Muskie Discussion Forums

Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Language | Blogs Search | Statistics | User Listing
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

[Frozen]
Moderators: Slamr

View previous thread :: View next thread
Jump to page : < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 >
Now viewing page 5 [30 messages per page]

Muskie Fishing -> General Discussion -> Muskie Anglers Circuit press release

Frozen
Message Subject: Muskie Anglers Circuit press release
Silver Scale
Posted 1/11/2009 8:29 PM (#354413 - in reply to #350957)
Subject: RE: Muskie Anglers Circuit press release

DNR monitoring equipment has that time period as the warmest water of the year. It would be good to move this tournament to a colder water less busy period like end of Aug or Sept. This would also sit better with the locals IMHO.
Mak51
Posted 1/11/2009 11:14 PM (#354442 - in reply to #350957)

I agree with Silver Scale about lake temps. on Vermilion. A September tournament on Vermilion would be interesting.. again.
sworrall
Posted 1/12/2009 12:10 AM (#354443 - in reply to #350957)
Subject: Re: Muskie Anglers Circuit press release

There is absolutely no reason to worry about survival of an immediately released muskie in high 60 degree to low 70 degree water temps. There is every possibility the water temps in mid September are still at the average summer high, and if that's 73 degrees for example, there's no danger to the fish from water temps being 'too warm', especially in view of the immediate release format. It's interesting that July is the 'busiest' time of year, meaning there are muskie anglers out there, and I've not seen anything saying they 'shouldn't be' until now. MAC will be on the water only 2 days of competition, and during the day, not evening and night time.

The schedule dates are in stone for the weekends chosen, so if a location is changed due to permitting we will know very soon, and we won't move any event very far. One thing for certain, there are plenty of opinions from folks who don't fish competitively and a few from those who do, which is expected, and the MAC management team is listening. If you have constructive suggestions we will have an email address posted very soon.

A bit of perspective here:

There are several really well run highly competitive 'local' circuits in Illinois, Michigan, Wisconsin, and Minnesota. If one decides to try out competitive angling for Muskies, that's the place most start. After a couple seasons, if the team does well enough and the Sport is still attractive, the move is made to the PMTT. This process is about the same in the Walleye world from WAT, MWT, etc to the Masters Walleye Circuit. Once an angler has reached the point they want to move into a new level of competition from the MWC, there is AIM and the FLW League and Tour. What's the difference between the Circuits, and why would one think this is an attractive option for EVERYONE looking at fishing Muskies competitively? That's already been described in this thread. Of course, it's in the Sport's best interest that ALL the Circuits do well drawing respectable fields, thus growing the sport and bringing new anglers into the competition at all levels.

Some of the comments we have heard are assumptive the idea is to somehow damage the circuits already in place. Nothing could be further from the truth. MAC did everything possible to avoid schedule conflicts (some are inevitable, but we are looking at the progression described above), and will continue to do so into the future.

thescottith
Posted 1/12/2009 10:14 AM (#354469 - in reply to #350957)

3 Tournaments one month one lake is too much.
sworrall
Posted 1/12/2009 11:19 AM (#354490 - in reply to #350957)

If so, the MNDNR will let us know very soon.

This thread is designed to be informational for those interested in fishing or watching the events.
Muskie Treats
Posted 1/12/2009 12:20 PM (#354512 - in reply to #350957)

I doubt there will me a tournament in MN on the opener. Historically MN doesn't issue permits for tournaments during the opener for the indicated species.
Gander Mt Guide
Posted 1/12/2009 12:49 PM (#354522 - in reply to #350957)

"I've attended several organizational meetings, and can assure you it's much more, John."

It wasn't me. This is the first I've read anything about this tourny trail. I was up north on the 27th with no internet connection. The closest I got to this place during the holidays was going to Trigs in Rhinelander on new years eve day.

Edited by Gander Mt Guide 1/12/2009 12:55 PM
Obfuscate Musky
Posted 1/12/2009 1:01 PM (#354528 - in reply to #354490)

sworrall - 1/12/2009 11:19 AM

If so, the MNDNR will let us know very soon.

This thread is designed to be informational for those interested in fishing or watching the events.

So if I started a seperate thread it wouldn't get deleated?

Glad to see the priorities on here are the sponsers and Tourny Promoters over local residents. I offered a fair counter opinion.
Slamr
Posted 1/12/2009 1:04 PM (#354530 - in reply to #350957)

Steve is currently away from his computer and unable to answer the above and other questions regarding the circuit and/or issues around posts from the past. I am going to lock this thread until Steve returns and can respond.
sworrall
Posted 1/12/2009 4:04 PM (#354578 - in reply to #350957)

treats,
The event on the MN opener is in Minocqua, WI.

Obfuscate,
You seem to just want to complain about the event dates on a body of water you want to fish. If anyone who wants to whine about competitive angling does so on this thread, those who are actually interested in the events and the details surrounding them will find it hard to read.

