Muskie Discussion Forums

Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Language | Blogs Search | Statistics | User Listing
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )
Moderators: Slamr

View previous thread :: View next thread
Jump to page : 1 2
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]

Muskie Fishing -> General Discussion -> Tennis Elbow

Message Subject: Tennis Elbow
Schultz345
Posted 8/7/2013 5:15 PM (#656050)
Subject: Tennis Elbow

I'm still young, which is why I'm concerned about my elbow acting up the last few weeks. I did a little reading, and the symptoms sound like Tennis Elbow.

I'm just wondering if any of you have had to deal with this and what you found works best. I've been fishing less for the last few weeks to try and nurse it, but it seems to come back after a short amount of casting.

I was thinking an elbow brace might help, but there isn't much out there for a remedy online aside from ice and surgery if it persists.

Anything would be appreciated. I've got about a month of casting left before I can start sitting on my keester and watching a bobber.
jonnysled
Posted 8/7/2013 5:26 PM (#656051 - in reply to #656050)
Subject: Re: Tennis Elbow

yah, had it bad a few years back. there are some who will come on and tell you some aids, but bottom line is the only thing that helps is rest and unfortunately it takes quite a bit of time.

technology helps ... high speed reel with good power-handle paired with the right rod.

with just a month left just use aleve. i had it bad enough when i had it that it kept me from sleeping some nights ...
schleprock82
Posted 8/7/2013 5:31 PM (#656053 - in reply to #656050)

Try downsizing your equipment. Throw with the lightest set up you have and try smaller bucktails or top waters you can fish slow. You could always try a little trolling if you are in an area where it is legal. I have to do this every once in a while. My back goes out on me when I least expect it from an injury at work when I was younger and thought I could lift anything. Baby your elbow for a week or two and you should be fine. They do make elbow braces but have never worn one. Even when your elbow starts feeling better do not go right into throwing pounders. build yourself up slowly!
Schultz345
Posted 8/7/2013 5:32 PM (#656054 - in reply to #656050)

Yea, same deal here. If I roll over on that side I wake myself up. I've been icing after I'm out fishing and that seems to help, but sometimes when I'm out there the pain really takes away from how much fishing I can get in. It seems like figure-8's are what really gets it acting up, which is unfortunate because that's where all my luck has been coming from this year.

I might just have to do more trolling and try some bondy jigging until we can start tossing meat out there.
Schultz345
Posted 8/7/2013 5:36 PM (#656055 - in reply to #656050)

As for equipment, I was using a toro NACL 60 until it took a crap on me about three weeks ago. Switched back to the Cardiff and started noticing pain about a week later. That could be part of the problem.
jonnysled
Posted 8/7/2013 5:45 PM (#656058 - in reply to #656050)

yah, the Cardiff isn't helping you.

if you can't swing a tranx, get the daiwa saltist on a 9' rod. also, learn to cast left-handed and reduce the body movements you make. when you retrieve try to relax your rod hand and DON'T palm the reel. teach yourself to hold the foregrip.

there is a reason why fat-guys can outfish skinny guys for days on end and it's not because they are stronger. they learned to play the game with fewer body movements. i'm sure you are doing lots of this already but if not start trying to figure some of the tricks out.

i learned from a guy who shouldn't have been able to outfish me, but he did. now i can outrun some guys who should be able to bury me.

trolling is for sallies ... :0)
Allstate48
Posted 8/7/2013 6:23 PM (#656066 - in reply to #656050)
Subject: RE: Tennis Elbow

Go to the doctor, and get some shots. I had it bad enough, I couldn't touch my nose. Shots got me back going, but one of them still pops out once in a while. So I just roll the tendon back in, and wear a brace on my fore arm for a while. Not fun. Doug
BenR
Posted 8/7/2013 6:30 PM (#656068 - in reply to #656050)

See a good PT, they can help you fix the form that is causing the issue. This type of pain outside of injury is from bad habits or from we have acquired over the years, even at a younger age BR
Pointerpride102
Posted 8/7/2013 7:22 PM (#656077 - in reply to #656050)

Stop playing tennis in your spare time
milje
Posted 8/7/2013 7:37 PM (#656079 - in reply to #656050)

Hmmm..... After looking it up, it sounds almost exactly like what I'm dealing with. Only thing that bothers me is running a jerk bait or giant jackpot, so if it doesn't go away by fall it'll suck, but right now I can deal with it. Maybe after ice up I'll see a doctor, no way I'd let them do something now that would take me off the lake for a few weeks.
TC24
Posted 8/7/2013 7:37 PM (#656081 - in reply to #656077)

I use to have it all the time. Just too much flick when you extend your arms. Tuck your casting arm above your elbow against the side of your rib when you cast to give your elbow a break. As mentioned, rest, ibuprofen and ice will help. Also another option, which is relatively inexpensive, is called a TENS unit. You can buy em online. It relieves in inflammation in your tendon with light electrical stimulation. It doesn't "solve" the problem, but relieves the nagging pain.
Posted 8/7/2013 8:01 PM (#656084 - in reply to #656050)

