Muskie Discussion Forums

Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Language | Blogs Search | Statistics | User Listing
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )
Moderators: Slamr

View previous thread :: View next thread
Jump to page : 1 2
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]

Muskie Fishing -> Lures,Tackle, and Equipment -> Casting 10's

Message Subject: Casting 10's
Riverrat351
Posted 2/11/2014 9:54 PM (#691050)
Subject: Casting 10's

I been reading multiple threads about "The best reel for double 10's", but I don't/won't throw them enough to buy a Tranx. That being said, I've got reels from a 400B (5.1), to a Revo Toro 50 (5.4), to a NaCl 60HS (6.4). What are people's opinions on the Calcutta with a power handle for double 10's? Or the Revo 50 with the power handle? I've already ruled out the 60HS. I really haven't heard much mention of the Calcutta at least, and with the gear ratio it seems the most likely for "ease of use". I'm not looking to burn them, just throw them here and there when I feel they are the best tool for the job. Thanks
Propster
Posted 2/11/2014 10:26 PM (#691056 - in reply to #691050)
Subject: Re: Casting 10's

With a power handle especially, and considering you're not looking to burn them, the 400B will work just fine.
MuskieFever
Posted 2/11/2014 10:50 PM (#691061 - in reply to #691050)

My NaCl 5.4 60 does a great job with the powerhandle moving DGCs. You can get them pretty fast but not super fast. Like Hamer says, "you gotta have the guns."
FAT-SKI
Posted 2/11/2014 10:59 PM (#691065 - in reply to #691061)

I would say one of the best burning reels out there is the Diawa Saltist. Yes, it is somewhat of a tank.. but not quite as big as the Tranx and no where near the cost. the new 'black' version is superior for many reasons, and thus the one I would get if you're looking to really get into the larger bucktails. I own one of the older ones and I love it. Brings em in fast and it doesn't take much effort, more then the TranX. But that reel is just straight ridiculous with it's crazy capabilities
Propster
Posted 2/11/2014 11:00 PM (#691066 - in reply to #691050)

He said he's got a 6.4 and he's right, he doesn't want to use that.
miket55
Posted 2/11/2014 11:32 PM (#691071 - in reply to #691050)

That Revo ought to be OK.
genesisperformance
Posted 2/12/2014 5:19 AM (#691076 - in reply to #691066)

Propster - 2/11/2014 11:00 PM

Ya, I have one too but don't use it for blades as I don't want to burn it up every season.. the 5.4/ power handle worked awesome last year for me.
btfish
Posted 2/12/2014 6:25 AM (#691080 - in reply to #691076)

We throw 10's a lot (we have one on all the time during our entire 5 week trip to LOTW) plus the rest of the year.

We started with (lower quality reels that work for other baits) and then went with the Revo 60 winch. We got ride of the 60 as it is to large for us to palm and went to a 50 winch. I then changed out the gears to 6.4 and that was much better. We still have (2) 50's with 6.4 gears that we have been using for (going on 4 years) with no problems. We also have a 50 with 5.4 gears which to be honest has become my go to reel (it is the perfect balance of speed and power)

BUT: The best thing I did was added the Super cranker reel handles made by Rocky's Lures with the cork handles. You can get them from several places. They are more efficient than a single handle power handle because they have 2 handles however I think they are almost 6" long so you really get some leverage. These handles are game changers.........

But don't forget your rod. Lots of guys throw 10s with rods that are simple not heavy enough and you then get lots of lateral force on you hand during the figure 8. Any reel will bring in a 10 if you point your rod tip at the lure, it is the figure 8 that makes guys have sore hands/and wrist.

I have tried lots of rods and the TI 9 foot 2 pc in xxh has become my favorite and it will not break the bank. The 2 pc is nice for travel purposes and the heavy back bone, and large diameter cork preventes the hands form getting sore. Lots of guys have gone to the St Croix Big Dawg over the Sling blade for the same reason.

I know the Saltist and Tranx are great reels. The Saltist has a tendancy to backlash which will not work for my son or other beginners I like to take. The Tranx is great, but it is very large which again will not work for my son. The Curado is a sweet reel too but the reel repair guys have told me the Revo is a bit heavier, but we have one of them too and like it.

I have been on the fence to buy a Saltist but every time I read the reviews I talk myself out of it..

10s are a great bait and I have experimented with how to throw them the best for the past 5+ years. Different things work for different people but the above works great for me.

I think you have the reel you need in the Revo 50 5.4, but add the Super Cranker handle and it will be much better. If you can't locate on, PM and I will help you find one.

Have a good day
Brad P
Posted 2/12/2014 8:21 AM (#691093 - in reply to #691050)

If you hold the foregrip the palmability of the reel is really a moot point. Plus, you have superior leverage on hook sets. Also makes the transition to the 8 easier, which is a big deal on 10s.

10s are all about speed, torque, and durability when it comes to reels. The general rule of thumb is that in order to get "excellent" performance is all 3 categories you have to spend money. The Saltist is probably the lowest price point reel that will give you all three categories, as stated it does have some backlash issues. I ran one my first season and burned through a gear as well as a the drag washers. Diawa fixed it in the offseason, but I have not had the same durability challenges with Shimano products, YMMV.

