Muskie Discussion Forums

Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Language | Blogs Search | Statistics | User Listing
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )
Moderators: Slamr

View previous thread :: View next thread
Jump to page : 1 2 3
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]

Muskie Fishing -> Lures,Tackle, and Equipment -> Jiffy Pro4 Propane Powered Drill

Message Subject: Jiffy Pro4 Propane Powered Drill
sworrall
Posted 12/4/2010 9:57 AM (#468981)
Subject: Jiffy Pro4 Propane Powered Drill

reelman
Posted 12/4/2010 2:05 PM (#468995 - in reply to #468981)
Subject: Re: Jiffy Pro4 Porpane Powered Drill

It's a neat idea and I've played with them a little and they are cool but I worry about what will happen when it's REALLY cold out? Propane and really cold temps don't always work together that good.
sworrall
Posted 12/5/2010 1:10 PM (#469059 - in reply to #468981)

Propane flows freely to minus 40 degrees. Much easier to start in extreme cold than a gasoline unit, and no choke is necessary. Think home heating, if cold and propane didn't get along, there would be no use for the fuel for heating houses.

Neither will start very well if it's 45 below zero. I won't be out there, either.
reelman
Posted 12/5/2010 3:21 PM (#469074 - in reply to #468981)

I have to disagree with you on this one. Take out a propane Mr. Heater in -25 and see how well it works? When I spoke to the the Jiffy guys they even conceeded that propane does not work well in extreme cold and that there were a couple of things to do including keeping a bottle of propane in your vehicle or shack so it stays warm. I don't know how hope LP works that it doesn't have problems.

Granted -25 is pretty darn cold but I've fished in that cold or colder quite a bit as long as I have a shack.

I think this propane drill is pretty cool and innovative and think it will work great 99% of the time, or at least the engine will, just making sure that people know that it will most likely have problems in extreme cold.

I myself have gone through quite a few different augers in the last couple years and disn't think that there was one that was really good until I got my Kluge auger last year - without a doubt the best auger out there.
RyanJoz
Posted 12/5/2010 4:54 PM (#469080 - in reply to #469059)

sworrall - 12/5/2010 1:10 PM

Propane flows freely to minus 40 degrees. Much easier to start in extreme cold than a gasoline unit, and no choke is necessary. Think home heating, if cold and propane didn't get along, there would be no use for the fuel for heating houses.

Neither will start very well if it's 45 below zero. I won't be out there, either.

My propane tank for the grill froze here in IL last year. Lowest temps we saw were single digits ABOVE zero.
shaley
Posted 12/5/2010 5:18 PM (#469085 - in reply to #469080)

Now if they didn't weigh 35-40 pounds they may have something. Can't imagine punching 100 holes in an hour with that.
TJ DeVoe
Posted 12/5/2010 5:23 PM (#469088 - in reply to #469085)

The Pro 4 weighs 33lbs, no different in weight than any of their other gas models in the same class.
jonnysled
Posted 12/5/2010 5:31 PM (#469089 - in reply to #469088)

"no different in weight than any of their other gas models in the same class" = exactly, along with the rest of the product line, they are heavy.

sworrall
Posted 12/5/2010 5:39 PM (#469091 - in reply to #468981)

RyanJoz
You probably had moisture in the lines or fittings...or the tank. Get water in your gasoline once and try to start your machine, and for that matter, small two stroke engines in minus 25 have trouble starting with gasoline mixtures as well...extreme cold can make for a hard start no matter the fuel. Propane doesn't 'freeze' (actually, become a liquid again) in above zero temps, and that's a fact. Really hard not to point out how obviously just wrong that comment is. If propane 'froze' in above zero temps, home heating with the fuel would be impossible. I use 1 pound bottles all winter long in lanterns and heaters, and they fire up flawlessly after sitting out in 25 below every time. When you get toward minus 44, which is propane's boiling point, propane will not work because it is then a liquid. I won't be out in that, so I'm not worried about it.

