Re: Revo Toro Beast Preview: A Revolution in Large Bait Casting

Seems like I read this somewhere, but can't find it now.

Have there been any changes to the gearing or other factors in the Toro S and Beast series (from the Revo Toro NACL's) in regards to durability with hard pulling baits?

Most of us have probably experienced a reel that is used for double 10's getting rougher and rougher over time till they start to sound and feel like a coffee grinder from continued use of hard pulling baits. Higher gear ratio reels are sometimes worse with this than lower gear ratios.

I don't own one, but from what I understand, the huge gears in the Tranx offer a lot of durability. Most guys seem to be buying them for use with hard pulling baits, and there are very few reports of durability issues.

Has Abu Garcia increased the gear sizes, or taken other steps to increase the durability? Is the common thought that the high speed Toro Beast will stand up to hard cranking with large double bladed bucktails with no durability problems?

Has anybody received a Toro Beast or S yet, or have one on order?

Tucker
RyanJoz
Posted 9/11/2015 7:54 PM (#784159 - in reply to #781042)

I got 3 of them in the mail today. I will have one apart this weekend next to a NaCl to show the difference in the gears.
fishhawk50
Posted 9/11/2015 8:16 PM (#784161 - in reply to #781042)

bought an S today at smokies on pewaukee.. they had a dozen new beasts there as well.
timhutson1
Posted 9/12/2015 7:26 AM (#784177 - in reply to #784159)

Throw some double 10's and give us a report. I would be really interested in an assessment of each gear ratio with the 10's if you have both versions.
cave run legend
Posted 9/12/2015 8:35 AM (#784182 - in reply to #784177)

I am holding off on purchasing a toro beast hs. I feel like it's going to take a lot of effort to pull 10's and only getting around 34" IPC. I don't want to buy the low geared one and effortlessly crank 10's in only getting 26 or 27 IPC either. The toro s seems like a happy medium between the 2 beast for a lot less.
btfish
Posted 9/12/2015 9:05 AM (#784185 - in reply to #784182)

I would agree, it is hard to determine right now which reel to go with for throwing 10s and one would have to think Abu Garcia came out with these reels to specifically compete with the Tranx which like it or not has become the bench mark for throwing 10s.

The Tranx PG seems to be the most popular for 10s and for you guys using the HG, wow, I will not mess with you.......

I personally use the Tranx PG and will admit it is big and a bear to use, however the more I use it the better I seem too do with it to the point I am using it 95% of the time and no nothing compares to it.

The PG brings in 30 IPT, the Revo S brings in 29 IPT so it is very close and at $250 not bad. However the HS BEAST brings in 34 IPT, comes with 3 handles, 3 more bearings (which isn't a big deal) but also has a better drag and both magnetic and centrifugal casting control, and a few other improvements that may not matter much. The S only has the magnetic casting control and casting 10s into the wind can be an issue with some reels?

It is great that both reels are offered in left handed models which my son needs. I am really on the fence?? If I get him the S, the IPT should be good but I may have to upgrade the handle?? If I get him the Beast in HS, we could always reduce the amount of line on the reel which will reduce the IPT and also add more power? But the Beast is $400, but then he would have in my opinion the Cadillac that should last him a very long time. The worst thing that would happen is I would have to purchase new gears like in the S.

I did contact Abu Garcia an asked if a Beast could be ordered with same gear as the S and the answer was no.

I suppose it matters how much money you have and how much you will use it? So for the casual user and those on a budget the S will probable be great. But we are more of what I would call diehards and honestly money is not an issue for me at this point in my life which is why I am considering the Beast.

So please for those of you who have these reels, please go throw some 10s as that is what we all want to know. And if anyone has both the Beast HS and S please give us a comparison.

Good Luck too
johndtuttle
Posted 9/12/2015 11:45 AM (#784197 - in reply to #784126)

curleytail - 9/11/2015 12:28 PM

Seems like I read this somewhere, but can't find it now.