Suffered for a year one cortizone shot two days later i was fine.0723

Edited by 0723 8/7/2013 8:02 PM
klcb
Posted 8/7/2013 9:44 PM (#656105 - in reply to #656050)

from my experience there is no fix for tennis elbow,usually will run its course 2 or 3 months at a time.i could not pick up a glass of water without using 2 hands.very painfull.cortizone shot is a quick patch,not a cure,i suggest to give it rest,wear a arm wrap on the forearm just below the elbow and get it tight but not cut the circulation off and I took aleeve,really helped a lot.the less you strain on the tendon the quicker the heal.it really sucks when you set the hook and have to change your underwear!!! lots of luck,james.
fishpoop
Posted 8/8/2013 1:20 AM (#656133 - in reply to #656050)

Another problem with Cortisone shots is that you have a lifetime maximum dosage that you can receive. Once you hit that then no more Cortisone but I don't know what that level is. Ask your doctor. You can use an elbow brace like this too.

http://www.joint-pain-solutions.com/images/Elbowbrace.jpg
OscarTFish
Posted 8/8/2013 3:54 AM (#656136 - in reply to #656133)

I learned to cast with either hand to help balance the load on my elbows. I've had it a few times over the years and I've found if I rest my arms the pain subsides some but I'm not always able to do that and it takes about 9 months to go away.
muskymagnet
Posted 8/8/2013 6:16 AM (#656137 - in reply to #656050)

There are certain exercises i learned through a physical therapist when I had it, and it worked. I'm sure they're online some where, and if not, go to an orthopedic doctor.
ARmuskyaddict
Posted 8/8/2013 6:36 AM (#656138 - in reply to #656050)

Put rubberbands around your fingers and spread them until fatigued several times a day. Wrist curls as well.
Brad P
Posted 8/8/2013 8:25 AM (#656158 - in reply to #656050)

I had some forearm elbow issues last year. So far I've been pain free this season. Here is what worked for me:

1.) Invest in high quality equipment. Make sure the rod/reel combos are balanced and the reel has the appropriate power for the baits you are throwing. Quite simply, there are reels out ther than maked DCG feel like nothing at all. They are not cheap, but they are out there. 14A Trinidad is your friend...

2.) If you use a mouse on a computer with your reeling hand, then switch the mouse to the other hand. (this was huge for me, can't over state how much of a difference this made, and yes relearning was annoying)

3.) Check out Troy Lindner's Fit for Fishing videso on youtube. He has a series of exercises for Elbow stuff. I did them all for 6 months last winter. It first healed and then stengthened my forearms. Huge difference maker IMO.

4.) More sleep, better diet, will help also
Flambeauski
Posted 8/8/2013 9:24 AM (#656170 - in reply to #656050)

R.I.I.C.E.
Rest, ice, Ibuprofen, compression, elevation.
Zib
Posted 8/8/2013 9:35 AM (#656177 - in reply to #656050)

I get bicept tendonitis in my left shoulder every so often from reeling in one musky lure too many. Went to the doc last month about it. Best thing for tendonitist is applying an ice pack for 15-20 minutes several times as day & Motrin. You need to do exercises that strech it out to help strengthen it. Use a brace on it while fishing if you can.

FAT-SKI
Posted 8/8/2013 9:40 AM (#656179 - in reply to #656050)

Schultz345 - 8/7/2013 5:15 PM

I'm still young, which is why I'm concerned about my elbow acting up the last few weeks. I did a little reading, and the symptoms sound like Tennis Elbow.

I'm just wondering if any of you have had to deal with this and what you found works best. I've been fishing less for the last few weeks to try and nurse it, but it seems to come back after a short amount of casting.

I was thinking an elbow brace might help, but there isn't much out there for a remedy online aside from ice and surgery if it persists.

Anything would be appreciated. I've got about a month of casting left before I can start sitting on my keester and watching a bobber.

---
Figure 8s were my biggest issue as well. It's wierd sounds like how I sounded a eyar ago. I don't want to crush your hopes and dreams here. but I am 27. Got it really bad last year and I decided not to do anything about it (anything being Physical theropy) my tennis elbow turned into "lateral and medial epicondylitus tendonopathy with Radial tunnel syndrome" Required two surgerys, and over a year of PT before I started getting better. and honestly I still feel it this season as well. I can only put in solid 4-6 hour trips on the water. Anything over 6 really starts to hurt.

If I were you I would put down the rod for a week and really just give your arm a rest. I should have done that. I didn't and ended up with 9 tendon tears, 2 pinched nerves (ulna and Radial) and a crap load of micro rips on my forearm muscles. If you keep trying to work through it as I did, it will only get worse and wrose. unless you know soomething I didn't/don't.

There is a cool brace you can buy (usually at physical theropy offices) and there are plenty of remedies that you can do. but the brace puts pressure on the muscle in front of your lateral epicondili. Also wrist braces help a lot as well. takes the pressure off of your tendons that way to.

