Muskie Discussion Forums

Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Language | Blogs Search | Statistics | User Listing
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )
Moderators: Slamr

View previous thread :: View next thread
Jump to page : 1 2
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]

Muskie Fishing -> Lures,Tackle, and Equipment -> Products that exceed your expectations

Message Subject: Products that exceed your expectations
RBC
Posted 8/7/2011 11:51 AM (#510773)
Subject: Products that exceed your expectations

I am not sure that this is the right place for this but I thought it would be interesting. My wife and I were talking the other day about how rare it is these days to have your expectations exceeded when you buy something. Cars and trucks break down too often, your cell phone dies after 3 months, the fridge you bought craps out after only 3 years, etc. I can think of only three things in the last few years that fall into the "exceeded" category: (no, I have no affiliation with any of these companies)

Amsoil 100:1 - I mix it about 75:1 and use it in everything from my weed whip to chainsaw. No more 3 different cans of mixed gas around. Works great (this was on the recommendation of a small engines guy)

Crucial.com - if you want to increase the speed of your computer try it out. Very easy and it worked great (this was on the recommendation of a tech guy)

Our Schwinn elliptical machine - I don't know how many hours we have spent on it over the last 5 years but the thing still works like it is new.

Unfortunately these were the only ones we could come up with in the last 5 years or so. (does this mean I shop at a certain big-box retailer too much?)

Anyone care to add any of their best?

sworrall
Posted 8/7/2011 1:15 PM (#510784 - in reply to #510773)
Subject: RE: Products that exceed your expectations

My Nikon cameras.
My T2i Canon camera.
My Just Encase boxes.
My Frabill R2Tech flipover...toasty in there.
My Frabill ice fishing Suit. Warm...beyond warm.
My 90 HP Opti...best motor I have run.
My Aqua-Vu Micro, that thing is way cool
jonnysled
Posted 8/7/2011 2:46 PM (#510795 - in reply to #510773)
Subject: Re: Products that exceed your expectations

'89 Mercedes Benz 300SE ... as good as it was when it was new. my son who was brought home from the hospital in it as an infant now drives it as his first set of wheels.

my 1982 Kawasaki kz1000 that is cooler now than when it was new

my cub cadet tractor that still cuts flat 18 years later

my shimano calcutta's that just work year in and year out ...

my cleveland launcher that still puts the ball long (for an old man) and in the short grass ...

and my made-in-wisconsin allen edmonds shoes that last forever ...

my stihl 026 chain saw that is compact and works great whenever i need it even though i don't use it very often ... a college graduation present LOL ... likely the best gift i ever got!!

my yamaha grizzly atv ... even though i've only had it a few years it's the most versatile "toy" i've ever owned.
chipvet
Posted 8/7/2011 3:00 PM (#510796 - in reply to #510773)

MY 1980 ranger boat-everything still works and boat is used a ton
Same with my 1980 Merc classic 50
1960 Browning Belgium 12 Auto
1958 Winchester Model 42 410 pump
1988 Lawnboy
1994 Honda 300 AYV
lambeau
Posted 8/7/2011 3:05 PM (#510798 - in reply to #510773)

Cabela's WindShear wool sweater

fleece-lined Glacier Gloves

fishing and hunting every fall when it's cold and windy and rainy i'm reminded just how much i love these two things.

J.Sloan
Posted 8/7/2011 7:30 PM (#510823 - in reply to #510773)

Old Remington 870 12 gauge, bought it from my Uncle when I was 13.
Ruger M77 .308 I bought when I was 12. Killing machine.
Toyota Tacoma 4 cylinder, 1996. As bullet proof as they come.
Full body camo suit I bought when I was 19 from Gander, reversible snow/fall camo. Still holding together.
Mac G4 computer, still kicking and performing after 8 years, which is a dinosaur when it comes to technology.
Under Armor cold weather base layer. Cost for top, bottom, socks, facemask was around $140 when I bought them 4 years ago. Always thought UA was a gimmick. One of the best purchases I've ever made.

JS
bridgeman
Posted 8/7/2011 7:54 PM (#510826 - in reply to #510773)

Danner Canadian Outfitter Hunting Boots. Resoled Once.
My buddies thought i was whacked 18 years ago when i spent $200 bones on a pair of boots. Hands down the best leather i ever seen on boots.

