Muskie Discussion Forums

Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Language | Blogs Search | Statistics | User Listing
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )
Moderators: Slamr

View previous thread :: View next thread
Jump to page : 1 2
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]

Muskie Fishing -> General Discussion -> dogs in the boat?

Message Subject: dogs in the boat?
hammerhandle
Posted 6/7/2010 10:00 AM (#444288)
Subject: dogs in the boat?

Anybody out there fish with a dog in the boat with them? I have done it a few times with my 10 mo. old dog but have been putting my spare rod's lure in the side storage (kind of pinching the line). Any tips on keeping it safe in the boat for dogs. What do you do with extra rods with baits on them? Thanks for any replies.

Bo
Pointerpride102
Posted 6/7/2010 10:02 AM (#444290 - in reply to #444288)
Subject: Re: dogs in the boat?

Taking the baits off the extra rods seems logical.
hammerhandle
Posted 6/7/2010 10:06 AM (#444292 - in reply to #444288)
Subject: RE: dogs in the boat?

Yes that does seem logical, but I'm referring to a rod with a throwback bait already rigged up. I understand that would be the easiest and probably smartest thing to do, but I am looking for any tips from anybody who does always keep a throwback rod hooked up.
BNelson
Posted 6/7/2010 10:06 AM (#444293 - in reply to #444290)

i have had my dog in the boat since she was a puppy...biggest thing to do is train them that the front 1/2 of the boat or so is off liimits....as that is where my bait tube w/ lures is and the rods are on one side in the front deck w/ baits on them...she did get hooked once in one of her pads when she was about a yr old and it's funny how well her memory is 4 yrs later but she knows musky lures are not something she wants to get near...
train them that the back of the boat is their place and you will be fine....my dog is as mellow in the boat as they come and usually sleeps most of the time and could care less when we put muskies in the net.....unless she is sleeping in the net...then it gets a little more interesting...

Edited by BNelson 6/7/2010 10:07 AM

Zoom - | Zoom 100% | Zoom + | Expand / Contract | Open New window
Click to expand / contract the width of this image
(summer20.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments summer20.jpg (32KB - 91 downloads)
crackpot
Posted 6/7/2010 10:09 AM (#444294 - in reply to #444288)

I take my lab with me sometimes and when i do i just make sure all hooks are not out in the open i.e actually putting baits back in the box after using one instead of throwing it in a pile on the floor. With rods i either put them back in the locker when not in use or strap them down on the deck so they don't get knocked in the water. He got hooked by a bulldawg a couple years ago in the leg and now when i put a bulldawg on and cast it he barks at the first cast every time.
crackpot
Posted 6/7/2010 10:14 AM (#444295 - in reply to #444294)

I agree with Brad, it only takes being hooked once and they're cautious around baits. My dog doesn't lay down much and sits at my feet most of the time watching every cast, when he gets tired and lays down he still has to get up to see if there's a fish behind every cast...apparently he has the timing down from when i cast to when the bait is almost back to the boat.
Posted 6/7/2010 10:32 AM (#444296 - in reply to #444288)

Another reason to go Barbless
FlyFish4Esox
Posted 6/7/2010 11:26 AM (#444308 - in reply to #444288)

Ditto on dogs being hooked and learning. I know a guy who took his girlfriend's Viszla out in the boat with him and they had to cut the fishing trip short to go to the vets office after the dog ended up with the rear treble of a 9" Eddie bait through his nose. After that experience, the dog stays in the back of the boat or curls up under the console.
Shoot2Kill
Posted 6/7/2010 11:33 AM (#444310 - in reply to #444308)

I adopted my current lab at 4 years old when he was going to be taken to the pound (fantastic hunting dog, previous owners wife was a bizzo)...he's calm as can be 100% of the time.....or so I thought....took him out in the boat last summer and he was a little excited but not bad.....he was sitting down in the back of the boat where I told him to sit, I got my rod rigged up and he looked at me like he'd never seen one before so I thought I was good to go. haha...was I wrong. I was watching him as I was getting ready to cast and he wasn't showing much interest....until that bait hit the water and BAM, he just like one of those dock jumpers out of the bow of my boat! Game over! Labs, big lures, water = disaster for me. haha. I've worked with him, but it's just in his blood to retrieve anything that hits the water and at 5 years old I guess I won't break him of that since getting my own ducks sucks. haha.

