Muskie Discussion Forums

Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Language | Blogs Search | Statistics | User Listing
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )
Moderators: Slamr

View previous thread :: View next thread
Jump to page : 1 2
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]

Muskie Fishing -> Lures,Tackle, and Equipment -> Superbraids that dig in the least?

Message Subject: Superbraids that dig in the least?
Ifishskis
Posted 6/1/2011 2:18 PM (#500893)
Subject: Superbraids that dig in the least?

I have to buy Junior some line for one of his Abu Garcia 5500 baitcasters. As backlashes are still an issue from time to time, and 65/80 lb PowerPro seems to dig in to the center of the spool I resorted to going back to Cortland Musky Master on his other reel.

I would have no problem buying more Musky Master, but have to ask the question = is there a superbraid out there that doesn't dig in like PowerPro?

I'd rather have him using a better line, but at the rate he went through PowerPro I can't afford it!
IAJustin
Posted 6/1/2011 2:40 PM (#500900 - in reply to #500893)
Subject: Re: Superbraids that dig in the least?

IMO Spiderwire Stealth is 100x better line than PP and it usaully costs less. Ive used it the last 4 years no issues what so ever... I buy it in 1100 yard spools. Go with the 80Lb

Edited by IAJustin 6/1/2011 2:40 PM
gregk9
Posted 6/1/2011 2:42 PM (#500901 - in reply to #500893)

Interesting. I've been using PP 65LB for several years with no problems of it digging in.
Posted 6/1/2011 2:52 PM (#500903 - in reply to #500893)
Subject: RE: Superbraids that dig in the least?

100 pound an option?
pepsiboy
Posted 6/1/2011 3:03 PM (#500908 - in reply to #500900)

IAJustin - 6/1/2011 3:40 PM

IMO Spiderwire Stealth is 100x better line than PP and it usaully costs less. Ive used it the last 4 years no issues what so ever... I buy it in 1100 yard spools. Go with the 80Lb

amen
dtaijo174
Posted 6/1/2011 3:39 PM (#500915 - in reply to #500893)

PP has that awful green coating that sticks like crazy. Once it wears off, it's not bad.
I swtiched to Tuff line and its better.
Sharptooth
Posted 6/1/2011 3:49 PM (#500919 - in reply to #500915)

I really like the suffix and the sonic braid. They both dig a little but doesnt seem as bad as PP. They are still costly though.
PSYS
Posted 6/1/2011 3:55 PM (#500920 - in reply to #500900)

IAJustin - 6/1/2011 2:40 PM IMO Spiderwire Stealth is 100x better line than PP and it usaully costs less. Ive used it the last 4 years no issues what so ever... I buy it in 1100 yard spools. Go with the 80Lb

Yes, to this.

Scott M.
Posted 6/1/2011 4:45 PM (#500926 - in reply to #500893)

The only line I use is Stealth 80# and had very few problems with it and it cast great. I buy my Stealth 80# in 1500 yd spools because I'm that confident in that product.

Scott M.
dougj
Posted 6/1/2011 4:56 PM (#500929 - in reply to #500893)

I like Stealth also. I use 100 lb. I would guess that the bigger the diameter the less trouble you'd have with "dig-in".

It's a great line.

Doug Johnson

Ifishskis
Posted 6/1/2011 5:01 PM (#500931 - in reply to #500901)

gregk9 - 6/1/2011 2:42 PM

Interesting. I've been using PP 65LB for several years with no problems of it digging in.

I don't have issues with PP but my son does. I coach and encourage him to adjust the reel to the bait and thumb the spool but....I can't throw the bait for him too.
gregk9
Posted 6/1/2011 6:37 PM (#500947 - in reply to #500931)

Ifishskis - 6/1/2011 5:01 PM

I coach and encourage him to adjust the reel to the bait and thumb the spool but....I can't throw the bait for him too.

So he's having backlash issues?

I don't have that either. I use 65 lb for my Muskie reels and 30 for my bass reels.

I'm surprised that so many here don't like PP. If you look at the reviews on the Cabala’s and Bass pro sites; lots of people are liking power pro!

