Muskie Discussion Forums

Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Language | Blogs Search | Statistics | User Listing
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )
Moderators: Slamr

View previous thread :: View next thread
Jump to page : 1 2 3
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]

Muskie Fishing -> General Discussion -> Say goodbye to the Great Lakes.....

Message Subject: Say goodbye to the Great Lakes.....
Muskiemetal
Posted 11/20/2009 8:01 AM (#409331)
Subject: Say goodbye to the Great Lakes.....

http://www.jsonline.com/news/wisconsin/70573047.html

They really should have broke any connection to the lakes completely.  The electric barrier was a joke....

Edited by Muskiemetal 11/20/2009 8:02 AM
esoxaddict
Posted 11/20/2009 11:58 AM (#409347 - in reply to #409331)
Subject: Re: Say goodbye to the Great Lakes.....

Well... We knew it was only a matter of time. You can't expect them to just shut down the canal over a fish. It's unfortunate, but at this point there is little that can be done, I'm afraid. Best bet would be to come up with an exotic name for them and start selling the #*#* in trendy restaraunts with a high price tag. Do that and they'll be in danger of extinction within a decade.
firstsixfeet
Posted 11/20/2009 12:07 PM (#409350 - in reply to #409347)

Ship em to China.

We owe them some lead and heavy metals. What better way. Stress the fact that these fish have more powers as an aphrodisiac than shark fins.

Heck, sell em to Slamr under that guise. He'll be a big buyer!
dtaijo174
Posted 11/20/2009 12:20 PM (#409353 - in reply to #409331)

They are going to poison the river.

"Thomas said the plan to poison the canal is going to have to grow to cover areas above the barrier, which is about 20 miles downstream from the Lake Michigan shoreline."

Cowboyhannah
Posted 11/20/2009 1:35 PM (#409358 - in reply to #409331)

I'm thinkin' nukes.
firstsixfeet
Posted 11/20/2009 1:37 PM (#409359 - in reply to #409353)

dtaijo174 - 11/20/2009 12:20 PM

"Thomas said the plan to poison the canal is going to have to grow to cover areas above the barrier, which is about 20 miles downstream from the Lake Michigan shoreline."

Why skip the upper 20, no reason to believe they aren't in it already.

Besides, we are talking the Illinois River here, uhm, how exactly can you poison that? Or do they mean they are going to poison it EVEN MORE!
Pointerpride102
Posted 11/20/2009 2:29 PM (#409364 - in reply to #409359)

firstsixfeet - 11/20/2009 1:37 PM

dtaijo174 - 11/20/2009 12:20 PM

Why skip the upper 20, no reason to believe they aren't in it already.

Besides, we are talking the Illinois River here, uhm, how exactly can you poison that? Or do they mean they are going to poison it EVEN MORE! :)

Rotenone is pretty impressive.
esoxaddict
Posted 11/20/2009 2:39 PM (#409365 - in reply to #409331)

Their going to poison the sanitary and ship canal, Noooooo!!

LMAO, I've always liked the signs at the launches that say "no swimming allowed. Do not ingest water, and avoid contact with eyes and skin. I case of accidental contact, etc..." And then you see folks FISHING, on shore, with buckets that you KNOW are taking home with them and eating the #*#*... WOW.
Beaver
Posted 11/21/2009 8:53 AM (#409409 - in reply to #409365)

Didn't they use Rotenone to subdue The Creature from The Black Lagoon"?
MuskieMruz
Posted 11/21/2009 1:01 PM (#409423 - in reply to #409331)

Maybe the Feds with all their wisdom and TARP economic recovery act funds can bread a super muskie they can stock to eat all the carp???
jokes... really?
Posted 11/21/2009 1:49 PM (#409426 - in reply to #409331)
Subject: RE: Say goodbye to the Great Lakes.....

glad to see you guys taking it serious, its just a matter of time before they reach Northern Wisconsin rivers and lakes, then Minnesota, then Canada.
Posted 11/21/2009 3:35 PM (#409430 - in reply to #409331)

This is exactly why you can't transport big suckers to different lakes around MN. Because nobody can predict what is going to happen when you introduce a fish to a lake it isn't native to. Let this be a lesson and fine example to the guys that want to bend the rules. Like it or not, the fisheries guys know what they are doing, too bad they are held back by politics.

