Muskie Discussion Forums

Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Language | Blogs Search | Statistics | User Listing
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )
Moderators: Slamr

View previous thread :: View next thread
Jump to page : 1 2 3
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]

Muskie Fishing -> General Discussion -> Would you support?

Would you support?
OptionResults
Yes203 Votes - [73.55%]
No73 Votes - [26.45%]

Message Subject: Would you support?
kevin cochran
Posted 12/4/2011 5:44 PM (#527261)
Subject: Would you support?

Simple Question:
Would you support catch and release for muskies in the state of Minnesota?
Propster
Posted 12/4/2011 6:07 PM (#527264 - in reply to #527261)
Subject: Re: Would you support?

Already do Kev. You must mean catch and release only, mandatory? I would.
Andrew Veach
Posted 12/4/2011 6:35 PM (#527272 - in reply to #527261)
Subject: RE: Would you support?

Even though I don't fish MN that much I would agree as well. In fact I think it should be mandatory in every state that has muskies. It will only help the future of the sport.
kevin cochran
Posted 12/4/2011 6:50 PM (#527279 - in reply to #527272)

Catch and release regulations for the state of MN concerning muskies.
CASTING55
Posted 12/4/2011 7:01 PM (#527282 - in reply to #527279)

any muskie fisherman would,but don`t think it will ever pass,that vacationer that got a 50 on a minnow won`t understand and probably doesn`t know about replicas.
horsehunter
Posted 12/4/2011 7:43 PM (#527289 - in reply to #527261)

Most muskie fishermen release all now, most that are targeting other species are not equiped for speedy sucessful release and a percentage die. By proposing catch and release only you are giving amunition to groups like PETA and others that claim we are tormenting animals for merly our own gratification.

this site needs a spell checker...at least I do

Edited by horsehunter 12/4/2011 7:46 PM
Pointerpride102
Posted 12/4/2011 7:53 PM (#527293 - in reply to #527289)

Harvest isn't always bad.
Esocidae
Posted 12/4/2011 8:43 PM (#527302 - in reply to #527261)

I am all for catch and release ,but I want the option to keep and true trophy if I choose to. States with Muskie population already have size limits some are to low ,but that's the state position on the issue. If we want to protect the fishery, education on proper release methods with proper tools should be the focus.
Posted 12/4/2011 9:11 PM (#527307 - in reply to #527289)

horsehunter - 12/4/2011 7:43 PM

Most muskie fishermen release all now, most that are targeting other species are not equiped for speedy sucessful release and a percentage die. By proposing catch and release only you are giving amunition to groups like PETA and others that claim we are tormenting animals for merly our own gratification.

I agree with horsehunter on this one. Don't get me wrong, I would love if everyone would practice catch and release, but I think making regulations will just be a stepping stone to further restrictions. Additionally, people that aren't regularly on the water would not have the knowledge of laws, and would likely not abide by them. I know of all kinds of lakes that have special restrictions on bass lengths (fish typically have to be 2" to 3" longer than state limits), but I constantly see guys with fish that aren't even close to legal.

I encourage and support catch and release for all species in all bodies of water (though I except the fact that some harvest is necessary for the fish and good fishing). I really do not think anyone should take it farther than that. Inform new musky anglers, walleye anglers, bass anglers, et cetera about proper techniques and equipment needed to handle muskies. I know that has helped significantly on my home waters.

I would, however, support bumping up size restrictions. Even though I just noted that some people will still kill illegal fish, at least there is the chance those individuals will get fined and perhaps they will think twice if they are aware the fish is not legal. Not sure what limits are in MN, but I think a 45" or 50" limit should be set in all states that carry muskies.
Pointerpride102
Posted 12/4/2011 9:20 PM (#527309 - in reply to #527307)

Guest - 12/4/2011 8:11 PM

horsehunter - 12/4/2011 7:43 PM

I agree with horsehunter on this one. Don't get me wrong, I would love if everyone would practice catch and release, but I think making regulations will just be a stepping stone to further restrictions. Additionally, people that aren't regularly on the water would not have the knowledge of laws, and would likely not abide by them. I know of all kinds of lakes that have special restrictions on bass lengths (fish typically have to be 2" to 3" longer than state limits), but I constantly see guys with fish that aren't even close to legal.

