Muskie Discussion Forums

Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Language | Blogs Search | Statistics | User Listing
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )
Moderators: Slamr

View previous thread :: View next thread
Jump to page : 1 2
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]

Muskie Fishing -> General Discussion -> Has anyone ever actually had the rod ripped out of their hand?

Message Subject: Has anyone ever actually had the rod ripped out of their hand?
bassinbob84
Posted 1/23/2010 7:55 PM (#419067)
Subject: Has anyone ever actually had the rod ripped out of their hand?

You always hear People say the fish hit so hard it almost ripped the rod out of my hand. Does anyone actually have story that ends with the fish getting a new free rod???
sworrall
Posted 1/23/2010 8:00 PM (#419069 - in reply to #419067)
Subject: Re: Has anyone ever actually had the rod ripped out of their hand?

Yes, but I got it back and landed the fish. My son thought it was pretty funny.
Deeply Hooked
Posted 1/23/2010 8:02 PM (#419071 - in reply to #419067)

Yea......There I was.....at Rollie and Hellens holding on to a brand new St.Croix.......My wife saw the price tag....and it was ripped right out of my hands!!!!!!!!!!LOL
Jim Munday
Posted 1/23/2010 8:03 PM (#419072 - in reply to #419071)

Now THAT was funny...
bassinbob84
Posted 1/23/2010 8:15 PM (#419074 - in reply to #419071)

Deeply Hooked - 1/23/2010 8:02 PM

Yea......There I was.....at Rollie and Hellens holding on to a brand new St.Croix.......My wife saw the price tag....and it was ripped right out of my hands!!!!!!!!!!LOL

Are you saying your wife is green and slimy??? Lol sorry I couldn't resist.
WI Skis
Posted 1/23/2010 8:18 PM (#419075 - in reply to #419067)

LOL thats why you dont take your wife with you to Rollies Kyle!!

Peter
missourimuskyhunter
Posted 1/23/2010 8:34 PM (#419081 - in reply to #419067)
Subject: RE: Has anyone ever actually had the rod ripped out of their hand?

No,but did watch my father in-laws rod go flying off the back of the boat he just baited for crappie on a well known big catfish lake and then 10 minutes later he forgot to put his glasses back on that were left on the rear deck of the boat only to fly into the water after take off.One of my best days....
Deeply Hooked
Posted 1/23/2010 8:40 PM (#419082 - in reply to #419067)

She said she would buy me something......until she saw the prices! I'll have you know I got a VERY nice daredevil that year for my birthday!!!!LOL
bassinbob84
Posted 1/23/2010 8:42 PM (#419083 - in reply to #419067)

Sworrall, was the rod floating and you grabbed it quick?
Mak51
Posted 1/23/2010 8:44 PM (#419084 - in reply to #419082)

I have never had a musky take a rod out of my hands, however I have had steelhead come close.

I did put a rig in Mille Lacs last summer when the pounder + backlash ripped the rod out of my hands. Thankfully my quick boat partner snagged my line and retrieved it.
bassinbob84
Posted 1/23/2010 8:45 PM (#419085 - in reply to #419082)

Deeply Hooked - 1/23/2010 8:40 PM

She said she would buy me something......until she saw the prices! I'll have you know I got a VERY nice daredevil that year for my birthday!!!!LOL

As long as it was a VERY nice daredevil it almost makes up for the rod
b_seiser
Posted 1/23/2010 9:40 PM (#419096 - in reply to #419067)

not musky fishing, but i was fishing when my boat partner had a low end rod and while casting the rod broke at the handle and the rod must have went 50 feet into the lake, we put on some heavy bucktails and started casting and letting it sink to try and snag the line or pole and after about 10 minutes im pulling up my bucktail and as i go to cast again i look down to see a 45inch musky that had just followed my bucktail up.. we did finally get that pole, but no fish...
sworrall
Posted 1/23/2010 9:46 PM (#419097 - in reply to #419067)

I lost the rod out of my left hand, and caught it with my right hand by the very end as the rod butt nearly disappeared into the water.
Hawkeye
Posted 1/23/2010 10:03 PM (#419100 - in reply to #419067)

I actually managed to just plain throw a rod and reel into the water once. Never was quite sure how it all happened, but one minute I'm making a cast and the next I'm watching the rod and reel sail over the edge towards the water, and then... 'splash'.

For a few seconds it was like time slowed down, and I'm seeing it all happen while thinking "Should I dive in after it? No---I'd get my clothes and wallet all wet." Then it was gone from sight. This gets better, though...

