Muskie Discussion Forums

Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Language | Blogs Search | Statistics | User Listing
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )
Moderators: Slamr

View previous thread :: View next thread
Jump to page : 1 2
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]

Muskie Fishing -> Lures,Tackle, and Equipment -> Whats going to be the hot bait this year?

Message Subject: Whats going to be the hot bait this year?
Wissota Musky
Posted 2/11/2013 12:33 PM (#616636)
Subject: Whats going to be the hot bait this year?

Like I said in the title, whats going to be the hot bait this year?
FAT-SKI
Posted 2/11/2013 12:43 PM (#616641 - in reply to #616636)
Subject: RE: Whats going to be the hot bait this year?

I'm going to go out on a limb and say Double Cowgirls will be the #1 producing bait. Even last season, there were guys that said they weren't gunna throw em. Until a few weeks in and no one is catching, all of the sudden that same guy puts on a DC10... And guess what happens??? Yep, you got it, they catch fish. SO... That being said... DC10 will take the cake again...

I know what I'm going to focus on throwing this season and try to make that specific bait my number 1 producer overall... But that's because I'll be throwing it more than I have in the past. and if I can't get em to eat... well, theres always all my brand new home made bucktails I need to get wet this season.
missourimuskyhunter
Posted 2/11/2013 12:51 PM (#616644 - in reply to #616636)

I'll let you know the hot bait at the end of the year when Im done...
Nolan
Posted 2/11/2013 12:54 PM (#616646 - in reply to #616636)
Subject: Re: Whats going to be the hot bait this year?

Black and Nickle DC10. Black and Orange Dirty B by Big Mama. Black and Orange Pounder.
Brad P
Posted 2/11/2013 12:56 PM (#616647 - in reply to #616636)

Well we don't even know what the spring is going to be like yet, nor do we have any bead on weather patterns, so hard to say what will be in 4 months time. However, we have not yet had our show up here in MN, but one thing I've been curious about is what folks opinions are regarding the best "new bait" or best "new thing" to come out in 2013?

My early bird opinion is still the Shadzilla X, but the jury is out.
FAT-SKI
Posted 2/11/2013 1:19 PM (#616651 - in reply to #616647)

Brad P - 2/11/2013 12:56 PM

Well we don't even know what the spring is going to be like yet, nor do we have any bead on weather patterns, so hard to say what will be in 4 months time. However, we have not yet had our show up here in MN, but one thing I've been curious about is what folks opinions are regarding the best "new bait" or best "new thing" to come out in 2013?

My early bird opinion is still the Shadzilla X, but the jury is out.

-------
I've also thought that, what is the best "new bait". I do believe that Musky Innovations is coming out with a 13" shallow invader, also heard rumors that they did some stuff to fix the hook up issue some guys have. If that bait is indeed coming, then it will be at the MN musky expo. And if it is at the MN musky expo, I'm sure it will be added to my box (actually 100% will be added to my box).

My general rule for myself is, I get one brand new custom lure from the expo every year. Then anything else I need/want will be picked up at the musky lure swap.

I also wouldn't be supprized if the Double Dawg continues to be a great producing bait this season
Ja Rule
Posted 2/11/2013 1:57 PM (#616653 - in reply to #616636)

Interesting topic, obviously nobody knows for sure but it is fun to speculate. On the lakes I fish the most I feel the DBL10 has already peaked. It's still a great bait and will catch fish, but the bait has been thrown by so many people so many times on some of these lakes the fish IMO have become conditioned to them. They no longer are the "magic bait" like they were even just 2-3 years ago. With that said I think the traditional sized single blade bucktail is going to make a comeback.

