Muskie Discussion Forums

Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Language | Blogs Search | Statistics | User Listing
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )
Moderators: Slamr

View previous thread :: View next thread
Jump to page : 1 2
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]

Muskie Fishing -> Lures,Tackle, and Equipment -> Tackle at Cabelas Bulldawgs adn Cowgirls

Message Subject: Tackle at Cabelas Bulldawgs adn Cowgirls
Dave
Posted 8/10/2012 11:15 AM (#577278)
Subject: Tackle at Cabelas Bulldawgs adn Cowgirls

I was just at Cabelas to buy some tackle. Wanted soem regular Bulldawgs and tehy were $21.99 for the regular size. Wow! Cowgirls were $28.99 for teh double 10s. Anyone know where you can pick these up for a better price or even similar lures for a better price. I know the DCG are usually in teh $20s but $29! Wonder how many Cabelas sells at that price?
Jobu
Posted 8/10/2012 11:20 AM (#577281 - in reply to #577278)
Subject: RE: Tackle at Cabelas Bulldawgs adn Cowgirls

Sounds like Cabelas are JACKING things up a bit considering Rollie & Helen's have cowgirls for 24.99 and some customs for 25.99. They used to be around 25 bucks at Cabelas----looks like a mark up increase was in order. Good luck ---Jobu
Slow Eddie
Posted 8/10/2012 11:28 AM (#577282 - in reply to #577281)

Musky Tackle Online!
MuskieMike
Posted 8/10/2012 11:31 AM (#577283 - in reply to #577278)

MTO for sure. Free shipping on orders over 75$. Tough to beat that deal
MikeK
Posted 8/10/2012 11:43 AM (#577285 - in reply to #577278)
Subject: Re: Tackle at Cabelas Bulldawgs adn Cowgirls

Bigwood musky lures. 5 bucks to ship and lowest prices
FAT-SKI
Posted 8/10/2012 11:57 AM (#577287 - in reply to #577285)

bigwoods musky lures, MTO, Gander mountain, Dicks sporting goods, Rollie and Helens musky shop, Thorne Bros...
joemsanderson
Posted 8/10/2012 12:02 PM (#577290 - in reply to #577278)

James at Tackle Industries makes lures for a very good price. Plus you will be hard pressed to find someone with better customer service. James is a stand up guy.
gordonmann69
Posted 8/10/2012 12:26 PM (#577292 - in reply to #577290)

Here is what I see:

Regular Bulldwags:
Rollie and Helens $17.99
Thorn Bros: $17.99
Musky Tackle Online: $16.79
In my opinion buy a Regular SuperD from Musky Tackle Online. The SuperD lures have teh coil hanress in them and are 2x tougher than a bulldawg and cost less.
Cowgirls
Rollie and Helens $27.99
Thorn Bros: $24.99
Musky Tackle Online: $22.99
There are a lot of other double 10 makers out this with as good quality for a lot less. Spanky Baits, Glitter Tails, Tackle Industries, Dreamcatchers, Tyrant, etc. All of these are $10-$15 less than a DCG. If youwant a DCG MTO ahs them for less tahn anyone else I can see.
Kirby Budrow
Posted 8/10/2012 12:32 PM (#577293 - in reply to #577278)

So dumb that some places sell DCGs for that much. Even the JRs are the same price as the dbl 10s. You would think there is a mark down for the smaller bait but no......... Thank God for some of the mentioned retailers for not over charging.
muskiehunter2
Posted 8/10/2012 1:09 PM (#577301 - in reply to #577278)

Mto gets my vote.always come thru and has the best prices.
RyanJoz
Posted 8/10/2012 1:23 PM (#577302 - in reply to #577301)

muskiehunter2 - 8/10/2012 1:09 PM

Mto gets my vote.always come thru and has the best prices.

