Muskie Discussion Forums

Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Language | Blogs Search | Statistics | User Listing
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )
Moderators: Slamr

View previous thread :: View next thread
Jump to page : 1 2
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]

Muskie Fishing -> Lures,Tackle, and Equipment -> Tranx

Message Subject: Tranx
MuskieMike
Posted 7/27/2012 2:13 PM (#574420)
Subject: Tranx

I thought it was the end all be all muskie reel? Why do I see so many being sold after only a couple day's use then?
MuskieCat94
Posted 7/27/2012 2:18 PM (#574422 - in reply to #574420)
Subject: RE: Tranx

Behemoths! Big ole bettys
Musky Brian
Posted 7/27/2012 2:27 PM (#574432 - in reply to #574422)

I bought one from a guy who said it didn't fit his hand but loved it besides that...I bet you also get a lot of guys who buy them for annual fishing trips then clear them out to cover up the costs...

I got 7 days of hard fishing on it and thought it was great and size/weight of the reel was not an issue whatsoever...I'm not crazy about my cast lengths but that could very well be a rod/line issue and not the reel

is it worth 500$? probably not
But it still very solid without a doubt
kodiak
Posted 7/27/2012 3:00 PM (#574448 - in reply to #574422)

MuskieCat94 - 7/27/2012 2:18 PM

Behemoths! Big ole bettys

lmao..

i bought a pg when they came out and i just bought one of the hg that was advertised....i think they are the #*#*! i can fish all day with mine. reel is big but it is ergonomic and works like a champ. i got the hg so i can pull some baits i have been working on with some speed.....we will see what happens. it seems there is a lot of hg and not so many pg for sale. i think it has to do with the way it was advertised i think guys thought (((I hate this phrase)) "burning 10's" was gonna be easy....and it still probally takes some work. i use a 300ej for 10's so this is gonna be a walk in the park. the pg is a tractor i use it all the time.
kodiak
Posted 7/27/2012 3:03 PM (#574449 - in reply to #574420)
Subject: Re: Tranx

also i am thinking 65lb line might be the ticket for these to make em bomb cast. maybe pike can add to this i am sure he has had his set apart 10 times....and pike i will be sending my pair to you this winter if you got anything figured out with em...you did a kick butt job on my ole 200 curado.
makins117
Posted 7/27/2012 3:13 PM (#574450 - in reply to #574420)

Yeah, I was going to make the point that it's mostly the HG version being re-sold already. I think it has a lot to do with the bucktail issue. I haven't bought a Tranx, but I knew when I looked at the specs that you couldn't really "burn" bucktails with the HG version without consequences. With that high an inches-per-turn ratio you are "fighting" the bait more than usual. You either had to put less line on the reel or adjust your reeling speed. The PG was always the better choice of the two for bucktails in my opinion.
PIKEMASTER
Posted 7/27/2012 3:15 PM (#574452 - in reply to #574420)

Tranx has a dis - engaging levelwind system, so when you are trying to cast 100lb braid, the reel may not cast as well if the Tranx had a Non - disengaging levelwind system. I use 80lb Power Pro Slick and that line is very smooth and will cast alot better them some of the older lines out there. Try some of the newer lines like 832 or Slick you will see a big difference.
The PG is what I use for DCG10-13 and the HG for fast line pickup on Jerks.
Chas
Posted 7/27/2012 5:47 PM (#574471 - in reply to #574420)

Putting the LJV handle on imo, makes a big difference. It cuts down on the fatigue. Love the HG!
kodiak
Posted 7/27/2012 6:13 PM (#574473 - in reply to #574471)

How much for the handle?
Chas
Posted 7/27/2012 6:37 PM (#574479 - in reply to #574420)

I'm not sure since I took it off my LJV, lol.

http://www.davesreelservice.com/pages/power-handle-upgrade.php Give him a call, I'm sure he would answer your question.

Edit: Just checked & it's $48.00.

Chas
Flo Meister
Posted 7/27/2012 6:58 PM (#574485 - in reply to #574420)

Had just spent a full week of fishing with my Tranx PG at LOTW. No problems at all with it. I don't have the massive hands at all either. Of course after a time my hands would get tired but thought that came with musky fishing. Love it.
Definitely handles the heavy stuff.
muskymandan
Posted 7/27/2012 7:41 PM (#574493 - in reply to #574420)

Hey pikemaster if I wanted a monster double paddle for the tranx is there anywhere I could pick one up or have one made?
esox1980
Posted 7/27/2012 8:11 PM (#574498 - in reply to #574420)

I don't get it. Honestly I have enough money to spend on one but I tried one out and don't see much of a difference between the tranx and a good low geared winch, Calcutta te, or even a Calcutta 400/700. I'm glad people are posting a lot about this reel and loving it. I'm just wondering if it's more of a prestige thing to have a Tranx on their rod. I've compared it full day fishing with other reels, and yes it is nice/ergonomic/efficient/reliable. Don't we all have reels that are equivalent? I don't think it is the reel that makes all others obsolete or in a different league, just my opinion.
fish4musky1
Posted 7/27/2012 8:36 PM (#574501 - in reply to #574493)

muskymandan - 7/27/2012 7:41 PM

Hey pikemaster if I wanted a monster double paddle for the tranx is there anywhere I could pick one up or have one made?

