Muskie Discussion Forums

Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Language | Blogs Search | Statistics | User Listing
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

[Frozen]
Moderators: Slamr

View previous thread :: View next thread
Jump to page : < ... 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 >
Now viewing page 9 [30 messages per page]

Muskie Fishing -> General Discussion -> Muskie Anglers Circuit press release

Frozen
Message Subject: Muskie Anglers Circuit press release
Reelwise
Posted 1/25/2009 4:34 PM (#357158 - in reply to #350957)
Subject: Re: Muskie Anglers Circuit press release

We need to put some MuskyLINK bump boards on all their boats
Pedro
Posted 1/25/2009 4:44 PM (#357159 - in reply to #350957)

Will the boards be "rented" with a deposit for the tourneys or can you purchase a "MAC" board to keep. I know fishing Hartmans, you can put down a deposit and return at the end of the tourney or just go ahead and buy the board to use all the time.
sworrall
Posted 1/25/2009 4:51 PM (#357160 - in reply to #350957)

Boards will be distributed in the morning and picked back up in the afternoon.

For registration, rules, and scheduling information, see the Muskie Anglers Circuit Website for the MAC email number and 800 telephone number.
WI_guy_turnedMudDuck
Posted 1/25/2009 10:32 PM (#357218 - in reply to #350957)

Steve,
You keep telling folks to contact MAC via phone and email. I'm confused, aren't you and Outdoor First handling media and public relations? So the person staffing the phone and answering email at MAC has more info than Outdoor First can provide here? I think some clarification would be appreciated.

Joe Olstadt

sworrall
Posted 1/25/2009 10:43 PM (#357220 - in reply to #350957)

OutdoorsFIRST will provide information as it is available and ALREADY RELEASED by the Muskie Anglers Circuit. The MAC website will be complete soon, and that's the place to get general info. Registration, rules, and associated information also needs to come from the official source, the MAC website and personnel for obvious reasons not the least of which is to limit contact to reasonable hours and with the person hired to convey information.

In the meantime, as promised in my post a few pages back, the MAC web page offers the telephone number, email address, and a PDF of the Rules/ Regs/ and a Application. More will come very soon.

OutdoorsFIRST is a SPONSOR, not the MAC. When the first event is in the can, you will be able to clearly see the separation.

Show me another Circuit that has EVER been tis accessible to the public. Now you know why it's not common practice.
john skarie
Posted 1/26/2009 7:46 AM (#357252 - in reply to #357220)

DC's concern is about the movement in MN (which many of you guys in WI probably don't know about) to stop current muskie stocking and make sure no new lakes are started here.

It's not a joke. No More Muskies started this several years ago, and was able to get stocking rates lowered on Lake Miltona with public pressure.

Now Anglers for Responsible Muskie Management (that might not be the exact name) have stopped proposed stocking on Gull and are still fighting to get muskie stocking stopped statewide.

Some of the very reasons they use to get other people on board are the muskie anglers are transient. They will come to your lake and spread exotics. They will "encroach" on other anglers and pleasure boater, and THEY WILL HOLD MORE TOURNAMENTS.

Yes walleye anglers and bass anglers hold many tournaments. But they are the ones that think muskies eat all the walleyes and bass, the very people are getting recruited to be "anti-muskie". Fair or not, to the public muskie tournaments, especially those put on "newer" waters are not looked on very favorably.

So this is a legitimate concern whether you admit it or not. The perception of the public towards muskie anglers will influenced by more tournaments, especially more large events.

You can either brush that aside or admit that it's a problem we in MN have to deal with.

As far as Hartman's tournament, he was asked by the DNR to move his dates due to fear of high temps. So there apperently is history of high temps during that time period, and already concern. What data were you using when you checked avg. temps, and what is your "standard" for being safe for tournament fishing?

JS

Edited by john skarie 1/26/2009 7:49 AM
sworrall
Posted 1/26/2009 9:27 AM (#357267 - in reply to #350957)

Anyone who reads this forum is aware of the anti-muskie groups over there, it's been a subject of conversation a few times here.

