Muskie Discussion Forums

Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Language | Blogs Search | Statistics | User Listing
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )
Moderators: Slamr

View previous thread :: View next thread
Jump to page : 1 2
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]

Muskie Fishing -> General Discussion -> Haunted memories

Message Subject: Haunted memories
FAT-SKI
Posted 4/2/2012 11:49 AM (#550157)
Subject: Haunted memories

On this website, that I have only been a part of for a few months now, I have learned a lot, had some laughs and been intrigued by certain people and their comments.

As I was looking through the threads, we always talk about our best days on the water or the 'pigs' that we have caught over the years. Now I know that we are all human and have had some bad days on the water as well. I am curious to hear about some of the most memorable "bad" days on the water. Whether it is because you lost your PB, terrible weather, lost your favorite lure... ect...

A week after last years opener I was out on Lake Minnetonka. Got to the lake about 6AM. Got the boat launched and started. As soon as we got out of the bay I knew exactly where I was heading, One of my favorite spots in the whole state. Almost every time I go to this spot I either raise a fish, catch a fish or hook up and lose a fish. As I was driving to the spot my motor started to act funny, chugging along and white smoke coming out of the back of it like I had never seen before. Right before I get to my spot (couple hundred yards away) ... the boat seized up and died right there. At this point I was not sure what had just happened. I was trying to start the boat but was not able to do so. I disconnected and reconnected the battery, disconnected and reconnected the gas can. Went through ever option that I could possibly think of trying to get the boat started. Nothing that I did was going to get my boat back in working order.

I called one of my buddies who lives not to far away from the bay I was currently in. He was at work and not able to get off for another hour. I asked him if he would be able to tow me back to the launch. He said he would but it would take him at least 2-3 hours before he was there. So I decided to drop the trolling motor and see if I couldn't get over to my spot and at least try to fish for a while before he got there. Dropped the trolling motor in the water and it would NOT WORK EITHER!!! My brother (who was on the boat with me) told me "opps, I forgot to charge the battery last night..." "sorry man." At this point I'm peed off beyond belief. I told my brother to grab the paddles from the side and get us over to the spot. There are 20 mph winds on the lake, and some pretty good size waves, even with the protection of the bay. After about 50 yards he gave up and I had to paddle to the spot. It took me 30 minute to move to get to the spot with the wind. By the time we got there I was absolutely exhausted. I was not even sure that I had the energy to start tossing lures.

Either way I tried to stay positive and started tossing my bulldawg. I would say the first ten casts I was figure8ing every time as we all do. But every time I cast all I could think about was how peed off I was. So eventually I stopped 8ing boatside. As I am talking to my brother, I felt a thump on my line and instinctively set the hook, only to send my bulldawg right past my face at a thousand miles per hour and to watch the fish swim away. Now I am even more upset.... My trolling motor is dead, my motor is broken, I'm exhausted from paddling, I just lost a fish... And now my brother is saying "I'm Board, "when is Jordan going to get here." I swear I almost threw him out of the boat and made him swim home.

Trying to calm myself I continued fishing. As I was bringing the Bull dawg to the boat I noticed I had a follow. My heart started racing, I 8ed, she ate it and headed right for my prop.... SNAP! line got twisted in the prop, she shook her head and snapped the line. "GOD D@MNIT!" I screamed (plus a good amount of other four letter words) I had just lost, not only my favorite bull dawg, but the first one I ever bought as Musky angler. What a terrible start to my season.

After a little while, my buddy got there with his boat and brought us back to the launch. Took me two hours trying to get the boat on the trailer in the terrible wind. Cursing every time I opened my mouth. He asked if we wanted to go back on the water for a few hours. I just looked at him and Felt the fire balls burning in my eyes... "nope, I'm done!"

Two weeks later I found that my motor was shot and I could either spend $4,000 fixing it or by a new motor..... UGH!!! I wanted to crawl into a hole and die! The season had been open for almost a month. I had only been on the water one time.. and we all know how that went.