Have there been any changes to the gearing or other factors in the Toro S and Beast series (from the Revo Toro NACL's) in regards to durability with hard pulling baits?

Most of us have probably experienced a reel that is used for double 10's getting rougher and rougher over time till they start to sound and feel like a coffee grinder from continued use of hard pulling baits. Higher gear ratio reels are sometimes worse with this than lower gear ratios.

I don't own one, but from what I understand, the huge gears in the Tranx offer a lot of durability. Most guys seem to be buying them for use with hard pulling baits, and there are very few reports of durability issues.

Has Abu Garcia increased the gear sizes, or taken other steps to increase the durability? Is the common thought that the high speed Toro Beast will stand up to hard cranking with large double bladed bucktails with no durability problems?

Has anybody received a Toro Beast or S yet, or have one on order?

Tucker

The Toro Beast/S use a massively larger main gear and pinion as compared to the NaCl. The larger size in conjunction with the modest gear ratios has grown both the thickness of the teeth and also the thickness of the body of the gear (important for rigidity).

1. I chose the image below of the Revo Beast low gear model (even though the spring is a bit in the way) because it shows the teeth in the Main well, but also note the thickness in the body of the Pinion.

2. The second image is of an NaCl HS. Note how much thinner the body of the Pinion is and the Main is substantially smaller, by maybe 20% in diameter.

Net result: The gears in the Toro Beast/S are substantially tougher than previous.

Zoom - | Zoom 100% | Zoom + | Expand / Contract | Open New window
Click to expand / contract the width of this image
(P1030316.JPG)

(P1020529_zpsda6c55f9.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments P1030316.JPG (155KB - 531 downloads)
Attachments P1020529_zpsda6c55f9.jpg (178KB - 612 downloads)
Travis A.
Posted 9/12/2015 1:35 PM (#784208 - in reply to #781042)

I have a HS Beast and a Toro S 60 ordered. They just made it from FedEx to the post office so hoping will get then Monday but probably Tuesday or Wednesday. The HS Beast is going on a XXH Predator for line pickup for big rubber and the Toro S 60 is going on the Nasty for 10s. I'll throw some 10s with the Beast and report back how it does conpared to the Toro S. And also conpared to my uncles Tranx PG that I used the other weekend. The reason I went with the Abus over a Tranx is that even if they take a little more effort to crank I'd rather put the workload on the muscles in my right arm than the ligaments and joints in my left wrist which I injured in the past. Also my NACL casts way better than the Tranx so the only thing for me that was nice about the Tranx was the retrieve. My cousin uses the Tranx and loves it but he's also 6'8" and could probably use a Makaira and be fine.
fishhawk50
Posted 9/12/2015 4:03 PM (#784217 - in reply to #784177)

timhutson1 - 9/12/2015 7:26 AM

Throw some double 10's and give us a report. I would be really interested in an assessment of each gear ratio with the 10's if you have both versions.

only bought the S in the 5:3.1 i will be trying it out tomorrow.
RyanJoz
Posted 9/12/2015 4:43 PM (#784220 - in reply to #784208)

The 4.9 pulled 10's and Ernies with less resistance on the crank than a PG. I measured the line pickup on my beast at 28-7/8". The spool is as full as it can get without the line hitting the frame.
btfish
Posted 9/12/2015 5:02 PM (#784221 - in reply to #784220)

Did you by chance measure the actual IPT on your 4.9?
RyanJoz
Posted 9/12/2015 5:37 PM (#784224 - in reply to #784221)

btfish - 9/12/2015 5:02 PM

Did you by chance measure the actual IPT on your 4.9?

28-7/8" with a full spool. I fill them to the top of the shoulder.

All 3 of them I bought are the 4.9
btfish
Posted 9/12/2015 5:44 PM (#784225 - in reply to #784224)

Thanks

That's is pretty good. I obviously miss read your first post (need to wear those glasses). I wonder why the Abu Garcia lists the 4.9 in the 60 as bring in only 24IPT? 28 7/8 with the 4.9 isn't bad.

