Muskie Discussion Forums

Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Language | Blogs Search | Statistics | User Listing
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )
Moderators: Slamr

View previous thread :: View next thread
Jump to page : 1 2
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]

Muskie Fishing -> Lures,Tackle, and Equipment -> TI XH and XXH versus Legend Tournment H and XH

Message Subject: TI XH and XXH versus Legend Tournment H and XH
Esocks
Posted 3/6/2014 12:18 PM (#696737)
Subject: TI XH and XXH versus Legend Tournment H and XH

Hello everyone,
I'm looking to add another rod to my arsenal of St. Croix Legend Tournament Top N' Tail and Sling blade. I want this rod to be 8'6"-8'10" in length and for jerkbaits, possibly gliders, wtd, and larger baits. I thought about the Legend Tournament Big Dawg, but it's an extremely stiff rod and I prefer a rod that loads well with good flex to keep a fish pinned during a fight. I also thought about the Big Nasty, but I like full-cork 18" handles and I can't imagine having the grip extended on a Big Nasty resulting in a cumbersome 9'4" rod(I have both my Top N' Tail and Slingblade handles extended to 18"). My question is: How does the TI 8'6" XH action compare to the H action Slingblade? Is the rod softer or stiffer, does it offer an application the Slingblade does not? My other idea was a TI 8'6" XXH(16" full cork handle) with the handle extend 2" to match the length on my St. Croix Slingblade. How does the Ti XXH action compare to the Big Dawg? Is the Ti XXH more or less stiff than then Big Dawg?

Thanks
kodiak
Posted 3/6/2014 12:30 PM (#696741 - in reply to #696737)
Subject: Re: TI XH and XXH versus Legend Tournment H and XH

get the big dawg.
Landry
Posted 3/6/2014 2:08 PM (#696790 - in reply to #696737)

The TI xxh feels heavier overall than the big dawg but it has more tip flex and slower overall action.
It is a great big bait rod.
I think the TI xxh would be too similar to the sling blade IMO.
The standard TI handle is plenty long.
I use my xxh for dawgs, pounders and hard or bucketheads.
bowhunter29
Posted 3/6/2014 2:23 PM (#696799 - in reply to #696737)

If you don't want a stiff rod, stay away from the Big Dawg (it's one of my personal favorites though). You'll find that all of the St Croix rods will be faster in action and have a stiffer tip than the TI rods. I like LT's and TI's and have both in my arsenal.

"I prefer a rod that loads well with good flex to keep a fish pinned during a fight", "I like full-cork 18" handles"
Both of the above quotes from you describe TI rods. As far as which one to get, that depends on what weight baits you'll be throwing and a bit of personal preference. I like my XH for baits in the 2-4oz range and my XXH for anything heavier than 4oz. You can buy an XH and an XXH for the price of an LT though...

jeremy

MuskieCat94
Posted 3/6/2014 4:02 PM (#696818 - in reply to #696737)
Subject: RE: TI XH and XXH versus Legend Tournment H and XH

big dawg, i was worried it would be too stiff but its perfect for what i like... jeremy made me a sick rod out of the big dawg!! great rod builder
eightweight
Posted 3/6/2014 5:08 PM (#696837 - in reply to #696737)

If you have the option and want to consider one take a look at the Throne Predator lords as you can order and length and handle, I looked at a sling blade at 8 ft 6 in and the price was 359.00 I walked over to Thorne and the Predator was the one I liked it started at 370.00 ? Easily made my mind up right there ?

Bill
Esocks
Posted 3/6/2014 9:56 PM (#696898 - in reply to #696790)

Landry - 3/6/2014 2:08 PM

I think the TI xxh would be too similar to the sling blade IMO.

Landry, I believe you meant that Ti XH is too similar to the Slingblade?

Bill, you have me wondering about a Thorne Bros custom rod now. It doesn't help that I live only 15 minutes away from Thorne Bros! I saw on their website the 9' Big Nasty blank is available in cobalt pearl blue. I could have Thorne Bros build me a 9' or possibly 8'10"(cut 2" off the butt end) Big Nasty with 18" full-cork grip... Then I would have the 18" rear-handle I prefer and I wouldn't be over 9' which I'm trying to avoid....
gordonmann69
Posted 3/7/2014 1:18 PM (#697050 - in reply to #696737)

I used to own 6 SC rods for musky. Sold all but one and moved into TI rods. Just personal preference but I like the TI XXH rods more for my med/heavy jerkbaits. Heavy rod but not a pool stick. 86 or 9 XXH will be perfect for you and with the money saved buy a good reel. These TI rods load up perfectly and throw lures a country mile.
Nershi
Posted 3/7/2014 2:16 PM (#697065 - in reply to #696737)

Not to steal your thread but I have a couple questions on the TI's.