The vast majority of competitive Bass and Walleye anglers are very aware that Muskies do not 'eat all the walleyes'. I work with the walleye and bass pros every weekend all spring and summer, and assure you no one is recruiting them to push an uniformed or ignorant agenda. If anyone was trying to, the answer would be an emphatic NO.

The Competitive anglers I work with can be a very well spoken, educated, and organized group when it is necessary. I'd suggest that if you are concerned, you lobby for their considerable support that extends all the way to folks like the Lindners, Mark Dorn, Christine Houtman, and many other influential folks who were or are residents of your fine state. These folks have a voice and are willing to use it, if approached.

ALL out of state anglers are transient, and so to Vermilion are any from the Cities or south of there where many exotics already are present. That's a crap argument used to target competitive anglers with ZERO justification...because before each launch each day, the event coordinators are required to check every rig individually for exotics, and no angler out there is more informed than one who fishes competitively on many waterways across the country. MAC will invite the invasive species prevention folks from each state to speak at the rules meetings. I'd suggest you approach the Department of Tourism for help there, as far as I can tell, they are strongly encouraging folks from out of state to fish MN waters across the State, and they definitey have an interest to work with those who want added incentive for future tourism.

There was an event on Vermilion a few years back where some muskies were found dead the following week. That event was during that timeframe, and as a result, the fisheries biologist will not allow an event during that weekend even if the water tems are in the 60's. My question was, if the water temps are high that Friday, isn't it a reasonable assumption they would be the weekend before, especially in view of the ambient temp records from NOAA for that spread? And, the anti-tournament statement you are currently addressing ignored the MAC statement that no matter WHEN an event is scheduled, if the local fisheries biologist is concerned for the survival of the Muskies due to weather/water conditions, MAC will reschedule.

john skarie
Posted 1/26/2009 11:06 AM (#357286 - in reply to #357267)

There are hundreds of walleye and bass tournaments in MN. The vast majority of anglers in these are not the guys fishing the "pro" circuit that know muskies don't eat all the walleyes.

They are the avg. angler that believes people like Dick Sternberg and others who are waging a war on muskies in MN. That is why the Gull lake deal fell through, because they buy into this stuff.

My point here is to try to convey why we in MN are very vocal and concerned when it comes to tournaments and the public perception of muskie anglers in MN.

A lot of you just think we're voicing concerns just because we have nothing better to do and hate tournaments. That's simply not the case.

You can argue that this problem doesn't exist all you want to. But it does, and the people who are the ones who are fighting to get new lakes in MN, and fighting the public wars are the ones who have to deal with this situation.

The transient angler argument if for ALL muskie anglers, has nothing to do with tournament fishermen. Whether it's crap or not, it's an argument used to sway public opinion from expanding our muskie fishery.

If you would take the time to sit back and think about this, maybe you'll realize that this isn't about MAC or tournament anglers specifically, but about muskie anglers and the perception of muskie in MN as a whole.

JS
Posted 1/26/2009 11:57 AM (#357296 - in reply to #350957)
Subject: RE: Muskie Anglers Circuit press release

WOW
This is one heck of a read almost to much info to keep staight.
I think its about time to start a new thread or 2.
One for the people that are looking for information on MAC and its rules and such.

Then you can have one for the 2 guys that want to argue about what they fell is right and not listen to a word Steve or any one else for that matter has to say.

Beeing new to this site but looking for info on the MAC I will just contact MAC and get it over with.
As a note Steve I think you are doing a great job as far as answering every ones needs.
john skarie
Posted 1/26/2009 2:51 PM (#357328 - in reply to #357296)

Lambeau sees where I'm coming from here.

I hope people realize that there are legitimate reasons for concern.

I also hope people can see why there is more concern on Vermillion than on Leech. Vermillion is a stocked lake, granted it's always had some muskies in it, but that lake has changed very drastically in it's usage over the last 5 -8 years.

Leech has always had muskies and muskie tournaments.

The locals on Leech don't view muskies or muskie fishermen the same way as people on Vermillion do. It's a very different situation.

If you don't believe me, than spend some time in each area and talk to people.

