Muskie Discussion Forums

Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Language | Blogs Search | Statistics | User Listing
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )
Moderators: Slamr

View previous thread :: View next thread
Jump to page : 1 2
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]

Muskie Fishing -> General Discussion -> Tube Baits

Message Subject: Tube Baits
mavmskyb8
Posted 2/4/2003 2:43 PM (#58556)
Subject: Tube Baits

I know there has been plenty of soft plastics around for larger fish for quite a while. And I've heard that they work very well in spring. I'm looking for some testimonials on the big 8" tubes. Have folks been having alot of success? Bouncing them off the bottom or ripping them? Or both? Any expierences would be greatly appreciated.
ddfenner
Posted 2/4/2003 5:02 PM (#58575 - in reply to #58556)
Subject: RE: Tube Baits

I began fishing the Lindy Tiger Tubes last summer and ended up spending many days in fishing just this lure...

My experimentation lead me to believe that your imagination will limit you as to how you can fish these lures.

I found out that by reeling them back as fast as you can along weed edges or over weed tops, muskies will chase that lure down with a vengeance. Your lure speed will be faster than any of your other lures and this fast speed just triggers muskys when they are in the mood.

Flutter them down into pockets and fishing through milfoil type weeds is very weedless if your gentle. Ripping weeds is fun to as you get that dragster explosion for the start and the glide for the end.

Pendulum down deep weed edges...

Cast out into deep basin waters and let float down to the bottom, using a countdown and line watching method for detecting the free fall drop strikes. Then slowly reel back, twitching the rod to walk the dog down deep.

Walk the dog over weeds...

Take all your other lure presentations and duplicate with these Lindy Tiger Tubes and you will indeed see their power...

Edited by ddfenner 2/4/2003 5:03 PM
RAZE1
Posted 2/4/2003 5:38 PM (#58579 - in reply to #58556)

True DD,
Years ago I tried to convince myself that I thought I knew what a fish would hit and what they wouldn't. I was wrong then. Today I find it to be productive to keep an open mind and let the fish do the talkin..I hope I can stay humble and realize I don't have all the answers when it comes to the persuit of the sometimes elusive one.

Last summer I was fishing "Chautauqua" on the 4th of July. I was down by the bridge so I decided to stop in the Redwood Ranch. I saw some Lindy Tiger Tubes hangin on the rack and decided to give them a shot. Got in the boat and headed around the corner to Arnolds Bay. I put that tube on and made a cast. I didn't really care for the action too much and on the third cast I decided I was going to take it off as soon as it was in the boat. It was about 5 ft from the boat and WHAM. This fish hit that tube so hard, in fact, one of the hardest hits I have ever had, netted a 45"er, my first fish of the trip.
Like Doug says, "if it moves,it's food"
ddfenner
Posted 2/5/2003 10:14 AM (#58701 - in reply to #58556)

Try and impart your various jerkbait rod actions and you will begin to see the Tube doing your dances. Just remember, it's more responsive...

Marabou Bucktails are known for their flaring during retrieve and you can do this too with your retrieve. Just every so often speed up a couple of cranks and then slow down and your flaring your way back to the boat..

What I am using tubes for now is the finishing lure on a spot. If I have fished all the other make sense type of lures and come up with nothing, I fish back through with the tube. My casts cover the slow, medium, and fast retrieve speeds, then impart action, fluttering, illusions of speed and raw speed.

Develop a plan on how to fish these tubes and this translates to a number of casts. When done, move to the next spot...

sworrall
Posted 2/5/2003 10:38 AM (#58703 - in reply to #58701)

DD,
Are you using a soft wire leader?
ddfenner
Posted 2/5/2003 10:54 AM (#58706 - in reply to #58556)

Hi Steve,

I've experimented with Mason soft wire leaders, in the coated and ah natural kind and find the exposed wire to be the most effective for ripping weeds.

I've experimented with different poundage and leader lengths to see the effect on both the 6 and 8 inch Lindy Tiger Tubes, probably a hang-over effect from my days of fishing 9 inch Lunker City Sluggos...

45 - 60 pound Mason stranded exposed wire is good enough for most applications.

I make my own leaders and tie directly to the eyelet on the tube and then to a barrel swivel attached to the line...

