Muskie Discussion Forums

Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Language | Blogs Search | Statistics | User Listing
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )
Moderators: Slamr

View previous thread :: View next thread
Jump to page : 1 2 3 4 5 6
Now viewing page 5 [30 messages per page]

Muskie Fishing -> Lures,Tackle, and Equipment -> Thoughts on TranX

Message Subject: Thoughts on TranX
speed?
Posted 1/17/2012 7:34 AM (#533368 - in reply to #532751)
Subject: RE: Thoughts on TranX

will these types of reels put more fish in the boat? Yes, imo they do. Look at just a few years ago when we didn't have reels like trinidads/saltists etc to really make our bucktails move. Yes, spot is more important but anyone that thinks speed at times won't help you put more fish in the boat is crazy imo. Yes, these types of reels will put more fish in the boat over the course of the season.
BNelson
Posted 1/17/2012 8:22 AM (#533374 - in reply to #533368)
Subject: Re: Thoughts on TranX

I guess imo reels like this (maybe not THIS particular reel) will put more fish in the boat over the course of the season...to me of course the spot is key but look at it this way...say you troll a bait by a fish at 2.5 mph and it doesn't hit it, but you make another pass at 4mph and bingo, it hits..isn't this the same thing? sure location is paramount but isn't speed part of the equation? imo it definitely is.... look at the days we only had 5500/6500 type Abu's....then times changed and we had reels like Calcuttas and Revos etc w power handles to attain more speed without fatigue...then came trinidad/saltwater type reels....imo they DID put more fish in my boat...speed kills...it's a trigger, just like color/contrast, action, etc etc....is it first on the list ? No...but imo anyone that thinks these reels don't put more fish in the boat over the course of the season isn't quite looking at the big picture.
maybe this is a discussion for another thread but Doug J's post got me thinking...
QuickSet
Posted 1/17/2012 9:42 AM (#533398 - in reply to #532751)

Most/many of us are already using reels intended to maximize speed and minimize fatigue, so it's a moot point (or at least a different discussion) about whether or not that matters. Enough people believe in it that we've been misusing saltwater jigging and trolling reels to try and accomplish it.

Assuming that as a given, the next consideration is whether or not there's any real mechanical advances offered by the TranX over the Trinidad or a modified TE; physics tells us "not much" and it will run a bait at about the same speed and you'll feel about the same amount of resistance depending on which gear ratio model you're using.

So, what's the advantage of it? The point of this reel from my perspective is that it is purpose-built as a casting reel, with a levelwind for ease of casting and a shape that is more comfortable in your hand than those other options. I expect that will mean fewer backlashes, more accurate casts, and less hand fatigue in the "off" hand that's holding the reel.

I had a 16NA but it was bulky and awkward so I found myself reaching for other, slower reels that were easier to hold and cast. If having a TranX means I actually use the reel more often to speed bucktails, then yes, I believe it will put more fish in the boat.
depoms2003
Posted 1/17/2012 10:39 AM (#533413 - in reply to #533374)

BNelson - 1/17/2012 8:22 AM

I guess imo reels like this (maybe not THIS particular reel) will put more fish in the boat over the course of the season...to me of course the spot is key but look at it this way...say you troll a bait by a fish at 2.5 mph and it doesn't hit it, but you make another pass at 4mph and bingo, it hits..isn't this the same thing? sure location is paramount but isn't speed part of the equation? imo it definitely is.... look at the days we only had 5500/6500 type Abu's....then times changed and we had reels like Calcuttas and Revos etc w power handles to attain more speed without fatigue...then came trinidad/saltwater type reels....imo they DID put more fish in my boat...speed kills...it's a trigger, just like color/contrast, action, etc etc....is it first on the list ? No...but imo anyone that thinks these reels don't put more fish in the boat over the course of the season isn't quite looking at the big picture.
maybe this is a discussion for another thread but Doug J's post got me thinking...

you dont need a tranx to get 4 mph,you can get that speed whit ease whit a te 400.
and btw nobody troll from 2.5 to 4mph............
2.5 is a late fall speed and good luck to catch a fish at 4 mph during that period.
you better get better examples,never that reel is gona put more fish in the boat!
if you start to burn small blades whit that reel you will get something like 8 mph......
Mr Musky
Posted 1/17/2012 10:50 AM (#533419 - in reply to #533413)

depoms, you obviously haven't fall trolled much. We caught many fish trolling 4.5 on the woods and plenty more when the outside bait was going ever faster on the turns! Funny how so many get stuck by the book speeds.
jackson
Posted 1/17/2012 11:20 AM (#533427 - in reply to #533205)

KSauers - 1/16/2012 10:38 AM

200 price tag. Wow some people are really living in the past. I can't believe so much complaining about the price. I don't remember anyone complaining about 480 for a 16na. This is a BETTER reel for us.