I buy everything from MTO that I can. Aaron has the best customer service in the industry that I have ever seen. PERIOD!
stdevos
Posted 8/10/2012 1:50 PM (#577306 - in reply to #577278)

More props for MTO, I only wish they carried a larger variety of products so I wouldn't have to shop anywhere else! With the price of lures these days, it's hard not to keep the cart under $75 anyways.

Doesn't cabelas charge $8 shipping on top of it?
gordonmann69
Posted 8/10/2012 4:14 PM (#577327 - in reply to #577278)

I used to buy most of my tackle from Rollie and Helens but Musky Tackle Online with the free shipping and average tackle 10-20% less turned me over to them. Also got sick and tired of getting an email from Rollie and Helens a week after my order was accepted just to tell me half my order was out of stock! Aaron has to be the fastest shipper around too. 2 days average for my last few orders and NEVER out of stock on anything he has listed on his site.
Props to MTO!
rtowns
Posted 8/10/2012 4:33 PM (#577329 - in reply to #577327)

Same thing from Rollie and Helen's. It took over a month to complete my order and sent in two shipments. Also charged twice for shipping on an order that should have come all at once.
Lungemadness
Posted 8/10/2012 4:37 PM (#577330 - in reply to #577278)

+ 1...MTO
jlammusky
Posted 8/10/2012 6:00 PM (#577343 - in reply to #577278)

Gerrygirl man awsome bait and great pricing
3stripe
Posted 8/10/2012 7:06 PM (#577346 - in reply to #577343)

Check out Muskytales.com - Good guys and great prices
Clint
Posted 8/10/2012 7:43 PM (#577352 - in reply to #577278)

I would go with the Glittertails, they are jointed so you can mix and match any of the tails with any of the blades and the wire is heaver than a DCG, plus when you catch a fish on them they don't get bent up since they are jointed.
EsoxAddiction
Posted 8/10/2012 8:07 PM (#577354 - in reply to #577278)

Check out Esox assault buck tails, IMHO they have fuller skirts, more color options, AND they are cheaper than DCG. They just seem to be better built than musky mayhems. Everyone has their opinion, but mine is that Esox Assault is the way to go for double bladed flashabou bucktails.
Tackle Industries
Posted 8/10/2012 9:33 PM (#577364 - in reply to #577278)

I met the Esox Assault guys at the Madison show. Great guys! Their bucktails looked fantastic. Quality heavy built bucktails. Nice tweaks on the lures too.
missourimuskyhunter
Posted 8/11/2012 12:21 PM (#577440 - in reply to #577278)

Everyone needs to remember it takes more funds to have employees and a actual front door business. MTO is a internet based store only and most others do business as walk in and online. Both forms of retail are great,i try to use them all. You cant bash prices when you don't know the costs of being a retail store,until you have done it yourself. Yes, Rollie & Helens may be out of something, but a small business cannot have the inventory of a large retailer and they dont know when someone will walk through the front door and take the entire stack of a "hot" color and be out till it's re-ordered and back in stock. Give em a break...or better yet,try being in the business yourself and let me know how it works out for you.

Fred
MuskyLureFreak
Posted 8/11/2012 12:27 PM (#577441 - in reply to #577440)

missourimuskyhunter - 8/11/2012 12:21 PM

Everyone needs to remember it takes more funds to have employees and a actual front door business. MTO is a internet based store only and most others do business as walk in and online. Both forms of retail are great,i try to use them all. You cant bash prices when you don't know the costs of being a retail store,until you have done it yourself. Yes, Rollie & Helens may be out of something, but a small business cannot have the inventory of a large retailer and they dont know when someone will walk through the front door and take the entire stack of a "hot" color and be out till it's re-ordered and back in stock. Give em a break...or better yet,try being in the business yourself and let me know how it works out for you.