Because of being in Minnesota most of the time, I only tried this a couple of times last year during one of my Northwestern Wisconsin trips.

But, any time you have a double header on with two in the boat, it's just a fabulous time...

What I did was rig up to Lindy tubes with 30 inch leaders, with each having a Thill Musky Slip-Bobber. I experimented with various rubber core sinkers to find the right amount of weight above the barrel to sink the bobber to a 70 percent level. It wasn't so much to try and reduce the bobber resistance, but to have enough weight as to NOT SINK the bobber, but keep the line VERTICAL in the water.

Because, I was drifting open basin waters, slow strolling for suspended muskies with the tubes..... Every so often, I would jig the Thill bobber to flare the tube tails...

My what the heck experiment netted a 43 and 46 incher within 2 minutes of each other...

For you Vilas and Oneiders out there, when you get a good wind blow, drift tubes this way and you won't have to worry about legalizing trolling laws...

Edited by ddfenner 2/5/2003 11:08 AM
spieg
Posted 2/5/2003 11:15 AM (#58709 - in reply to #58556)

ddfenner,

Have you had better success with either the 6" or 8" tubes? I plan to check some of these out this spring. I was planning on just going with the 8"s.
Luke_Chinewalker
Posted 2/5/2003 12:32 PM (#58725 - in reply to #58556)
Subject: Love em'

This spring on a lake with a nice weed flat I had the biggest fish of the year on a 8" tube. Unfortunately my netwoman wasn't too quick on the draw as she was taking a nap. I was seeing several fish on the tube after seeing nothing on ANYTHING else, in fact everyone I talked to was seeing nothing. For some reason I tried reeling it super fast and WHAM, a monster struck it just like the story above.

Edited by Luke_Chinewalker 2/5/2003 12:34 PM
ddfenner
Posted 2/5/2003 7:47 PM (#58815 - in reply to #58556)

I fish both the 6 and 8 inch tubes. Each has an advantage over the other, depending upon where your fishing.

In weeds, when I want to slow my descent, the 6 inch is lighter and the hang time is greater so I try and judge the mood of the musky.

I've followed up an 8 inch tube follow with a 6 inch cast back, to have the musky hit that... So, when tubing, a small tube is the toss back...

I will second that speed element... If you have to see for yourself before open water, head to the nearest indoor pool... Take your fastest lure - bucktail, spinnerbait - and cast it out and reel back as fast as you can. Now, do the same with a tube and it's like formula one against Nascar...

The extra speed will trigger a musky when it's in the mood...

When you get them slow, lazy follows, burn a tube back... And, I once thought 3/4 oz Rattle Traps to be fast... The tube is the fastest musky lure except for a jig/reaper or jig/sluggo, but then, we are basically talking the same thing...

Enjoy and rip a biggie this year...

Edited by ddfenner 2/5/2003 7:51 PM
Esoxalot
Posted 2/6/2003 10:09 PM (#58982 - in reply to #58706)

ddfenner,

The way you drift the tubes with a bobber is very interesting. How deep of water were you in when you caught the muskies doing this? How deep were you with the tubes? It sounds like you could almost do this like drifting a sucker while you're casting. How often do you jig the bobber to flare the tube? Sorry for all of the questions, but I'm really interested in this. I'd like to try it. Thanks.
MuskieBum
Posted 2/6/2003 10:46 PM (#58989 - in reply to #58982)

Does anybody ever push the hook into the cylinder of the tube to make it weedless? I do this all the time when fishing for smalleyes and it works great.
kly
Posted 2/7/2003 12:57 AM (#58993 - in reply to #58989)

Hi,
Just wondering if you guys could mention again the names and places to get other large tubes? pre-rigged or not.
thanks much
kly
mavmskyb8
Posted 2/7/2003 9:09 AM (#59019 - in reply to #58556)

Rollie & Helens, Cabelas, Bass Pro shop
ddfenner
Posted 2/7/2003 9:39 AM (#59023 - in reply to #58982)

Esoxalot...

Depends on the depth at which I see baitfish, along with the daily weather conditions. Sunny, warm days, bring everything shallower and darker, rainy days, everything is deeper..

I set the slip-bobber depth at the depth of the baitfish. Learn to measure your line as you move the bobber stop in 1 foot increments...

