Muskie Discussion Forums

Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Language | Blogs Search | Statistics | User Listing
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )
Moderators: Slamr

View previous thread :: View next thread
Jump to page : 1 2
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]

Muskie Fishing -> Lures,Tackle, and Equipment -> Split or Full Grip?

Split or Full Grip?
OptionResults
Split Grip
Full Grip
Kung Fu Grip
Extra fat ful grip 1.25"dia minimal
Both split and full - depends on use
pistol grip
Add your own option:

Message Subject: Split or Full Grip?
Vince Weirick
Posted 10/22/2012 11:45 PM (#592661)
Subject: Split or Full Grip?

As the subject says...which do you prefer?

You may add options like full grip - rubber baits or split grip - bucktails, etc.
muskellunged
Posted 10/23/2012 12:16 AM (#592668 - in reply to #592661)
Subject: RE: Split or Full Grip?

I rock mine GIJoe style, w/ kung-fu grip!
Posted 10/23/2012 1:18 AM (#592671 - in reply to #592661)

what is the purpose of a musky rod with a split grip? the purpose/reason for split grip in a bass rod is to reduce weight. other than that, there is no difference in performance or the way the rod is used or held. reduces weight in a musky rod? sure. but enough to to make any kind of difference or even be noticed?

visually appearing or nerdy?
AFChief
Posted 10/23/2012 6:10 AM (#592680 - in reply to #592671)

Guest,

It comes down to personal preference. If you have to be told what the benefits are of using one over the other, you probably would not agree or understand........ My preference is split grips.....
5th lake Brad
Posted 10/23/2012 6:24 AM (#592681 - in reply to #592661)
Subject: Re: Split or Full Grip?

I prefer split grip as well, for all rods except what I use for rubber.
Angler II
Posted 10/23/2012 7:21 AM (#592684 - in reply to #592661)

I cannot stand a split grip for jerk baits or rubber. After eight+ hrs of fishing my ribs feel like I was in a boxing match. You don't save yourself that much weight either.
FAT-SKI
Posted 10/23/2012 8:03 AM (#592694 - in reply to #592684)

^^ agreed, split grip hurts the ribs
mreiter
Posted 10/23/2012 8:13 AM (#592695 - in reply to #592661)

I went with a split grip slingblade this year based off a recommendation of a friend. Bought it before going to Canada and used it hard for an entire week casting DD10's. Worst $400 mistake I ever made. Ribs were toast and surrounding skin was rubbed raw. It was out of balance and had to add weight to the handle. If you have never used one before either take one for an extended test drive or just go with the full grip.
Junkman
Posted 10/23/2012 8:19 AM (#592696 - in reply to #592681)

I am going to quickly admit that this is a lot easier to do when you have a relationship with a rod maker, but I have now replaced every single rod I use with split-grips. And, I will also admit that I was a very reluctant at first to do so. It was a "younger," "mod" sort of a look that I would be "knee-jerk" resistant to take on. Still, I figured what the heck and tried using them. Personally, I don't think I really need to explain the "Why's" of the thing...I just prefer it! Also, I sold every single rod that had the conventional grips to good sticks who just prefer the solid cork version. These are just choices, that's all and you should always give yourself the opportunity to try new things...then either take them up or lay them down!
CiscoKid
Posted 10/23/2012 8:22 AM (#592698 - in reply to #592661)

Reducing weight in the handle makes no sense to me in a musky rod. Usually all of the longer rods these days are front heavy, and by removing more grip it just makes it worse. Fish with a properly balanced rod and the weight of the rod doesn’t matter. Those that add weights to the rear handle know what I am talking about. Split grips look cool and is the new fad, but I am afraid the functionality just isn’t there for musky fishing.
sworrall
Posted 10/23/2012 8:45 AM (#592705 - in reply to #592661)

I like the split grip just fine, and like the feel of the grip overall. I think the preference has to do with how one holds the rod against one's body. I have never had a rod butt bother my ribs...ever...so I must not be doing what some of the above folks are.

I like the split grip, and am not concerned with the weight of the rod as I balance every rod I use to my preferences.
bowhunter29
Posted 10/23/2012 8:50 AM (#592709 - in reply to #592661)

All of my rods have split grips!

As a custom builder, I have a bit of a different perspective. If you're fishing a split grip rod and the bare blank is tearing up your ribs, then the rod isn't matched to your style of fishing and the way you hold the rod. A custom builder can fit you with the rod for your particular needs.

Let me share a couple examples with you:
1. A fisherman never uses a fore grip and always holds the rod by the rear grip while palming the reel add he keeps the fighting butt tucked under his arm. This guy is the perfect candidate for a split grip rod.