A few days later, the guy I was fishing with and a buddy of his went back to the same place, and his buddy used some kind of treble hook to drag the bottom of the lake while they motored back and forth in the general area we were fishing in--and actually manages to snag my rod and reel and gets it back to the boat! The reel was fine after a good cleaning, but the rod sort of had a bow to it after that from being in the water for too long.
ToddM
Posted 1/23/2010 10:22 PM (#419104 - in reply to #419067)

Not a rod but I did have a planer board ripped out of my hand, caught a nice 40"er.
Muskie4Life
Posted 1/23/2010 10:42 PM (#419109 - in reply to #419067)

Was fishing with my wife one day when I hear all this splashing and commotion in the back of the boat. I think she has a fish and I spin around to see her half in the lake with a leg flinging up in the air. I'm thinking what the hell is going on, so I hurry back there to find her grabbing for my rod. I asked what happen, she said she forgot to push the button and the rod flew into the lake. I was laughing, she was crying with her hand bleeding and her knees were all scraped up from the gunnel. I told her she could have just let it go, it wasn't worth getting hurt for. She said, but you would have bought a new one. I said, yep!! I only tell this story when she's not around!!LOL
bfunk73183
Posted 1/23/2010 11:11 PM (#419117 - in reply to #419067)

when i was like 5 or so my new Zebco spincast combo got pulled off of grandmas dock into Lake Mendota. dad and i were sitting on the dock fishing and i was told to go get dad another beer so i did and when i was walking down the dock i watched my rod get pulled into the lake. tried to find it but never did (at the end of grandmas dock it was about 11ft deep or so)

-ba-
mskygyd
Posted 1/24/2010 10:30 AM (#419172 - in reply to #419067)

My daughter had a musky pull her Mickey Mouse rod out of her hands after it hit a big fat juicy nightcrawler. It jumped 3 times with rod in tow. Replaced that rod with the Shakespear kids reel with a decent drag.
Schuler
Posted 1/24/2010 3:17 PM (#419211 - in reply to #419067)

I had a reel lock up when trying to throw a mag dawg. The rod came out of my hands, did a flip and then landed in the water. Luckily, it floated.
tfootstalker
Posted 1/24/2010 3:51 PM (#419220 - in reply to #419100)

Hawkeye - 1/23/2010 10:03 PM  For a few seconds it was like time slowed down, and I'm seeing it all happen while thinking "Should I dive in after it? No---I'd get my clothes and wallet all wet." Then it was gone from sight. This gets better, though... 

No hesitation here.  Handle blew out while casting a pounder.  Caught up with the rod about three feet down on a blind dive.  Took a week for the cell phone to dry out...

Zoom - | Zoom 100% | Zoom + | Expand / Contract | Open New window
Click to expand / contract the width of this image
(Rod Rescue.JPG)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments Rod Rescue.JPG (36KB - 104 downloads)
JakeStCroixSkis
Posted 1/24/2010 6:41 PM (#419239 - in reply to #419067)

Haha did you finish the trip in your soaked clothes?? Looks dark i bet you were a bit cold
crackpot
Posted 1/24/2010 7:05 PM (#419244 - in reply to #419067)

talked to a guy at a ramp on LOTW's last year whose son had a 48 incher rip the rod out of his hand on a figure 8...his son dove in after the rod, got the rod and handed it to his dad, climbed back in the boat and netted the fish.
Lightning
Posted 1/24/2010 9:01 PM (#419266 - in reply to #419067)

Saw a guy lose three rods in a day. One of them the fish took them right out of his hand. The other two he lost trolling because he didn't lock the rods down in the holder they popped right out when he hit a section of wood.
muskie24/7
Posted 1/24/2010 9:04 PM (#419267 - in reply to #419244)

I forgot I had a really bad backlash on my previous trip! First cast with a 10" Weagle my brand new Calcutta went sailing into the river current! I Fished for it with a deep diving crank for about 30 or 40minutes and finally hooked the line and pulled it in! I would still be there throwing that Crank if I didn't get it! That Calcutta was by far the most expensive reel I ever bought and I sure as Hell wasn't leaving without it! LOL!

Another time I was Catfishing with a couple buddies and another guy named JACK DANIELS. My one buddy went in the woods to releive himself and we decided to mess with him and hide his BRAND NEW pole and tell him a fish pulled it in. He came staggering back as we screamed and pretended like we were trying to stop his pole from going in the water! To our surprise when we told him a fish took his rod, he flipped out and threw his tackle box and the rest of his fishing gear into the river. He said theres no sense in having this junk! To this day me or my buddie told him any different! LOl!