JS
sworrall
Posted 1/26/2009 3:33 PM (#357351 - in reply to #350957)

If there's concern that needs addressing how about those who are concerned work with all of us promoting competitive muskie angling events in MN and elsewhere to be certain all are presented and run in a manner that is constructive and positive and that we offer a strong and well coordinated combined message? Al Lindner thinks that's the way it should go, he basically said so just a few weeks ago. Work together, and allies are available to reach common goals. I gave a few other examples of folks who would be willing to help in one way or another. Influential folks, with a voice that will be heard.

The Muskie Anglers Circuit is more than willing to do just that, and if some folks would stop swinging bats at us so we can forge positive alliances, they might find distinct advantages to working together.

john skarie
Posted 1/26/2009 3:44 PM (#357355 - in reply to #357351)

Steve;
If you're going to act like the bat swinging is only coming from one direction than there won't be any cooperation.

I think all the concerns have been laid out. All it takes is some listening instead of acting like all the concerns have been addressed or they aren't valid in the first place.

MAC can choose to move Vermillion from summer to fall. I'm not sure what kind of cooperation that takes, it's your choice.

Holcombe is a WI issue, so I'm not going to go there, the WI fellows can deal with that.

I don't think these issues can be talked about anymore than they have been.

Later.

JS
sworrall
Posted 1/26/2009 4:04 PM (#357358 - in reply to #350957)

I made a suggestion directed not at any one person but at all who are concerned about competitive angling for Muskies no matter the context, and I was serious. I truly think here would be distinct advantages working together. I believe we all have common goals and a combined voice would be stronger against those who would limit or reduce our opportunities to enjoy our sport.
dcmuskie
Posted 1/26/2009 6:46 PM (#357396 - in reply to #357358)

Ok how about fishing a lake that isn't having 2 or 3 touneys on it. There are many great lakes in MN try to only have one tourney on a lake a year. Not just talking your tourney but all of them. Sorry for not reading the whole post, but I have more important things to do than read a 250+ post thead.
Gander Mt Guide
Posted 1/26/2009 6:52 PM (#357398 - in reply to #350957)

Is there a web page for this trail yet?
sworrall
Posted 1/26/2009 7:00 PM (#357400 - in reply to #350957)

http://muskieanglerscircuit.com
lambeau
Posted 1/26/2009 7:45 PM (#357405 - in reply to #350957)

i like the adjusted schedule.
that's a great move by the MAC.

Jerome Morris and i are teaming up for the full trail, deposit in the mail tomorrow!
pgaschulz
Posted 1/26/2009 8:23 PM (#357415 - in reply to #350957)

The tournament dates are set and lakes also. This year is finished lets see how it goes then you can take your fight toward next years events. Give them a chance I think everything will be fine.
KidDerringer
Posted 1/26/2009 10:03 PM (#357449 - in reply to #350957)

MAC is now slated for September on sweet Vermilion ...so...................might work ...
They show some class moving it...even if it was only choice given...Don't know this...just guessing it was a choice.
Shows something....I like that.

Maybe partner up, jump in a have some fun...me that is...I know a few spots can be fun in September.
Plus know how to handle a fish an they likes me so they understand if I pinch an tickle a bit.

Its easy if you try, all ya got to do is stnad in one spot, but ya have to wiggle around a lil bit!!
Jump on in a bust a move!
SHAKE IT!

Wonder when other large one is going to go down?
Hmmmmmmmmmmm?

Keep on rocken.

Tommy
Baby Mallard
Posted 1/26/2009 10:20 PM (#357458 - in reply to #357449)

Great decision on the move to September. I think you will find it a more positive experience with a lot less boat traffic that time of year. Would be a fun tournament to be in. Good luck to all of you participating in it! (I am jealous)
Parker
Posted 1/27/2009 9:24 AM (#357506 - in reply to #350957)

Is the Vermilion tournament still out of Spring Bay? the reason I ask is that the brochure mentions Tower. That is the east end of the lake. Spring Bay is on the Cook end. Just curious.
sworrall
Posted 1/27/2009 9:28 AM (#357509 - in reply to #350957)

The event will be headquartered just down the road from Spring Bay. Launch details will be released well in advance of the event. Call Spring Bay asap to get a reservation.
Top H2O
Posted 1/27/2009 4:59 PM (#357614 - in reply to #357509)

Sept. is a real good time for me on Vermilion, and no doubt the prettiest time of the year up here.