Would you go wtih an XXH or XH for throwing blades? I am going to be pairing with a tranx PG. I will occassionally throw rubber and big cranks but it's main purpose is blades.

Will I be able to toss small blades-8's and 6's with an XXH? Thanks
Tackle Industries
Posted 3/7/2014 3:51 PM (#697099 - in reply to #696737)

I use some of the highest quality high tech materials in the industry to make my blanks. They come from high tech USA & Japanese companies so why would my rods not be as good? In short, my rods cost less for the following reasons:
1) I started my company and priced my tackle so everyone can afford them, not just people with extra disposable income. I realize I could charge $225+ for my rods but why? I have had people from all walks of life thank me for my rods, not just because they are affordable but because they are good rods.
2) I spend very little on advertising and this can add an easy $30-$40 a rod if you advertise on TV, Magazines, buy big name guides to rep your rods, etc.
3) The rods are assembled overseas on primarily up to date German and Italian made rod manufacturing equipment. This saves another $20-$30 a rod. And I give props to SC on keeping production in the USA. Any other musky rod company that says they are Made in the USA (IMO) should be making their musky rods on a SC blank and assembling in the USA. Otherwise they are making their rods on overseas blanks and assembling them in the USA.
4) I handle all of the design, production, accounting, etc for my company and this really helps keep my prices down.
5) I own all of my own warehouses. This shaves off another $10-$15 a rod just for inventory storage costs.

So, IMO its more like a BMW 6 series vs a BMW M3...
Tackle Industries
Posted 3/7/2014 3:54 PM (#697100 - in reply to #697065)

Nershi,

Most of my customers like the XH for blades. You can throw smaller lures with the XXH but you need to adjust your reel casting drag or you will birds-nest your reel throwing smaller lures. I use my XXH for double 8s, 7" Suicks, etc but again, I adjust my casting drag.

James
Esocks
Posted 3/7/2014 5:33 PM (#697158 - in reply to #696737)

Thanks for all the replies thus far, it's greatly appreciated. I'm actually leaning towards having Thorne Brothers build me a custom Big Nasty on the SC4 cobalt blue blank. I'm thinking the 4M90HF blank with 19" full-cork rear grip and the same palm-reel seat that comes on the St. Croix Big Nasty. I have never owned a Thorne Brothers custom rod. How would the quality/craftsmanship of a Thorne Brother built Big Nasty compare to the St. Croix Legend Tournament Series? Obviously, it's the same blank, but what about other components? Does Thorne offer any kind of warranty for craftsmanship on their custom rod builds? It's nice having a factory lifetime warranty with St. Croix Legend Tournaments..
Landry
Posted 3/8/2014 1:29 PM (#697397 - in reply to #696737)

My opinion: Save your money and. It two TI rods. One xh and one xxh. Keep the one u like it both.
I am confident u will like them.
4amuskie
Posted 3/8/2014 3:01 PM (#697422 - in reply to #697397)

Landry - 3/8/2014 1:29 PM

My opinion: Save your money and. It two TI rods. One xh and one xxh. Keep the one u like it both.

x2!!!
eightweight
Posted 3/8/2014 5:03 PM (#697438 - in reply to #697422)

X3 as then you have both !!!!

4amuskie - 3/8/2014 3:01 PM

Landry - 3/8/2014 1:29 PM

x2!!!
4amuskie
Posted 3/8/2014 6:46 PM (#697462 - in reply to #697438)

So James....whens the 10ft rods coming out in XXH. Really need one!!!
Dave8121
Posted 3/8/2014 8:05 PM (#697481 - in reply to #696737)

10 footer please!
backdraft
Posted 3/8/2014 8:16 PM (#697483 - in reply to #697438)

X4

Backdraft
Tackle Industries
Posted 3/8/2014 9:31 PM (#697502 - in reply to #697462)

Either a musky 9'6" or 10' telescopic XH is on my list once I get my bass and walleye rods done. It would have to be a tele though as a 1pc would cost $70-$90 to ship in the USA.
Bill Schwartz
Posted 3/9/2014 8:15 AM (#697531 - in reply to #697158)

Esocks

If your concerned about quality, Thorne Bros. rods are second to none! They have been building my rods for me since 1989 and I've had one cork handle split on me. I sent it back, they fixed it and I got it back the same week. On your first post you said that you add to the handle length. I would be careful on the warranty if you alter a rod.

