Muskie Discussion Forums

Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Language | Blogs Search | Statistics | User Listing
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

[Frozen]
Moderators: Slamr

View previous thread :: View next thread
Jump to page : 1 2
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]

Muskie Fishing -> Muskie Boats and Motors -> 620 ranger vs. Tuffy 2060

Frozen New post
Message Subject: 620 ranger vs. Tuffy 2060
musky boys
Posted 12/28/2008 8:43 PM (#351934)
Subject: 620 ranger vs. Tuffy 2060

Lets here which one you would pick and why. Thanks in advanced
esoxfly
Posted 12/28/2008 10:48 PM (#351944 - in reply to #351934)
Subject: Re: 620 ranger vs. Tuffy 2060

I'm a Ranger owner, so it gets my vote. But I know a couple of Tuffy owners, and I've not heard anything bad about them. I would think about dealer support though...like here in MI, there aren't any Tuffy dealers for parts or whatever. May not be a big deal, but something to consider.
Pedro
Posted 12/28/2008 11:54 PM (#351950 - in reply to #351934)

I own a Ranger and love it. Thought about Tuffy before and have heard great things about them, but here in MN there are no dealers and that was a major player in my choice.
Tuffy Boats
Posted 12/29/2008 2:25 AM (#351964 - in reply to #351934)

There are two active Tuffy dealers in MN. Johnson's On the Water in Park Rapids is new this Fall, has boats ordered, and will be attending shows in NW MN. Tuffy has a dealer in SW WI that covers the LaCrosse and mid river area. Go Fasters would be delighted to sell an order out Tuffy out in western MN. Tuffy is working on a Minneapolis/St Paul dealer, but in this very tough marine economy many dealers across the midwest are struggling, so it may be next summer before that's a reality.
Shep
Posted 12/29/2008 8:22 AM (#351972 - in reply to #351964)

I can think of more than about 12,000 reasons to buy the 2060 over the 620. While the Ranger has a wider beam, it's basically wasted with those compartments on the sides. I think the Tuffy rides better, and handles better in big water, and it's faster, too. Tiller, single and dual console, and full windshield models are available in the same hull. The Esox Deep-V's come with a removeable rear casting deck that gives even mopre storage. And the front compartments won't fill up with water, which is a bonus. Center rod locker will take at least an 8 1/2 foot rod.
Rangerboy
Posted 12/29/2008 8:30 AM (#351974 - in reply to #351934)
Subject: RE: 620 ranger vs. Tuffy 2060

I can think of 20,001 reasons to buy the 620. The number one reason: It's a RANGER!
bturg
Posted 12/29/2008 9:16 AM (#351984 - in reply to #351934)

Edited by bturg 12/30/2008 8:14 PM
Shep
Posted 12/29/2008 12:33 PM (#352012 - in reply to #351984)

Equipped the same? Yes, the Tuffy will be faster. You think Ranger's are the fastest boats out there?

Certainly not in the same price class. Look, I'm not saying Ranger is not a good, or even a great boat. But I won't afford one. Not that I can't. There is not one thing a Ranger will do that my Tuffy won't do just as well, or better. I think the Tuffy is a better value. And there is nothing wrong with the fit and finish on a Tuffy.

2008 2060 250 ProXS, Prokicker, 80 Terrova AP/US, LCX 27 $43K last year.

2008 620 Ranger equipped the same? $57K plus. That's a lot of fit and finish, eh?
run n gun
Posted 12/29/2008 2:41 PM (#352031 - in reply to #352012)

Good God!

Tuffy's are great boats and the 2060's are very nice but dont include them in the same breathe as a 620.
Its not the Tuffy's fault Shep but you went there first.
Yep there more expensive. Tell you what, at the sport shows get in the Tuffy of your choice open the hatches, doors, livewells, etc. Then do the same to the 620 or any Ranger for that matter. Then make your own decision. Oh did I mention the Ranger trail trailor or the resale value of the Ranger.

Joe

bn
Posted 12/29/2008 3:28 PM (#352037 - in reply to #351934)

they are both good boats than can do pretty much the same things..personally I like all the storage in the 620s if I was going to buy one and don't for one second think of that as "wasted space"...that is plano box storage to me....
the tuffy vs ranger argument to me, is more like a toyata vs lexus argument....sure the lexus is just a nicer toyota...sort of like ranger vs tuffy..imo. and that is just it, my opinion, they both are nice, but the Rangers are just flat out nicer, i've been in a number of tuffys and in plenty of Rangers to see that there is a difference....Tuffys are a good value that is for sure...Rangers are going to be more expensive purchased new...I don't know if a 2060, would really be faster than a 620 with the same motor...last I checked you didn't get a prize for having the fastest musky boat..
have fun boat shopping....both are good boats, but i know where i'd stick my money ....to each their own right...
lambeau
Posted 12/29/2008 4:27 PM (#352046 - in reply to #352037)

they're...different.
which is good for everyone since it means you get to pick the one you like. both boats have reputations for handling big water conditions well.