2. A fisherman holds his rod by the fore grip 75% of the time to work his choice of lures. He rarely holds the rod by the rear grip and doesn't palm his reel. He finds that he can get better leverage by holding the fore grip. This guy is the perfect candidate for a full grip rod.

The two examples I just listed will generally hold true, but not 100% off the time.

my 2 cents,
jeremy
Flambeauski
Posted 10/23/2012 9:04 AM (#592713 - in reply to #592661)

I'm with Marty. Full cork is just annoying now. And I hold the fore grip 75% of the time.
Travis, what you are saying is ridiculous.
mreiter
Posted 10/23/2012 11:22 AM (#592749 - in reply to #592661)

"Travis, what you are saying is ridiculous."

Thats a funny comment. Travis is 100% correct. The split grip is way out of balance. I needed to add extra weight just to get it fishable. Its not the butt that bothered my ribs, its the rod blank that would rub on my side causing it to become irritated to the point I could not use the rod anymore. This happened using it 100% of the time 4 days into a 7 day trip. Yes, I am physically fit at less than 9% bodyfat. Maybe I dont have enough cushion!LOL! For me the split grip does not work as well as it does for other people. That is my opinion and I will not buy another one.

MR
esoxaddict
Posted 10/23/2012 11:57 AM (#592757 - in reply to #592671)

Guest - 10/23/2012 1:18 AM

what is the purpose of a musky rod with a split grip? the purpose/reason for split grip in a bass rod is to reduce weight. other than that, there is no difference in performance or the way the rod is used or held. reduces weight in a musky rod? sure. but enough to to make any kind of difference or even be noticed?

visually appearing or nerdy? :)

The purpose is so the rod builder can cut down on costs - cork is getting more and more expensive.
esoxaddict
Posted 10/23/2012 12:02 PM (#592760 - in reply to #592749)

mreiter - 10/23/2012 11:22 AM

"Travis, what you are saying is ridiculous."

Thats a funny comment. Travis is 100% correct. The split grip is way out of balance. I needed to add extra weight just to get it fishable. Its not the butt that bothered my ribs, its the rod blank that would rub on my side causing it to become irritated to the point I could not use the rod anymore. This happened using it 100% of the time 4 days into a 7 day trip. Yes, I am physically fit at less than 9% bodyfat. Maybe I dont have enough cushion!LOL! For me the split grip does not work as well as it does for other people. That is my opinion and I will not buy another one.

MR

I can safely say after having spend a few hours using a split grip rod that it DOES hurt your ribs. And I've got plenty of padding, so it's not just skinny guys. If you're ripping/jerking/pulling lures, I think it's a bad idea.

As for balance? Whether it's an issue depends on wheteher you palm the reel or hold the front grip, but Travis is correct - most rods are tip heavy to begin with.
MuskyNate27
Posted 10/23/2012 12:10 PM (#592762 - in reply to #592760)

I like the split grips except for throwing and ripping rubber...like previously stated by others it does a number to your ribs.
Grass
Posted 10/23/2012 12:15 PM (#592764 - in reply to #592661)

I'm with Travis on this one. I think a split grip musky rod is a silly idea. I'll take full cork all the time. In most cases I want the fore grip and handle to be larger for better control and comfort not smaller.
sworrall
Posted 10/23/2012 12:42 PM (#592772 - in reply to #592661)

So I use a split grip and like the feel of the rod, have no issues with it bothering my ribs, and that's 'wrong'?

I do not hold the rod by the foregrip. It's personal preference. And anyone who calls a split grip 'silly' doesn't get what personal preference is.
Flambeauski
Posted 10/23/2012 12:47 PM (#592775 - in reply to #592661)

"Weight of the rod doesn't matter"
"split grips look cool and is the new fad, but I'm afraid the functionality just isn't there for muskie fishing"

I get it if you don't like them, not everyone does. But to dismiss them as a fad or fashion statement because you don't like or don't understand the advantages they offer in certain situations is ridiculous.
Flambeauski
Posted 10/23/2012 12:52 PM (#592777 - in reply to #592757)

esoxaddict - 10/23/2012 11:57 AM

Guest - 10/23/2012 1:18 AM

visually appearing or nerdy? :)

The purpose is so the rod builder can cut down on costs - cork is getting more and more expensive.