Thank god, I had a back up boat. But It was a little 12ft Alumicraft. Nothing but a trolling motor on the boat. No electronics or anything for that matter. I spent my whole season on that boat. I still caught fish, not as much as I think I could have, but fish none the less.

Anyway that is my story, hope to hear some other peoples "Haunted memories"

Thanks for reading

Edited by FAT-SKI 4/2/2012 11:55 AM
jonnysled
Posted 4/2/2012 12:01 PM (#550162 - in reply to #550157)
Subject: Re: Haunted memories

one time i dropped one ... it was big
Kirby Budrow
Posted 4/2/2012 12:48 PM (#550177 - in reply to #550157)

I lost what would have been my PB boatside 4 years ago on a showgirl. I was fully irate but then it got worse. My buddy was on the lake that day too. I was idling back to the landing just talking about loosing that fish when I hear a boat coming behind me. I looked just in time to see my bud's crestliner decal in may face!!!!!! He had turned just in time to only gouge a foot and half long line in the side of his boat from hitting the back corner of my Lund. Not a scratch on mine. (thats the good part). This is a case where staring at your GPS instead of what's in front of you can get you in trouble. We've had good laughs about that one ever since!

Edited by Kirby Budrow 4/2/2012 12:51 PM
esoxaddict
Posted 4/2/2012 12:49 PM (#550178 - in reply to #550157)

No such thing as a bad day on the water...

But... Back in 2005 I took a trip to the Petenwell flowage with another angler from the boards, whom I had never met. First night we decided to go out and try our luck, with our little cabin rental boat. There was a charge to rent a motor, which was by the day, and since we figured it would only be an hour or so we decided to just row out and throw a few casts. Stayed within sight of camp. Just about sunset, we realized that we had no lights. Basically fishing out of a row boat... Better head back. About the time I started rowing, the wind started blowing. I thought: "Great, I'm rowing into the wind. No problem, I'm a young guy, I'm in fairly decent shape." Still had half an hour of daylight. Pretty soon, it was nearly dark. Still rowing. Still blowing. Getting cold. I swore we were getting nowhere, but I didn't want to say anything. Totally dark, Still rowing. We can see by the lights on the shoreline that we're basically not moving. "WTF?? I've been rowing this godam tin bucket for at least an hour and a half!" Navigating by flashlight. Not your normal flashlight, mind you, but one of those little pocket Mag Lites. So here we are, out on a lake neither of us have ever seen, no motor, no lights, no map, no ANYTHING, except the orange light that we are now only somewhat sure is camp... Then she says "Oh my God, it's 8:30. Those lights haven't moved. Are we going backwards!?" So I stopped rowing, and I said "No, NOW we are going backwards!" Thought about ditching the boat and trying to swim back. Thought about a dropping an anchor and waiting until morning. Thought about just letting the boat drift aground and walking the shoreline, but by this time it was cold, and we had nothing but the clothes on our back. Not even a sweatshirt. So I decided to keep rowing. 9:00, 9:30. 10:00.... Finally about 10:30 we had gotten far enough to be out of the current and out of the wind enough to start making progress. Made it back to camp just after 11:00. Took 4 hours. The next day we went out to the same area (with a motor this time) started casting. What? How can I be hitting bottom?! Give me that oar! Yep. Giant sand flat. Water was less than 3 feet deep. Could have walked the boat back in 15 minutes.
Rowtroller
Posted 4/2/2012 6:55 PM (#550235 - in reply to #550157)
Subject: RE: Haunted memories

I was fishing with my son on Stone Lake of the MW Chain. I just got the boat on plane and she died. After several minutes I realized I had run out of gas. We were almost to the mouth of the short channel to Spider Lake so I threw the trolling motor in and away we went. The fortunate thing was that I had launched at the marina that morning. Just as we reached the NO Wake marker in Spider Lake the trolling motor slowly dies. I silently cussed my self out for being so stupid, but used it as a learning lesson for my son.
Didn't want to look like a total idiot so I began casting a Cowgirl not knowing exactly how deep of water we were in. I had a basic idea that we were in 15'-30' but without electronics we were fishing blind. Since it was like glass out, the pull of the Cowgirl was our only boat movement. My son just sat there, I imagine thinking what an idiot his father was. That was until I had an upper 40" fish up and around on several eights.
Suddenly he was up and casting. I had another fish up when we were only about 100 yds. from the launch.
My son never questions me now whenever we are fishing the abyss.
Kingfisher
Posted 4/2/2012 7:17 PM (#550243 - in reply to #550235)