A reel not listed here that is awesome with 10s is 14NA Trinidad. No levelwind so it will have issues when casting into the wind, plus you have to pay attention to your line stack. However, it is a light weight reel relative to some of the other stuff in this category. It has 36" per crank with decent torque and no durability concerns. Great reel to burn bucktails IMO. You can go custom on the rod and create a 10 burning set up that will feel like H bass gear. That makes a big difference on the whole endurance thing, but you have to pay to play...
Masqui-ninja
Posted 2/12/2014 8:25 AM (#691094 - in reply to #691093)

A Revo with 5.4 gears is perfect for 10's.
Riverrat351
Posted 2/12/2014 9:11 AM (#691108 - in reply to #691094)

Thanks guys, I appreciate the help! Looks like I have a little experimenting to do this spring (if it ever gets here).
BNelson
Posted 2/12/2014 9:59 AM (#691126 - in reply to #691050)

I guess my first question would be to your statement "I been reading multiple threads about "The best reel for double 10's", but I don't/won't throw them enough to buy a Tranx"
WHY? best bait to have in the water on pretty much every musky water known... why not have a tranx and throw them more?
Riverrat351
Posted 2/12/2014 11:45 AM (#691148 - in reply to #691126)

To reply to BN, I guess because the amount of time I do have throwing them I've had limited success. The one fish I did hook up with nipped at the back of the tail and I'm not even sure I had hooks in it because of how hard the bait moves through the water to begin with, fighting the blades. You can cast it out and set the hook and make a tight drag slip, which makes it more difficult to pull through the mouth of a fish when it does hit. This was with a Toro HS w/ shimano power handle (drag tight) and an 8' XH TI rod. I've got multiple other lures I like to get wet that I have more confidence in, or just plain like to fish with.
I'll buy a Tranx when you invite me down to fish the spot that you lit them up in league last summer! lol
curleytail
Posted 2/12/2014 12:13 PM (#691154 - in reply to #691148)

Riverrat351 - 2/12/2014 11:45 AM

To reply to BN, I guess because the amount of time I do have throwing them I've had limited success. The one fish I did hook up with nipped at the back of the tail and I'm not even sure I had hooks in it because of how hard the bait moves through the water to begin with, fighting the blades. You can cast it out and set the hook and make a tight drag slip, which makes it more difficult to pull through the mouth of a fish when it does hit. This was with a Toro HS w/ shimano power handle (drag tight) and an 8' XH TI rod. I've got multiple other lures I like to get wet that I have more confidence in, or just plain like to fish with.
I'll buy a Tranx when you invite me down to fish the spot that you lit them up in league last summer! lol

They probably aren't for everybody, but I catch a number of fish on 10's, and don't even use them THAT much. It sounds like your one hit was just a hint of a nibble. Most times when fish hit them they stop the bait and the blades stop spinning. Setting the hook with double 10's is a non issue, really.

With that said, I don't own a reel that generates more than 24" line pickup per crank. Though I'm sure the faster, high horsepower reels can be a benefit, the reels I've used with power handles and moderate pickup make it easy to fish the baits all day, and seem to generate enough speed to catch at least a fair amount of fish on them.

Just like any bait, it's hard to have confidence in something until it's caught a fish or two for you.

Tucker
BNelson
Posted 2/12/2014 12:21 PM (#691155 - in reply to #691154)

speed kills.. speed is a trigger.. plain and simple not using a true speed reel at times will for sure cost you fish... but i get it.. confidence is key.. the more you use and catch fish on them the better... i turned a guy on to a speed reel last summer that spends almost every day on the water in Madison...and he thanked me for it afterwards..

oh and that spot is about 200 acres and no secret... ; )
gumbygold
Posted 2/12/2014 12:24 PM (#691156 - in reply to #691050)

Stupid question. Does 10 refer to the blade size?
dami0101
Posted 2/12/2014 12:33 PM (#691159 - in reply to #691050)

Last year I had a 400 B and Saltist that I used for 10's and would switch between depending upon the situation. I had no problems with the 400 B for 10's and I found it easy to bulge with, but I think I naturally crank faster then a lot of other people because when it came to the Saltist I actually had to really back off otherwise I would blow the blades out of the water. I didn't use a power handle on the 400 but I would imagine with the addition of a power handle it would be a perfect 10's reel. I ended up selling my Saltist only due to the lack of a spool brake so I didn't like how it handled lighter baits.
curleytail
Posted 2/12/2014 12:42 PM (#691162 - in reply to #691050)

Brad,

How often would you say you're using a speed reel to smoke doubles in vs using a standard speed reel at a moderate pace?

I've caught plenty at moderate speeds but have been wondering about faster reels too. Just need to consider som options. I'd have a hard time dropping the cash on a Tranx.

