Muskie Discussion Forums

Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Language | Blogs Search | Statistics | User Listing
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )
Moderators: Slamr

View previous thread :: View next thread
Jump to page : 1 2 3 4
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]

Muskie Fishing -> Fishing Reports and Destinations -> Pewaukee Lake reports

Message Subject: Pewaukee Lake reports
Mikes Extreme
Posted 5/4/2009 10:41 PM (#376093)
Subject: Pewaukee Lake reports

Pewaukee Lake water temps started out in the 49 to 50 degree range on the western half of the lake and 51 to 52 degrees on the eastern half for the Southern Opener. The muskies were very active for most but small low thirty's fish was the average fish caught. A few upper thirty's fish were caught by a handful of people. I didn't hear of any fish that broke the 40 inch mark this whole weekend.

Joel "Tuff Daddy" aka Tuffy1 fished with me Saturday and Sunday morning in the Milwaukee Chapter Muskies Inc Outing against the Quad County Chapter Muskies Inc. A great time was had by all sixty who fished the annual event from 7am till 5pm Saturday and 7am till noon on Sunday. The Milwaukee Chapter regained the traveling trophy back this year with 38.5, 38.5, 36 and 34-inch muskies and the Quad County Chapter didn't get any legals during those hours.

Lots of fish were caught but most were in the 27 to 33-inch range. Joel and I had our chances to score a "legal" a few times but they got off or missed the bait. We ended up with 5 muskies caught, all in the 31.5 to 32-inch range. Joel and I had lots of action despite the BANANA that was found on my dash Sunday night while I was cleaning out the boat. 5 muskies and over 50 follows with a BANANA is just crazy. I can't wait to get out WITHOUT that YELLOW bad luck, bad Carma, bad vibe, bad luck slippery slimy BANANA.

All in all Pewaukee was just about average as far as the weeds and water temps. Mid 50's is where we will be this week and the weeds are just getting going. Some small cabbage beds were visible in all the usual places but none of them looked very good yet. I believe the East half of the lake has more post spawn fish and the West half still has some spawning actions going on. Look for the next two weeks to be on and off until most of the muskies have ate their way out of their post spawn blues. This is a great time to get out and check out all the rocks and structure that the milfoil hides all year long. I found a small rock pile on the West end I never knew was there. I got it waypointed now.

The West end launch is closed Mon, Tues and Wed due to repairs for a few weeks. The Sports Doc has the most parking besides the two Smokey's launches. Please feel free to add info, pictures, coments or questions in this report. Good luck to everyone. See ya on the water!!!

Edited by Mikes Extreme 5/10/2009 9:00 PM
50"skie
Posted 5/5/2009 7:43 AM (#376129 - in reply to #376093)
Subject: Re: Pewaukee Lake reports

Thanks for all that helpful info Mike!!!!
Sam Ubl
Posted 5/5/2009 10:07 AM (#376152 - in reply to #376093)

Mike, has John mentioned anything about selling Smokey's Bait Shop to be constructed into condos? If that happens, I wonder if the launch will close there on the East end. . .
Esox-Hunter
Posted 5/5/2009 1:42 PM (#376208 - in reply to #376152)

Thanks mike! Fished Sat/Mon and moved 2 little ones both days. They won't eat for me!

S.Killips
Mikes Extreme
Posted 5/5/2009 3:47 PM (#376236 - in reply to #376152)

Sam, thats something I would need an hour to give you all the options and plans I have listened to over the last year or more. The condo thing is not going to happen.
Sam Ubl
Posted 5/7/2009 9:33 AM (#376646 - in reply to #376093)
Subject: RE: Pewaukee Lake reports

I was as happy as could be yesterday evening as thunder rolled its way closer and closer. A pair of Tom turkeys were gobbling up a storm after every crack of thunder on the ridge behind Taylors Bay and a Sheaphead was struggling for life with half it's side ripped off. . . You wouldn't have believed it, we were drifting the bay when the thing came up to the surface 15 yards ahead of us - we both noticed it. I said, "There's a hungry musky nearbye and he's not full yet." Needless to say, we didn't move that fish, but man was it cool.

To top it all off, as that front moved East along the North shore, we found an area where some active fish were getting their feedbag on. With the dying bluegills, seemingly dissoriented from getting hit by ski's, my wife and I immitated their eratic behavior and lit up a solid pair of ski's.

I'm proud of my wife, she did really well, and she did it on her brand new rod! First fish on a new rod the first time using it and first time out this season. . . Let me tell you what, she's got a bright future ahead of her this season. . . You should have seen the "wobble knee"!!

She forgot the digital, so we picked up a disposable on the way (she didn't think we'd need it). Pictures to come once developed.

One last thing, I got slammed by a pig of a LM bass on a reef hawg.