It was the 115 Optimax year on the water that still haunts me. My wife and I bought a brand new Starcraft 1776 Super fisherman in 2004. I had chose the first year (2004)and the first 115 Optimax to be bought in Michigan. After about two weeks we noticed it was not running right at slower speeds. . I figured it was the gas or something. We headed to the Detroit river to fish Muskies and directly under the Ambassador bridge the brand new engine quits. Not really a crisis except we are right in front of 350 foot freighter who is now blowing his horn at us to get out of his way. I dropped my 24 volt trolling motor down and even at full power it seemed like we were not moving but we managed to get out of his way. I was able to get it restarted but it was really running bad and would not put the boat on plane. Lucky we had to go back to Wyandotte which was down stream. We trolled the Michigan side all the way back to about half a mile from the launch where it stalled again. W e were lucky we got back into the marina ramp as my trolling motor barely had enough power to fight the current of the Detroit river. That began a year long  battle with Mercury which ended up with them giving me a new 115 4 stroke to replace it. This engine fouled over 100 plugs before they replaced it.  It was the biggest nightmare I have ever gone through with a boat.  Now I have to change the oil in my motor about three times a year(every 80 hours) to keep the water out of the crank case.  The 115 optimax haunts me even today. Others have had better luck but we were not so fortunate. Our entire 2004 season was a shambles because of that engine. Mike

Edited by Kingfisher 4/2/2012 7:20 PM
firstsixfeet
Posted 4/2/2012 7:20 PM (#550244 - in reply to #550157)

One time I picked up a big one.....it had marks on it that made it appear that someone had dropped it...but then I dropped it..........it was big
muskymandan
Posted 4/2/2012 8:02 PM (#550251 - in reply to #550157)

Nothing really bad but dad was wearing gloves and threw my st croix combo out in 25 foot of water in the middle of nowhere. We spent 5 hours draggin bulldawgs across the bottom and finally got it back. The worst part was to see how upset my old man was during the whole ordeal. I was ready to just call it a day but he wouldn't give up. I still can't believe we got it back. In the process we ended up hooking a sunken sweatshirt also!
Udee2159
Posted 4/2/2012 8:21 PM (#550263 - in reply to #550157)

Last September on LOTW. Tough trip, high winds, cold weather, hail, etc.

The following happened during 1 day:

Had a follow from a 50-54" muskie, had him go around multiple times on a Figure 8. The fish made a quick power move towards the bait, but I pulled it away from him instinctively not waiting to feel the weight of the fish. Down to the depths he went.

Moved to another spot, started fishing a good point with current moving. Good fish 42-45" comes into investigate. I start moving around in a Figure 8, he made a power move...I wait for the weight of the fish!...BOOM! drive the hooks home and drove them hard. FISH ON! Press the thumb bar on my Abu Garcia Revo reel and...the thumb bar doesn't disengage. The reel is stuck with an angry muskie on 4 feet of leash. I scramble to try and get the thumb bar up and then re-press it with no luck. 5 seconds later I watch a musky break free. (side note: will never buy an Abu Garcia product ever again)

Try to move on, two lost fish, frustrated. Fish through that spot with no more active follows. Move to another spot, first cast *CRACK*, brand new for the season Legend Tournament "The Jerk" breaks in half. Great! In a matter of 4 hours, I mess up a monster, lose a nice fish, break my abu, and break my new Legend Tournament.

But! Oh wait, there's more!