Thanks
johndtuttle
Posted 9/12/2015 6:00 PM (#784230 - in reply to #784225)

btfish - 9/12/2015 3:44 PM

Thanks

That's is pretty good. I obviously miss read your first post (need to wear those glasses). I wonder why the Abu Garcia lists the 4.9 in the 60 as bring in only 24IPT? 28 7/8 with the 4.9 isn't bad.

Thanks

If I recall correctly they rate them (conservatively) based on a 2/3's filled spool (what you might have after a long cast) so as to not mislead.
tswoboda
Posted 9/12/2015 6:19 PM (#784232 - in reply to #784225)

btfish - 9/12/2015 5:44 PM Thanks That's is pretty good. I obviously miss read your first post (need to wear those glasses). I wonder why the Abu Garcia lists the 4.9 in the 60 as bring in only 24IPT? 28 7/8 with the 4.9 isn't bad. Thanks

4.9 in the 60 is rated for 27 ipt.

(Screenshot_2015-09-12-18-17-52.png)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments Screenshot_2015-09-12-18-17-52.png (52KB - 534 downloads)
BenR
Posted 9/12/2015 11:46 PM (#784249 - in reply to #781042)

3-4 inches less per turn with a smaller spool than the PG. Sounds about right, they serve different purposes, you are not going to get a beast to do what a PG does and the beast is going to serve roles a PG won't. Just different applications.
btfish
Posted 9/13/2015 5:10 AM (#784251 - in reply to #784249)

Sorry for my confusion guys. I had some of the best eye sight in the world most of my life so wearing reading glasses is not something that comes naturally for me but something I MUST do more. You guys are correct.

The beast in the 50 with 4.9 gears is 24 IPT, the 60 in 4.9 is 27 IPT.
The beast in the 50 with 6.2 gears is 31 IPT, the 60 in 6.2 is 34 IPT.

The S in the 60 with 5.3 is 29 IPT.

I know the Tranx PG is listed at 30 IPT but now I am wondering what mine actually is?? I think I need to go measure it.

I really think Abu Garcia has hit a home run with this new line up of reels and has provided enough options to make us all happy. My problem is figuring out which combination will work the best for my son.

I really look forward to more actual feedback from the guys who have these reels.

Have a good day everyone
timhutson1
Posted 9/13/2015 7:50 AM (#784253 - in reply to #784251)

btfish - 9/13/2015 5:10 AM

Sorry for my confusion guys. I had some of the best eye sight in the world most of my life so wearing reading glasses is not something that comes naturally for me but something I MUST do more. You guys are correct.

Definately, and make sure to get pictures of your fish on the bumpboard for now; .
cave run legend
Posted 9/13/2015 10:58 AM (#784260 - in reply to #781042)

So take into consideration the size of spool on tranx pg/700te vs beast. At end of a long cast the beast 4.9 will give around 27ipc going by tuttle said they measure ipt 2/3 full. With the large shimano spools will they still be closer to around 30" after a long cast?
BenR
Posted 9/13/2015 11:39 AM (#784266 - in reply to #781042)

I am going to pick up the 4.9 and have a PG as well. should cover everything:-) Great time to be a muskie person. We have never had it better.
achotrod
Posted 9/13/2015 4:50 PM (#784316 - in reply to #781042)

Just got my 4.9 and HS 60s today. Spooling them up right now.
achotrod
Posted 9/13/2015 6:52 PM (#784323 - in reply to #781042)

Wow both pull 10s with ease and the HS can bulge them no prob.
achotrod
Posted 9/13/2015 7:47 PM (#784330 - in reply to #781042)