Last time I was up at Smokeys in Pewaukee they had a box of HUGE handles that were made by some local. Not sure of details but maybe give them a call. They looked pretty well made.
crazy cooter
Posted 7/27/2012 10:17 PM (#574518 - in reply to #574420)

I have both models, imo it has changed the game! The one huge improvement I made on my HG was to put a handle made for the 16na on it. I purchased it from Daves reel service. The HG is supposed to have the line retrieval similar to to the Trinidads but the reel handle on the Tranx is shorter.
missourimuskyhunter
Posted 7/27/2012 10:46 PM (#574519 - in reply to #574420)

I was fortunate enough to try one out at Chicago in January and thought it was the next best thing. So i pondered on it till they were available to the public and made the purchase. The reel did what they said,but several hours on the water puts you to the test as well. The reel weighs 20 ounces and isnt the easiest reel to palm. Overall i was happy with what it would do,but probably a little too much reel for my likings.
PIKEMASTER
Posted 7/28/2012 8:34 AM (#574554 - in reply to #574493)

muskymandan - 7/27/2012 7:41 PM

here are some Japan handles, made from carbon fiber very light and strong.

Zoom - | Zoom 100% | Zoom + | Expand / Contract | Open New window
Click to expand / contract the width of this image
(nlag37ca_img_01.jpg)

Zoom - | Zoom 100% | Zoom + | Expand / Contract | Open New window
Click to expand / contract the width of this image
(nlae85ca_img_04.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments nlag37ca_img_01.jpg (23KB - 189 downloads)
Attachments nlae85ca_img_04.jpg (49KB - 198 downloads)
BNelson
Posted 7/28/2012 8:56 AM (#574556 - in reply to #574554)

interesting comments about the tranx on here....I have a HIgh speed version, spooled w 80 lb bronzeback and it casts as far and as smooth as any shimano TE or abu Revo Toro I have....rarely backlashes if ever...I have about 125 hours of use on it this season with about 12 fish in the net to 48" and couldn't be happier...buddy of mine came down in May from MN and used it the entire 3 days here was here and he loved it as well.....I put a 16NA handle on it right when I got it (put the stock handle on 6.4 toro 60, rocks!) and it pulls in blades as good/better than my previous gold trini or 16NA.... not sure why guys are having problems w cast length? could be the rod????
I did have my handle wobbling on the shaft but figured out my nut was on wrong and i needed another washer in back i forgot to put on....are they $300 better than a Saltist.... ? probably not...but I like not having to flip the lever dealio...

I would buy another if I needed one......
EsoxAddiction
Posted 7/28/2012 9:52 AM (#574567 - in reply to #574420)

I dont mean to steal the thread but i asked this question months ago and never really got a response. Will a tranx power handle fit a 300EJ ?? I used a tranx and loved it (but cant see shelling out $$$ for one just yet) but i really loved the power handle rubber "paddle" itself over the 300EJ handle's tiny rubber "paddle".....any ideas? I know there is replacements out there that people make, but im interested in an exact Tranx handle.
PIKEMASTER
Posted 7/28/2012 11:48 AM (#574575 - in reply to #574567)

EsoxAddiction - 7/28/2012 9:52 AM

I dont mean to steal the thread but i asked this question months ago and never really got a response. Will a tranx power handle fit a 300EJ ?? I used a tranx and loved it (but cant see shelling out $$$ for one just yet) but i really loved the power handle rubber "paddle" itself over the 300EJ handle's tiny rubber "paddle".....any ideas? I know there is replacements out there that people make, but im interested in an exact Tranx handle.

All Curado reels have a smaller drive shaft then a TE, D, Tranx, LJV, Trinidad, so any handle from them will not fit a Curado.
EsoxAddiction
Posted 7/28/2012 3:53 PM (#574595 - in reply to #574575)

PIKEMASTER - 7/28/2012 11:48 AM

EsoxAddiction - 7/28/2012 9:52 AM

All Curado reels have a smaller drive shaft then a TE, D, Tranx, LJV, Trinidad, so any handle from them will not fit a Curado.