I'll 2nd Under Armor
BenR
Posted 8/7/2011 9:02 PM (#510848 - in reply to #510773)

SA Sharkskin fly line, unreal, better than the hype.
MuskyHopeful
Posted 8/7/2011 9:26 PM (#510853 - in reply to #510773)

My adidas golf shoes. Why did I wait so long to try a pair?

My R-11 driver. Straight as a string and long. Considering the old fart that swings it.

Kevin
randers41
Posted 8/7/2011 9:29 PM (#510855 - in reply to #510773)

Russell Hunting Boots ( Made in Wisconsin). Handmade for your feet. Best money ever spent
Canada Goose Down Parkas ( Serious Warmth)
St Croix Legend Tournament Musky rods
Patagonia Capilene Long underwear
On Plane
Posted 8/7/2011 9:36 PM (#510858 - in reply to #510773)

Timberland footwear. Had a pair for 7 years and the still feel new.
Irish setter boots. I guide turkeys in the spring, and big game in Northern British Columbia. Boots weren't made to go through what I put them through. Setters get the nod.
And of course my Benelli Nova. Owned it for over 10 years, and I'll never need another one.
**And my Ka-Bar knife. Butchered everything from grouse to moose with it.
reelman
Posted 8/7/2011 10:11 PM (#510864 - in reply to #510773)

Millenium M100 tree stand - the best, most comfortable tree stand I've ever sat in and I've sat in my share.
Swarovski 8x30SLC binoculars - without a doubt the best piece of sporting equipment I've ever bought! They might be expensive but they are worth every penny. If I lost them today I would be buying another pair 1st thing in the morning.
Randall knife - again expensive but worth it.
1951 Winchester M70 in 300H&H, I have quite a few Pre-64 M70's but this one is my favorite, it shoots 3/4" or less groups all day long regardless of what I feed it and I haven't had to touch the scope since I sighted it in 7 or 8 years ago.
One thing I've come to realize is that if you want good equipment that will last a lifetime us the theory "buy once - cry once" Buy cheap and you will be buying more cheap stuff until you finally buy quality.
shaley
Posted 8/7/2011 10:28 PM (#510865 - in reply to #510864)

870 built in 59, 1100 built in 67, Interarms 300 mag, no clue how old but older than my 1100, my current boat still all original after 20 years, Easley custom fillet knife, 23 years only been sharpened twice and has cleaned more fish than I care to count. My heater/cooker for ice fishing, 24 years old and been through hell and back a few times and still running strong. Muelea Grizzley hunting knife, took apart 2 elk and was still sharp....
thedude
Posted 8/7/2011 10:45 PM (#510869 - in reply to #510864)

My Calstar pounder rod from Franks Customs. Hands down the best rod I've ever used.

Baffin winter boots. almost too warm.

50hp fuel injected yamaha four stroke. Fuel efficient and reliable

Bucher split rings. Replace all my rings with them

Calcutta TEs. The best reel made, hands down

Heritage trailers.
jranderson
Posted 8/8/2011 7:23 AM (#510880 - in reply to #510773)

I can't help noticing that most products on this list were not made in the last decade. My list goes along the same theme.

1945 Farmall h. Starts every time I push the button.
1942 Browning A5 12 guage. A gift from my grandfather. Has killed more fowl than bird flu.
1984 Chevrolet K10. Still as good as the day it was built.
1969 Starcraft Jupiter V. I did a remodel on it this past winter and didn't even have to replace the floor.
1973 Mercury 850. Motor on the Starcraft. Purrs like a kitten.
JBush
Posted 8/8/2011 8:16 AM (#510886 - in reply to #510773)

I agree, lots of stuff on this list that's far from the latest and greatest.

-Lowrance x15mt. Still the best sonar+plotter combo I've used. Simple to operate, does exactly what's needed, never given me a hiccup since 2003. Push a button for daily solunar stuff, even the time and date updates automatically every year. My HDS is still an hour behind.

-Legend Plows, Perchbaits and Outkasts. Consistent action, highly durable parts and paint, all of them catch fish. They just don't fall apart. Easy to re-tune back after getting smacked around in the net or on bottom.

-Cabelas Magnum Guide Series Tackle Bag. Bought it in 2004, came with ten Plano cases and my initials embriodered on it. Can't break the straps, all the zippers still mint, hard plastic bottom that won't let water in when sat on snow or ice. I've had a lot better luck with Cabela's house-labelled stuff than Bass Pro's. This bag will hold over sixty cans of beer when you take the tackle and stuff out. Straps are and zippers are bomb-proof. A fishin road trip or camp-fish must for me.