GMG,
I never thought any post here was from you, sir. You were in Rhinelander New years? Should have called, the coffee is always on!
Obfuscate Musky
Posted 1/12/2009 4:21 PM (#354583 - in reply to #350957)

Yeah Yeah, your opinions are gods gold and mine are whining, I see...

J Mich also had a coment about where we can voice counter opinions and that was deleted also.

To be clear I have nothing against this new trail it's just 3 Tournies in 5 weeks on one body of water sucks when it's on your local waters. That is all......
sworrall
Posted 1/12/2009 4:27 PM (#354587 - in reply to #350957)

Excuse me, but I believe I simply explained why this sort of thing is counterproductive. You proved the point for me...again.

I didn't see the other thread, I was at a friend's funeral. I also already said if the MNDNR thinks the same as you, we will adapt and adjust accordingly.
Obfuscate Musky
Posted 1/12/2009 4:31 PM (#354591 - in reply to #350957)

I understand and again I have nothing against this Tourny Trail, in fact compared to others it would probably be the one I'd fish. I plan to contact the DNR and voice my concerns about the QUANTITY of tournies on Leech, a friend of mine already has and the DNR rep had no info about this tourny and said the only permitted tourny in August is the Portage Bay Campground one the 8th and 9th. Maybe he hasn't got the info on this one since it's so new?
sworrall
Posted 1/12/2009 4:32 PM (#354592 - in reply to #350957)

That's correct. It's on the way there now.
lawyer on the line
Posted 1/12/2009 4:56 PM (#354596 - in reply to #350957)

You can use ONE weekend day for a tournament in MN. You will need to reschedule for Friday-Saturday or Sunday-Monday if you want a two day event that involves a weekend. That's the current law I believe.
sworrall
Posted 1/12/2009 4:58 PM (#354597 - in reply to #350957)

MAC has the applications on the way.
Top H2O
Posted 1/12/2009 6:55 PM (#354623 - in reply to #354597)

Who said there were 3 Tourneys on V in less than 4 weeks ?
Hartmans,
MAC, and which other one ?
Oh and buy the way , the water temps haven't been near 80* in the last 3 summers. I'm not saying that it can't get hot but if it did I'm sure the MAC will do the right thing.

And you guys that are aginst fishing at this time of the year need to pratice what you preach, I've read some of your posts and your out there pounding the water every chance you get during the summer bite.

Personally I'm fishing the PMTT, a couple of Hartmans events ,and the MAC.
I will also add that 99% of the people that fish these tourneys know how to handle the fish and have the fishes safety as a top priorty at all times.

Take it easy and try to be kind to someone today Later,

Jerome
The Stik
Posted 1/12/2009 7:41 PM (#354630 - in reply to #350957)

The International Muskie inc event is typically close to that date, I assume that's the 3rd?

KidDerringer
Posted 1/12/2009 8:10 PM (#354635 - in reply to #350957)

Hi...I don't post a lot...see things a bit different in life than most...try to help an have fun in all I do......just don't get all the crabbieness about these tourneys as they have come a long long way in recent years....amazing.

Better to be a trend setter than a follower.
No one wants to do something halfassed.
Sometimes things end up that way...but only really for the lack of planning or input from wide variety of people of many intrests an walks of life.
Everyone knows a liitle about something....why not try to reach out...offer up something positive and get everything rolling in right direction.
I'm no tourney guy ......done a few had fun but did not do much for me...so I seldom feel the need to enter.
Dose not mean I hate tourneys or the people in them or running them.
I try to see the good in everything....If I can't I speak up so at least I know I did something to help or I just shut up.
LOL
That is just me...humor is trying to trip me up every second of every day.

I would love to see our lil path of lake be like it was 10 years ago...less people, nice fishen, quiet mostly...but it has changed so I deal with it an look as change as something good.
My intent here is to remind everyone who reads my rambling of this....helping is way better than grumbling.
The adult thing to do...can be fun also.

Please stop finger type arguing about these things.
If someone feels so deeply about the fish or the lake or the community one of the events are on or around...maybe jump in an help make it even better instead of just typing about it.
Seems fruitless to just finger type nasty junk back an forth.
DNR in all states know best...will do best to see everything done correctly...for fish, lake, community...I would hope.
Managers of this event or others need input like anything else....beating new things down is no good....helping make things come off well or be done correctly is way to go.
Finger typing online is not the way to get anything done......please try to be more open minded and adult about these things.
We all are only given so much time on this trip called life....try to make the most of it.

Thanks for your time.

Tommy Wehler

PS.
Thanks to bunches of you, some i do not even know.... for the kind words an letters, cards an E-mails the last couple months.
Help me big time...more than you all will ever know.
Told that old cancer to go back to hell an stood tall an gave the finger to the devil as I have done a long long time now.
Getting back to biz as usual round here so ....have no fear...I'M STILL ALIVE AN WELL!!!

