Muskie Discussion Forums

Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Language | Blogs Search | Statistics | User Listing
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )
Moderators: Slamr

View previous thread :: View next thread
Jump to page : 1 2
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]

Muskie Fishing -> General Discussion -> good news,changes in laws regarding criminal records and admissablity into canada

Message Subject: good news,changes in laws regarding criminal records and admissablity into canada
Andy Myers Lodge
Posted 2/13/2012 11:41 AM (#538446)
Subject: good news,changes in laws regarding criminal records and admissablity into canada

Myself as well as other stakeholders of the Tourism Industry have just finished a Conference Call that was hosted by the Federal Minister of Citizenship & Immigration (the Hounourable Jason Kenney), as well as our local MP, Greg Rickford.

A policy announcement was made advising that effective March 01, 2012 a Special Public Policy will be put in place which will allow for a CBSA officer to grant a Temporary Resident Permit (TRP), to those individuals who have had only one minor conviction, where the sentence was less than 6 months in length. There will be no fee for this TRP, and the issuance of the TRP will be at the discretion of the CBSA official. However, it is understood that this special public policy should significantly reduce the number of inadmissible visitors to our country.

It was explained that the intent of the present Inadmissibility Policy was never to keep out people of good faith who have had only one minor conviction, and aren’t seen as a security or criminality threat. Government policy and law is not easy to change, and this was acknowledged as an interim solution. The government of the day will continue to work towards a longer term solution and we should all be thanking our MP Greg Rickford for his contribution in having this issue addressed, through his tireless efforts.

It should be noted that the Government does not want this Special Public Policy to be perceived that criminal acts are condoned in Canada, nor seen as a change indicating an open door policy to allow all criminals into Canada - but rather as an interim solution for allowing those individuals into Canada that do not present a security nor criminality threat to our country, and who simply made a one time error in judgement and now want to enjoy everything that our great country has to offer.

Hopefully this is a step in the right direction, and an official document is to be released next week providing further clarification on the above. We will keep you advised as further details become available.

Thanks, MIke

Mike Loewen
Patricia Regional Tourist Council
Tel. - (807) 223-6792
Fax - (807) 223-2465
[email protected]
bob
Posted 2/13/2012 12:17 PM (#538452 - in reply to #538446)
Subject: RE: good news,changes in laws regarding criminal records and admissablity into canada

Does this mean a person who had dui 15 years ago with nothing else on there record can cross the boarder and not get turned down and spoil everyones trip? After that happened we have never considered going to canada again. But if this is the case it could change a lot of peoples minds. I personally know 30 plus people that no longer go up north because we can't all go in our groups. we are all over 50 yrs old and some real hard as-es, not. Hey slow down and let me catchup guys I just had a hip replacement. Yup we are sure a threat to you canadians eh!
cast10K
Posted 2/13/2012 12:46 PM (#538456 - in reply to #538452)
Subject: RE: good news,changes in laws regarding criminal records and admissablity into canada

You never know how somebody is going to react to good news.
Shep
Posted 2/13/2012 3:20 PM (#538491 - in reply to #538446)

Andy Myers Lodge - 2/13/2012 11:41 AM

will allow for a CBSA officer to grant a Temporary Resident Permit (TRP), to those individuals who have had only one minor conviction, where the sentence was less than 6 months in length. the issuance of the TRP will be at the discretion of the CBSA official.

Please note the highlighted passages. This is still not a sure thing. You think the one guy at Rainy River is going to use his discretion to issue a TRP for free? hehehe Fat chance with that guy. I bet he still gets his $200 Immigration Violation fines.

If so, it sucks for my buddy that just last year spent like $400 getting his rehabilitation status finished!