Shaley,
TJ is correct, that drill doesn't weigh any more than the gas drill I'm using. I cut allot of holes, and don't find the drill heavy at all.

Jiffy offers drills that weigh in the top 20's as well. This one is a 4 stroke, and is a high HP model. I honestly didn't find it unwieldy at all, and am going to get one.
PIKEMASTER
Posted 12/5/2010 7:15 PM (#469110 - in reply to #468981)
Subject: RE: Jiffy Pro4 Porpane Powered Drill

Propane in it's natural form is -44 BELOW ZERO and is liquid, when the outside temps are above -44, the liquid propane will vaporize inside the tank and you draw the vapor out of the tank to burn. So the colder it is outside the less vapor pressure will be in the tank to draw from. I see the size of the tank is very small so it won't take long to draw all the vapor out of the tank in very cold weather, so I wonder if that small tank will be able to keep vapor pressure in very cold weather. Propane is very clean burning so you won't foul plugs like gas.
TJ DeVoe
Posted 12/5/2010 7:18 PM (#469111 - in reply to #469110)

Obviously it will vary with ice depth. But for reference, the folks at Jiffy said you should be able to count on a tank lasting or equal to about 3/4 of a tank of gas, or about 45 minutes worth of drilling nonstop.
shaley
Posted 12/5/2010 7:29 PM (#469115 - in reply to #469111)

My 8" gas auger weighs just over 20 pounds, even going to a 25-27 pounder in an 8" is a big difference. Still a neat idea but I run 2-3 tanks of gas a year so that would be 4-5 green bombs, guess I'll stay with mixing 1 gal of gas a year and filling it a time or 2.
jonnysled
Posted 12/5/2010 8:05 PM (#469118 - in reply to #469115)

i stopped by the jiffy booth on saturday and i guess i didn't sense this unit was being targeted toward hard-core fishermen but more to those who might be a little more infrequent and especially those who had them in trunks or backs of suv's. i don't see it competing or landing in the zone of what i would use, but for some it probably hits the mark with a bullseye.
jackson
Posted 12/6/2010 8:28 AM (#469188 - in reply to #468981)

I wouldn't go ice fishing if it was too cold to start my drill so i really don't care what powers it at that point. However, what's wrong with regular gas? was there a huge need for product? i just don't get it.. never saw an issue with my jiffy gas drill.
castmaster
Posted 12/6/2010 10:04 AM (#469202 - in reply to #469188)

jackson - 12/6/2010 8:28 AM

I wouldn't go ice fishing if it was too cold to start my drill so i really don't care what powers it at that point. However, what's wrong with regular gas? was there a huge need for product? i just don't get it.. never saw an issue with my jiffy gas drill.

Do you drill many holes in a $10,000+ Wheel house? Do you like dealing with the fumes a gas drill puts out inside that house? Do you like exhaust residue on the walls above your holes?

Do you like having a can of gas/oil sitting in the back of your truck waiting to tip and spill? Do you like wondering if your auger is going to dump its fuel onto your shack while transporting? Like having your hands, clothes etc smell like gsa and 2 stroke exhaust when fishing?

Those are just a few of the reasons I can see for this drill, but IMO this auger was designed towards those who have permanent or wheel houses who wanted an alternative to electric augers as to have a more versatile piece of equipment that could be used for any drilling situation instead of needing to rely on a source of power.
jackson
Posted 12/6/2010 10:45 AM (#469206 - in reply to #469202)

castmaster - 12/6/2010 10:04 AM

jackson - 12/6/2010 8:28 AM

Do you drill many holes in a $10,000+ Wheel house? Do you like dealing with the fumes a gas drill puts out inside that house? Do you like exhaust residue on the walls above your holes?

Do you like having a can of gas/oil sitting in the back of your truck waiting to tip and spill? Do you like wondering if your auger is going to dump its fuel onto your shack while transporting? Like having your hands, clothes etc smell like gsa and 2 stroke exhaust when fishing?