That night, putting the past behind me, I go out to fish the evening bite. I look for a lucky lure. I find it... A jointed Depth Raider given to me by Tom Gelb. Awesome lure, hooks razor sharpe, and in a LOTW special custom color. 10 casts in, SMASH, I hook up and catch a nice little musky right off the bat. Nothing big, but it helped the confidence.

I'm starting to forget about my earlier mishaps, thinking that my luck is changing for the better. Then I tick, yes *tick* a rock and all of a sudden by line feels light? Why? I reel up to find that my special custom colored Tom Gelb delivered Depth Raider has broken. The lip broke away from the lure and the lure was floating 20 yrds out on a rock reef. Luckily I was able to retrieve the lure, but it's forever broken.

I called it a night after that. Worst fishing day of my life.
short STRIKE
Posted 4/2/2012 8:52 PM (#550270 - in reply to #550263)

the worst I can recall is one of my first memories ice fishing.. My family open water fished quite a bit, but the cabin was inaccessible in the winter so Ice fishing was non existent for us... Well one saturday my Dad took my brother and myself to one of his buddies permanents on a TC suburban lake... I think it was long lake in new brighton. We arrived at the shack, and being a shy 7 year old I kinda stood by the door just listening to the BS being thrown around...

First mishap was getting my fingers shut in the door of the ice shack... 4 of them to be exact.

After the whimpering subsided My brother and I went outside to play on the ice, well unbeknownst to me my bro had filled in a drilled hole with slush... he came up and slugged me in the back so I would chase him, which I did, and that strategically filled hole worked beautifully. In my leg went, all the way to my hip. and hurt like hell.
Now the old man has to be irritated but he didn't show it... so he gets me in the shack and off with the snow pants, boot and sock, and instructs me to rotate the wet articles over the daisy sunflower to dry them out, of course I got distracted and started my sock on fire...
After getting everything nearly dry except the crispy gold toe, it was time to head out, but I wouldn't put my still damp boot on my foot with no protection, so I wore my dads stocking hat as a sock inside my boot.
Lastly to cheer me up, it was off to McDonalds on the way home, well as the dissapointment of the day was subsiding we were leaving the fast food joint, me with my fries in hand when one of my dads friends kiscked my one foot into the other from behind me and I tripped and my fries went all over the sidewalk. I caught no fish, allmost lost some fingers and a leg, nearly set a shack on fire, and spilled this chubby kids favorite fries on the sidewalk. Can't believe I ever ice fished again, but I love it to this day.
Posted 4/2/2012 9:27 PM (#550279 - in reply to #550157)

Short Strike. GREAT story! Made me laugh!
Tim R
Posted 4/3/2012 5:27 AM (#550318 - in reply to #550157)

One of my first muskie experiences was with a Muskie addict over 20 years ago on the Crowe River in eastern Ontario in November. We had to use an axe to cut the boat out from all the ice surrounding the boat.After 2 days of tossing muskie lures,that began to fell like 50lb weights,I grabbed my bass rod with 8lb test and tossed out a Mepps muskie killer.It felt so nice on the body...But of course on the second cast,tossing into a weed bed, a giant hit the lure and swept sideways..We saw the fish and freaked in excitement ! Needless to say,it made me want to cry as my line snapped like thread.The fishing gods had shown me no mercy...Thankfully a big pot of chilli was waiting to take the cold and disappointment away.For some sick reason,muskie fishing became my passion from that weekend on,and the bass rod never saw the boat again after August.
Almost-B-Good
Posted 4/3/2012 6:58 AM (#550322 - in reply to #550157)