Edited by Sam Ubl 5/7/2009 11:40 AM
Sam Ubl
Posted 5/7/2009 9:48 PM (#376780 - in reply to #376093)

Lousy out there tonight. Moved one cookie-cutter and left early for a buffalo burger at the Sports Dock. . .
zak olson
Posted 5/7/2009 10:27 PM (#376792 - in reply to #376780)

Things beginning to pick up a bit out there after a slow couple days, got out today with my girlfriend about 5 casts in she missed one, two casts later I hear "omg zo!" look over and theres a 35.5 her 3rd musky ever 2nd casting in 3 outings.

First two pics is a 36.5" her first casting ever on opener and my 32". Last pics is the 35.5" from today and my brother getting a nice shot off the pier.

Zoom - | Zoom 100% | Zoom + | Expand / Contract | Open New window
Click to expand / contract the width of this image
(2009Fishing016.jpg)

(2009Fishing021.jpg)

(IMG_0281.jpg)

(IMG_1225.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments 2009Fishing016.jpg (137KB - 272 downloads)
Attachments 2009Fishing021.jpg (136KB - 223 downloads)
Attachments IMG_0281.jpg (188KB - 266 downloads)
Attachments IMG_1225.jpg (128KB - 1796 downloads)
zak olson
Posted 5/7/2009 10:30 PM (#376794 - in reply to #376792)

cant figure out how to post pictures..
fish4musky1
Posted 5/8/2009 1:43 AM (#376815 - in reply to #376093)

very awesome, maybe my gf will be lucky enough to catch a muskie when we go to pewaukee in june.
what kind of rod/reel is good for women who are inexperienced casters and fisherman ??? any tips for fishing with girlfirends who may not be as interested in fishing as i am haha??
bassinbob84
Posted 5/8/2009 6:53 AM (#376825 - in reply to #376093)

See if you can find an abu anti backlash. That's what I got for my gf. It saves me from picking out so many birds nests. I don't think they are made anymore though. I would sell you mine but it would just mean more headaches for me. As for what to do if she doesn't like fishing as much bring along an ultra light. I give my gf an ultralight with a mister twister on a jig head when she gets bored. That way she can catch little sunnies and perch to pass the time. She has caught her only 2 skis on that ul a 24" last fall and a 16" this spring while crappie fishing.
tuffy1
Posted 5/8/2009 6:59 AM (#376826 - in reply to #376825)

Way to go Zak, keep sticking those fish. I wonder which bait she got it on??

(I'm the guy that was fishing with Koepp on Saturday and Sunday).

As for rods for the girlfriends, just let them use what you use. Show them how to use it, and they'll figure it out. My wife has been throwing a baitcaster since she was a girl. She'll chuck baits with the best of them.
Slamr
Posted 5/8/2009 9:06 AM (#376846 - in reply to #376794)

zak olson - 5/7/2009 10:30 PM

cant figure out how to post pictures..

You need to be a registered member and logged in at the time.
Sam Ubl
Posted 5/8/2009 10:14 AM (#376852 - in reply to #376093)

Zak, you Dave Olson's son? I guess it's more of a "I just realized" than a question. . . Looked like his rig. I've talked to you a couple of times on the water just passing by. Congrats to you and yours!! I almost like watching my wife catch musky more than myself.

BTW, your bro's camera has one hell of a zoom!!

Edited by Sam Ubl 5/8/2009 10:16 AM
zak olson
Posted 5/8/2009 12:08 PM (#376883 - in reply to #376852)

hey Joel I remember you fishing with Mike, I've seen you on the forums before and recognized you. I think you know what bait those fish came on...that thing has been hammered, I need a couple more of them lol.

My dads a professional photographer, it's his camera and yes the zoom on that thing is incredible. My brother got about 10 different shots are REALLY cool.

As far as what kind of rod/reel for the g/f, I gave her all of our rods to try, she picked one and I guess that was that. Definitely go with lighter lures and rods.

Heading out tonight around 330ish with my gf again, see you guys out there.
Sam Ubl
Posted 5/8/2009 1:28 PM (#376903 - in reply to #376093)

I'm dying to get out this eve. . . Guess we're going to grill instead - maybe. I'll work a little magic when I get home from work in an hour (started early boys, not that lucky). Zak, I see you out all the time, I'll say hello.
zak olson
Posted 5/8/2009 2:03 PM (#376913 - in reply to #376903)

what kind of boat you fishing in?
Sam Ubl
Posted 5/8/2009 2:10 PM (#376916 - in reply to #376093)

17.5 Alumacraft TS / 75 Merc

Beaver
Posted 5/8/2009 8:11 PM (#376953 - in reply to #376916)

Was out there today breaking in my new motor and slinging some lures. Didn't see any fish boated, but there were plenty of boats out there for a Friday. Everyone seemed to be fishing withing a half mile of Smokies, concentrating on shallow rocks. After an hour of twitching Grandmas, I ventured deeper and pulled a Talonz small panfish lure and tried the deeper rocks with no success. My back only lasted about 90 minutes, so I drove around breaking in the motor. When I felt better I went to the shallow docks and boated 3 smallies, 2-18", 1-20" and a half dozen largemouth about 2 pounds a piece. Water temps were from 60-62 degrees, but the fish that I caught definitely were colder than 60 degrees. When fishing the docks, I contacted 3 small skis that were cruising in less than 5 feet of water. I think that some warm nights and sunny days will kick all of the fish in the lake in the butt. Eventually they have to go on a feeding binge, and I hope that I'm there when it happens.
Beav
Sam Ubl
Posted 5/8/2009 8:58 PM (#376959 - in reply to #376093)