Do you constantly call law enforcement then? It is the anglers responsibility to know the laws of the water they are fishing on, regardless of the special restrictions. Saying, "Oh I didn't know" will still get you a ticket.
Posted 12/4/2011 10:01 PM (#527319 - in reply to #527261)

I would support C&R only on our native waters like Leech, Cass, Winnie, Little Boy, Wabedo, Etc.

Stocked lakes I think the 48" is good.

JS

bturg
Posted 12/4/2011 11:35 PM (#527327 - in reply to #527261)

would...
happy hooker
Posted 12/5/2011 6:26 AM (#527335 - in reply to #527327)

theres a theory 'not mine' but only bring it up to be devils advocate ,,,that if you have something be only catch and release it gives groups like PETA a chance to play the 'abuse of wildlife' angle because your not using that wildlife for food anymore

also there is alot of opinions by non muskie anglers NOW that if muskies are always released then why keep stocking has many??? I hope we know hooking mortality is has low has we want to believe.

Edited by happy hooker 12/5/2011 6:30 AM
sworrall
Posted 12/5/2011 7:44 AM (#527340 - in reply to #527261)

May be tough to get the DNR to support, and definitely will be an issue with stocking 'politics'.

Ontario placed the size limit on trophy water at the upper confidence limit or close enough that harvest would be so close to zero it would be negligible, and the lions share of the fish caught that are large enough to harvest are still released.
nocturnalmotors
Posted 12/5/2011 7:45 AM (#527341 - in reply to #527261)

C&R only. 1 fish in possession over 50".
Silver Scale
Posted 12/5/2011 8:19 AM (#527346 - in reply to #527261)

54 inch minimum on trophy lakes capable of producing fish of this size. Leech, Bemidji, Cass, Mil Lacs, Vermilion, etc. Rest of the state leave at 48 inch. Study lakes like Elk, etc leave as catch and release.

Curious as to manadorty catch and release on lakes like Lac Seul if it's made any difference in population or increased the size structure?
Muskie Treats
Posted 12/5/2011 8:43 AM (#527349 - in reply to #527340)

sworrall - 12/5/2011 5:44 AM

May be tough to get the DNR to support, and definitely will be an issue with stocking 'politics'.

I think that we in MN know from the last couple years that DNR support means about as much as 3 squares of TP lately.

Right now with the current budget issues with the DNR fisheries there is ZERO money for any new projects. Translation: stocking new lakes is probably a no-go and there's a very real possibility the DNR may have to cut back in future years if the license increase doesn't pass. Knowing this what do we do as muskie anglers to mitigate this problem? C&R is one thing that has come up (C&R on native lakes should already be in place IMOP anyway).
bturg
Posted 12/5/2011 8:58 AM (#527352 - in reply to #527261)

I like Sworrall's idea bump it to 54
Pointerpride102
Posted 12/5/2011 9:23 AM (#527356 - in reply to #527341)

nocturnalmotors - 12/5/2011 6:45 AM

C&R only. 1 fish in possession over 50".

This isn't possible.
Jason Bomber
Posted 12/5/2011 9:42 AM (#527360 - in reply to #527261)

54" or 55" sounds good on the lakes that can realisticly put out a state record, and those waters with low-zero stocking.
bn
Posted 12/5/2011 9:43 AM (#527361 - in reply to #527261)

as others have said...having a 48" statewide is pretty good but going to something higher would be the next step...54" would be great and still allow the occasional true fish of a lifetime to be harvested...getting statewide C & R to go thru I think is not realistic
happy hooker
Posted 12/5/2011 9:52 AM (#527364 - in reply to #527356)

for us in Minn we hear this all the time especially on outdoors radio shows,,,Muskies may not eat walleyes but they dominate the main lake structures pushing walleyes off and scattering them making them harder to catch.
in regards to Mile Lacs the muskies and the popular smallmouth are released and walleyes are kept which will change the balance of the lake.