Mak51
Posted 6/7/2010 11:54 AM (#444314 - in reply to #444310)

I have spent many hours in the boat with my friend's Jack Russell Terrier. He's a good dog and behaves well. He only becomes somewhat of a problem when we have a fish in the net and he wants to jump in and swim with around with the musky. Always nice to have a little companion in the boat. Here's a pic of my buddy's dog trying to chomp the tail of a musky much bigger than he.

Edited by Mak51 6/7/2010 11:57 AM

(Sonny.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments Sonny.jpg (28KB - 78 downloads)
Conservation Guy
Posted 6/7/2010 12:16 PM (#444318 - in reply to #444314)

Dogs are great fishing companions - they have significant bladder capacity! On a serious note, while they are great to have, you do have to be constantly alert to what is laying around. Just last weekend I had a lapse because I was in a hurry. I have never heard such squealing as when my lab got hooked up to a phantom. Luckily, I was able to get the barbs out, but it is a dangerous situation to have an 80 lb dog thrashing around with a bait in his paw and back leg.....good way to send the dog and yourself to the doctor. I now have a clear plastic box I just put a handful of baits I look to use.

Otherwise, it is great to have a dog along especially if you fish alone a lot

-Conservation Guy - successfully releasing fish up to 40 lbs and labs up to 80 lbs.
esoxfly
Posted 6/7/2010 12:41 PM (#444323 - in reply to #444294)

crackpot - 6/7/2010 11:09 AM

I take my lab with me sometimes and when i do i just make sure all hooks are not out in the open i.e actually putting baits back in the box after using one instead of throwing it in a pile on the floor.

Agreed. It's just a rule in my boat that there's no baits for flies laying around. I may hang a couple on my windshield, up where he can't get to them. But it's just as quick for me to unclip and clip a new bait on as it is to grab a whole 'nother rod.

My dog knows to stay behind me and stay out of the way. When it's calm, he's allowed on the deck, but when it's rough out and I don't want to trip over him, he's relegated to the back of the boat.

(P8300014r.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments P8300014r.jpg (289KB - 81 downloads)
ski' patrol
Posted 6/7/2010 12:53 PM (#444325 - in reply to #444288)

Only thing I could think of would be to just get a couple of those plastic tubes and slide your throwback lures in them while hooked up or just dangle the lures over the side of the boat.
Jomusky
Posted 6/7/2010 1:29 PM (#444327 - in reply to #444325)

My Chessy (Mercury) is 13 years old, he has been in the boat since a pup. Most of the time he is up front by me in my bass boat. Lately he seems to like it a bit more on the bench seat during the long days. I always have at least one rod rigged with a bait laying on top of the rod locker on the side of the boat and a few baits on the other side. He has been hooked a few times over the years. Once when he was a couple of years old it was pretty bad with one hook in the nose and the other in a paw. I cut the hooks, let him swim for a bit and he was fine. He definetely has learned to stay away from them. Now maybe once a year he might get one to stick to him but he has learned to freeze and wait for me to take it off, doesn't even bleed at all. The rod(s) and baits are always in the same place and there is plenty of room for him. With his old age I have to pick him up into the boat and back of the truck now, but he really does love time in the boat. I have always kept him on a leash with the end hooped onto the front seat post. He knows that if I take the leash off it's swim time. He's still a ton of fun, he barks and gets excited when I set the hook. Many of my friends will call to see what we got when they hear him barking. He is a little anoying at times trolling because he barks when the clicker goes off, even when just setting lines out.

Dogs in the boat are awesome. Attached is an old picture from LOTW which is my favorite.

(Canada2000 good [Desktop Resolution].jpg)

(Squaw Fishing.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments Canada2000 good [Desktop Resolution].jpg (272KB - 77 downloads)
Attachments Squaw Fishing.jpg (160KB - 82 downloads)
Posted 6/7/2010 1:57 PM (#444331 - in reply to #444288)

Dogs in the boat are awesome, I never fish without my good luck charms. I have covered bait tubes and a good place on the side of the boat to lay my rods down, the dogs don't bother them much, usually have the baits facing down, but if you don't have a good place alongside for baits and rods it might be more of a challenge. I had to cut two hooks out of the brown one last year but both were flukes, neither were musky baits, just random hooks laying around that I didn't see.

