Muskie Discussion Forums

Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Language | Blogs Search | Statistics | User Listing
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )
Moderators: Slamr

View previous thread :: View next thread
Jump to page : 1 2 3 4
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]

Muskie Fishing -> General Discussion -> What not to do/say while muskie fishing

Message Subject: What not to do/say while muskie fishing
BIGTOOTH-MAN
Posted 7/25/2011 11:59 PM (#508937)
Subject: What not to do/say while muskie fishing

Past few days I've seen and heard stuff in the boat while ski fishing that just shouldnt happen. Such as yelling that you have a follow and beating the water with your lure to get the weeds off, just wondering if anyone else has some stuff to share on this topic.
GanderMTN-MAN
Posted 7/26/2011 12:06 AM (#508938 - in reply to #508937)
Subject: Re: What not to do/say while muskie fishing

just the other day out on the lake a buddy of mine who has only managed to get out a few times this year had a decent follow, i saw the fish and he yells "ahhhh muskie" and fish turns hard and leaves. next cast he leaves the bail shut and tries to bomb the cast and the rod drops into the water... unreal
Dane
Posted 7/26/2011 7:09 AM (#508955 - in reply to #508938)

don't ever say "do these shorts make me look fat"

or even worse, "can you grab me a white wine spritzer from the cooler"
anzomcik
Posted 7/26/2011 7:22 AM (#508957 - in reply to #508937)

"I'm Bored"

Thats said offten by people who do not fish, or primarly fish for easier species other than musky when in my boat... That kills confidence, and puts pressure to either stop fishing or change from the plan

Edited by anzomcik 7/26/2011 7:24 AM
Pepper
Posted 7/26/2011 8:19 AM (#508964 - in reply to #508937)

how about "what was wrong with that one" as said by a boat partner when I didn't see a follow and didn't do a figure eight while not paying attention
husky_jerk
Posted 7/26/2011 8:51 AM (#508969 - in reply to #508964)

Hate fishing with a guy who has a negative attitude. "Too hot", "Too flat", "Too pressured", "Not gonna happen". Just getting out on the water is a gift for all of us. Being whiny doesn't help the fishing or the day. I spent 3 days trying to console a guy in my boat. Admittedly, the fishing was slow as the temp had dropped. He complained about how much the lake sucks for 3 days and banged 2 upper 40's the last night.Now he is pulling his boat out on another trip to the area just to fish this lake. It is okay in my book to be realistic about a tough bite, but constant whining really makes me want to fish alone.
Ifishskis
Posted 7/26/2011 9:42 AM (#508975 - in reply to #508969)

husky_jerk - 7/26/2011 8:51 AM

Hate fishing with a guy who has a negative attitude. "Too hot", "Too flat", "Too pressured", "Not gonna happen". Just getting out on the water is a gift for all of us.

X2
DIZZYHORSE
Posted 7/26/2011 12:13 PM (#508999 - in reply to #508937)

I realize this forum includes thing said "while" musky fishing. However, the other day, in the kitchen my wife told me "I wish every one of those $%^#ing muskies would die". Should I take that as a hint???
esoxkid06
Posted 7/26/2011 12:15 PM (#509000 - in reply to #508937)

i learned if theres music playing in the boat... do not bob your head to the jams.... and proceed to do an L turn, and not watch your bait... did that about a month ago... and when I pulled the bait outta the water all I saw were jaws behind it...
Posted 7/26/2011 1:32 PM (#509017 - in reply to #508937)
Subject: RE: What not to do/say while muskie fishing

Never ever ask your buddy to rub sunscreen on your back!
Had a fellow angler ask me this once.
I told him no such thing was allowed on my boat:)

I'm just sayin' - musky fisherman just don't do that sort of thing.

rocket
Posted 7/26/2011 1:53 PM (#509019 - in reply to #508937)

"DID YOU GET A WHIFF OF THAT ONE?!?!?!"
Fishwizard
Posted 7/26/2011 1:56 PM (#509020 - in reply to #508999)

DIZZYHORSE - 7/26/2011 12:13 PM

I realize this forum includes thing said "while" musky fishing. However, the other day, in the kitchen my wife told me "I wish every one of those $%^#ing muskies would die". Should I take that as a hint???