total C&R gives the budget an excuse to raise and stock less muskies,,,I say NO to total release
Landonfish
Posted 12/5/2011 10:39 AM (#527367 - in reply to #527261)

I would support in any state.
Posted 12/5/2011 11:57 AM (#527381 - in reply to #527261)

Interesting question. My son is a senior in high school and attending a "government day" through high schools with legislators in MN. The "bill" he is bringing forward for discussion by students attending the event is to raise the size of muskie that can be kept in the state to 52 inches or better. Everything smaller would be a manditory release. While I like your idea of all catch and release even better, my son is suggesting a significant increase in manditory release. This is the "big issue" that he will be addressing at this state-wide event.
It only makes sense. The amount of money and time it takes to rasie a big muskie -- the effect bigger fish could have on tourism -- the opportunity more more people that fish to catch a trophy --- all good reasons to rasie the size limit or make all muskie fishing catch and release only.
anzomcik
Posted 12/5/2011 11:59 AM (#527382 - in reply to #527261)

I dont think a pure C&R would be feasable. How ever I dont live in MN but i would like to see in my state or any state for that matter to have a "Musky Stamp" The stamps revenue would go to increase stocking or keeping the fingurlings through the winter to have them get larger... things related to musky.

Also no one can legally keep a musky with out a musky stamp. So that way when a person chooses to keep a musky of legal size they have helped replace that fish by purchaseing the stamp.

As most people who are not musky fisherman who keep a musky are doing so to mount it. The taxidermist would have to ask to see a musky stamp, if there isnt one they would report it.

It isnt perfect but it is work in progress in my brain

Edited by anzomcik 12/5/2011 12:05 PM
Pointerpride102
Posted 12/5/2011 12:09 PM (#527385 - in reply to #527382)

anzomcik - 12/5/2011 10:59 AM

I dont think a pure C&R would be feasable. How ever I dont live in MN but i would like to see in my state or any state for that matter to have a "Musky Stamp" The stamps revenue would go to increase stocking or keeping the fingurlings through the winter to have them get larger... things related to musky.

Also no one can legally keep a musky with out a musky stamp. So that way when a person chooses to keep a musky of legal size they have helped replace that fish by purchaseing the stamp.

As most people who are not musky fisherman who keep a musky are doing so to mount it. The taxidermist would have to ask to see a musky stamp, if there isnt one they would report it.

It isnt perfect but it is work in progress in my brain

If most musky anglers are already catch and release, who would buy the stamp?
Posted 12/5/2011 12:10 PM (#527386 - in reply to #527261)

I think a statewide regulation of C&R only would be great, but I would want to allow the DNR to make exceptions for specific bodies of water (sort of like JS's suggestion).
BNelson
Posted 12/5/2011 1:00 PM (#527395 - in reply to #527261)

who would buy the stamp Pointer? really? and you went to the same college as I did? I would think a good % of musky anglers would buy the stamp if they knew the money was going to stocking the waters they fish.....duh. dnr budgets getting cut is going to mean less stocking..so a stamp that would put more money into stocking makes sense.. I know I would buy one and have zero plans to thump a musky...

Edited by BNelson 12/5/2011 1:04 PM
CASTING55
Posted 12/5/2011 1:15 PM (#527396 - in reply to #527395)

I would buy a stamp just incase a big one died on me,I was told by a taxidermist that if a fish were to be kept he still suggest a replica because it will look better,but will take a mold of the fish and make the replica from that.
jonnysled
Posted 12/5/2011 1:15 PM (#527397 - in reply to #527261)

smellie ... you went to point? never knew that.

tax-for-use by installing a stamp-fee = slippery slope. you might be surprised how much resistance you would get for that. how many people are hard-core musky fishermen vs. weekend warriors or generalists. that number is really important and although i'm sure you and many would do a bunch, i'm not interested in starting a stamp collection for pheasants, grouse, deer, muskies, smallies etc... plus in your life it's just you. start to multiply your "tax" to families and then consider the resistance you may get.

this one was debated pretty thoroughly in another thread relating to Wisconsin ... maybe look at it, or let's re-hash it. it was a dandy.

Jump to page : 1 2 3
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)