And as long as people think a reel is worth 500 dollars and that it will magically catch more fish they will keep the price going up. Like i said, 200 dollars maybe but this reel is not even competitive with others. Its double the cost.
BNelson
Posted 1/17/2012 11:33 AM (#533428 - in reply to #533427)

depoms, thanks for the laugh.... and did you skip English class?
you can't catch fish at 2.5 ? huh? or 4mph? huh? wtf are you smoking...?
you missed the point.point is, if a bucktail goes by a fish at a slower speed and it doesn't hit but then another bucktail goes by the same fish at a much faster speed w a reel like this and it hits..isn't that putting more fish in the boat...?
gtp888
Posted 1/17/2012 11:42 AM (#533429 - in reply to #533413)

depoms2003 - 1/17/2012 10:39 AM
BNelson - 1/17/2012 8:22 AM I guess imo reels like this (maybe not THIS particular reel) will put more fish in the boat over the course of the season...to me of course the spot is key but look at it this way...say you troll a bait by a fish at 2.5 mph and it doesn't hit it, but you make another pass at 4mph and bingo, it hits..isn't this the same thing? sure location is paramount but isn't speed part of the equation? imo it definitely is.... look at the days we only had 5500/6500 type Abu's....then times changed and we had reels like Calcuttas and Revos etc w power handles to attain more speed without fatigue...then came trinidad/saltwater type reels....imo they DID put more fish in my boat...speed kills...it's a trigger, just like color/contrast, action, etc etc....is it first on the list ? No...but imo anyone that thinks these reels don't put more fish in the boat over the course of the season isn't quite looking at the big picture. maybe this is a discussion for another thread but Doug J's post got me thinking...
you dont need a tranx to get 4 mph,you can get that speed whit ease whit a te 400. and btw nobody troll from 2.5 to 4mph............ 2.5 is a late fall speed and good luck to catch a fish at 4 mph during that period. you better get better examples,never that reel is gona put more fish in the boat! if you start to burn small blades whit that reel you will get something like 8 mph......

Brad was just giving an example of how changing speeds can sometimes trigger a fish.  He used a trolling example to do this.  For me, it provided more food for thought. 

jonnysled
Posted 1/17/2012 11:46 AM (#533430 - in reply to #533428)

i'm gonna guess mr. depoms is Quebecois ... Go Habs!!!
Richard Brooker
Posted 1/17/2012 12:05 PM (#533435 - in reply to #533419)

Mr Musky - 1/17/2012 10:50 AM

depoms, you obviously haven't fall trolled much. We caught many fish trolling 4.5 on the woods and plenty more when the outside bait was going ever faster on the turns! Funny how so many get stuck by the book speeds.

noob stick at 4.5 during late fall i will stick to 2.5,we will see at the end of the day who won.........
Fishboy19
Posted 1/17/2012 12:52 PM (#533444 - in reply to #532751)

$500 isnt so bad if it lasts. If your using large blades as your primary lure, the Trinidad gearing is the only reel that I've experienced that can handle this abuse. The gears in most Garcia, shimano, diawa, etc are being shredded inside. Powder will be everywhere inside at the end of a season if used significantly. The TRANX hopefully will keep right on going just like the Trinidad. Revo's have been solid also; so far. No experience with TE's.
h2o.
Posted 1/17/2012 12:54 PM (#533445 - in reply to #533435)

Richard Brooker - 1/17/2012 12:05 PM

Mr Musky - 1/17/2012 10:50 AM

noob stick at 4.5 during late fall i will stick to 2.5,we will see at the end of the day who won.........

One day you'll win, another day he will. No one wins.