Fred
BULL- CRAP!!!!! i had my own fishing store and bigger retailers get baits a lot cheaper because like you said they buy bulk.. Cabelas should be able to under price MTO by a few $$ but are charging $8 more..
missourimuskyhunter
Posted 8/11/2012 2:11 PM (#577456 - in reply to #577278)

And you will be surprised how much there isnt in price buying large quantity versus small. I use to sell certain brands of musky lures on Ebay years ago,and was told my cost versus a large retailers cost was the same. You cant expect a large retail chain to sell at the same price a home based online store can. You have to make a dollar or at least break even.
Posted 8/11/2012 2:57 PM (#577465 - in reply to #577278)

The fact of the matter is that a brick and mortar store has many advantages over an online only store. And an online only store has some advantages over a brick and mortar store. Pros and cons to each. That's why both set ups are able to succeed. Furthermore, a retailer that has both an online store and a retail shop has the best of both worlds and can take advantage of all of the pros that each has to offer if they choose to do so.

It is also true that not all retailers receive the same pricing. But that is a case by case basis with each manufacturer. Some offer the same pricing to everyone no matter what. Some offer better pricing for large orders. Some offer better prices if you have a store front versus online only. Some simply will not sell direct to an online only retailer. So if they want to offer that product, they have to find a distributor where they have to pay more than buying direct. Overall, brick and mortar stores will receive better wholesale pricing.

What it comes down to for me is that I'm thankful that we as consumers have the freedom of choice to spend our dollars where we want. And competition among all the retailers is a good thing for the customer. Spend your dollars where you want, whether that be for price, service, convenience, or whatever reason you choose.
Cpain
Posted 8/11/2012 3:52 PM (#577472 - in reply to #577278)

Go To overstockbait.com they have unbelievable deals! They have tackle industries bootytail double 13 cowgirls for only about 15 bucks! They are always running special deals and savings also. They have reg d's for 12 bucks and meg d's for 14! I really encourage everyone to check it out!
curleytail
Posted 8/11/2012 11:51 PM (#577550 - in reply to #577278)

It's worth mentioning MTO again. I'll buy some show customs at the musky shows, but other than that pretty much all my musky baits come from there. Free shipping over $75 (which doesn't take long with musky baits), and very reasonable shipping rates for orders less than $75. Also excellent prices on everything, fast shipping, and you KNOW if it's in stock or not before you order.

Tucker
jwelch
Posted 8/11/2012 11:52 PM (#577551 - in reply to #577472)

You can go to MTO and buy a regular d for $10.99 and mag d's for 11.99.

Another vote for MTO. Also another good site is jaskson lures, too. I've bought a few things there also.

Jeremy
sworrall
Posted 8/12/2012 7:21 AM (#577561 - in reply to #577278)

To expand on the Big Box retail pricing issue, Cabelas isn't a Muskie store. Facing that stuff is a risk to begin with because Muskie guys are notoriously fickle and hot lures change faster than a baby changes diapers. The turn on that facing is much slower than other pegs, so the margin needs to be bumped or the entire category dropped. Then some here would complain about that.

The big muskie shops are going to stock out faster and more often than a small online only. Why? because they SELL more, lots more, and muskie lures are made in small enough quantity to make it tough to keep them in stock.

There's a person running the fishing department. There's the person checking you out. There's heat, air conditioning, and light bills to pay, and ALL the products carried need to turn several times a season and pay those bills. Many 'specialty' online outfits work out of home and have much lower overhead. Therefore, they can price lower and survive; but the need to watch the pricing they offer, especially since they have to ship.

jdeezay74
Posted 8/16/2012 4:52 PM (#578810 - in reply to #577278)

if you have a gander mountain around you i was just in there and the store was posting 30% all muskie tackle except for terminal tackle leaders and such. and quite a collection was on the shelf!!!
Ball Cap
Posted 8/16/2012 11:13 PM (#578879 - in reply to #577278)

Ive never ordered online since I live in the Twin Cities and have Gander, Thorne, and nobody has mentioned Joe's Sporting Goods within 15 minutes of my house.

All I fish is Jr Double Cowgirls. Cady Original Weagles and Top Walkers. No joke.

Moral of the story is I burn through lots of Jr Doubles each year and they are $1 cheaper per at Joe's than Thorne.
Jump to page : 1 2
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)