One 37 on a Suick tonight by my buddy Ryan. . . ON THE FIGURE EIGHT - 3rd Turn!! Not huge but pretty cool!
zak olson
Posted 5/9/2009 8:54 AM (#377004 - in reply to #376959)

I saw you catch that thing, I was guessing about 36 so I wasn't off to much, nice fish though. My brother and I were out for 4 hours, he lost 2 real nice fish, 1 heartbreaker and seen 4 others
Beaver
Posted 5/9/2009 11:06 AM (#377018 - in reply to #377004)

ZakO, nothing against Lambo, but thank-you for posting a picture that deserves to be on the cover. I think if more girlfriends/wives etc. took the time to share our love of the outdoors, fewer of us would get grief about spending so much time fishing, hunting...whatever. It's too late for me, so all of you young bucks take note. Instead of crusing the bars for chicks, start hanging out at baitshops and outdoor shows, or invite your significant other to join you. If it's like pulling teeth, it might be time for some catch and release
Beav
jasonvkop
Posted 5/9/2009 12:34 PM (#377024 - in reply to #377018)

Beaver - 5/9/2009 12:06 PM
If it's like pulling teeth, it might be time for some catch and release
Beav

Hahahaha thats great.
Sam Ubl
Posted 5/9/2009 10:32 PM (#377090 - in reply to #376093)

My wife this chilly evening with her prize. Way to go hun!

(Christies-May-2009-Musky.jpg)

(Christie Pewaukee Ski.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments Christies-May-2009-Musky.jpg (85KB - 238 downloads)
Attachments Christie Pewaukee Ski.jpg (170KB - 201 downloads)
Mikes Extreme
Posted 5/10/2009 8:56 PM (#377221 - in reply to #377090)

Great pics Z. Did Shawn take the pics from the pier? Very cool shots.

I fished the Pewaukee Classic with my kids on Saturday. Not a very good morning to start the day as far as weather but the fishing was outstanding from 7am till 9am. After that the rain was gone and it started to get nice out.

Glide baits and minnow baits were the ticket. I scored 4 muskies in that first two hours and another one at 2pm. The bass and pike are also starting to get very active. Six bass and a pike got a free ride to my boat after crushing my offering.

70 entrants fished the 25th Annual Pewaukee Classic and 7 fish were caught that measured over 30-inches. Very low numbers due to the twenty degree temp drop overnight and a cold front. The biggest fish was a 36.5-inch fish that came during that two hour window(2nd place). Another one that size also was caught later in the day(3rd place). The tie breaker went to the first fish caught so the second 36.5 got 3rd place. I ended up with 5 muskies - 4 over 30-inches. Good enough to lock up 1st place. Great day on the water with my kids.

My daughter caught a 39.5 last year to take 2nd place so she knows the ups and down in tournaments. She never had a follow even though she used her hot lure most of the day. My boy had his chances but didn't get one in the boat Saturday.

Great pics Z-man and Sam.

Sam, did she get it off that big rock just west of where you took that picture? I had multiple fish follow from that rock this year already. Great spring spot.
zak olson
Posted 5/11/2009 7:13 AM (#377279 - in reply to #377221)

yeah mike shawn took those, he was suppose to tag alone but we didn't want to wait 15 minutes for him lol. He got pictures starting from me netting it all the way till shes releasing him, awesome pictures. Congrats on first place, I tried in the morning with no luck, had prom in the afternoon so I was busy.
50"skie
Posted 5/11/2009 8:01 AM (#377290 - in reply to #376093)

Was it just me, or was it a ruff day out there on Sunday. I only had 3 lazy follows.

At least my mom let me go for a little bit, we had mothers day when I got back. haha
Sam Ubl
Posted 5/11/2009 8:25 AM (#377297 - in reply to #376093)

Mike-

That's actually the third off that rock this spring. A 39, her 37.5, and a 37 all on different baits. Suick, Reef Hawg and Bucktail.

Way to go on the Classic! Man it was a chilly one that day.
50"skie
Posted 5/11/2009 11:38 AM (#377348 - in reply to #376093)

Sam, I looked at your picture closer. I raised 2 of my 3 skis on that same spot Sunday. Mike is right, that is a great spring spot. They were both in the mid to high 30s.
Sam Ubl
Posted 5/12/2009 9:51 PM (#377751 - in reply to #376093)

Third cast my buddy nails a 40". I caught 4 bass in the next couple hours and Ryan raises another 40-ish fish. . . a dozen revolutions of the eight before dissapearing. I've had a rough two trips.
Jump to page : 1 2 3 4
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)