Muskie Discussion Forums

Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Language | Blogs Search | Statistics | User Listing
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )
Moderators: Slamr

View previous thread :: View next thread
Jump to page : 1 2
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]

Muskie Fishing -> General Discussion -> gliders man i suck

Message Subject: gliders man i suck
lehighmuskies
Posted 7/8/2010 4:53 PM (#449073)
Subject: gliders man i suck

guys was wondering how you fish you gliders what cadence do you do.hellhound treats phantoms hughes?I cant seem to get a fish to bite for the life of me with gliders...And yes im fish stocked muskie waters.Lake an river
stcroixmusky
Posted 7/8/2010 5:25 PM (#449082 - in reply to #449073)
Subject: RE: gliders man i suck

I keep it pretty rythmic till I see some fish activity. It's important to read the fish and see what they want. When a follow does show up I usually give a few hard snaps to get it to glid a bit further and toss the rhythm off. If the fish responds positively I will toss this into each of my casts at some point.
Posted 7/8/2010 5:55 PM (#449088 - in reply to #449073)

The only time i seem i get fish to eat them is working them very eracticly with the slow pace it seems they get into zone with it and just follow it.
dogboy
Posted 7/8/2010 6:24 PM (#449092 - in reply to #449073)

im going to say that ive seen gliders get absolutely killed when worked so fast they almost pop outta the water, and then the exact opposite, which is what usually works for me, i'll tap it, count to 2 tap it, count to 3, double tap, long pause, then start overish, i vary it a lot, but it seems that when i get gliders to get crushed, im workin areas over that i know hold fish, and the wind isnt pushing the boat mach 10.
other than that, if i ride the cadence bus, and bring them in rhythmatic and such,
i get bored, and i dont see any fish.

I especially love the hits on the long pauses! i almost got yanked outta the boat a few weekends ago
PSYS
Posted 7/8/2010 6:38 PM (#449094 - in reply to #449073)
Subject: Re: gliders man i suck

+1

Phantoms are basically my new favorite bait right now. I've had a lot of action on them and I know they're proven fish catchers. I love working them slow and really keeping the bait in the musky's face. I fish them pretty erratic... out of sync, out of rhythm with no rhyme or reason. Hard snaps, soft taps, short pause, long pause... I just get the bait to look like it's completely wounded and dying. Experiment and practice...
esoxaddict
Posted 7/8/2010 6:48 PM (#449095 - in reply to #449094)

Gliders suck! (that's for Nelson) That slow rhythmic side to side cadence has hypnotized more fish for me than I'd like to count. If that's what you are doing? In my opinion you're just wasting your time. T the hooks, put wide gap hooks on it, throw in some pauses, alternate between fast and slow, and I can guarantee you fish will appear even on days when NOTHING else works. That said? Gliders are still a last resort for me. There are times when they outshine everything else, but those times are few and far between. They are GREAT at getting fish to show themselves. Getting fish to eat, however? Well, there are ways, but a side to side rhythmic cadence is not one of them!
Posted 7/8/2010 9:48 PM (#449126 - in reply to #449073)

I've had several fish follow my phantoms with mouths open striking at them but they always stay about a foot or so behind them when doing this. I usually stay in rythm. I guess i'll have to experiment around with them some more.
twells
Posted 7/9/2010 8:48 AM (#449174 - in reply to #449073)

I have had a stretch that was all I used mainly. They do work but getting the varying action is the key to it. With the helhounds they are easy to use but more often then not can get the repeative cadance easily. The trick with them is (as others have stated) vary the speed, snap to make it swing harder one way and the pause. I think the pause is one of the most important parts of any glider. It gives the fish a extra second or two to zone in on the bait and actually hit the bait. When I run mine I fish them as I would a top water bait and wait to feel the fish. Majority of the fish I have caught on them break the water on the stirke and I have missed some this way because of not feeling it.