I know when I make my yearly pilgrimage to the St. Lawrence I have a few tricks up my sleeve but I don't want to reveal those here. I will say one of them is my own modification of the "burger king" rig. Should be fun to see what comes of it.
Pepper
Posted 2/11/2013 2:13 PM (#616659 - in reply to #616636)

The Shadillac looks pretty hot if you go by what they are selling for in the BUY & SELL forum.
ToddM
Posted 2/11/2013 2:20 PM (#616663 - in reply to #616636)

I would say a black suick, a black and silver mepps #5 or a mud puppy. I think this is the year these baits will finally catch on.
Wissota Musky
Posted 2/11/2013 2:44 PM (#616667 - in reply to #616636)

Really Todd you think they are going to catch on this year? You forgot about the Hawg wobbler.
FAT-SKI
Posted 2/11/2013 3:17 PM (#616675 - in reply to #616667)

The top producing lure (for everyone) around the country will be whatever lure style thrown the most. It's simple math.... Whatever you spend most of the time casting/trolling (no matter what it is) that bait will most likely be the top producing bait for you that year. If you are doing well on a certain lure, chances are you're not the only one. People choose what to throw based on previous years and lake experience (obviously certain situations may dicatate otherwise). The DC10 is still one of the top producing baits out there, as well as one of the easiest to learn how to use, add it's great hooking ability and you have a bait that people are going to throw regardless of the situation and WE KNOW they will throw it a lot.

That being said, the DC10 is not going to go down in production. I get that people say the fish are becoming conditioned to these baits, and I actaully agree with that. But it doesn't matter, it's still going to be top 5 most casted/trolled bait (probably top 2) for EVERYONE in the box. And because it is so high on the list, acompanied with all of its other benefits. I say that the DC10 will AGAIN be the best bait in the box... Anyone can sit here and tell me they wont throw em all day long. Well you can come into my boat and not throw them all day long and I will... Then we will see how "conditioned" these fish really are to this lure style. I would put money on, "not as much as we think there is".
GREENANDBLUE
Posted 2/11/2013 3:34 PM (#616685 - in reply to #616636)

The more I see or trip on my kids plastic/rubber toys the more I think, hummmm......throw a tail or maybe couple blades on that thing.
FAT-SKI
Posted 2/11/2013 3:47 PM (#616687 - in reply to #616685)

GREENANDBLUE - 2/11/2013 3:34 PM

The more I see or trip on my kids plastic/rubber toys the more I think, hummmm......throw a tail or maybe couple blades on that thing.

----
HA! thats funny cause I have a buddy whos son has a plastic dinosaur and it has been converted with new hooks and a spinner on it. I have also seen his son throw it a few times. He didn't catch anything on it while we were out, but I wouldn't be suprized if he catches something on it at some point, or possible has already
GREENANDBLUE
Posted 2/11/2013 5:25 PM (#616712 - in reply to #616636)

Yeah, think your right in regards to the bucktail as still being one of the hot-baits. My issue is narrowing the plethora of lures I own.....putting a handful in the box and using them on a consistent basis. Seems as though that mentality of i haven't seen a fish or a follow on that particular lure so guess I should put it aside. Also, how many musky lures does one use in one musky fishing outing?
hoosierhunter
Posted 2/11/2013 6:31 PM (#616731 - in reply to #616636)

So far I have put four fish in the boat and all have come on big rubber so that is what I will have to say.
WiscoEsox94
Posted 2/11/2013 6:37 PM (#616732 - in reply to #616636)

The coot will out produce all of these baits discussed combined this year
Wissota Musky
Posted 2/11/2013 8:14 PM (#616767 - in reply to #616712)

Yea I agree a guy can only throw so many baits. Narrowing it down is sometimes tricky. I can part with baits I don't use or sell them I guess but I often find myself just buying something else anyway.
MuskieFever
Posted 2/11/2013 8:41 PM (#616774 - in reply to #616636)

I'm going to agree and say that bucktails or any blade style bait will be the top producer simply because that is most commonly thrown. When I first got into musky fishing, every thing a heard and read said, "get yourself a black bucktail."