Edited by Shep 2/13/2012 3:21 PM
gus_webb
Posted 2/13/2012 3:33 PM (#538496 - in reply to #538446)
Subject: Re: good news,changes in laws regarding criminal records and admissablity into canada

Good luck with your efforts... I can only imagine the uphill battle you must be facing. I'm guessing politicians are stuck either being perceived as letting criminals run rampant through Canada, or as keeping untold thousands of tourism dollars out for people who simply made a mistake.
Best of luck in your continued efforts; I hope this bit of good news is a sign of more to come.
bobbie
Posted 2/13/2012 6:53 PM (#538545 - in reply to #538496)
Subject: Re: good news,changes in laws regarding criminal records and admissablity into canada

Oh great now that all the bad guys can get in to canada, I don't think I will get a good nights sleep while I am there
MyliesPlace(Justin)
Posted 2/13/2012 8:48 PM (#538573 - in reply to #538496)

Here is a link to some of the first public comments from government regarding the upcoming changes.

It's been the most difficult issues facing many of us in the industry.

We look forward to sharing more official information when it becomes available.

http://www.kenoradailyminerandnews.com/ArticleDisplay.aspx?e=346834...
bdog
Posted 2/14/2012 8:14 AM (#538629 - in reply to #538446)

So when is this official and where can you find out the steps that need to be taken to get in? I hope to plan a trip for the musky opener if this is the real deal.

Anyone got anymore info?

Thanks!
Go North Young Man
Posted 2/14/2012 8:15 AM (#538630 - in reply to #538446)

I think the real issue that Canadian resorts are fighting is a soft economy paired with some key muskie fisheries in the U.S. that have been booming the last 7-8 years and are easier to get to: a shorter drive plus no border issues. I know a fair number of people who are taking vacations to fish St. Clair this year instead of Minnesota, the same people had been fishing Minnesota instead of Canada.

So this is good news for someone with a one-time DUI who really really really wants to go to Canada fishing muskies. Of course, there's not enough of those people to make a huge difference.

Maybe in the walleye fishing segment it will matter more? I've heard Herbeck talking about the importance of getting more families and walleye fishermen to stay at AML because muskie fishermen just aren't enough.
woodieb8
Posted 2/14/2012 8:52 AM (#538637 - in reply to #538446)

Thats great news. hopefully the u.s. will see this and extend the same courtesys to canadians entering the u.s.

Edited by woodieb8 2/14/2012 8:53 AM
whynot
Posted 2/14/2012 9:04 AM (#538641 - in reply to #538446)

I wonder what they mean by "minor conviction"? First time DWI's might not be considered a "minor" offense to them, especially if it was anything other than a mismedeanor level DWI. They should really come up with a list to take all the guess work out of this stuff.
bdog
Posted 2/14/2012 9:26 AM (#538651 - in reply to #538446)

Agreed! I wanna plan a trip but won't do so until I know for sure.
I did read that as long as jail time was less than 6 months its considered minor. So that would encompass misdemeanor DWI charges ...
whynot
Posted 2/14/2012 9:31 AM (#538653 - in reply to #538651)

Right, but they might apply their sentences for the equivalent crime in Canada. Canada treats certain crimes a lot more seriously than most of the states.
bdog
Posted 2/14/2012 9:57 AM (#538658 - in reply to #538653)

Good point.
tswoboda
Posted 2/14/2012 10:32 AM (#538668 - in reply to #538446)

They also take into consideration suspended jail sentences so even if you have never been in jail they will count that as jail time you were sentenced for.
bdog
Posted 2/14/2012 10:43 AM (#538669 - in reply to #538446)

Also a good point, jail time for a misdemeanor DWI is 90 days so...

I'm gonna send some emails and make some calls, ill keep you guys posted.
MyliesPlace(Justin)
Posted 2/14/2012 4:29 PM (#538747 - in reply to #538669)

We should be getting more info very soon as this is supposed to take effect March 1.

I cannot imagine it not helping with DUI's as this was the single biggest criminality issue that came into play since the borders tightened up.

Im sure most resort operators will be very quick to provide info as soon as we get it. We certainly want to help eligible potential guests that want to come visit Canada get here with as few hassles as possible.