They did a Big Nasty for me @ 9'8" with a 18" flared handle and it's become on of my favorite rods to use. It is pretty stiff so you might want to look into a Sling Blade,H Predator or a "C" Series blank. If your only 15 minutes away I would recommend going over there and checking them out yourself.
With rods, "You get what you pay for" and sometimes getting 2 rods for the price of 1 might not be the best way to go when you want things YOUR way.
mosquitofogger
Posted 3/9/2014 8:35 AM (#697536 - in reply to #696737)

go wth the ti rods they are second to none and very affordable and james customer service is outstanding if u have any problems
BenR
Posted 3/9/2014 8:40 AM (#697538 - in reply to #696737)

I have a hard time believing much of the made in America claims these days, especially when high end blanks show up in packaging from Mexico for example:-)
Flambeauski
Posted 3/9/2014 8:38 PM (#697754 - in reply to #696737)

None of SC blanks made in Mexico are available to rodbuilders. If you can find a SC blank (not finished rod) that was made in Mexico I'd love to see it.
Sidejack
Posted 3/9/2014 8:52 PM (#697764 - in reply to #696737)

James, I thought yer rods were a few ounces less than comparable St. Croix models.
Please "weigh" in if otherwise.
Esocks
Posted 3/23/2014 7:27 PM (#701554 - in reply to #697158)

Thank you very much for all the valuable-feedback. I'm going to order a custom 9' Big Nasty from Thorne Brothers. I'm thinking 9' Big Nasty blank with 19" or 20" full-cork rear handle.
muskyhunter47
Posted 3/23/2014 8:01 PM (#701568 - in reply to #696737)

Good choice going to thorne bros. They have never let me down .
5th lake Brad
Posted 3/23/2014 8:02 PM (#701569 - in reply to #701554)

Esocks - 3/23/2014 7:27 PM

Thank you very much for all the valuable-feedback. I'm going to order a custom 9' Big Nasty from Thorne Brothers. I'm thinking 9' Big Nasty blank with 19" or 20" full-cork rear handle.

That's a great choice. Go to Thorne Bros with an open mind and talk to Lonnie. Don't rule out a predator. You'll be able to hold most of the rods with reels on them and see what you like.
Turkeyt
Posted 3/24/2014 5:44 PM (#701778 - in reply to #697099)

Most of the St. Croix are made in USA. The tag on 2 of the TI rods I have says made in China??
Tackle Industries
Posted 3/24/2014 6:12 PM (#701788 - in reply to #701778)

Turkeyt - 3/24/2014 5:44 PM

Most of the St. Croix are made in USA. The tag on 2 of the TI rods I have says made in China??

Correct and from what I know in this industry, you will not find any other truly "made in USA" musky rods with the exception of St Croix. So, unless a rod is made on a USA made SC blank, the blank (and most of the components probably...) were made overseas and assembled in the USA. To me these are not "made in the USA" musky rods and should not be marked as one but I don't make the rules, the FTC does and their rules are vague to say the least... SC is the only musky rod that deserves the honor of truly being marked as made in the USA IMO. With that said, I made my rods using high quality components and raw materials but had them rolled and assembled overseas so everyone can afford to go fishing, not just guys who can afford a $300-$500 rod. Nothing wrong with buying a high $$$ rod but many can't afford to do it and still take care of their family financial needs. Also, if I had my rods built here on SC blanks or assembled in the USA on overseas blanks my prices would be a min. of $100 higher which defeats the purpose of me making affordable quality tackle. I have looked into it extensively. BTW, where are your reels, electronics, fishing cloths, terminal tackle, many of your lures, etc made? My guess is much of it is not made in the USA.....

James
PS-Hope my post does not read rudely, just pointing out some facts.

Turkeyt
Posted 3/24/2014 8:36 PM (#701831 - in reply to #696737)

Your post does not sound rude but, saying your rods are made overseas using German and Italian equipment does not tell where they are made. The TI rods have no stamping on the rod blank showing where they are made. Most companies state on their rod blanks where they are made. The only way you can cut costs and sell cheaper is get them made cheaper. That is what St Croix did with their Mojo and Triumph. They farm them out to the pennies on the dollar labor market... right?
Jump to page : 1 2
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)