Also, Rotenone is pretty wicked stuff. When/If they do this, EVERY fish in the canal will be belly up. Invasive or not. It's too bad it has come to this.
Pointerpride102
Posted 11/21/2009 4:32 PM (#409435 - in reply to #409426)

jokes... really? - 11/21/2009 1:49 PM

glad to see you guys taking it serious, its just a matter of time before they reach Northern Wisconsin rivers and lakes, then Minnesota, then Canada.

Jokes.....really? Yeah, why not? What would you like people to do? Drive down in droves with spears, grenades, TNT, bows and arrows, rifles, shotguns and any other weapons you can dream up and try and wipe these things out? God forbid people joke about something. Fact of the matter is invasive species are incredibly difficult to combat. Plain and simple. Not much the average guy on here can do about it. Lighten up.

To the other guest talking about Rotenone: You are correct that it makes everything go belly up. Hence where politics come into play. Many anglers will pee and moan that it will kill all 'their' fish, yet out of the other side of their mouth they will pee and moan that the fisheries people aren't doing enough to stop the invasive fish. The other problem with rotenone, while effective, is it is fairly costly and only kills the fish in the river at that time. If there is nothing stopping the invasive carp from moving back into the stream, you can bet that they will make it back. So you can see where this is very difficult for the fisheries guys to manage.
esox911
Posted 11/21/2009 5:41 PM (#409438 - in reply to #409435)

Heard this on the local news here in chicago yesterday--I have witnessed their jumping first hand on the ILL RIVER---Terrible thing to think what might happen to the great lakes---I support anything they can do to try and stop this--It will be devastating to lake michigan in 10 years if they make it there. Very sad!!!
Ranger
Posted 11/21/2009 6:12 PM (#409439 - in reply to #409331)

The biggest threat to the great lakes is/are, by far, the nuke plants along the shores. Invasive species are part of evolution, read yer Darwin. Actually, nuke plants fit within Darwin; as a species we're doing ourselves in due to short-sighted, greedy selfishness. We continue to play a losing hand with the nuke plants. Anyone who argues that the benefits outweigh the risks are not looking past next week. We learned NOTHING from Fermie 1 melt-down. We built a duplicate (Fermie 2) right friggin next to the one that we covered with a concrete toumb. Of course you can't cover a zillion year fire with bricks and expect it to be safe, like Chernobyl, Fermie 1 continues to burn. It will never be safe, Fermie 1 remains out of control by any reasonable stadards.

You want to protect the Great Lakes? Shut down nuke plants that are located right next to the waters.

So relax about invasive species. In the long run the Great Lakes will be toxic beyond belief by our own hands.
esoxaddict
Posted 11/22/2009 3:20 AM (#409454 - in reply to #409426)

jokes... really? - 11/21/2009 1:49 PM

Yes, jokes... REALLY.

See what sort of videos you can dig up on Asian carp/Silver carp. Read a bit about what they have done and can do. It's not difficult to imagine the possible ramifications of this.

It's also not difficult to figure out that there is little any of us can do about this one, if anything at all. We're not talking about washing off your boat trailer to prevent the spread of milfoil, or not using rusties for bait, or preventing the spread of zebra mussels.

So what are we supposed to do, cry? Throw our arms in the air and lament about how the world is coming to an end? I'm with Ranger on this one. If you're all worried about the great lakes, take two hours out of a day of your life, and do some research on what our industries and our cities are putting in there ON PURPOSE. If you want to worry about something, worry about the mercury that's in the fish you are feeding your family, from the coal fired power plants you need to run your flat screen TV. Worry about the particulate matter in the air you breathe from the trucks that bring the goop you eat to McDonalds, or the chemicals and such coming out of your kitchen faucet. Worry about the hormones in your beef, the pesticides on your produce, the chemicals and preservatives in the food you eat every single day of your life... Think about how your wife's birth control pills find their way right back into the water you drink..

If none of that works for you?? Think about the fact that muskies are an invasive species, introduced by US, in most of the places we fish for them.

I don't like what's going on in my backyard. And I don't like the possible outcomes for what may happen down the road in my other backyard down the road. But if I worried about stuff like this, and took it too seriously? I'd have put a rope around my neck by now...

Live2Fish
Posted 11/22/2009 11:55 AM (#409473 - in reply to #409331)

How successful will the bighead and silver carp be in lake michigan? Obviously they have flourished in warm, fertile waters with current, but how will these dopes fare when there out in open water? I love our waters and would hate to see some federal government lab test ruin a great thing. They screwed this up, they should fix it.