Thanks.
kodiak
Posted 7/31/2012 8:16 AM (#574980 - in reply to #574420)

i can see why guys that bought the hg for the "sole" reason that pulling blades would be a absolute breeze would be sorely dissapointed. you can definatly feel them but i they are freeking flying! this is one fast reel and it will work perfect for the baits i bought it for. i recommend the pg if your looking for a tranx for blades.
RStien321
Posted 7/31/2012 9:51 AM (#575007 - in reply to #574420)

I have both the high speed and low speed Tranx and they are two very different reels (in terms of their sweet spot). If I was looking to buy just one I would think about the following:

What size of blades do I throw? - If you are throwing double showgirls or Jr. Cowgirls, then I would lean towards the HG Tranx. If you are throwing a majority of Cowgirls and Supermodels, then I would lean towards the PG Tranx. The PG Tranx is an absolute power house! Makes Supermodels feel non-existant! The HG Tranx is less powerful (still packs a ton of power) but blazing fast! Cowgirls can be handled at similar ease with both the HG and PG - it really depends upon your strength and hand speed.

What else do you want the reel to do? - If you can only do one, I think the PG has a much wider application range. It is awesome for plastics and big cranks as well. The HG is a niche reel, but functions phenomenally well within its niche. If you are chasing the sand bite where speed is king, the HG will be sweet!

Both reels cast as good or better than any muskie reel I have used (provided that rod, line, and lure are the same). All the talk about the handle engaging has been a non-issue for me. Just pick one up and press the thumbar in, and then engage the reel with a turn of the handle - you can feel the strength in the clutch pawl spring.
kodiak
Posted 7/31/2012 10:01 AM (#575010 - in reply to #575007)

agreed with the niche comment
Brad P
Posted 7/31/2012 10:28 AM (#575015 - in reply to #574420)

The HG has other applications aside from Bucktails, although it is a cowgirl machine. It is an excellent tool for ripping dawgs since the speed makes it much easier to catch up the slack. A necessity, no, but very useful. I've experimented with twitch baits and it also has the same advantage should you want to speed up your cadence.

I run both and over the long haul the PG is probably the better reel for 13s, since it makes it so easy. However, I do not find running 13s with the HG to be all that bad. It really depends on what you want. If I am slow rolling at night, then the PG is the way to go. If I want to fish them all day, the PG is easier. However, if I need any kind of speed, then the HG is easier. In order to get real burning speeds you will need a lot of hand speed on the PG which you won't need as much on the HG. I don't think the drop off in torque for 13s (relative to the bait, not the reel) is that big of a deal in terms of fatigue. I've found myself running 13s on the HG a lot more than the PG so far this year. Other folks mileage may vary.
RStien321
Posted 7/31/2012 1:51 PM (#575061 - in reply to #575015)

Just out of curiousity, are you running the HG with a full spool, or are you running it with a little less?
Trolling
Posted 7/31/2012 2:27 PM (#575075 - in reply to #574420)

If people are using saltwater type reels to increase speed, why don't they just troll. Seems like using such a big equipment is not much different?
Musky Brian
Posted 8/24/2012 2:26 PM (#580651 - in reply to #574556)

BNelson - 7/28/2012 8:56 AM

interesting comments about the tranx on here....I have a HIgh speed version, spooled w 80 lb bronzeback and it casts as far and as smooth as any shimano TE or abu Revo Toro I have....rarely backlashes if ever...I have about 125 hours of use on it this season with about 12 fish in the net to 48" and couldn't be happier...buddy of mine came down in May from MN and used it the entire 3 days here was here and he loved it as well.....I put a 16NA handle on it right when I got it (put the stock handle on 6.4 toro 60, rocks!) and it pulls in blades as good/better than my previous gold trini or 16NA.... not sure why guys are having problems w cast length? could be the rod????
I did have my handle wobbling on the shaft but figured out my nut was on wrong and i needed another washer in back i forgot to put on....are they $300 better than a Saltist.... ? probably not...but I like not having to flip the lever dealio...

Just to bring this one back....Took BN's advice and threw the Tranx on a Big Nasty, also changed the line from 101 PP to 80 Masterbraid....Pretty big difference it made on cast length and overall comfort. Found it pretty hard to put the rod down....I also noticed how much speed I was getting without even trying, had to "burn" tails on 400 b's to keep up with the standard speed i was getting on the Tranx.....Definitely is not a "mandatory" setup by any means but I will find it hard to go back to throwing some of the more cost effective combos I have used in the past.....
BNelson
Posted 8/24/2012 2:35 PM (#580654 - in reply to #574420)

I might not know a lot but I do know equipment! glad you like it brian
PIKEMASTER
Posted 8/25/2012 8:19 AM (#580752 - in reply to #580651)

Musky Brian - 8/24/2012 2:26 PM

BNelson - 7/28/2012 8:56 AM

Just to bring this one back....Took BN's advice and threw the Tranx on a Big Nasty, also changed the line from 101 PP to 80 Masterbraid....Pretty big difference it made on cast length and overall comfort. Found it pretty hard to put the rod down....I also noticed how much speed I was getting without even trying, had to "burn" tails on 400 b's to keep up with the standard speed i was getting on the Tranx.....Definitely is not a "mandatory" setup by any means but I will find it hard to go back to throwing some of the more cost effective combos I have used in the past.....

Try 80lb Power Pro SLICK 100times better then Masterbraid.
Jump to page : 1 2
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)