More time is required by a rodbuilder to build a split grip than straight cork. And if I install wind checks or trim rings it actually gets more expensive.
CiscoKid
Posted 10/23/2012 12:58 PM (#592782 - in reply to #592661)

Please re-read my post, and then tell me where I said I don’t like them or said they are silly. I simply stated that in terms of musky fishing the functionality of the split grip just isn’t there. Counter-productive when you look at reducing rod weight if indeed that is the purpose. As far as the other reason I have heard for split grips, not on here, is for sensitivity. Do we really need ultra-sensitive rods for musky fishing? I think not.

I get it that some people just like them better without a reason. I have no problem with that, and didn’t argue that fact.

As far as understanding the advantages of split grip over cork…Please explain to me so that I can be better informed and understand it. I don’t see any advantages listed here yet other than some might find it more comfortable for how they fish.
Flambeauski
Posted 10/23/2012 1:08 PM (#592787 - in reply to #592661)

"I get it that some people just like them better without a reason. "

"As far as understanding the advantages of split grip over cork…Please explain to me so that I can be better informed and understand it. I don’t see any advantages listed here yet other than some might find it more comfortable for how they fish."

So comfort isn't an advantage or a reason someone might prefer it? What's the mechanical advantage of a low profile reel?
Zinox
Posted 10/23/2012 1:15 PM (#592789 - in reply to #592661)

I love the firm grip of the end of my split grip TI XXH when i'm throwing big baits. But after a hole day og ripping big tubes and other rubber my ribs hurts, so i made a cover of some rubberfoam, hope it helps next time, not preaty, but i stil got the nice grip in the end of the rod.
Junkman
Posted 10/23/2012 1:44 PM (#592799 - in reply to #592789)

OK, I will toss out a few specifics: Not sure if this applies to other makes, but on the St. Croix LT's that I use (mostly Big Nasty, Sling Blade and Big Dawg) if you lay the split grip model on a table next to the conventional grip..you will see that the split grip has more rod (going back) from the reel seat to the butt than the conventional design and less rod from the real seat to the tip. This provides a a really HUGE difference in the way the rod feels in your hands when casting and IMHO is far more "secure feeling" to use. In fact, when you switch back to the conventional after using the split grip for some time you will feel a little like the rod is in danger of slipping out of your hand. AGAIN: this is all personal preference. I am also a person who just really loves the way the butt end of the rod that appears much more like a larger ball in your hand provides a foundation for casting. Honestly, it's really just easiest to forget whatever predjudice you have, try them both...then fish with what you prefer!
esoxaddict
Posted 10/23/2012 1:59 PM (#592801 - in reply to #592799)

Junkman - 10/23/2012 1:44 PM

[...] try them both...then fish with what you prefer!

But... that would imply that neither is better than the other, and that the people using split grip rods aren't using the "wrong" equipment. We can't have that!
curleytail
Posted 10/23/2012 2:08 PM (#592804 - in reply to #592661)

I have a couple split grips that I like. The weight reduction doesn't matter to me. If anything it would probably be nice if the end of the split grip was made out of dense rubber or something to add weight. Having handled identical rods with the only difference being full cork/split grip I couldn't tell you a difference in balance.

Ribs. I do notice that the first time I rip Dawgs hard for the season my ribs get a little tender with the split grip. You get used to that though and it doesn't bother me after a while.

Grip. I DO like the shape of the rod butt on the split grips and how they fit in my hand. Can I still cast effectively with a regular full cork rod? Of course, but the splits do give a nice in hand feel.

I use my split grips for most of my fishing. I ordered a dedicated Pounder rod and did go with full cork on that one for a little more cushion for the ribs while ripping Pounders hard.

Personal preference and probably nothing to argue about, lol.

Tucker
gregk9
Posted 10/23/2012 5:07 PM (#592852 - in reply to #592661)

IDK, maybe I'm a wus but I two-hand my casts most of the time with Muskie baits. I want something to grab on too, not just a little section of cork on the end of the blank.

Full grips for me all the way for Muskie rods!!!

spinning rods for bass fish - spilt grip is fine but I don't really see any advantage.
sworrall
Posted 10/23/2012 6:47 PM (#592885 - in reply to #592661)

I also have some St Croix slit grip bass rods and walleye rods...and a Berkley panfish rod. I really like those too, and found myself reaching for them over the full cork all season.
Flambeauski
Posted 10/23/2012 7:05 PM (#592897 - in reply to #592852)

gregk9 - 10/23/2012 5:07 PM

IDK, maybe I'm a wus but I two-hand my casts most of the time with Muskie baits. I want something to grab on too, not just a little section of cork on the end of the blank.

QUOTE]

Exactly the point of a split grip. The little knob of cork catches your hand and gives you more leverage when two hand casting.
Jump to page : 1 2
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)