Working in the kitchen can be overwhelming and depressing for some women, even more so if they don't cook all that well. I'd say tell her to take a break and get some mowing and yard work done to boost her spirits. Just make sure she gets a pizza ordered before you get home from fishing, especially if she's going to be out there working all day.
THA4
Posted 7/26/2011 3:22 PM (#509042 - in reply to #508937)

"Quick, run me to shore, I got an emergency!"
esox23
Posted 7/26/2011 3:39 PM (#509049 - in reply to #509042)

The other evening out in the boat the bugs were getting bad, so I decided to put my jeans for more coverage then the shorts I was wearing, right before hand my wife calls, so I answer.

Her - "Hi honey whatcha doing?"
Me - "Just putting my pants on"
Her - "So that what you guys do out there at night..."
Me - "Yeah kind of walked into that one"

beavergrad
Posted 7/26/2011 3:48 PM (#509052 - in reply to #508937)

Not to do: Tell someone that fishes 1-2 times per year from a dock, paddle boat, or from a pontoon how muskie fishing has been. They don't understand it, they think you are a loser when you say "Today went good, had 2 follows." Then they proceed to tell you how they caught all TYPES of fish when they were kids with just marshmellows and corn. "Why are you having such a problem catching these muskies?!?! Maybe you should think about fishing with corn and actually catching something for a change!" It makes you hate that person because they dont understand and you start to get defensive and then they think they are REALLY right. (This jackass in-law of mine the same weekend I caught a 49.5 and a 50.5 said, "Well it's about time...telling me you had follows isn't much!) Just always say you caught some fish because you can't argue with stupid.

Not to Say:
"Can we troll"
"Should I bring some cheese/crackers and some beer on our trip?"
(Fish On) "How does the net handle work again?"
schleprock82
Posted 7/26/2011 4:25 PM (#509063 - in reply to #509052)

reminds me of a saying my grandma used to say" you might as well save your breath. the smart don't need to be told and the dumb won't listen"
muskyball
Posted 7/26/2011 4:59 PM (#509066 - in reply to #508937)

"Can you do me a favor and untangle this backlash?"
tswoboda
Posted 7/26/2011 5:24 PM (#509069 - in reply to #508937)

"It's not hooked well"
Watched a 46.5" eat my phantom opening morning and this is the first words my buddy in the boat says. Granted he was right and just trying to help me out but at the time it was the absolute last thing i wanted to hear. I almost stopped bringing the fish in just to punch him.

"OO OO OO"
This is the noise he makes every time he sees a fish... he also started making it whenever a deer fly was biting him on our trip to LOTW. Lets just say we had a real excited boat over a few deer flies.

Edited by tswoboda 7/26/2011 5:26 PM
Ranger
Posted 7/26/2011 5:28 PM (#509071 - in reply to #508937)

What NOT to do is pass litter when you have an opportunity to pick it up, starting at the landing if you're waiting for access. Grab every floating beer can and even $hit you see on the bottom in shallow water - if you can reach it with anything (net) then get it out of the lake.

This may grant you the favor of the Lady of the Lake. But maybe not. Ignore trash and pay the price of the DISfavor of the spirits.

PS - She hates muskies? Take away her credit card, start storing your gear at a buddy's place and otherwise prepare for a divorce.
sworrall
Posted 7/26/2011 5:44 PM (#509075 - in reply to #508937)

'PS - She hates muskies? Take away her credit card, start storing your gear at a buddy's place and otherwise prepare for a divorce.'

Ditto. Twice until I found one that LIKES muskies. Oh, she likes me too, and that could be the difference. The other two? Not so much.

Don't tell me what body parts hurt or itch. Ain't going to do anything about either and don't want to hear it. Don't ask me when we are going to move. I have no idea, and it makes me cross to have to think about it. Don't tell me about your lady friend, wife, or other recent conquest. I'm trying to frigging fish, and my mind can't handle both subjects without a meltdown. Stay the hell off the phone. Texting....really? I'll give you a shot to Facebook...it'll crash the website. I don't know why they are, are not, or might,maybe,if will hit. Neither do you. Ask the fish if you want to know, and all of us in the boat will listen for them to answer. Don't scream F bombs on the water when it's calm out, your voice will travel and folks on shore may think it's me who's the foul mouthed fool. I'm already a fool, don't need the extra baggage. If your significant other is in the boat, don't even ask, the answer needs to be no.