Those are just a few of the reasons I can see for this drill, but IMO this auger was designed towards those who have permanent or wheel houses who wanted an alternative to electric augers as to have a more versatile piece of equipment that could be used for any drilling situation instead of needing to rely on a source of power.

i have a gas jiffy and never really had any of those issues you mention. I don't have to carry a gas can. In fact i can drill lots of holes with just a half tank. If i am in a shanty then i keep the door open while i drill 2 holes. i have never spilled gas on myself. I just don't see the need for something like this personally. Maybe some do, but i bet the price point is quite high. Unless it costs less and has a significant advantage over what is already in the market, i just don't get it.
sworrall
Posted 12/6/2010 10:46 AM (#469207 - in reply to #468981)

The Pro 40 is a 4 stroke. Quiet and non polluting, easy to start requiring no choke or priming, and clean to transport. Many of the Ice Guides who use Jiffy drills are buying this unit because of the things castmaster said, the fact the new drill is so easy to use and the fact they already have multiple uses for 1# propane bottles and carry several at all times. So it isn't just for one segment or another, it's a market wide application of a clean burning, clean to transport, easy to fuel 4 stroke drill.

I still have my gas Jiffy, but will probably not use it much this season.
shaley
Posted 12/6/2010 11:51 AM (#469209 - in reply to #469207)

There is still fumes regardless of fuel used. I never carry gas with me either mix a gal at the start of the season and only use maybe 2 tanks a year at a cost of less than 1 green tank, I also have no other use for the spendy little things. For me I would be replacing a tank every 3 trips out so basicly 1 a weekend at whatever they cost $3?? So in a course of a season it would cost me an extra $50 just to drill holes. I can see a guy with a permie only needing to drill 4-6 holes a weekend having a use for this. I'm also not a Jiffy fan,to loud and heavy for my liking but everyone has their preference.
TJ DeVoe
Posted 12/6/2010 12:24 PM (#469211 - in reply to #469209)

The fumes are far less with this unit, doesn't actually even compare to a gas unit. In fact, it's so clean that they actually allowed Jiffy to start them inside the building it's that user friendly. Gas powered units are not allowed to be started inside. So, there is a huge difference in ease and convenience with this unit. It's obvious there is no changing your mind on this unit, and that's fine, but why rag on it if you have no experience with it in any way, shape or form?

As I stated before, one propane tank is equal to or about 3/4 of a tank of gas. So, if you use 2 tanks of gas a year, that's three propane tanks at $1.99 a piece here at our local Fleet Farm. So replacing a tank every three times out does not compute right. The cost is no different when you figure in gas and oil for your gas unit, actually could be more pending on gas prices.
sworrall
Posted 12/6/2010 12:27 PM (#469213 - in reply to #468981)

The 'fumes' from propane are FAR less noxious that gasoline/oil mixtures.

45 minutes of non stop drilling on one cylinder. That's allot more than 4 or 5 holes a weekend. And, the 4 stroke engine is really nice and quiet, maybe you missed that point. I could say quite a bit about bad experiences with the brand you have, but I'll be a reasonable person and simply explain why I prefer what I'm running without all the 'post peeing'.

I wish ( think about this as a strong suggestion) everyone else would as well.
Jobu
Posted 12/6/2010 2:03 PM (#469220 - in reply to #468981)
Subject: RE: Jiffy Pro4 Porpane Powered Drill

I agree with the "gas"guys on this one---propane in super cold weather is a pain in the " you know what". I use propane in the cold---ALOT and it can be a nightmare. I suppose it's like anything though---if you maintain your equipment properly--it will last for years----pretty much trouble free. As far as the noise level debate goes------the above ice noise isn't too terribly obnoxious---- so who really cares if your auger is quieter than mine---seems kinda trivial, imho. The propane is a cool gimmick---but it has a cool pricetag attached to that gimmick as well. I think we should all drill holes for a season by hand-----then we'll really learn to appreciate the augers that we have-----be safe on the ice----Jobu
castmaster
Posted 12/6/2010 2:53 PM (#469226 - in reply to #468981)

Forgot to add one other advantage to the propane Jiffy, no worrying about "summerizing" it. No gummed up carb to worry about, no having to drain the left over gas out of the tank before storing etc. Simply hang it up and pull it out next fall/winter and start drilling.
sworrall
Posted 12/6/2010 3:06 PM (#469227 - in reply to #468981)

Install the cylinder on the drill and start the drill...end of story.