This being said, I *am* gonna try Suffix soon as I use up all this PP I got around here. Maybe I'll fall in love with that and ditch the power pro...
Don B
Posted 6/1/2011 7:00 PM (#500953 - in reply to #500893)

I've used or tried alot of different braided lines, but I always wind up going back to T.U.F. Line. I just haven't had any problems with it as I have had with others digging-in,fraying or breaking. Don Brumett
Zib
Posted 6/1/2011 8:58 PM (#500969 - in reply to #500893)

I use 80 Lb PP & have no issues with it digging in.
4reukmuskies
Posted 6/1/2011 9:25 PM (#500976 - in reply to #500893)

I second Tuff Line XP 80lb, I have been using it for years and have had no problems. Very good line and reasonably priced. With that being said, I would like to try the new Suffix, maybe next year.
Will Schultz
Posted 6/1/2011 9:41 PM (#500978 - in reply to #500893)

Sunline FX2. The line is round and stays round which keeps it from digging in.
byteme90k
Posted 6/2/2011 8:14 AM (#501024 - in reply to #500893)

PP is all i buy, although just bought my boy some Sufix 832, so far so good with that stuff.
sKunKt
Posted 6/2/2011 8:37 AM (#501030 - in reply to #500893)

tuff line is good, nice and supple, casts like a dream for me on my abus
sKunKt
Posted 6/2/2011 8:40 AM (#501032 - in reply to #500893)

or at the risk of getting clobbered by using the 'm' word on here, you could use mono until he gets the hang of it a little better. if he messes up the whole spool you're out six or seven bucks vs twenty-four. just a thought, i am not trying to start another mono vs braid debate.
Captain
Posted 6/2/2011 9:31 AM (#501040 - in reply to #500893)

I quit using TUF line when they stopped making the Tuf Plus. That stuff was amazing. Had a mono core so the line stayed round. If you got a backlash it pulled out super easy. It did load up with water which wasnt much fun in October, but this stuff was great. Wish I could still find it.

Never had good luck with any of the other Tuf lines.

Been using 100# Power Pro ever since and its been great. The few backlashes I get are doozies though.
Ifishskis
Posted 6/2/2011 9:45 AM (#501044 - in reply to #501032)

sKunKt - 6/2/2011 8:40 AM

or at the risk of getting clobbered by using the 'm' word on here, you could use mono until he gets the hang of it a little better. if he messes up the whole spool you're out six or seven bucks vs twenty-four. just a thought, i am not trying to start another mono vs braid debate.

I appreciate all the feedback and the mono idea. He's doing "OK" with 65/80 lb PowerPro, but when you have to completely respool 2-3X per season, it's getting too spendy for my pocketbook. Yes I understand musky fishing aint cheap but....

I'm just looking for opinions from people who have used PP and other braids.....is there one that people have found that backlashes come out easier. We are not pro's and right now we're not fishing every day or even every week like we used to.
Got Esox?
Posted 6/2/2011 9:54 AM (#501048 - in reply to #500893)

My .02 on lines:

I used to use PowerPro but thought it went thru to much of a transformation from opening day to soaking suckers in the fall. From the wax layer, to the "ovalness" the line has not to mention the amount of water it seemed to hold which made fro very wet and cold hands when night fishing later in the season. I tried Suffix, Spiderwire, Cortland Spectron and was never over impressed unitl I tried Cortland Masterbraid.

Cortland Masterbraid was the "roundest" line I have tried yet which seems to make line twist at a minimum when the ball bearing swivel can't keep up with bucktails that spin yer line. It holds a minimal amount of water compared to other lines I have used. There is virtually no "break in" period where you are waiting for the wax to peel, or color to fade. Most importantly I have found it to be very durable and sensitive. I have been able to reverse the line at seasons end and used the other end of the line for the whole next season. (I put about ~150 yds of new line on my reels every other year) It also comes in green, yellow and my personal favorite bronzeback brown.

AS far as lines digging in, a couple things: the wax on new PP keeps the line from really seating on the reel tightly ar first. May be better to give the youngster some line on his reel that is already broken in. Also the larger diameter line will dig in less until the "feel" is developed to properly use baitcasters without backlashes/etc. I would also tighten the brake just a hair more than you would set it for yourself to prevent any MONSTER birdnests. If all else fails spinning reels work for starters too.