Tucker
BNelson
Posted 2/12/2014 12:45 PM (#691165 - in reply to #691162)

during the day from May to September, i use the tranx 90% of the time.. you can go 'slower' w the tranx but you can't go faster w non speed reels without looking like popeye...at night I use a Winch 100% of the time. In the fall or days where i want to slow roll and get deep i will use the winch...
Sorgy
Posted 2/12/2014 12:59 PM (#691170 - in reply to #691156)

After using both the 20 and 30 size Diawa Saltist for 3 or 4 years I took the plunge on a Tranx HG last year-- Killer deal at the Georges MN Muskie Expo. I had used 6500 Abu Garcias going back to the 1980's until I upgraded to the Saltist's

The reel is a casting reel- flat out- It is built for the caster.

I had a friend using a gold Trinidad 14 ( great reel- not great caster) and I was throwing the Tranx HG on the same rod. Casting down wind or cross wind I was typiclally longer on the cast by 20 feet. Once we turned and were casting into the wind he was picking out backlashes most of the time while I continued to cast and and fish away. My Diawa Saltist were great reels- just not great casters- they had issues casting into the wind as well. They also needed some repair several times each season as I am hard on reels. I have not heard of alot of problems with the Tranx reels-yet.
I am taking the reel into Georges MN Muskie Expo again this year for a cleaning by me overseen by the Shimano staff. One of the best deals at the expo-FREE
The reel is large but does not fish any bigger than the Diawa Saltist- No an issue for me it was acually much more comfortable to fish with.

The reel is an incredible reel for working large rubber with. It picks up slack fast. For Bucktails - speed kills!

I am now in the market for a Tranx PG just because of how impressed I was with the casting ability and that I want to throw more DBL 13's.

I wish they had a clicker

Good Luck

Steve
Musky Brian
Posted 2/12/2014 2:00 PM (#691187 - in reply to #691170)

I used 400 b's for quite a few years on big blades. Thought they were a little demanding for heavy use on your hands/wrist without the power handle, but when adding it certainly was sufficient. With that being said I do not think those reels are suited for those big blades in the long run in terms of durability.

Also after switching to the Tranx a few years back I would never go back....night and day difference and well worth the money
Sidejack
Posted 2/12/2014 2:16 PM (#691193 - in reply to #691050)
Subject: RE: Casting 10's

Riverrat351 - 2/11/2014 9:54 PM
I been reading multiple threads about "The best reel for double 10's", but I don't/won't throw them enough to buy a Tranx. That being said, I've got reels from a 400B (5.1), to a Revo Toro 50 (5.4), to a NaCl 60HS (6.4). What are people's opinions on the Calcutta with a power handle for double 10's? Or the Revo 50 with the power handle? I've already ruled out the 60HS. I really haven't heard much mention of the Calcutta at least, and with the gear ratio it seems the most likely for "ease of use". I'm not looking to burn them, just throw them here and there when I feel they are the best tool for the job. Thanks

Revo or 400B should be fine. 

brianT
Posted 2/12/2014 7:31 PM (#691256 - in reply to #691076)

genesisperformance - 2/12/2014 6:19 AM

Propster - 2/11/2014 11:00 PM

Ya, I have one too but don't use it for blades as I don't want to burn it up every season.. the 5.4/ power handle worked awesome last year for me.

I just picked up a 5.4 for throwing double 10s. Which slot on the power handle do you use and do you think is makes a big difference either way?
JLR
Posted 2/12/2014 9:04 PM (#691277 - in reply to #691050)

Bnelson - Which Tranx are you using?
BNelson
Posted 2/12/2014 9:05 PM (#691279 - in reply to #691277)

Hg
muskyrat
Posted 2/13/2014 7:30 AM (#691320 - in reply to #691050)

I have used old 7000abu with no problems. Agree speed is important. That's why I generally retrieve double 10's with my outboard mostly. Funny I never get tired or tennis elbow.
Sidejack
Posted 2/13/2014 7:48 AM (#691323 - in reply to #691320)

muskyrat - 2/13/2014 7:30 AM
I have used old 7000abu with no problems. Agree speed is important. That's why I generally retrieve double 10's with my outboard mostly. Funny I never get tired or tennis elbow.

The 7000's were the standard for burning back in the day. Nothing picked up more line per crank with the same horsepower but a bear to palm.
To this day, whenever I see one my pinkie & ring finger have a flashback and lock up for a while. Same thing happens when I hear Led Zep.
No wait, that's a blackout..
musky-skunk
Posted 2/13/2014 9:05 AM (#691340 - in reply to #691050)

BNelson, do you have both or just an HG? I'm finally upgrading one of my 4 saltists this year and I was informed for burning 10's I'd want the PG. Seeing this I'm second guessing that, HG holds up good to super fast burning for you, and I'm sure it's better than the saltist regardless but does the high gear fight you much at high speed or still fairly smooth? I'm only dropping the money on one tranx... want to make sure I spend it wisely
BNelson
Posted 2/13/2014 9:49 AM (#691347 - in reply to #691050)

I have just the HG but I have used the PG and imo I prefer the HG.. both work yes but I like the HG better and i feel i can reel them faster ..PG is great for Super models but imo the PG is more of a one trick pony.. HG does it all....
musky-skunk
Posted 2/13/2014 9:52 AM (#691348 - in reply to #691050)

Thanks! HG will probably be the way I go
Jump to page : 1 2
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)