Nuff said....but thanks.

www.muskytomsguideservice.com

Edited by KidDerringer 1/12/2009 8:21 PM
John Mich
Posted 1/12/2009 9:49 PM (#354655 - in reply to #350957)

Not trying to cause a problem here Steve, but can someone answer my question please?

How can you hold a tournament on Holcombe...on Labor Day weekend...two weeks before the Frist Wisconsin Tournament and not expect to harm the fishery.

John Mich
Lake Holcombe Flowage Homeowner
sworrall
Posted 1/12/2009 10:16 PM (#354660 - in reply to #350957)

Sure, I'll be happy to now that your post is in the form of a reasonable question.

The Muskie Anglers Circuit tournament is immediate catch and release, and is scheduled to be held on Sunday and Monday. There are many waters with two weeks in between events all across the country, and most of those events are NOT immediate CPR. I'd bet quite a few of the folks up there will be on the way home when the anglers check in off the water Monday, they certainly are in most areas across the state. I'd ask you how you anticipate that an immediate CPR event 'harms' the fishery? Stop over to the headquarters for the virtual check in and see how this is done, you'll be much more comfortable after seeing the fish are out of the water less than 30 seconds in most cases. We also have a conservation fund that will be given to the local Muskies Inc club or DNR for stocking or habitat management on that water.

All in all, the MAC will leave no footprint other than a considerable boost to the local resorts, motels and restaurants, gas stations and other retail establishments, and will offer a little back to the fishery in return for visiting the area.

KidDerringer,
Good to hear all is well, you had a few of us a little concerned. great news!!

BenR
Posted 1/12/2009 10:20 PM (#354661 - in reply to #350957)

I believe most people feel that any fish caught by another fisherman is harming their fishery regardless if the fish is released or not...
Posted 1/12/2009 11:18 PM (#354669 - in reply to #350957)

I believe the local economy on and around vermilion would benifit more from a september tournament. It's pretty busy around there during July and August.
If you have ever fished Vermilion after one of the MMTT July tournaments then you know what kind of added pressure the tournament brought to the lake. The pressure I'm referring to is not from the tournament anglers but from their results. Once the news gets out that their has been a 1/2 dozen 54" fish caught everybody and their brother flocks to the lake, a lake that is already getting the flocked kick out of it. A sptember tournament just makes more sense to me and I would think the more skilled anglers would agree.
As much as I hate to say this I believe a september tournament will eliminate the chance of fish being snagged.

I wish you all the luck with your tournaments
Fisher
Posted 1/13/2009 8:32 AM (#354700 - in reply to #354669)

I dont get it, lakes are public waters for everyone to fish. If one boat shows up on a weekend or 1000 boats show up, it doesnt matter, everyone there to fish a lake has that right because it is public water for eveyone to enjoy. I wish i had the money to fish the MAC, sounds like it would be a fun time!
John Mich
Posted 1/13/2009 8:47 AM (#354703 - in reply to #350957)

I really don't think that my previous questions were out of line Steve, however I'll accept your answer to this one.

I understand the footprint therory and believe me I have no problem with tournaments on my lake...there are some every year. I guess I don't like the timing of this one (Labor Day weekend).

Just my opinion I guess.
Posted 1/13/2009 8:51 AM (#354704 - in reply to #350957)

Theirs a lot of folks out there that don't understand why we fish for these fish only to release them. Maybe we should just thump them all because we can and it's legal to do.
I think that would get us to where we are headed a lot quicker in the state of MN.

personally I would rather see a trophy fishery, wouldn't you?
Posted 1/13/2009 8:54 AM (#354705 - in reply to #350957)

Jerome - The 3rd tournament is the Lake Vermilion Muskie Challenge. Weekend of Aug 8. Already has a permit.
Junkman
Posted 1/13/2009 9:22 AM (#354710 - in reply to #350957)

I am sorry if I am misunderstanding something here, but just for the record...if a tournament has to include a non-weekend day along with a weekend day...my vote is for Friday-Saturday rather than Sunday-Monday. Obviously, that's my personal work schedule problem, but while all things are still being considered...I wanted to toss that out. Marty Forman
esoxaddict
Posted 1/13/2009 9:30 AM (#354711 - in reply to #354661)

BenR - 1/12/2009 10:20 PM

I believe most people feel that any fish caught by another fisherman is harming their fishery regardless if the fish is released or not...

'Ya think?
happy hooker
Posted 1/13/2009 11:29 AM (#354735 - in reply to #354711)

it is the reg on vermilion that you cant use both the weekend days.

also another muskie tournament applied for this very same weekend on V but was asked to change it to another weekend,,ruled to change it or asked Im not sure I could find out
Jump to page : < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 >
Now viewing page 5 [30 messages per page]
Frozen
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)