I literally just went through all of this. I can give you some more exercises if you would like, but send me a PM and I can text you pics and intrustions on what stretches to do before you do certain acctivities and what not.

Just keep in mind, if nothing is done about it, it just gets worse and worse and worse, and eventually will turn into tendonitis, and trust me. you do NOT want that

Edited by FAT-SKI 8/8/2013 9:47 AM
FAT-SKI
Posted 8/8/2013 9:45 AM (#656181 - in reply to #656079)

milje - 8/7/2013 7:37 PM

Hmmm..... After looking it up, it sounds almost exactly like what I'm dealing with. Only thing that bothers me is running a jerk bait or giant jackpot, so if it doesn't go away by fall it'll suck, but right now I can deal with it. Maybe after ice up I'll see a doctor, no way I'd let them do something now that would take me off the lake for a few weeks.

---
HAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

That's exactly what I said, EXACTLY. I had two surgerys because I "waited" as you are going to do.
The Swan
Posted 8/8/2013 9:50 AM (#656184 - in reply to #656050)

Best advice: cosult with doc. Rest the elbow.
Landry
Posted 8/8/2013 10:47 AM (#656205 - in reply to #656050)

Go see someone who is a skilled active release massage therapist. In 4 treatments it will be gone. It is a painful and precise massage technique that targets and aggressively stretches tendons and muscles that are injured.
I tell people all the time about it and very few listen.
Try it. U will be amazed.
It will work.
If it does not then u can resort to a cortisone shot or whatever.
Landry

Edited by Landry 8/8/2013 10:48 AM
WI Duck Guide
Posted 8/8/2013 10:52 AM (#656206 - in reply to #656050)

'"Musky Elbow" sucks... Wrists are another problem. The velcro Ace Bandages do wonders when hucking larger baits. Wish I would have started using them sooner. $8 never bought you some much. Good preventative measure and added power on hook set is a plus.
esoxaddict
Posted 8/8/2013 11:15 AM (#656210 - in reply to #656050)

Buy a reel with the handle on the other side. It's clumsy at first, but you will get used to it. Being able to rest whatever-hurts-today and still fish is worth the aggravation of learning how to fish "backwards".
milje
Posted 8/8/2013 7:47 PM (#656327 - in reply to #656181)

FAT-SKI - 8/8/2013 9:45 AM

---

That's exactly what I said, EXACTLY. I had two surgerys because I "waited" as you are going to do.

Wouldn't be the first time I waited and it resulted in surgery.... In 2007 my knee swelled up and was red, I figured I twisted it at work (working in the woods), but I already had plans to go to the Oshkosh Air Show. After I got back I was in the fetal position just sitting, went to the doctor and found out i had a staph infection, blood was almost septic. Surgery, 3 days in the hospital, lots of antibiotics, and my knee still hurts. Probably wont be the last time I do something like that....
Kirby Budrow
Posted 8/8/2013 9:46 PM (#656371 - in reply to #656050)

I had the same problem with my elbow the last 3 years. This year it just went away! I'm good to go...
Jeremy
Posted 8/8/2013 10:37 PM (#656378 - in reply to #656050)

I could tell you lots on this stuff but I hate to type. 8 (yep, ....8!!) surgeries, the last 4 at Mayo to fix the first 4 done in the cities. Lateral and medial on both arms, twice each.

I wore out many, many air cushion/pillow-type bands and went the injection route for over 8 yrs before it got bad enough I had to go in and get cut.

Mayo Clinic fixed my issues. Dr. Bernard Morey "wrote the book" on this stuff for the Mayo and now, retired, his son took over.

My suggestion since this stuff doesn't just disappear by it's own accord is to have him review your case. It just may be that you won't require surgery as some have mentioned here but this doc. will let you know the VERY BEST for your own situation. He's "no-nonsense".

I'd go to him as this crap is nothing to sneeze at. It's a real bugger...Good luck.

I developed it from a Mfg. job when I was in my 40's, 20 yrs. ago and have been good since. But I had it bad! Now, I just need to be very careful about my activities. Not limited, just going about them in a proper manner.

Jeremy.
FAT-SKI
Posted 8/9/2013 8:18 AM (#656435 - in reply to #656327)

milje - 8/8/2013 7:47 PM

FAT-SKI - 8/8/2013 9:45 AM

---

Wouldn't be the first time I waited and it resulted in surgery.... In 2007 my knee swelled up and was red, I figured I twisted it at work (working in the woods), but I already had plans to go to the Oshkosh Air Show. After I got back I was in the fetal position just sitting, went to the doctor and found out i had a staph infection, blood was almost septic. Surgery, 3 days in the hospital, lots of antibiotics, and my knee still hurts. Probably wont be the last time I do something like that.... ;)

--
Yeah I try to tell myself that I learned my lesson, But Im a sure that something will come up down the line where I again procrastinate, and thus need surgery/something bigger needs to be done.

Also, I went to that air show for the first time ever this last week. It was pretty cool, i will defiantly go back.
Jump to page : 1 2
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)