when it comes to speed, there are different kinds: speed when it's calm and speed when it's rough.
the Tuffy 2060's reputation on the Walleye tournament trails is as one of the fastest boats when conditions are bad. in a tournament that can be particularly important: 10 extra minutes fishing on either end of a long run over big water = 20 minutes a day = 1 hour of extra fishing during a 3-day event, and that can definitely matter. so can getting there with your kidneys intact, and the 2060 also benefits from a narrower beam which helps with a smooth ride.

do you pay more for the Ranger name? yes.
are Tuffy's a great boat at a good price? yes.
i've ridden and fished from both and they're each amazingly cool boats. my advice is to test fish both and then decide which one best fits your needs - the internet and the showroom floor are just good places to start, actually using one is the best info you can get.
mseybert
Posted 12/29/2008 5:44 PM (#352054 - in reply to #351934)

I have owned Ranger and Triton. I have fished out of many other brands. I have not fished from a Tuffy though so I can't speak for Tuffys.

I can say that Ranger is the best I have fished from. The fit, finish AND rigging, in my opinion, is second to none. We have all determined that they cost more, but to some anglers it is worth it. It is no ones right to bash someone for owning a Ranger (or Tuffy or Tracker or Triton or Crestliner etc).

It has already been said. Fish from them and make your own decision. Then offer your opinion to others when asked, don't force your opinion on them. I get tired of people judging others because of the boat they have (or don't have).
mike lewis
Posted 12/29/2008 7:43 PM (#352075 - in reply to #351934)

As far a resale on both boats, i have noticed the tuffys lose about the same percentage as the rangers, as far as fit and finish comparing rangers and tuffys is like comparing a cadillac and a mercedes both are great cars but boy do you pay extra for the mercedes, ranger makes a great boat,and so does tuffy,remember ranger is a bass boat company that make a great walleye boat, tuffy has been a leader in multi fish and musky boats for many years. both are great boats my tuffy is not any better than a ranger it just made more dollars and cents, to me.
bturg
Posted 12/29/2008 11:01 PM (#352113 - in reply to #351934)

Edited by bturg 12/30/2008 8:15 PM
TJ DeVoe
Posted 12/29/2008 11:35 PM (#352118 - in reply to #352113)

Ranger came into the Deep V boat game after Tuffy and others were already in it. Ranger is originally a bass boat company that expanded. Whoever said that is definitely right.

Some of the biggest names in the fishing industry have been in a Tuffy over the years including the likes of Al and Ron Linder, Dan Sura, Tony Portincaso, Dave Csanda, and others. Tuffy was one of the driving forces behind walleye tournament fishing when they were part of the MWC way back in the early 80's and has a rich 30 year plus history. Tuffy still is the only boat builder to focus on the Muskie market, and was first with a Muskie size livewell. No, they are not a national company, and never will be. Those are also reasons I run a Tuffy. Built in Wisconsin where I live. I also felt that as a Tuff Team member I had a better chance moving up to the factory team some day with a smaller company. Just my take on it.

Both are great companies, it really is about personal preference. Good luck in your choice.
sworrall
Posted 12/29/2008 11:36 PM (#352119 - in reply to #352031)

run n gun - 12/29/2008 2:41 PM

Good God!

Tuffy's are great boats and the 2060's are very nice but dont include them in the same breathe as a 620.
Its not the Tuffy's fault Shep but you went there first.
Yep there more expensive. Tell you what, at the sport shows get in the Tuffy of your choice open the hatches, doors, livewells, etc. Then do the same to the 620 or any Ranger for that matter. Then make your own decision. Oh did I mention the Ranger trail trailor or the resale value of the Ranger.

Joe

Resale value:
Tuffy holds resale value as well as any other fiberglass rig. Tuffy holds a very good resale value throughout the model line. Fact.

Ranger builds a great boat. So does Tuffy. The TuffTrail (By Vanguard/Trailmaster) has custom matching fiberglass fenders, brakes, LED lighting, C frame welded custom fit construction, aluminum rims, retracting boat buckles, tongue jack, and stands tall next to any other trailer.

Yes, equal horsepower, the Tuffy will be faster, less wetted surface means a faster boat. Please do open the lockers at the show in any Tuffy, sealed watertight fiberglass storage, individual compartments glassed to the deck.

Form fitted center 12 rod locker in a 2060 will take a 9' rod. Custom built digital electrical system, every wire labeled every 6" through the rig. Dedicated fitted drop in Esox Deep V rear deck creates a huge rear deck and lots of extra storage...it's a 4 sided, form fitting compartment fitted with opposing gull wing lids.

Deck out a 2060, and you will be in the mid 40K range.

Drive both in big water and small, if you can, fish both, and make an informed decision.

sworrall
Posted 12/29/2008 11:58 PM (#352124 - in reply to #351934)

Hey, Bob,

Ranger was originally a 'Bass Boat' company, officially entering the multi specie market about a decade after Tuffy was established if my memory serves me. I remember very clearly standing next to Mr. Wood at many shows, and talking boats with him. We still say hello whenever he is featured as a guest at an FLW Champonship, or the like, and talk a bit about the 'old days'.