I still think they should just put a huge food processor blade in the Chicago Canal and make some Little Lisa Slurry!
MuskyHopeful
Posted 11/22/2009 12:07 PM (#409477 - in reply to #409473)

Live2Fish - 11/22/2009 11:55 AM

I still think they should just put a huge food processor blade in the Chicago Canal and make some Little Lisa Slurry!

You, sir, are my friend.

Carry on.

Kevin
Pointerpride102
Posted 11/22/2009 12:14 PM (#409479 - in reply to #409477)

Good post Willie. You'd fit in at Point. Hope my PM was helpful for you. If you do decide to go there let me know and I can recommend some classes and profs for you.
Junkman
Posted 11/22/2009 2:11 PM (#409498 - in reply to #409331)

I don't mind the jokes. Folks often resort to humor to react to something they are scared of or don't understand. I'm just glad a lot of folks are scared because it is a justified fear. It's scary enough to bring to bear a whole lot of power, political and finacial. It was actually pretty predictable that it would not get dealt with in a serious fashion until it was believable enough to be perhaps too late. So, it is perhaps too late...but maybe not. I'm guessing not! I just hope that if there is a place to show up, a thing to do, a letter to send or a few bucks to donate that we will do those things......just like we are all pulling the drain plugs every time we leave a ramp to help prevent VHS...yea right! Marty Forman
Roughneck1860
Posted 11/22/2009 2:30 PM (#409501 - in reply to #409331)

They are already here..........my son shot one (out of a group of 3) with his bow in River Canard last spring here in Southern Ontario off the Detroit River. He identified it in 7 different pictures, showed me the remains if it and I identified it and then we took pictures of it and sent them to the Ontario MNR and the Invasive species hot line and got " it sure looks like one but it can't be because they aren't around here so it must be something else..........but we don't know what". Well I'm telling ya at least one made it and if one made it others will or already have.

Good Fishin'
Tim

Edited by Roughneck1860 11/22/2009 2:32 PM
Live2Fish
Posted 11/22/2009 4:28 PM (#409510 - in reply to #409331)

Thanks for the reply Mike. I got my app in and I have talked to Sue Kissinger. She was very nice and informative at my interview, and it seems like Treehaven would be a blast. I'll PM you as questions and stuff pop into my head
Schuler
Posted 11/22/2009 6:05 PM (#409520 - in reply to #409331)

I live 3 miles from the Illinois river where these things are everywhere...I don't think the impact on fishing has been that bad. They would be a pain as a commercial fisherman, but I don't think most of us on here are.
DJS
Posted 11/23/2009 6:40 AM (#409550 - in reply to #409331)

Guest I love the sucker transport analogy. Last I checked suckers are native to MN lakes. LOL
Will Schultz
Posted 11/23/2009 2:12 PM (#409591 - in reply to #409331)

Maybe they will be extremely susceptible to VHS and it will be their downfall. Wouldn’t it be nice if for once a disease imported by dirty ballast water wiped out an invasive?

One can dream can’t he?

Tim - I would love to see a photo of that fish your son shot.
Live2Fish
Posted 11/23/2009 5:24 PM (#409607 - in reply to #409331)

Exhale, Guest
rob.s
Posted 11/23/2009 11:56 PM (#409635 - in reply to #409331)

looks like fun !!! cant wait !!!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yS7zkTnQVaM&feature=relatedhttp://ww...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EJoXw9XZ238&feature=related
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PdcQ56OpxNE
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vwMSy7xK218&feature=related

Edited by rob.s 11/24/2009 12:01 AM
esoxaddict
Posted 11/30/2009 4:16 PM (#410281 - in reply to #409331)

Anyone with a few minutes to spare should check out the videos Rob.s posted above.

Looks like the DNR is going to try Rotenone after all...

http://www.suntimes.com/news/metro/1911913,dnr-asian-carp-kill-1130...

As I understand it, these measures are simply to keep them from moving upstream while they shut down the electronic barrier for maintenance.
dtaijo174
Posted 11/30/2009 4:49 PM (#410291 - in reply to #409331)

Watch the youtube videos... scary stuff.
Fish and Whistle
Posted 12/1/2009 1:46 PM (#410428 - in reply to #409331)

If I heard the radio correctly, today is the day they will use the Rotenone. I'd wish I could be around and see what bellies up.

Edited by Fish and Whistle 12/1/2009 1:48 PM
Jump to page : 1 2 3
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)