Not bulge but blow them out the 4.9 can create a wake with ease. It is no comparison to the nacls witch I loved. The 4.9 is like butter with 10s and will come to the surface with out much effort. The HS will blow 10s out without much effort. TThat's with the stock paddle handle. Which BTW is about a ยน/4 longer then the nacl.
fishhawk50
Posted 9/13/2015 9:05 PM (#784338 - in reply to #781042)

gave the Toro S a good workout today after Packer game... pulls 8's, 10's, 12's like a trout spinner! I will be buying another!
Fits the hand just right. Smooth casting. Easy drag adjustment. Highly recommend this reel!
Propster
Posted 9/13/2015 11:28 PM (#784350 - in reply to #781042)

12's like a trout spinner ... Good one!
ToothTamer
Posted 9/14/2015 12:45 AM (#784352 - in reply to #781042)

Might have to grab a 6.2 for rubbers danmit there goes some loot
Jimmywho
Posted 11/3/2015 3:04 PM (#791249 - in reply to #781042)
Subject: RE: Revo Toro Beast Preview: A Revolution in Large Bait Casting

I've just bought one of these revo toro beasts as an upgrade from my old Abu 6500c3.

I'm a bit confused about all the adjustments to the brake, there was no manual in the box. I understand how to use the spool tension knob as I've got the same setup on the old reel, but I'm not sure how to use the brake adjustment dial.
Also do I need to remove the palm side plate to adjust the brake pins?

If I'm changing from a 5oz lure to a 2oz, what would I adjust other then the spool tension knob?

Hope you can provide some clarity, cheers
achotrod
Posted 11/3/2015 4:51 PM (#791260 - in reply to #781042)

Yes you need to remove the side plate to adjust the pins. The dial is for fine tuning and doesnt do much on its own IMO. I set 3 pins in and 3 out and leave the dial on 0. You can still bomb little 1.5oz baits and heavy stuff into the wind without cranking down the spool tension knob and not worry about backlashes, the less braking you use the more you have to pay attention to thumbing the spool.
johndtuttle
Posted 11/4/2015 1:21 AM (#791282 - in reply to #791249)

Jimmywho - 11/3/2015 1:04 PM

I've just bought one of these revo toro beasts as an upgrade from my old Abu 6500c3.

I'm a bit confused about all the adjustments to the brake, there was no manual in the box. I understand how to use the spool tension knob as I've got the same setup on the old reel, but I'm not sure how to use the brake adjustment dial.
Also do I need to remove the palm side plate to adjust the brake pins?

If I'm changing from a 5oz lure to a 2oz, what would I adjust other then the spool tension knob?

Hope you can provide some clarity, cheers

The "centrifugal" brakes (pins) on the spool are your first adjustment. Generally add pins until all 6 are being used if required. The side cover comes off very easily, the thumb screw is spring loaded to keep the plate on even if the screw is loose so you have to pop it out the last bit. Twist the side plate clockwise to get it off.

Then you have the mag brakes that are adjusted with the outside dial on the face of the side cover. Add as needed to get control by turning counter clockwise for more braking.

If these are not enough, then the spool tension knob is your last option. Normally I have it set so there is no spool tension, but if you need to, set it by just tightening enough to slow the drop of the lure when the thumb button is depressed (reel out of gear) and add as needed. This uses a brake pad inside that will wear over time, so I try not to use it unless strictly required.

Depending on the rod used I generally play with just the mag control to adjust over a days fishing.

Good luck. You should find it a rather dramatic upgrade from a 6500.
Jimmywho
Posted 11/4/2015 5:57 AM (#791283 - in reply to #791282)

Thanks John et al, that's really useful.

Tbh im dreading using the reel this weekend, I took me a while to get used to the 6500 and avoiding birds nests , im thinking I'm going to get one on first cast with this and spend forever unpicking it.
So if I'm casting a 5oz dawg for a bit, then want to switch to a 2oz spoon, would you make any adjustments ? I was going to tighten the spool tension when changing over.

Also would you start off with 3 pins and some spool tension set, or 6 pins and no spool tension ?
Jump to page : 1 2 3 4
Now viewing page 2 [30 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)