I'll look for you Muskie Tom. Can't miss that Big Lund.

Get the Net !! ........Lambeau,!! She's a Tanker !!

Jerome
Don Pfeiffer
Posted 1/27/2009 6:00 PM (#357630 - in reply to #350957)

Concerns over tournaments are always brought up. I guess many by the people who fish the lakes often that they are held on or live there. I have fished hundreds of tournaments over a 30 year span. I would just like to say that its very rare to find a tournament angler that does not respect the lake,other anglers or the resource. In fact I believe that tournament anglers are very goos representitives for the sport of musky fishing. I think many of the fears are blown up to be a much bigger problem then they are. If you have fished many tournaments I think you'll agree with me and the concerns will all be set aside after a few of the tournaments have taken place.

Don Pfeiffer
Posted 2/4/2009 4:13 AM (#358935 - in reply to #350957)

NICE DATES for vermillion and leech lake. They are same weekend as MMTT tournaments. I know that MMTT tournaments are announced a year in advance.

Was going to try and fish both circuits but impossible now.

Trying to decide what circuit to fish. A BIG point is the fact that MMTT gives so much to the stocking program and muskie fishing. Does the MAC have any plans to give anything back to muskie fishing. I know Paul Hartman has done great job of giving back to the sport.

Undecided
Posted 2/4/2009 4:25 AM (#358937 - in reply to #350957)

I would like to remind people that tournaments are a big part of the sport of muskie fishing. Certain tournaments are BIG fund raisers for our sport. Without them the stocking program would not be available.

Next time you try to think of negative effects you should look at the positives.
SpencerBerman
Posted 2/4/2009 5:03 AM (#358939 - in reply to #358937)

I would like to remind people that tournaments are a big part of the sport of muskie fishing. Certain tournaments are BIG fund raisers for our sport. Without them the stocking program would not be available.

Amen to that! Now if only we can get the DNR to realize that we would be all set.
castmaster
Posted 2/4/2009 7:29 AM (#358945 - in reply to #350957)

Just curious if you have any data backing your claim there would be no stocking if not for tournaments.
lambeau
Posted 2/4/2009 9:16 AM (#358956 - in reply to #350957)

he said that "certain" tournaments are big fund-raisers for stocking. this is definitely something that Paul Hartman has been doing over the years: paying to rear and feed muskies in ponds for stocking. it's something that has involved both money and great personal effort on his part and others'.

in my mind, Paul's MMTT set the bar high for responsible muskie tournaments: using the most fish-friendly format along with a real commitment to giving back and expanding the resource. he's universally respected for this, and a downright likeable guy to boot. i've fished a number of MMTT events, they're well-run and extremely fun.
i think it's a compliment to him that the MAC has chosen to follow his format with bump-boards and digital pictures. the MAC has also stated that it will be making donations to local muskie conservation efforts in the areas that they conduct their tournaments.

it's unfortunate that there's a couple of date conflicts in MN between the MMTT and the MAC and some anglers will have to choose one or the other event. i suppose at some point that kind of issue is unavoidable since there are only so many possibilities, especially with the MAC changing their Vermilion schedule away from the original July date.

the payout rates are relatively close, with the MAC's rate being somewhat higher; the MAC costs more to enter, which also gives them more total money to distribute.
this means that if each tournament had the same size field of 50 boats, the MAC's 1st place prize is significantly higher, 2nd-10th place payouts are pretty much the same, and the MAC pays 11-16th place where the MMTT does not. the MAC also has some contingency awards from certain companies than can increase awards. obviously money (cost and payout both) isn't the only thing people consider when making a decision like this, but it is at least one factor.

at some point down the line it would be cool to see something happen with the MAC and MMTT doing some sort of combined effort...
Derrys
Posted 2/4/2009 11:26 AM (#358973 - in reply to #350957)

I don't fish tournaments, so I'm not sure how popular they currently are. Are these MAC tournaments expected to fill at an entry cost of $750.00 per event, or whatever it is? Thanks.
Jump to page : < ... 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 >
Now viewing page 9 [30 messages per page]
Frozen
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)