When you have wind, the waves do a lot of jigging for you... With the aid of AquaView, you can see just how much...

Thill Slip-Bobber products have taken Bobberintology to scientific levels, but they lag behind in the Musky Size Bobber department. Thill makes a wave style bobber that minimizes the bobber bounce as it has a sliver top to the bobber that extends out of the water, otherwise the rest is below the surface. They need to develop the same style of bobber for musky applications as I have observed too much wave results in too much jigging on those days muskys want to have a more horizontal riding lure...

I've drifted tubes off of slip-bobbers as deep as 65 feet... I found that the deeper your set the tube, the closer you want the slip-bobber to the boat. A musky strike on a tube can be very subtle and short-lived fished this way... In only one season fishing this way, all the quirks haven't been figured out...

Another adaptation is to fish small chubs off the treble off the tube off the slip-bobber. Now you've got the waves bobbing the slip-bobber, jigging the tube and a small sucker for scent... I've found the small live bait trailer to entice the musky to hang onto the tube longer, especially if you have a short depth setting and have the slip-bobber 20 - 30 feet away from the boat...

We have all heard about decoying muskys to a sucker and you can do that when the slip-bobber is next to the boat or away from the boat, by casting/retrieving your artifical where your bobber is...

And yes, the same setup presents live bait very effectively too..

And, don't limit these applications to just lakes...

Rivers and or moving current is AWESOME!!!!!

Where legal, and in cool water situations, I always have a Thill slip-bobber/sucker setup off the transom of the boat. I put the sucker rod in a rod holder that aims the tip to the 11 o'clock position and engage the clicker reel and set my drag very lightly...

When I leave the deep weed edge to fish further up into the flat and up to and including the inside weed edge, I hit the free spool on the sucker rod and leave the Thill/Sucker setup outside of the deep weedline..

The line pays out and drapes like a sail boat sail as you move away from the bobber... It's fishing the outside weedline, while you fish the weed flat tops, pockets and inside edge...

Now, if your really smart, you left that bobber in a pocket area of the deep weedline edge...

I have forgotten how many times, after each cast and figure 8, when I look back at MR. THILL, I have seen it go down...

In my boat, tillersville, I engage the transom trolling motor on HIGH as I reel up the slack to where the bobber was and then set the hook....

Sometimes, under negative fish moods, and post-frontal days, you just got to leave that bobber in a pocket area and let SHAMOO look at it for a while...

Edited by ddfenner 3/14/2003 1:03 PM
Krappie
Posted 2/7/2003 11:21 AM (#59035 - in reply to #58993)

Hi Kly try this website they have some giant tubes and they are pretty reasonable.

http://www.canyon-plastics.com/

catch ya later,
Krappie
Mark H.
Posted 2/7/2003 1:24 PM (#59048 - in reply to #58556)

Just read this thread for the first time...

Absolutely awesome information shared by DD...

He's on the money, this isn't B.S. My wife and I had a 7 fish day spring of 2002. All 7 were on tubes or creatures.

I rig mine very similar... also love to swim them through the new growth.

First time I tried these I ran out of super-glue trying to hold them together. There are always 4-5 packages of them in my boat at all times

Mark
ddfenner
Posted 2/7/2003 1:44 PM (#59056 - in reply to #59048)

Curly..

Flick Your Bic and melt the cuts back together...

And, lets do Rays sometime for lunch...

Edited by ddfenner 2/7/2003 1:49 PM
Mark H.
Posted 2/7/2003 3:00 PM (#59061 - in reply to #58556)

OK...now you got me wondering..?

Call me anytime,

Office, 715-834-1213
Cell, 715-579-7463

I'll buy the hot beefs...

Esoxalot
Posted 2/7/2003 9:37 PM (#59109 - in reply to #59023)

Great information, dd! Thanks a lot.
spieg
Posted 3/9/2003 1:28 PM (#63044 - in reply to #58556)

Bringing this one back to life because I have another question about the tiger tubes. Does anyone fish them without the trailer? Ive decided I dont trust the whimpy wire they incorporated with the stinger treble on these baits. Just wondering if the hookup percentage drops greatly when removing the stinger all together. If it does, I guess ill just make up some .051 replacements for their twist ties.