Seriously.

I mostly don't say much unless someone fishing with me wants to talk business.If I hook up, I just say, "There's one" and quietly play the fish to the net. Try that instead of freaking out and crashing around the boat stepping on my rods.
horsehunter
Posted 7/26/2011 5:46 PM (#509076 - in reply to #508937)

Can I have alook at that backlash I've heard about them but never seen one.
tundrawalker00
Posted 7/26/2011 7:31 PM (#509103 - in reply to #508937)

See, I'm going to speak up on every follow this year because last year I was getting set to figure eight and my buddy stomped on the trolling motor, rolling my corner of the boat right over my fish.

I'll have some kids quotes next week as I'm taking them to a numbers lake in the UP. They decided they HAVE TO try muskie fishing. It's gonna be a miracle if I don't make multiple emergency room visits.
Kirby Budrow
Posted 7/26/2011 9:48 PM (#509133 - in reply to #508937)

I hate hearing a sigh from someone in the boat. You can tell they are just not that into it. I hate when someone hooks a fish and starts celebrating before its in the net. I hate when you pull up to a spot and the other guy just sits there wondering what bait to put on. I hate cell phones. I hate when someone tries to give advice on how to run the boat when they have no idea. I also really hate when people call a muskie a skie. I realize its a very popular saying but it sounds so dumb and its really not hard to say the whole thing. Ya catching any skies lately? See.............
wallydiven
Posted 7/26/2011 10:09 PM (#509134 - in reply to #509133)

I skie, in the winter... I fish... for Muskies!!!!!!!!!
NCmusky
Posted 7/26/2011 10:45 PM (#509139 - in reply to #508937)

<p>Just after they cast.... Oooo was that bait close to you? I am cool if its a child or youngster, but when an adult says it, I am ready to lose it!! </p><p> My older brother (who infrequently fishes) usually tells me to watch where I am casting, which is even worse!!!! I think he says it just to aggravate me!!!!</p>

Edited by NCmusky 7/26/2011 10:47 PM
Captain
Posted 7/27/2011 8:07 AM (#509164 - in reply to #508957)

anzomcik - 7/26/2011 7:22 AM

"I'm Bored"

Thats said offten by people who do not fish, or primarly fish for easier species other than musky when in my boat... That kills confidence, and puts pressure to either stop fishing or change from the plan
I took a buddy musky fishing a few times who had never done it before. Same type of reaction.
I politely pointed him to my bass tackle/rods and said have at er. I wasnt going to let his attitude ruin it for me.
He ended up seeing his first musky (following my lure), BOY would I have been peeed if he would have caught one on those #*^@ bass lures!!! LOL
Captain
Posted 7/27/2011 8:11 AM (#509166 - in reply to #508937)

I am reading through these just dying laughing. Itchy body parts, dry humping the guides legs, etc. LMAO If she's cute I will let her dry hump me any day of the week and twice on Sunday.
Herb_b
Posted 7/27/2011 9:14 AM (#509182 - in reply to #508937)

Captain, Remember that you're married young man...

I hate it when we get to the spot and then my fishing partner tells me they need to go to the bathroom. I understand it when my kids do that, but not adults.
ulbian
Posted 7/27/2011 9:22 AM (#509185 - in reply to #508937)

"I have to order flowers for my ex girlfriend because it's her birthday."
wallydiven
Posted 7/27/2011 9:25 AM (#509186 - in reply to #509182)

Herb_b - 7/27/2011 9:14 AM

Captain, Remember that you're married young man...

I hate it when we get to the spot and then my fishing partner tells me they need to go to the bathroom. I understand it when my kids do that, but not adults.
Whatever it is you gotta do, just hang it over the boat. Just make sure you put the toilet paper in your own tackle box.
Jump to page : 1 2 3 4
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)