Every day is different, one day they are aggressive/chasing baits, and on another slow an neutral. Even in the fall/early winter.
Posted 1/17/2012 2:05 PM (#533458 - in reply to #532751)

Speed also helps you cover more water, which certainly improves your odds of contacting an active fish over the course of a day. Maybe there are days when an active fish won't eat a fast-moving lure but will eat a slow-moving lure, but on those days speed isn't a trigger, either. When speed is a trigger, you contact more fish AND trigger more fish by using the technique. Sort of like exponential returns on the "speed investment".
esoxaddict
Posted 1/17/2012 2:37 PM (#533464 - in reply to #532751)

The real question is does the extra speed you will get and the potential for a few more fish a season justify the cost of spending $500 on a reel... You can do a lot more fishing with an extra $500 in your pocket.
Slamr
Posted 1/17/2012 2:48 PM (#533468 - in reply to #532751)

For what they're worth, here are my thoughts on the TranX: If you're throwing Double 10s and bigger for 3+ wks out of the season and are already used to the larger/heavier reels. This is a reel you should check out. From speaking with the Shimano guys, it seems as thought this reel has been engineered specifically for the purpose of chucking double 10s. I/they fully understand that the price point is going to be far too high for many people and that many people don't NEED a reel such as this. BUT, if you're looking for a high-quality reel (so far as it seems from playing around with it, talking with the reps, etc) for hard pulling baits that has a level wind, might be worth a look beyond saying "$500!" and deciding there is no use for a reel like this.
Fly
Posted 1/17/2012 6:15 PM (#533503 - in reply to #532751)

There's two sides to the "more fish" argument. I fish Trinidads for blades and I definately feel that speed is a trigger and that covering more water is another added bonus. But I'm with Doug in that if people think this thing is a magic wand that will have fish jumping over the gunwhales, people have a second think coming.

All the hype over this reel is insane. I love Shimano and I'm sure it's a great reel, but you'd think this thing was good for guaranteeing a 50 and a 55 with the option of a 58 on your first day out. I'm not even saying it'll be a disappointment; I'm sure it will work as advertised, but everyone is falling all over themselves to get this thing and talking about how it's a game-changer and is the biggest thing to muskie fishing since the DCG and I'm just not seeing it. Nice reel for sure, but me and my 16NA will fish side by side with a dude and his Tranx and it's not like they're going to shut out the lights on me. Levelwind and a thumb bar don't put fish in the boat. They're conveniences which are nice, but it's just a reel. A very nice reel, but it's just a reel. JMO.
cast10K
Posted 1/17/2012 7:26 PM (#533516 - in reply to #533045)

h2o. - 1/15/2012 4:22 PM

Medically, a Doctor will tell parents, that if they notice their child writing with their left hand at the beginning of their life, to never force the child to use their right hand to do so. This could cause long term neurological implications.

Switching hands to complete a task would only be advised by a doctor to patients with amputated ligaments. A person, who is right hand dominant, will never be as efficient, if he/she would use their non-dominant hand.

This is what we have been taught at medical school.

Let me get this straight... you've been to medical school, but you don't know the difference between limbs and ligaments?!?! Amputated ligaments!?!?!? LOL
h2o.
Posted 1/17/2012 8:12 PM (#533526 - in reply to #533516)

after reading from dusk till dawn on Saturday and Sunday and a hard week, I'll let you figure it out.
Top H2O
Posted 1/17/2012 8:51 PM (#533538 - in reply to #533526)

Sorry, but at 20oz. and $500.00 plus I'll stick to what has worked in the past...... Casting the bait where the fish are, will still work better for Me.

Sometimes slower is Better,...... in Sex and Fishing.
Mr Musky
Posted 1/17/2012 10:18 PM (#533553 - in reply to #532751)

I question why didnt Shimano just make a 5:4 ratio Tranx and capture the best of both worlds? Speed and power. I would think it would be somewhere in the mid thirties?
PIKEMASTER
Posted 1/18/2012 6:26 AM (#533564 - in reply to #533553)

Mr Musky - 1/17/2012 10:18 PM

I question why didnt Shimano just make a 5:4 ratio Tranx and capture the best of both worlds? Speed and power. I would think it would be somewhere in the mid thirties?

Catch 22 for Shimano, guys that wanted a low gears would say it is to fast and guys that wanted a high spped gears would say it is to slow.
Posted 1/18/2012 10:27 AM (#533591 - in reply to #532751)

It's official: the TranX stole the Chicago Muskie Show.

http://www.suntimes.com/sports/outdoors/10071191-452/tranx-reel-ste...
MikeHulbert
Posted 1/18/2012 11:17 AM (#533606 - in reply to #533591)