[IMG]http://i280.photobucket.com/albums/kk176/airmarc00/46jake.jpg[/IMG]
jonnysled
Posted 6/7/2010 1:58 PM (#444332 - in reply to #444288)

jomusky ...

good-lookin pooch!!
Junkman
Posted 6/7/2010 2:32 PM (#444343 - in reply to #444332)

I bring my 10 year old Golden all the time, perfect partner that very seldom outfishes me or comments on backlashes, missed fish or blown figure eights. My two rules are (1) if Buddy is in the boat, only one rod is on the deck. and (2) I aways have his water bowl with me and at least half full. Marty Forman
suicknut
Posted 6/7/2010 2:49 PM (#444348 - in reply to #444343)

Used to fish with my wifes Lasa all the time but sorry to say she is gone now and have tried to fish with my English setters but found that ducks or loons, geese etc. would drive them nuts to the point that they would jump in after them and then I was chasing them down and dealing with a wet dog so I haven't had them in the boat for a long time.
jonnysled
Posted 6/7/2010 2:57 PM (#444351 - in reply to #444288)

what did you catch on that lhasa?
suicknut
Posted 6/7/2010 5:39 PM (#444372 - in reply to #444351)

We never let her jump in cause when she did swim it looked like a gray double 13 in the water.
curleytail
Posted 6/7/2010 6:42 PM (#444382 - in reply to #444288)

I have a 14 month old Springer Spaniel. Started taking him out in the boat with me last year when he was a pretty little puppy. He did okay in the boat, but didn't go along a lot because he got motion sick pretty easily when we first got him.

He's been going along now with me quite a bit and has been doing great in the boat. I let him be off leash when fishing for walleyes, panfish, etc. When the musky gear comes out, I leave him hooked to a leash which is looped around the farthest forward seat post in the cockpit. Lets him just get up onto the front deck, or his front feet up on the back. I can also keep some baits laying on the floor in the very front of the bow when he's leashed up.

He doesn't go wild over them, but he get's a little interested in fish. I leave him hooked up while musky fishing just to be on the safe side to make sure he doesn't jump in after one.

I think it's important to take them out in the boat early if possible, and don't make a big, exciting deal of it at first. Keep calm, keep the dog calm, and you'll have a good fishing buddy. If the fishing is slow, Riley is pretty content to find some shade and take a nap. Junkman is right though - keep water in the boat for them. I usually try to create a littlle shade on the sunny days if I can too.

curleytail

(Rileyboat.jpg)

(P_001a[1].jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments Rileyboat.jpg (104KB - 81 downloads)
Attachments P_001a[1].jpg (97KB - 78 downloads)
Junkman
Posted 6/7/2010 8:42 PM (#444393 - in reply to #444382)

One more thing. If you are lucky enough to have one of those nice removable casting decks (like on the big Rangers) and you are alone in the boat anyway, take the receiver pole for the rear butt seat out of there, and remove all the crappola you store under there and it makes a perfect place for the pooch to have a snooze out of the sun. A dog can take the heat fine, but they are entitled to have shade. I'm not saying you should go out of your way for everybody, but the dog deserves it. Marty Forman
jtmenard
Posted 6/7/2010 9:56 PM (#444399 - in reply to #444288)

I took my parents' black lab out in the boat one night a couple years ago. I had the boat cleaned up and no baits or hooks out anywhere. We fished for a couple hours and everything was good. At the end of the night I attached the Pacemaker to the pole and was holding it when the dog decided to shake (a full body shake - like she was shaking water off). Anyways, her tail wagged way over and got stock to a treble on the pacemaker. She yelped and jumped, which pulled the treble out. We knew she was hurt cuz she kept wimpering all the way in and wouldn't sit down. When we got in we discovered she split the last 2" of her tail. Pulled the treble straight through. Ouch! Had to wake up the Hayward vet to get some stitches. Poor dog:( Be careful!
Cowboyhannah
Posted 6/7/2010 10:07 PM (#444400 - in reply to #444399)

+1 on the once bitten twice shy idea. My Silver Lab, Ranger, is my most frequent fishing partner. The first season in the boat he got a little too curious about what a shallowraider was as it hung on the tube beneath my but seat....took the hook all the way through the left outer nostril. Had a heck of a time getting him to sit still so I could cut the barb off and back the hook out...OUCH! Bled like a stuck pig, but never, NEVER sniffed another bait. He likes to curl up in my net as many other dogs do...that cost me a fish earlier this year !@#!@#!! I love having him in the boat...we carry on extended one-sided conversations like, "Wuttya think, boy...there gonna be a fish sittin' on that point or should be hit the weedbed on the east end?"