At OFM we use about 85 to 100 1# cylinders a year, and without that stuff my life would be much more miserable on the ice. We use it in heaters and lanterns and occasionally on a cook stove, and will now use it in my ice drill, so I won't need to mix gasoline any more unless we need two drills. Since the ignition is as hot as a spark plug is capable of, I'm not worried the drill won't start in the average temps I am out in. If it hits 44 below, I'll be in the house anyway.
glog
Posted 12/6/2010 5:12 PM (#469254 - in reply to #468981)
Subject: RE: Jiffy Pro4 Propane Powered Drill

Take a small gas grill that takes the 1lb bottle and try to use it in 20 degree or colder weather! The tank freezes up and the grill does not burn or should I say looses the correct pressure! My father worked on several weed trimmers that run on propane gas and the regulators leek gas and they do not work in any kind of cold weather. Take a jiffy 3hp model 30 gas engine and this thing will start in any kind of weather!!!!! I also have a friend that has a truck that can run on propane gas and it will not run in cold weather, he has to switch it over to gas.
TJ DeVoe
Posted 12/7/2010 8:44 AM (#469301 - in reply to #469254)
Subject: RE: Jiffy Pro4 Propane Powered Drill

We use 80 to 100 bottles a winter in black cat and sport cat heaters and lanterns. They light immediatey in any temp, even way below zero. The volume of propane in a ratio to size of the tank is, amazingly, the same no matter the tank size, and the pressure is more than adequate. The drill starts using a hot ignition source, and runs fine in cold weather.

If what you are saying was true, propane would be unusable in cold weather for the very equipment we use every day all winter long on the ice and back at the house.It sounds like the weed trimmers your dad worked on need better regulators, and are not designed for winter use. The 4 has neither issue.

We stopped using dual fuel lanterns long ago in favor of propane.
Norway pike
Posted 12/7/2010 5:25 PM (#469402 - in reply to #468981)

Can you run it on a mix of 80% propan and 20% isobutan? These types of blends works fine down to -20?.
castmaster
Posted 12/7/2010 7:02 PM (#469418 - in reply to #468981)
Subject: Re: Jiffy Pro4 Propane Powered Drill

Those of you who say this will not work in cold weather, what type of heater and lighting source do you use while ice fishing?
jonnysled
Posted 12/7/2010 8:50 PM (#469445 - in reply to #469418)

i can't imagine using 85 - 100 cans a season ... and i know i'm on the ice more than you are TJ. there's gotta be at least a little fib in there somewhere.

you should get some clothing that keeps you warm.
reelman
Posted 12/7/2010 9:41 PM (#469464 - in reply to #468981)

castmaster, I use a propane Mr. Heater and when it's really cold out I need to warm up the bottles in the truck or it doesn't work!
sworrall
Posted 12/7/2010 9:42 PM (#469465 - in reply to #468981)

That was me Sled, on TJ's I Pad from the road, I forgot to log him out and log me in. And there's no fib at all, between Keith, me, TJ, and the entire OFM crew headquartered here, we used over a hundred last year. Run 4 heaters and as many as three lanterns at a time, and there you have it. If you want to call me a liar or insult me for my choice of winter gear, have at it, quite a bit of that propane is spent keeping the ladies and grandkids warm. Tell Sue she doesn't dress warm enough; insult her winter gear choices, perhaps, but I strongly recommend you do so from a considerable distance.

That said, I picked up my new Pro4 today. You can see it's performance in about 30 videos this winter from OFM on the Ice and icefishingFIRST, we'll see how she does!

For that matter, Sled, we are GOING to fish together on the ice this year a couple times, try her yourself.

Jump to page : 1 2 3
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)