As I have said before, I use all Shimano 400 LJV's...and NO, I do not have a problem with the reel engaging during the cast. Never have...no matter how hard I cast or where the handle is. The power this reel has is crazy...best reel I have ever used. As I mentioned before, I beat the Tranx with my LJV but I was also burning like a crazy man...where the Tranx makes it EASIER, less Fatigue which means you can BURN longer. Also, "BURNING" is a relative term as what I consider burning is not what most people consider burning. The Tranx will make fishing big tails EASIER with less fatigue for sure, but I know I can beat it for speed with my LJV. Will I get one...after thinking about it, yes, I will. I will also use it for pounders up shallow, as I like to toss pounders in 3-5 ft. of water and need this reel to really rip them. It is a pretty slick and amazing reel. I will be getting one and since it is a Shimano, I know it will be quality. All TE's, LJV's and Tranx in my boat for 2012.
JBush
Posted 1/18/2012 2:47 PM (#533650 - in reply to #532751)

EA nailed it....five hundred bucks buys a lot of fuel, maybe three or four nights with a dock at a good resort, a couple good GPS chips etc etc etc. I can think of a lot of ways to get more out of that kind of money. I think it's important to realize that things are only 'worth' what people are willing to pay for them. The same $500 reel will be being sold this time next year NIB for $350. Five years from now they will be $150. Again, equities are a perfect example in this case. It's a voting machine, not a measure of actual value. There's probably $20 worth of rubber, leather and child sweat in a pair of Nike, but the materials and production costs have nothing to do with the 'value' people associate with them. "Here's my $200!"
Someone here can (and I'm sure will) do the math but can casting and reeling can't really come close to duplicating and maintaining the speeds you can trolling, can it? You can go 6mph trolling all day and expend zero effort doing it. Can a reel really get a bait up to 5, 6 miles an hour consistently? If it can, it won't be for very long. You guys looking for all this speed should really look at trolling. The efficiency, lack of wear and tear and production will probably work for you. I know lots and lots of casters who switch to trolling and rarely go back to spending most of their time casting. Much fewer good trollers seem to revert to casting as theri no1 approach after seeing it work. (Yes, yes I know that some spots are made for casting and some for trolling and good fishermen use both). Everybody almost to a man starts out as a caster. Look at all the fish caught over fifty pounds or 55/57in the last ten years. There are fewer trollers than casters I have to beleive, and the score is lopsided even still. My first pickup cost me $1,100. Hard to believe with tax that probably wouldn't cover two muskie reels lol.
BrianF.
Posted 1/18/2012 4:03 PM (#533667 - in reply to #533650)

I don't get it.

At $479.99, there was never this much 'noise' about the cost of a Trini 16NA. Why is the cost of this reel such a hot button vs. the 16NA? Certainly not the $20 bill cost difference.

Brian
PIKEMASTER
Posted 1/18/2012 4:12 PM (#533669 - in reply to #533667)

BrianF. - 1/18/2012 4:03 PM

I don't get it.

At $479.99, there was never this much 'noise' about the cost of a Trini 16NA. Why is the cost of this reel such a hot button vs. the 16NA? Certainly not the $20 bill cost difference.

Brian

One Major Retailer is $50.00 OFF and Free Shipping
QuickSet
Posted 1/18/2012 4:19 PM (#533671 - in reply to #532751)

It's a psychological barrier rather than an objective one. So just like gas hitting $5/gallon feels tremendously higher than $4.50/gallon, a reel hitting $500 seems crazy compared to one in the $450 range. It's the same reason products are priced at $19.99 instead of $20.

If your budget allows you just enough money to stay at a resort this year, or maybe to upgrade your electronics or maybe (gasp!) buy a boat of some kind, then you should do those things instead of getting an expensive reel with a narrow application. If you already have those other things, and can afford it, then there's no reason to apologize for spending the dough on a new reel which should make fishing big hard-pulling lures easier.
ryan marlowe
Posted 1/18/2012 4:37 PM (#533675 - in reply to #532751)

We will see in a year what guy's actually are sayin about this reel.....

To be Continued
Dirt Esox
Posted 1/18/2012 7:29 PM (#533718 - in reply to #532751)

Hulbert,

Which gear ratio for you on Tranx?
MikeHulbert
Posted 1/18/2012 8:10 PM (#533726 - in reply to #532751)

I will be getting the high speed. Used them both this past weekend. If I need power, it is hard to beat the LJV, if I need speed, then the high speed Tranx is what I will be throwing. I understand $500 is a lot to pay for a reel, and I will be getting mine straight from Thorne Bros. just like most of you. It's a tough pill to swallow, but we all have well more than $500 worth of worthless lures that we never use, old rods that sit in our garage, old reels from years ago, etc...so even though it is expensive, I can swallow the price tag a little more knowing it will be put to good use!!!
Jump to page : 1 2 3 4 5 6
Now viewing page 5 [30 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)