Thanks in advance!
Don Pfeiffer
Posted 3/10/2003 12:05 PM (#63183 - in reply to #58556)

In my seminars on jigging for muskies I explain how to float plastics under a bobber. This can be very effective. In the summer I often have one rigged and float it behind the boat and let the wind drift me along weed edges. I also do it over structure. I have it set so the creature just touches the bottom. I find if some chop on the water its better as it gives more action to the bait. The technique is called jig-a-bobbing and walleye ahglers use it when fishing more them one line. The best plastics are those that take little movement to have some action. Its for sure worth a try. Good luck

Don Pfeiffer
stephendawg
Posted 3/10/2003 12:33 PM (#63190 - in reply to #58556)

Steve,

This thread is exactly what this website is all about! I have so much to learn about this fish and appreciate everyone's experience and willingness to share info. As I learned with bass many years ago... if it moves, it may be food. As unorthodox as some fishing techniques appear, it's fun to see how creative people can be while trying to get a hook inside the fish's mouth. Keep up the good work.

ddfenner
Posted 3/10/2003 3:25 PM (#63212 - in reply to #58556)

For those musky fishing river rats out there... The Lindners, Jim and Al, are using these tube baits more and more and more and more each passing season...

Learn to rig the Lindy Tube woodless/weedless and float it with the current on a bobber...

You will find yourselves anchored in a boat, covering lanes in the water column/river width, by casting and then letting your free spool give line as this setup floats down river...

Tip the tube with small bait/scent, and just get bit...

Posted 3/10/2003 3:36 PM (#63213 - in reply to #63190)

Here's something else to think about.

Night fishing last summer, I was on a very small spot that was holding a number of nice fish. We approached in stealth mode, used the "perfect partner" technique, and still could not get any of those fish to hit. Subtle surface baits, noisy surface baits, bucktails, cranks, and you name it. After 20 minutes of using different lures, my brother ties on an 8" Tiger Tube. I said, "You're nuts, they'll never find that thing in this darkness. You're wasting your time." He cast anyway, like all good brothers would. Pumped the rod a couple times, and set the hook. I thought he was joking, until the thing boiled the water. He landed a nice 44"er a couple of minutes later.

Wouldn't have believed it if I didn't see it for myself. Apparently, tubes work under lots of different conditions.

BrianF.
Twin Cities
spieg
Posted 3/10/2003 10:30 PM (#63266 - in reply to #58556)

Any opinions/experience with fishing the tiger tubes without the treble? It doesnt look like it would be a problem at all with the 6" tubes, but the 8" tubes look like they may end up getting short struck a bit. Anyone tried this?
ddfenner
Posted 3/11/2003 8:58 AM (#63291 - in reply to #58556)

Actually, I use a 5 inch, salted bass style tube as a grub attachment to the 8 inch Lindy Tube treble hook. I then use Land O'Lakes bucktail scent on this trailer and have found most musky hits bite the trailer/treble...

This also adds another 5 inches and now you have the lightest 13 inch musky lure on the market...

Picture is worth a thousand words, but I don't have the slightest idea on how to post an attachment out here on muskiefirst... Any ideas?

Edited by ddfenner 3/11/2003 4:38 PM
Esoxalot
Posted 3/11/2003 2:52 PM (#63334 - in reply to #63291)

DDFenner,

If you can't post a picture, can you just explain how you attach the 5 inch tube to the treble of the 8 inch tube? That sounds like something I want to try. Thanks.
ddfenner
Posted 3/11/2003 4:42 PM (#63347 - in reply to #63334)

Imagine your trigger finger is the head of the 5 inch tube.

Imagine impaling a treble hook through your finger from the fingerprint through your finger nail.

The head of the tube will position itself in the bend area of the treble and ride in-line with the Lindy Tube.

When you walk the dog, the big tube bends one way, the little tube the other...

email me at [email protected] and I can email you the .jpeg file I have showing this setup..

To the webmaster of this site, your posting of images to this board is ridiculous...

Esoxalot
Posted 3/11/2003 7:31 PM (#63387 - in reply to #63347)

DD,

Do you usually use the same color trailer tube or do you think it is best to contrast colors?
spieg
Posted 3/11/2003 8:24 PM (#63398 - in reply to #58556)

Here's ddfenners tiger tube mod!

Jump to page : 1 2
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)