By the way, he never asks why we're fishing this spot or complains when fish aren't moving. Here's a pic he nosed his way into this spring and one from last season.

Oh, yeah, if you really want to see him get excited, just say, "Let's go fishin'!!!" and he runs to the truck...can't beat that with a stick.

Edited by Cowboyhannah 6/7/2010 10:31 PM

(range pic smaller.jpg)

(ranger_phixr.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments range pic smaller.jpg (79KB - 81 downloads)
Attachments ranger_phixr.jpg (157KB - 77 downloads)
JRedig
Posted 6/7/2010 11:51 PM (#444410 - in reply to #444288)

I love dogs in the boat, Mak51 showed my JRT and this year i've added an english setter to the mix. She's a good dog and learning quickly, but doesn't understand the bait game yet. She'll get hooked once or twice, so did the JRT, then they learn. Probably the most entertaining thing is she constantly stands at the edge looking over the water at her reflection....you can just see this look on her face, "hey who are you??? are you a bird???!!!"

Earlier this year I had all 4 hounds with me, 1 being an akita at 120lbs. Needless to say, those are 1 bait at a time conditions, pretty darn fun though.
cjrich
Posted 6/8/2010 4:41 AM (#444414 - in reply to #444288)

Spank the Wonder Dog has been a fixture on my boats for 4 years now. He instinctively learned when it's safe to come forward in the boat, and usually stays back when someone has a fish on.

(100_3806 [1600x1200].JPG)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments 100_3806 [1600x1200].JPG (56KB - 88 downloads)
Kuhly
Posted 6/8/2010 9:36 AM (#444441 - in reply to #444288)

My buddy keeps his throw back baits in a couple of pieces of PVC pipe so none of the hooks are showing and then keeps them stored out of the way. Some great pics guys! BNelson pic of his catch is my fav.
hammerhandle
Posted 6/8/2010 11:54 AM (#444456 - in reply to #444288)

Thanks for all the replies fellas, all helpful advice. Keep the pictures coming. Hopefully I can post one of my own soon with my new fishing partner.

Bo
stdevos
Posted 6/8/2010 7:18 PM (#444543 - in reply to #444456)

I definitely have a love/hate relationship of having my dog along with me. She's a deadly fishing mix, chessy and aussy. She thinks she is a working dog and her work is to retrieve. She usually spends the first hour of the trip barking or whining every time my bait hits the water. She also loves to swim, so she needs to take a lap or two around the boat every hour or so regardless of water temps. Her companionship is worth it though and I've actually had quite a bit of luck fishing with her.

My best advice is to build a rod hook hanger fence with your tackle boxes. I don't like the idea of tieing her up since I have a very small boat, I worry about her trying to jump out regardless and end up hanging herself or something. You can kind of see what I mean in the picture (fish didn't turn out unfortunately). I also open my tacklebox cover so it lays on top of my baits, that makes it nearly impossible for her to get hooked.

(10334_191966417328_739972328_3960245_3661337_n.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments 10334_191966417328_739972328_3960245_3661337_n.jpg (43KB - 77 downloads)
d2bucktail
Posted 6/11/2010 12:06 AM (#444946 - in reply to #444288)

Before he went to the dog park in the sky, my 100 lb German Shepherd stood with me up front and watched intently for follows on EVERY cast. During the years we shared the boat together he jumped out once (first trip together when he was 10 months old) and fell out twice. Oh, and he got hooked in the hind quarter by a lure I had hanging on the console while fishing on Little Green Lake - He was vocally unhappy at that time but went right back to watching for follows once I had removed the hook. And once when I apparently wasn't paying attention to his needs, he took a dump on a friend's brand new rain suit. Priceless!

Edited by d2bucktail 6/11/2010 12:13 AM

(Maxx-Dave1.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments Maxx-Dave1.jpg (85KB - 80 downloads)
Jump to page : 1 2
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)