Undertakers have been great for the eratic action. I can never tell which way they are going to go on a twitch. The down side with them is if you are fishing weeds the tend to drop quickly on pauses. Gliders have there time, place and do catch fish. As with any bait you just have to have the confidence with them.
Musky Brian
Posted 7/9/2010 10:25 AM (#449183 - in reply to #449174)

Phantoms work best for me with quick snaps but also keeping a strict side to side motion...I also like to work them like topwaters, keeping your rod tip up the dail dances behind the bait on the surface...caught a bunch of fish doing that

I kinda recently started becoming very violent with my Hellhounds and seeing a lot more action on them as a result. Violent, hard rips and twitches making the bait do all kinds of things. The problem is the more violent you go the more difficult it becomes for the fish to actually hit the bait, and then even if it does make contact you have to still be able to put solid hooks in her...thats the issue with gliders
twells
Posted 7/9/2010 1:57 PM (#449232 - in reply to #449073)

Something that has helped in the past for me also is taking th eback hook off and making a solid leader about 2" long to extend the rear hook a little farther back for the nipping fish.
musky slut
Posted 7/9/2010 2:31 PM (#449233 - in reply to #449073)

#*#* I don't think I took off my hell hound all winter here in NC ..... Even got on ein the 2 in the 8 with it . I have had luck with giving it big rips and also just plain back and forth !
Cowboyhannah
Posted 7/10/2010 9:14 PM (#449360 - in reply to #449095)

esoxaddict - 7/8/2010 6:48 PM

That slow rhythmic side to side cadence has hypnotized more fish for me than I'd like to count.

True dat'! They seem to come in like zombies, no? LOL---That being said, I started experimenting with varying retrieves when I boated on upon ripping off some weeds. I'll do both steady/eratic depending upon what they want.--HIP-MO-TIZED--YUP.
firstsixfeet
Posted 7/11/2010 4:30 AM (#449372 - in reply to #449073)

Gliders are a bait.

I think if you check most of the top musky producers, you will find gliders waaaay down on the list in their chosen baits. There is a reason for that.

I would throw bucktail, surface, crank of some type, or a jerk bait/pull bait all before picking up a glider. If you are keeping gliders as a 5th or 6th method of attack, that is about right. The perceived "good ones" have good resale, cut your supply down to 2 and use the money to get stuff that works.
MuskieFever
Posted 7/11/2010 3:35 PM (#449434 - in reply to #449073)

i love phantoms. i have had many follows doing the the rythmic side to side walk and also on the rip, pause, rip rip, pause. this year i got one to eat on the first rip, but lost her under the boat. phantoms are my go to bait when nothing else produces because they are so versitle.
Almost-B-Good
Posted 7/12/2010 7:59 AM (#449498 - in reply to #449073)

Gliders are a tool just like the others. I love using them but have less frequently thrown them unless the fish have kind of shut off. I find them very good when the fish are there but just not going after the first choices like bucktails, and other faster straight line retrieves. They aren't easy to use in the wind, so that limits them from the get go. It's a lot easier to get a Suick or Bobbie to work when the wind is blowing harder if you still want to use a jerkbait.

That said, my favorite little Eddy has accounted for the largest average size per musky of any lure I own. It comes into its own when the fishing is downright mean tough. I fish it slow and erratic with lots of glide/sinks. Something like this: tap, snap, tap, rest, tap, pull, rest, tap, snap, tap, pull, rest, pull, rest, tap, tap,tap,tap, rest, snap, rest, .......It is the rest after the lure flairs out, rolls and recovers, and then starts to sink when the fish just rise up under it and gently slurp it in. The hits are just a little pull, never a whack like on a bucktail. Even with a 36"er the last time I used little Eddy, my average is still 44" for 7 fish on four different lakes combined. I don't throw it often, but when conditions are right it is my high confidence lure.

I put gliders in the same catagory as surface lures. Fun to use, but probably not the best choice for catching the most fish, more times than not. Very valuable to have though when the time is right.
Posted 7/12/2010 9:46 AM (#449505 - in reply to #449498)

My last resort bait too. But I have found that spring pike cannot resist that snap pause action. In the spring I work it slow and hang on tight.
kustomboy
Posted 7/12/2010 12:47 PM (#449535 - in reply to #449505)

I haven't been able to get a muskie to bite a bucktail this year but I have gotten several on gliders including this hog.

Zoom - | Zoom 100% | Zoom + | Expand / Contract | Open New window
Click to expand / contract the width of this image
(rushskie.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments rushskie.jpg (67KB - 115 downloads)
stcroixmusky
Posted 7/12/2010 12:55 PM (#449537 - in reply to #449073)

See, Gliders really are a worthless bait.............
RiverMan
Posted 7/12/2010 1:08 PM (#449539 - in reply to #449372)

firstsixfeet - 7/11/2010 4:30 AM

Gliders are a bait.