Brian
Almost-B-Good
Posted 1/25/2010 6:58 AM (#419338 - in reply to #419067)

Yup! Had a friend have that happen a bunch of years ago on Lac Seul. He was fishing smelt under a bobber for pike. He had the drag screwed as tight as possible for a good hookset. When the fish hit he clamped down on the line with his front hand pinning it to the foregrip just in case the drag slipped. Set the hook once, twice and the guy in the boat with him said "It was the #*^@edest thing I've ever seen, the rod bounced off the side of his head after the last hookset and just went flying out into the lake!" He wound up getting the rod back, but no fish and bonus trip to the local medical facility with an extremely enlarged knuckle where the trigger seat ripped through his hand. Reel was spooled with fresh 20# mono.

Edited by Almost-B-Good 1/25/2010 7:00 AM
Johnnie
Posted 1/25/2010 7:56 AM (#419342 - in reply to #419338)

A number of years back I purcased a new 5600 Morrum and had it on a new rod. The first day on the water, I was turned back talking to my partner when a fish hit and the rood was pulled in the water. I can remember thinking...there was $300+ sinking to the bottom in about 100 ft of water. The wind was blowing pretty good that day. I quickly threw out a marker. It was in early summer and I happened to have an anchor for walleye fishing in the boat. We each hooked up a couple of heavy bucktail and went back to the marker and dropped anchor. After one cast and a slow bottom retrieve, the wind had dragged the anchor and us into deep water. I pulled the anchor to reposition the boat and noticed line hooked over one of the three prongs of the anchor. I carefully reached over the boat down and grabbed the line. The rod tip by then was inches from the anchor. When I got the rod and started to reel in, the 3 foot fish was still on. Apparently, the fish hit so hard jerking the rod from my hands, that the hook was set. My partner said I was the luckiest sob around. I had trouble getting the fine lake sand out of the bearings of the reel. After strip cleaning a few times, I sent the reel to Iowa and they replaced the bearings and now the reel works great.
LOTWbeachbum
Posted 1/25/2010 10:51 AM (#419374 - in reply to #419067)

Took some of my cousin's Chicago friends up to the Jeddy to see LOTW one spring. Northerns start to move into the Warroad river and can be an easy target up at the point just after Ice-Out. There was a youngster there bobber "fishing" with his grandparents when his rod went flying off of the dock. Like a javelin stuck in the mud, the handle was poking out of the water as the little fella started crying.

There wasn't any doubt that I was going in. Stripped to my skivvies and retrieved the rod with the fish still attached. I don't know who's jaw had dropped farther - the grandparents' or the City Slicker's... good country fun.

Another time I watched my old man toss his rig into the drink when the rod snapped right beneath the reel. I learned a lot of profanities that evening as my dad stood there with just the handle in his hands.

Out
K
muskie_man
Posted 1/25/2010 10:59 AM (#419375 - in reply to #419220)

tfootstalker - 1/24/2010 4:51 PM

Hawkeye - 1/23/2010 10:03 PM  For a few seconds it was like time slowed down, and I'm seeing it all happen while thinking "Should I dive in after it? No---I'd get my clothes and wallet all wet." Then it was gone from sight. This gets better, though... 

No hesitation here.  Handle blew out while casting a pounder.  Caught up with the rod about three feet down on a blind dive.  Took a week for the cell phone to dry out...

What rod was that that the handle broke?
brmusky
Posted 1/25/2010 12:36 PM (#419402 - in reply to #419067)

I had thoughts going through my head one day this summer whether I was going to let go of the rod or get pulled into the lake by a fish. I snagged a 40 inch musky only a few cranks into the retreive of a long cast and It immediately took off in the opposite direction as the boat. I bent my knees, bent over and was just about ready to let go of the rod because I was almost falling in and then the fish's burst of speed was over. I told my buddy that this is either snagged near the tail or 60 inches.
Another guy I know did lose a rod with a musky on it this summer. The fish hit in a figure 8 and took off with his rod and the lure.
Netman
Posted 1/25/2010 2:27 PM (#419425 - in reply to #419067)

I always thought about using something attached to the reel like they give you with a Wii. Does anyone know if they make a strap that attaches to your wrist and the reel?
Bruce
Jump to page : 1 2
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)