Lots of bad days on the water for different reasons, but this one stands out. We were fishing Lac Seul in summer. Launched at Hudson and headed up past Devil's Elbow to fish walleyes. My friend that lived in Hudson was along with us making three in my 16' boat with a 50 HP, three tanks of gas, and a livewell full of water and minnows. We hit the elbow and the motor sputtered and died. Strange, we usually got about 36 miles out of a tank and we'd only covered about 27. Oh, well, might have been a short fill on that tank, change tanks and we're off, right? Wrong. Changed tanks and pulled the starter rope and pulled and pulled and pulled and finally it started to sputter. Caught it with the choke, let it run a few seconds and took the choke back off. Gave it the gusto and cough, choke, die. Pulled and pulled and pulled and pulled and it started idling roughly. By then we heard loud rumbling, oh-oh. The sky was turning black, the wind was getting gusty and switching directions with every gust. The rumbling turned into flashes with roars of thunder and we were sitting ducks. We puttered to shore and hid under some short trees with the idea that the tall trees would get hit first if it happened. The wind whipped the trees, the lightening sizzled, the thunder was deafening and we sat there trying to make believe there were no bad days fishing. Debated the motor problem and thought it might be a bad coil that it only was running on one cylinder of the two. Decided to wait a little bit after the storm passed over to let it cool some more. OK, here we go. Pulled and pulled and pulled and pulled and pulled and it finally fired. Started limping home at fast idle speed because every time we gave it more gas it died (we tried that about five times before we learned)and you know how much fun rope starting a 50HP is. Oh, and did I mention that the wind had changed and we were now heading into whitecaps about two to three feet high for the first long stretch running East? It took us almost five hours to limp back to the ramp and when we got the boat home I discovered there was a cracked spot in the block where a rod bearing tried to push through to freedom in the outside world. You could see a browninsh ooze coming out of the crack and that was probably the end of our trip with three days to go. Tried running a resort motor on the boat and no dice as I had a 20" transom. Tried to rent a long shaft motor of any HP in town, no dice again. Tried fishing out of a rental boat and all I heard was my partner good guying about the seats were too hard, there was no back support, I won't fish from one of theese again etc., etc., etc. Left early and surly. "A bad day fishing is better than a good day at work?" BS! People that say that have never had a BAD day fishing.
Hammskie
Posted 4/3/2012 9:27 AM (#550357 - in reply to #550157)

I empathize with boat troubles, but STUFF can't haunt my memories like a FISH can.

Last year on Mille Lacs w/ Mak51... big ass fish comes in on the up-rip... goes around several times on the figure 8... she picks up a head of steam down every straight away so I race the Pounder down the gunnel and stop it right in her face... a split second of dead silence as she makes the whole thing gone... and POP goes the crimp on my 130# flouro leader. The fish thrashes on the surface for 3-4 seconds and swims away.

Edited by Hammskie 4/3/2012 9:55 AM
Posted 4/3/2012 9:50 AM (#550361 - in reply to #550157)

might want to try 180lb leaders this year Hamm!
esoxaddict
Posted 4/3/2012 11:29 AM (#550370 - in reply to #550157)

Two years ago on Eagle, fishing down by Skye's... Threw a cast, and here comes the biggest fish I have ever seen. Wider then my boots. "Mike.. Mike... holy S---t" So I speed up the lure, here she comes. Started my first turn with her nose right up on the lure, gills flaring, mouth open.. "she's gonna eat. I got this one..." I thought to myself. Just then, Samantha sees the fish, and FREAKS OUT. Jumping up and down, pointing, and screaming "OH MY GOD BABY, YOU GOT HER!!!" Well with this, the fish takes a giant crap, and off like a rocket. I had no idea they could swim that fast. Nobody said a word in the boat for the next two hours.

I took her out in the yard taught her how to cast, taught her all about lures and figure 8's, wide turns, tools, sharp hooks, what to cast at, how to make sure nobody gets in each other's way. I made sure we got her rain hear and waterproof boots, rods, reels, a tackle box, her own tools, polarized glasses... I spent two months with her getting ready for this trip. The only thing I forgot to mention was "don't scare the fish away"... Got a 41 and a 48 that day, so it wasn't a total loss, but this fish dwarfed the 48. Seen some good fish up on Eagle. Biggest in the boat was 52. Had a few go around that were probably 54". 9 years chasing these fish, never seen one like that before.