I'm hoping that my top producer this year are tubes. I have yet to catch one on a tube but I am crazy about these things. Awesome action, I just didn't have a good rod for throwing them last season, till now.
muskypig
Posted 2/11/2013 9:26 PM (#616795 - in reply to #616636)

Anthony Ashby's Hot Tails & Musky Menace
Anonymous
Posted 2/11/2013 9:31 PM (#616800 - in reply to #616636)

WOW Good stuff! ?-?-?
nazercl
Posted 2/11/2013 9:37 PM (#616805 - in reply to #616636)

Twisted Tin Head by Naze Baits....but I'm not sure that's truly objective.

Zoom - | Zoom 100% | Zoom + | Expand / Contract | Open New window
Click to expand / contract the width of this image
(IMG_2361.JPG)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments IMG_2361.JPG (8KB - 146 downloads)
muskymartin67
Posted 2/11/2013 9:53 PM (#616809 - in reply to #616636)

The Gopher bait by Augie Machtig
Muskerboy
Posted 2/11/2013 10:32 PM (#616819 - in reply to #616636)

Suick
ILmuskie
Posted 2/12/2013 7:19 AM (#616853 - in reply to #616636)

Mepps Aglia Tandem look good for spring. 5 inch long and .8oz. 1/0 treble hook in front and #2 trailer position. I just bought a nice 6 inch Smuttly Dog but replace treble hooks for better treble hooks. Will it be good? I dont know.
I like 9 1/2 inch Sledgehammer Sledge.
Ja Rule
Posted 2/12/2013 9:04 AM (#616884 - in reply to #616675)

FAT-SKI - 2/11/2013 3:17 PM

The top producing lure (for everyone) around the country will be whatever lure style thrown the most. It's simple math.... Whatever you spend most of the time casting/trolling (no matter what it is) that bait will most likely be the top producing bait for you that year. If you are doing well on a certain lure, chances are you're not the only one. People choose what to throw based on previous years and lake experience (obviously certain situations may dicatate otherwise). The DC10 is still one of the top producing baits out there, as well as one of the easiest to learn how to use, add it's great hooking ability and you have a bait that people are going to throw regardless of the situation and WE KNOW they will throw it a lot.

That being said, the DC10 is not going to go down in production. I get that people say the fish are becoming conditioned to these baits, and I actaully agree with that. But it doesn't matter, it's still going to be top 5 most casted/trolled bait (probably top 2) for EVERYONE in the box. And because it is so high on the list, acompanied with all of its other benefits. I say that the DC10 will AGAIN be the best bait in the box... Anyone can sit here and tell me they wont throw em all day long. Well you can come into my boat and not throw them all day long and I will... Then we will see how "conditioned" these fish really are to this lure style. I would put money on, "not as much as we think there is".

Man I guess I hit a nerve there. I wasn't trying to upset you with my observations.
dtaijo174
Posted 2/12/2013 9:11 AM (#616885 - in reply to #616636)

DBL 10's. they get a higher % of time in the water than any other lure. end of story.
Posted 2/12/2013 9:24 AM (#616890 - in reply to #616636)

The number one tool will be the GRAPH...as more and more guys venture away from the bank to find unpressured fish.
Jeff Hanson
Posted 2/12/2013 9:49 AM (#616897 - in reply to #616890)

I think it will be the new Squirko XL. I had a few to try at the very tail end of the season last year, Caught a few nice fish on them, A bunch of my customers that saw them used in my boat last fall all bought them at Chicago show.
They are the same size as a Mag dawg and can be used just as deep but swing way side to side very easy.
Can't wait to get a full season on these baits I have no doubt some very big fish will be put in the boat on these.
Jeff Hanson
madisonmuskyguide.com
FAT-SKI
Posted 2/12/2013 9:55 AM (#616899 - in reply to #616884)

Ja Rule - 2/12/2013 9:04 AM

FAT-SKI - 2/11/2013 3:17 PM

Man I guess I hit a nerve there. I wasn't trying to upset you with my observations.

----------
Whos upset? Not me, I was just stating what I feel about lures and "hot baits" and mroe importantly the DC10
Flambeauski
Posted 2/12/2013 10:02 AM (#616900 - in reply to #616636)

12-15" suckers.
Jump to page : 1 2
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)