I think if you check most of the top musky producers, you will find gliders waaaay down on the list in their chosen baits. There is a reason for that.

True, but is this because they are less effective or fewer people fish them? I think alot of folks don't fish gliders because they take some time to learn how to use them correctly. And........some folks don't really have the skills needed to fish a glider. I have friends that can work a glider perfectly after just a couple quick lessons and others that can hardly work them correctly after a year of fishing them! The cadence seems hard for some people. Swimbaits on the other hand or bucktails are something that most anyone can master in a short amount of time and thus end up accounting for far more fish.

I live in Oregon and here we fish alot for steelhead. Learning to find and hook steelhead drifting eggs is a challenging aspect of the sport and can take years to perfect. Using a float (bobber) however, is something a complete novice can be successful at in almost no time at all. Ultimately far more steelhead are caught on floats than are caught by drift fisherman because they are so easy to use but this does not mean they are more effective in the hands of an angler capable of applying both methods.

RM

Edited by RiverMan 7/12/2010 1:12 PM
firstsixfeet
Posted 7/12/2010 7:32 PM (#449602 - in reply to #449539)

RiverMan - 7/12/2010 1:08 PM

firstsixfeet - 7/11/2010 4:30 AM

Gliders are a bait.

True, but is this because they are less effective or fewer people fish them? I think alot of folks don't fish gliders because they take some time to learn how to use them correctly. And........some folks don't really have the skills needed to fish a glider. I have friends that can work a glider perfectly after just a couple quick lessons and others that can hardly work them correctly after a year of fishing them! The cadence seems hard for some people. Swimbaits on the other hand or bucktails are something that most anyone can master in a short amount of time and thus end up accounting for far more fish.

I live in Oregon and here we fish alot for steelhead. Learning to find and hook steelhead drifting eggs is a challenging aspect of the sport and can take years to perfect. Using a float (bobber) however, is something a complete novice can be successful at in almost no time at all. Ultimately far more steelhead are caught on floats than are caught by drift fisherman because they are so easy to use but this does not mean they are more effective in the hands of an angler capable of applying both methods.

RM

They are waaay down the line because they don't produce on a per cast basis. If you are familiar with what the best fisherman are throwing, you would acknowledge, it aint gliders. Now........we could go with your theory........that the best fisherman don't know how to use gliders, but in my experience, really good muskie fisherman, and I know a few, can go through 5-7 types of baits and fish them well and confidently, including gliders. But check the guides and guys catching lots of fish and I will bet you find gliders are a very small part of their attack.

I don't have anything against gliders, and in fact I am in favor of everyone else throwing them ALL THE TIME, and at times they do produce fish, but just not on par with other baits.

My theory that they are inferior baits is predicated on one thing, that they glide, and the more I have thought about it the more convinced I have become.
djwilliams
Posted 7/12/2010 8:44 PM (#449612 - in reply to #449602)

I don't know about one bait or another being inferior. I imagine that most muskie fishermen spend the majority of time on the water searching for active fish, and a glider is not the bait of choice for that. More effort needed and one cannot cover as much water as a bucktail in the same amount of time.
HomeTime
Posted 7/14/2010 6:37 AM (#449812 - in reply to #449073)

I find for me, bucktails and even spinner baits have been off the last few years. If we do manage to get a fish on one, they are substantially smaller than fish coming on gliders and jerk baits. Not sure why.

Its a jerk bait, I know, but Suicks have produced 60-70% of our fish the last few years. The rest are on bulldogs and cranks with the occasional blade fish.
Doug_Kloet
Posted 7/14/2010 10:50 AM (#449858 - in reply to #449812)

Since I have been making gliders for over 20 years now and using them even longer I am pretty much a glider nut. The best way that I like to work them is with a short downward snaps while reeling in the slack line. Just remember to keep your retrieve slow and as you are learning you can adjust from there. The biggest thing that I see when I have clients out is that they over work the bait. Just keep it simple and don't over think it. It will payoff big for you.

Captain Doug Kloet
http://www.dougkloet.com
djwilliams
Posted 7/14/2010 12:14 PM (#449877 - in reply to #449858)

The best way that I like to work them is with a short downward snaps while reeling in the slack line. Just remember to keep your retrieve slow and as you are learning you can adjust from there.