Edited by esoxaddict 4/3/2012 11:31 AM
Chris Musselman
Posted 4/3/2012 12:26 PM (#550390 - in reply to #550157)

Photobucket
esoxaddict
Posted 4/3/2012 12:56 PM (#550406 - in reply to #550157)

We have a winner!
FAT-SKI
Posted 4/3/2012 12:59 PM (#550408 - in reply to #550406)

esoxaddict - 4/3/2012 12:56 PM

We have a winner!

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Took the words right off my keyboard

Edited by FAT-SKI 4/3/2012 1:00 PM
AndyM
Posted 4/3/2012 1:08 PM (#550412 - in reply to #550157)

Eagle Lake, ON. The white whale.
Lake Tomahawk, WI. Largest WI fish I've seen while fishing looked right at me and grinned as she threw gallons of water into the boat with her tail as she peaced out.

esoxaddict
Posted 4/3/2012 1:18 PM (#550416 - in reply to #550157)

Chris, you can't just post a picture like that and not tell the story. Let's hear it!
trolling king
Posted 4/3/2012 1:34 PM (#550424 - in reply to #550416)

That is one of those autoboats.
misterperch
Posted 4/3/2012 3:27 PM (#550446 - in reply to #550157)

Back in the early 70’s my stepdad used to take us kids up to Third River at big Winne. He loved to fish but also had the patience to deal with 4 boys 1 year to 14 years old. Being the second oldest I always wanted to help out. One trip I left my dad’s favorite rod and reel that he got before he married my mom, leaning up against the car and it ended up driven over and destroyed. He was upset, but did a good job of hiding it. I look back on that knowing now that we grew up poor and how much that good rod and reel cost, and it was replaced for a few years with a crap Zebco 808 combo from Holiday, that’s how little he would spend on himself. I hope to set the example of putting others first he set as I go through life. I will say this though; I have yet to catch as big a fish as he caught on that Zebco.

A few years later a friend and I took an after graduation trip planning to follow the entire shore of Leech lake fishing and camping on the way. The first day a storm came up and we spent the night beached and found out the tent leaked. Three nights later a bunch of drunks in a boat rammed us from behind so we were stuck doing repairs to the steering and prop on the water. They dang near tore the motor off our boat! Got to shore patched the rest up enough to get back to steamboat bay where we started our trip and hauled the boat out for real repairs. So much for our 2+ weeks planned for the adventure.

20 some years ago we set date in November to pull out the docks, boat hoists and boats at the in-laws lake place. My wife’s grandma bought the lakeshore acres for the place during the late 1930’s for $600 dollars. Everybody else showed up the night before and they decided to pull the stuff out that night and tie my boat up on the sand overnight. When I got there the next morning the wind had come up overnight and my boat was full of water, plus the temp was dropping. After rigging plywood to block the waves pumped out the boat then it started to spit freezing crap. My brother and brother-in-law pushed me out to wader depth and off I went across the lake to the landing I thought. Then it started snowing so hard that i can’t really see where I am going after taking my bearing behind an island got to the landing. I am lucky did not swamp the boat or run into rocks. Because I got off track they were waiting and worrying at the landing. Lesson learned, show up early, have the boat on the trailer before it gets cold. It is one of those things we at laugh now.

The one that haunts me every day, 20 and a half years ago when my oldest was born she had a lack of oxygen at birth that caused brain damage and a long list of health problems. Because of that my life and priorities are changed, and not all for the bad. I fish more than ever now, with my daughters and friends, plus I have learned kids are the best good luck charm for fishing. Also learned not to sweat the small stuff and have fun with my fishing buddies. So if you see an old guy with an old Tuffy Muskie Rampage at the landing unloading a kid out of her wheelchair into the boat, cut me some slack it is not that fast of a process, and stop by an say hi.

I hope all of you learn to enjoy fishing and life. Don’t sweat the small stuff, and believe me it’s all small stuff.
Mak51
Posted 4/3/2012 3:38 PM (#550449 - in reply to #550357)

Hammskie - 4/3/2012 9:27 AM

I empathize with boat troubles, but STUFF can't haunt my memories like a FISH can.