Stay tuned, everyone.
bdog
Posted 2/14/2012 4:57 PM (#538754 - in reply to #538747)

MyliesPlace(Justin) - 2/14/2012 4:29 PM

We should be getting more info very soon as this is supposed to take effect March 1.

I cannot imagine it not helping with DUI's as this was the single biggest criminality issue that came into play since the borders tightened up.

Im sure most resort operators will be very quick to provide info as soon as we get it. We certainly want to help eligible potential guests that want to come visit Canada get here with as few hassles as possible.

Stay tuned, everyone.

Count me in for 3 trips a year if this is the case! Its been too long...
hawk
Posted 2/14/2012 5:39 PM (#538767 - in reply to #538446)

So I am going to Canada for the first time with friends and got a DUI back in 1988 I was told it would be no problem crossing as long as it was not with in 10 years is this right?
pigeontroller
Posted 2/14/2012 6:14 PM (#538780 - in reply to #538446)

Canadian have the SAME issues crossing into the USA! Sometimes we have to deal with US Customs AND then an Immigration checkpoint!
bdog
Posted 2/14/2012 6:36 PM (#538783 - in reply to #538767)

hawk - 2/14/2012 5:39 PM

So I am going to Canada for the first time with friends and got a DUI back in 1988 I was told it would be no problem crossing as long as it was not with in 10 years is this right?

When I did all the research after I got mine I was told:

1 DUI your good after 5, but you'll have to pay a fee for criminal rehabilitation. After 10 yrs your good to go, no fee.

2 DUI'S is inadmissible until 10 yrs has passed. Fee applies.

3 DUI'S, Dont even bother.

Also it should be noted that these time periods begin at the end of all jail time, probations, and fines paid, not the date of offense!
All dcicidions are ultimately up to the border crossing agent.

Edited by bdog 2/14/2012 6:38 PM
hawk
Posted 2/14/2012 7:38 PM (#538800 - in reply to #538446)

Thanks. Bdog
MyliesPlace(Justin)
Posted 2/14/2012 8:14 PM (#538808 - in reply to #538754)

bdog - 2/14/2012 4:57 PM

Better make it 4, Bdog. Sounds like you have some catching up to do.

bdog
Posted 2/14/2012 8:53 PM (#538818 - in reply to #538808)

MyliesPlace(Justin) - 2/14/2012 8:14 PM

bdog - 2/14/2012 4:57 PM

Better make it 4, Bdog. Sounds like you have some catching up to do.

Where do I sign up?
bdog
Posted 2/15/2012 10:24 AM (#538916 - in reply to #538446)

Too many reasons to list!
Personally I think they have the upper hand in the beer department.
Bourbon
Posted 2/15/2012 7:22 PM (#539007 - in reply to #538916)

Its f*cking near water!

Sort of like Canadian whiskey.
Eh?
troller
Posted 2/15/2012 8:13 PM (#539020 - in reply to #538446)

I'll take Wild Turkey or Jim Beam anyday .....
pigeontroller
Posted 2/15/2012 9:17 PM (#539042 - in reply to #539007)

Yup, nothin like good ole Amarican Whisky!
Louis
Posted 2/15/2012 9:27 PM (#539044 - in reply to #539020)

troller - 2/15/2012 8:13 PM
I'll take Wild Turkey or Jim Beam anyday .....

Good god man! That's just nasty! Me? I trust the Irish when it comes to whiskey. Powers, Jameson, Red Breast, etc...

Anyway, back on topic - this is great news. I have a few friends who will be excited to hear this!
Sackett
Posted 2/15/2012 9:34 PM (#539045 - in reply to #538446)

Personally I think you would see a noticeable jump in tourism dollars to enter Canadian resorts. There's a lot of groups out there that would take part in trips but do not because of DUI in the party. I've always thought a decent compromise would be to not allow the offender to drive or allow entrance of a vehicle owned by the offender, should either happen a stiff penalty could be at risk. That way the group can have it's fun and excitement and Canada can regain higher levels of U.S tourist income, as this is the only reason that this current proposal would even be on the table.
Jump to page : 1 2
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)