Along with a higher speed reel........Doug's advice is the best.
C.Painter
Posted 7/14/2010 12:43 PM (#449884 - in reply to #449073)

Hellhound option:
This goes inline with what Muskiebrian mentioned. I ahve a friend who has caught a TON of big fish over the years. He fishes most of his baits fast. back several years he saw my hellhound I was throwing (in the rythmic side to side). He liked the action. Went out and bought it and proceeded to fish it "his style". This style is a pretty agressive pull/pause as you pick up the slack line, then pull again, similar to working a suick fast. His first trip out he added another WI 50 to his list.

I Then went out after that and tried his style and on a VERY tough day I was able to get a reaction strike and catch a fish working the bait the same way.

Give it a try...those hellhounds have some silly crazy action when you do the pull pause instead of a twitch twitch motion.

Get a reaction strike instead of the hypnotic side to side which a lot of times produces follows instead of eaters.

Cory
jakejusa
Posted 7/14/2010 1:18 PM (#449897 - in reply to #449073)

Love to fish them! Because anymore I really am not working the jerkbaits like I know they should be worked. The gliders are just plain easier on me. Here's a couple thoughts, one: don't use it as a search bait, there are those that can argue the point I'm sure but I feel there are better baits for checking new water. Two, we do what we call the trial close (except in the fall) this is nothing more than running the glider at pace and then about 1/2 way back, change rod angle and make her come towards the surface at twice the pace as previously done. Then slowly lower into a pace that is slighty still faster than you started with, then go for it when you get to the boat again. Basically creating 3 chances to trigger the fish per retreive. Hits can rip your arms off and the fish can open their mouth and let go. We had a fish last year come out of the water with the bait in it's mouth with the hooks pointed towards us. The fish held on through a good hookset and went back under and let go. We both agreed that we both could see the hooks when she came out with it. I always have glide baits in the boat but there are days they do not get wet. Then there are others that they are the MAN!
uptown
Posted 7/14/2010 11:07 PM (#450027 - in reply to #449073)

Gliders suck and don't catch big fish. You also can't catch a muskie in the summer,because they lose their teeth. Also, don't forget that the Muskies are eating all of the walleyes too.

Everyone has an opinion. Watch what you ask. Or formulate your own opinion.

I fish gliders a lot.Fact. I catch very big fish on them. Up to 56".fact

I like to fish them two different ways- as stated by others. Mostly in the summer- I work them REALLY fast and erratic. I will throw in a pause every now and then. I always give it a good rip when the bait is near the boat. A well made glider should roll up on it's belly on the rip. That change up has accounted for many fish. They usually come out of nowhere and just hammer it!

Then in the fall, slow with long pauses. works when nothing else will.

I do fish other types of baits . I would be stupid not to! To discount gliders and say that "top" fisherman don't use them often,so there is proof, Is B.S.

The majority of lures that I sell every year are bought by "the top fisherman". I fish with many of the noted fisherman. ALL of them use gliders when the time is right. And the time is right more often than you think.

Fish with what makes you happy. If gliders are not working for you- use something else! Don't let other people's opinions stop you from having confidence in a technique.

Joe
Trueglide.com

Edited by uptown 7/14/2010 11:10 PM
firstsixfeet
Posted 7/15/2010 12:12 AM (#450031 - in reply to #450027)

And to quote one of the last lines in the trueglide.com site,

"We can’t help it if we’ve caught a few fishermen as well."

LOL
Uptown
Posted 7/15/2010 11:06 AM (#450077 - in reply to #449073)

And to quote that qoute..

Anyone who knows me or has tried to buy lures from me, knows that I don't make lures or sell any during fishing season

I also make a lot more than gliders.I agree, I should have just kept my opinion to myself. It just drives me crazy when people come on the boards and speak as an "authority " on Muskie fishing. I know that I still think that I suck at times. So I don't offer my advice unless it is in an area that I feel I may actually be able to contribute .

I am done adding my 2 cents. I'd rather be fishing:)

Joe
Trueglide.com-don't buy my stuff.
lehighmuskies
Posted 7/15/2010 4:35 PM (#450148 - in reply to #449073)

im not saying they dont work i just need to hook a fish on one so i get some confidence.there fun to throw but i just feel like im wasting my time when im not seeing fish.i know lots of guys that catch fish on gliders.
i was just looking for different ways to fish them to get fish to bite thankyou for the responses most of them helped
Jump to page : 1 2
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)