-Yamaha outboards, Lund boats. Lots of hard hours early and late season, zero issues. Boat is an '03 and every single electrical component works like new.

-Musky Mayhem's 10 and 13 blades. I get them from Thornes, and they're not cheap. But that blade has something about it fish like. I tie my 'tails with lots of other 10 and 13 blades and the Mayhem ones are the ones with the most damage. It really is noticable.

-Tuf-Line. Still an inexpensive, easy to find line that has never given me a problem.

-American Fishing Wire for making leaders, from 150 to 300lb test.

-Jakes. Heard lots of stories about bad ones but I've owned dozens and never had a bad one. Caught fish on most of them.

-Jiffy augers.

-Knipex cutters. Hard to justify the $ at first, that feeling lasts about two hours. An important tool for the safety of fish and fisherman alike.

-Tackle Industries rods. The service alone, as well as the product. Servide went way above what I expected.

-Daiwa Sealines from the little 27s to the 47s. Best counter reels I've used.

-Downeasters, bomb-proof.

-Rapala's rubber-handled, fold out 6" filet knife. All their knives are great, this one is my favorite.

-Can't think of anything bad about Minn Kota Powerdrives or Maxxums.

-Scotty downriggers.

-OffShore OR12 boards.

Edited by JBush 8/8/2011 8:28 AM
gtp888
Posted 8/8/2011 8:57 AM (#510890 - in reply to #510773)

•   Cabela's Honker sweater.  Weird name and expensive, but worth every penny! HEAVY wool sweater that has a windproof barrier. 
  •   Just about anything with the Carhartt label.
muskie-addict
Posted 8/8/2011 10:03 AM (#510898 - in reply to #510890)

1989 6hp two-lung, two-stroke pull start Johnson outboard. Served my father well, then my stepfather, now me as a kicker for a month or two of walleye trolling. As reliable as a sunrise.

LaCrosse Iceman boots. My mother bought them for me when I was 14 I think. My feet were growing 3 sizes at a time during those years, so she bought size 13s figuring I'd grow into them. She bought them just as my feet quit growing. So, I packed 3-4 pairs of sox under them for the next 19 years. Finally, the rubber dry rotted. The leathers showed some slight wear, but were the next best thing to perfect when I put them out on the curb. Those boots were with me on some fantastic outings. If you could pan down on my scrapbook photos, you'd see them on my feet holding lots of deer antlers and fish. If only they could talk....

My 2001 Silverado. Just turned 200k miles on Saturday. Most major thing I've done to it was replace a fuel pump. Starting to rust a tad finally, ABS is fried, but it keeps on a truckin'. That truck could tell some stories too.

Marlin 25N bolt rimfire. Another gift from my mother. Dubbed "the garden gun" by Marlin. Great first gun, very reliable and deadly accurate. About all you have to do is keep it clean and keep aiming at stuff.

Redfield binoculars. I bought a pair of 10x50 binocs from the Gander Mtn in Eau Claire back in high school. Bought those and a deer rifle with the money I earned when I got my first real job shearing Xmas trees out in the sand country of Jackson Co., Wis. Those binocs are still as clear and sharp as most pairs of binocs that say some high end name like Nikon. Not bad for a $239 pair of off brand optics. Been bounced around alot in the boat, in the truck and on countless days in the field since.

Posted 8/8/2011 11:16 AM (#510910 - in reply to #510773)

Filson Merino Wool socks. Expensive, but hands down the most durable and comfortable socks I've every worn. Winter Camping, Dog-sledding, Deer Hunting or just for laying around the house.

Steger Mukluks. Simple concept, exceptional results.

Browning BLR .308. Light, fast and very durable gun. Bought it new in 84.

I'll second Patagonia Capilene Underwear.

Capt.Blaine
Posted 8/8/2011 11:27 AM (#510914 - in reply to #510910)

Only 1 item comes to mind right now. That would be my 3 Just Encase Boxes.
Posted 8/8/2011 12:32 PM (#510921 - in reply to #510773)

I used to spend about 20 days a year in Jan. and Feb. ice fishing in the BWCA for Lake and Brook Trout. That was when I was single, blah blah blah.

They are the real deal. A cold weather boot only, not for rainy weather as the more breathable pairs aren't waterproof. The pair weigh less than one "normal" winter boot. That is very important as one lb. one your feet is equivalent to 10 on your back in regards to physical effort.

You will snow-shoe or walk much further, have much drier, warmer feet as well as feet/shins that aren't sore from stiff boots.