Last year on Mille Lacs w/ Mak51... big ass fish comes in on the up-rip... goes around several times on the figure 8... she picks up a head of steam down every straight away so I race the Pounder down the gunnel and stop it right in her face... a split second of dead silence as she makes the whole thing gone... and POP goes the crimp on my 130# flouro leader. The fish thrashes on the surface for 3-4 seconds and swims away. :-(

Yep, that story tops my list, absolute heartbreak.

Second to Hamm's story I've lost a couple Vermilion tankers in the OMG category, both my fault. Both fish lost as the result of bad hooks I put on my homemade bucktails and too tight of drag. One fish bent a hook and the other broke a hook. Still remember play-by-play how both fish went down. Giant Musky + Light Wire Hooks + Horsing on Tight Drag = FAIL... Lesson learned
Chris Musselman
Posted 4/3/2012 4:32 PM (#550466 - in reply to #550416)

esoxaddict - 4/3/2012 2:18 PM

Chris, you can't just post a picture like that and not tell the story. Let's hear it!

Backing the boat by myself, super excited to fish and was just moving a little too fast that day. Tied my boat up to the dock, was pulling out and look back to see my knot come undone and the boat drifting out into the lake. I jump out to grab the rope and completely forget to put the Jeep in park. I got all the way down to the end of the dock before the Jeep lost idle and goes barreling into the lake.
I jumped in, got my battery disconnected, threw her in neutral and still had to swim out to get the boat. Had 4 guys put boats in while I waited for the tow truck, not one offered to help. They were bass fishing so that's all I'll say about that.

Got it home, all fluids changed, electrical connections cleaned, ect... She's runs...
esoxaddict
Posted 4/3/2012 5:25 PM (#550479 - in reply to #550466)

Man, that sucks. Good that you were smart enough to shut the truck off before it was too late. So did 'ya fish anyway?
muskyNR
Posted 4/4/2012 12:24 PM (#550680 - in reply to #550479)

one of my worst memories took place about 5 years ago. i was backing my trailer into the water, but i had forgotten to tie the rope to my trailer and the boat started floating down river. after a cold swim i was able to get to it. i called my girlfriend and she brought me a change of clothes. i went on fishing but didnt see the first muskie that day
Sam Ubl
Posted 4/4/2012 4:00 PM (#550757 - in reply to #550361)

Guest - 4/3/2012 9:50 AM might want to try 180lb leaders this year Hamm!

Oh for sure, I hear the heavier the leader the better the crimp...

Scott
Posted 4/4/2012 4:06 PM (#550759 - in reply to #550157)

Just this last fall I had a nightmare haunted boat story... I went and grabbed the boat from storage the night before my trip. I got back around 9pm, pouring down rain and went on as usual by backing the boat up in the driveway. I've done it a thousand times. It's second nature for me... Well not this night! With the dark and rain pouring down it obstructed my vision. I could have swore I had at least another foot of clearance! I backed my 620 up and slammed my 9.9 kicker into the side of the brick house just outside of the garage. I barely felt it but knew it was bad when I woke the wife up from the other side of house and see her running out asking what the he'll happened. I look at the kicker and it's literally hanging on buy the fuel line and wires. I completely destroyed it! Luckily zero damage to the panther mount and my 620. Of course as dedicated Muskie anglers we don't think about the actual damaged at first. My first thought was "okay, I can still make it out on the water tomorrow". So I spent the next hour or so in the pouring rain disconnectingthe kicker from the boat, wrapped up wires to protect them and left the next morning to chase Muskie. Such a stupid mistake and it's amazing how you can do the same routine daily practically in your sleep but all it take is being off by inches to ruin a motor. Even in the pitch black and rain I could have sworn I wasn't even close to the side of the house. Completed embarrassing mistake but now I know to make sure I double check everything!
MuskyHopeful
Posted 4/4/2012 11:36 PM (#550919 - in reply to #550157)

I nominate this topic for all time greatest long blocks of text thread.

Kevin
Jump to page : 1 2
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)