GOOD LUCK!
Muskie Bob
Posted 6/2/2011 10:21 AM (#501054 - in reply to #500893)

I don't think backlashes are more the fault of the line as it is the fault of the caster and the setting of the reel.

If your son is experiencing backlashes and you are not, why not hand him your rod and reel and see if he has problems. If he doesn't with your outfit, then his equipment needs to be adjusted. If he is having problems with yours, then he may be doing something different.

Try to avoid casting into the wind. When a backlash occurs, check the reel tension and brake system to see if it is set properly for the lure size. Changing lure sizes without changing settings may cause backlashes....I know from experience, when will I ever learn?

I've learned a toothpick helps me to loosing a backlash where I can pull the line enough where it is crossing or hangin up. Almost any backlash can be removed, especially with braided line. Remove the backlash and then figure out how to avoid it.

Reel tension, lure size, brake system, etc may make a difference in backlashes.

The following video mentions adjusting the braking system based on the lure weights. Push the brakes out for heavier lures. Push in for lighter lures. I'm not sure how that turning of the reel works, but I've seen that other places too.

click on - How to Fix Bait Casting Backlash (after listening to ad)

http://video.search.yahoo.com/video/play?p=fishing%20backlash&tnr=2...
gregk9
Posted 6/2/2011 10:52 AM (#501061 - in reply to #500893)

I keep a couple of these on the boat for the rare occasion that I have a backlash:

http://www.basspro.com/Bass-Pro-Shops-Baitcast-Pic/product/13376/-3...
lookin4_big_gurls
Posted 6/2/2011 12:01 PM (#501074 - in reply to #501061)

Not really a fan of PP...Really love the Cortland and the suffix. You can't go wrong with Tuff Line as well. The salt n pepper holds more water and is great during the warmer months but will def be a pain in mid to late fall where the tuff line xp will shine. I mostly use Cortland though, it does hold some water so it freezes a little in fall but had no problems at Verme in Nov.
jackson
Posted 6/2/2011 12:36 PM (#501082 - in reply to #500893)

tried the sufix 832 and it digs in BAD... ripped it off 2 days ago. Back to their performance braid and power pro for me. I have tried vicious as well. Doesn't cast as nice but their 100# doesn't dig in as its a heavier line. I have tried them all at one time or another and keep going back to power pro most of the time.
kjgmh
Posted 6/2/2011 4:53 PM (#501136 - in reply to #500893)

You can also pull off enough line as your longest cast will be and then put a piece of tape across your spoll and then reel up the line. The backlash should not go deeper then the tape. If for some reason you need more line the tape will just peel off.
MuskieSwede
Posted 6/3/2011 2:54 AM (#501182 - in reply to #500893)

You might not be spooling it on hard enough, PP shouldnt dig in.
Try Tuf Line XP, it handles just like PP but holds less water, is stronger and holds its colour better.
I dont like coated and too soft braids, really limp braids (like Daiwa Samurai) seem to dig in and backlash easier and are very loosely braided (if you push the line together it will ''open'' like it would if it was a rope).
Tuf Line XP is, according to me, perfectly balances between stiff and limp, its also very round.

I much prefer spectra instead of dyneema fibre, the only dyneema line i like is Sufix 832, though i use Tuf Line XP in 65 and 80lb on my two rods.
Basschamp167
Posted 6/5/2011 9:11 PM (#501429 - in reply to #500893)

I used to be a die-hard Powerpro fan, but hated getting that green dye all over my equipment. Now it's only Sufix, which I prefer in colder water because it doesn't absorb as much water, of the new Daiwa Samurai braid, in 80 pound. Samurai is EASILY the best and roundest braid i've ever used, but it's costly.
CiscoKid
Posted 6/6/2011 6:41 AM (#501448 - in reply to #500893)

The lighter the line the more it will dig in. All 65# I have used will dig in, and bad, if you back lash. How hard you are throwing a bait will dictate if you are pulling the ine out, or pulling your hair out. If you have issues with it diggin in and don't like dealing with it all I would suggest is looking at a heavier line.

I can say I do like Tuff Line XP as it will dig in, but it is much easier to pick out as the line isn't slippery. The suffix 832, at least while new, is pretty dang slippery and makes it difficult to pick out if you don't have fingernails.
Jump to page : 1 2
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)