Captain
Posted 8/8/2011 12:36 PM (#510922 - in reply to #510910)

MartinTD - 8/8/2011 12:04 PM

Guest - 8/8/2011 11:16 AM
Steger Mukluks. Simple concept, exceptional results.

I didn't know what these were so I googled them. LMAO. Seriously?

I thought the same thing until I slipped a pair on. AMAZING. Its like wearing a pair of slippers. Super warm and comfortable.

Regarding the things exceeding expectations, here is my list:

suzuki 150 4 stroke outboard. Words cannot describe how awesome this thing is
my german shorthair pointer - I have owned/trained several, but this one is very impressive. I actually enjoy walking through the field behind someone because he finds birds the others missed.

Navionics app for my smartphone. Absolutely hands down the best $13 I have ever spent. I use this to quickly locate spots at home, then find them on my HDS. Its just easier to move around with the touch screen.
Beretta A390 - bought it for myself as a HS graduation gift. Worth more now than I paid for it. Amazing gun, the shooter is sometimes sketchy though.
Proline point blank carbon fiber compound bow. Still faster than many bows today.
Thermacell - I was skeptical at first that they would work, but after 2 years of use they amaze me. Deer stand, deck, campfire, boat, garage, works great for keeping those pesky mosquitos and even lake flies away.
tundrawalker00
Posted 8/8/2011 1:29 PM (#510931 - in reply to #510784)

Second the Frabill Ice Suit. Also my Sorrells, purchased in 1989 and still kicking!
tmusky
Posted 8/8/2011 2:04 PM (#510938 - in reply to #510773)

Great thread! Hope it keeps going. My Danner boots are awesome. My Ruger M77 .25-06 is right there too, as is my Orvis fly rod. Wish I could list a vehicle here, but sadly, I cannot.
C.Painter
Posted 8/8/2011 2:19 PM (#510939 - in reply to #510773)

Lacrosse Ice kings.... on there 17th year... about due for a new pair though. NEVER cold.
Habervision sun glasses...
wal-mart knock offs under "Rocky" brand under armour... just as good... a LOT less
Merc 75 4stroke, first year model... 9 years going strong with no major issues.
MuskyMike51
Posted 8/8/2011 4:27 PM (#510954 - in reply to #510773)

1. My handed down (or never given back, from my father) Remington Model 760 Gamemaster 30-06... Still pounding holes in whitetails.
2. 99 chev silverado, rountine maintenance, still running strong at 217K.
3. La Crosse Iceman's (handed down from dad), not as heavy as the ice kings but thats why i get the to the tip-ups before them
4. My Hoyt Bow...
5. Musky Lures: Rubber Dubber, Home made buck tails, and so many more...
6. Hush Hide camo suit i've been wearing since i was 17.
7. BFGoodrich AT/KO tires... they'll take you anywhere you are willing to go
8. Interstate Batteries, cranking and deep cycle

esoxfly
Posted 8/8/2011 4:56 PM (#510961 - in reply to #510773)

My Ranger bay- shopping for a 620 and got a 620 with a bay interior. Thought I was buying a "good" boat and ended up buying the best boat ever made for my style of fishing. I will be buried in that boat like a viking when I die...lay me in it, set it on fire and push us out into the lake.

My Yammie 225 Sport. Had to buy it when my VMAX blew, but it's the best thing that could've happened to that boat.

Tibor reels. Needed bigger reels when I moved to AK to handle the fish and the saltwater. Pulled the trigger on one....now I have 14 of them.

Filson clothes- from timber falling and moose hunts to fishing and climbing...I'll own these same garments in 40 years.
Clark A
Posted 8/8/2011 6:23 PM (#510973 - in reply to #510773)

Rhinelander Shorties! They are fun to drink and tasty to!
dougj
Posted 8/8/2011 7:34 PM (#510978 - in reply to #510773)

1999 Triton 205 Walleye DC. About 65,000 auctual GPS miles and it's still the best boat I have road in for the LOTWs. Came in today in 30 MPH west winds, and it was dry and smooth. Handles welll, in any wind both fishing and traveling.

Doug Johnson

Edited by dougj 8/8/2011 7:36 PM
muskie nutt
Posted 8/8/2011 8:20 PM (#510983 - in reply to #510773)

My Thompson Center Omega muzzle loader, my Kimber Ultra Carry, my Winchester model 1300 20 guage, and my Toyota Tundra
Jump to page : 1 2
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)