The Ranger 1600 series was the first tiller they made specifically for the North country, and it featured an interior much like Tuffy's Esox of the day. I started with Tuffy in 1976, I believe, and they had been building a muskie/muti specie boat for a year or more already. A previous builder had sold a couple hundred Tuffy rigs in a deep green color with a little silver triangle Tuffy logo for at least 3 years prior to Glasway buying the tooling and rights to the brand.

It was a couple years after the 1600 introduction the first Fisherman series boat was introduced by Ranger, and was targeted at this market, not the V Hull big water market. The first big water boat they built was the 690 if memory serves.

One of the innovators in big water inland lake fishing hulls at that time was Yar Craft. Jack Dahlman popped a Cruiser's Inc runabout hull and put a Tuffy interior in it, introducing a big water deep V hull that's still in use by boat builders today. Skeeter entered the market in 1989 with a 17' model that was a dead pop of the Yar Craft Hull and innovated from there ( I was working for them at that time), just behind Champion's first Fish Hunter entry.

TJ DeVoe
Posted 12/30/2008 12:52 AM (#352128 - in reply to #351934)

bturg - 12/29/2008 11:47 PM

TJ please hand me whatever you are smokin, Whoever said Ranger is a Bass Boat Company is definatly right.........that is about as accurate a statement as saying Merc is a two stroke company because that is what they made first. I am all for Brand loyalty and supporting those who support you but at least be accurate in your statements and cut the my boat is the best cause I have one stuff.

Did I mention how great my 620 is.....................

Not exactly sure where in my post I said my boat is the best because I didn't say that. I told you why I have a Tuffy. To me, working with a smaller company and a boat that works for me is why I chose Tuffy. As was stated before, Tuffy was and is one of the only boat manufactures building boats directly for the musky market, hence another reason I went that route. It's all about personal preference. Both are great rigs.

Another major reason I went with Tuffy is the fact I wanted something different. The cost of the boat might of had a little to do with it too, another plus for the Tuffy.

As for Mercury being a two-stroke company; considering they have the most popular two stroke outboard ever built I'd say they've done alright with the Optimax. Mercury at this time still has the fastest fourstroke on the water. Yup, looks to me Mercury still owns the market with not only the best two stroke, but fourstroke.
bn
Posted 12/30/2008 8:14 AM (#352141 - in reply to #351934)

Lambeau, I get your point with the tournament thing over 3 days but have you done the math on the number of miles one would need to run over 3 days to get an extra hour of fishing time ? I did...at 5mph difference in top speed you have to run hundreds of miles ....600+....
How many miles does a typical walleye or musky guy run in a tournament?
lambeau
Posted 12/30/2008 8:47 AM (#352146 - in reply to #352141)

for most "typical" guys, probably not that much.

but the serious guys fishing big money events on the Great Lakes, etc. could be making significantly long runs to spots where they've located concentrations of bigger fish. inshore fishermen down south will sometimes make 2-hour runs one-way during redfish tournaments.

even if it's not an hour over 3 days, as little as 30 minutes extra fishing time can matter when money is on the line...staying out just a bit longer before the run back for weigh-in...or even just getting there first by one minute in order to stake out the spot.
jonnysled
Posted 12/30/2008 9:20 AM (#352151 - in reply to #351934)

one comment on the "big company response" ... i bought my ranger in 2003 and had a setup issue that i had difficulty working out with my dealer. i called the folks in flippin, arkansas and within a few minutes i was on the phone with the v.p. technical who was ridiculously helpful ... it was a situation where i was willing to drive to flippin, they knew i was seriouos and took over the situation making sure i was pleased with the choice of buying my ranger. those folks in arkansas may be a big company, but they were also wanting to make sure that i (the customer) was leaving them happy before letting me off the phone.

all that said, i now drive a tuffy ... an esox magnum for different reasons than stated above but my time as a ranger owner were pleasant ones.

boats i've owned include polarcraft, champion, boston whaler, ranger and now tuffy ... in that group of five i'd rank ranger and tuffy in 3rd or 4th place in fit and finish and no closer than 2nd in resale. i had people fighting over my whaler when i put it up for sale.

Edited by jonnysled 12/30/2008 9:24 AM
sworrall
Posted 12/30/2008 9:44 AM (#352155 - in reply to #351934)

Whaler builds some cool stuff.

To answer the question about walleye tournaments, in many events over the last few years quite a few of the Pros were traveling as far as 50 miles or more one way. A couple boat builders increased the HP rating on their pro style walleye boats to 300 for what's perceived as a feature/benefit.

bn
Posted 12/30/2008 10:18 AM (#352164 - in reply to #351934)

trust me, I'm a firm believer in the theory that "seconds count" when chasing fish but I'm not about to buy a boat just because it can go 5 mph faster than what I have...if that were the case I'd have one of those sleek 300 hp bass boats that can hit 75...
when in comes right down to it, the fish don't care whether you have a $1,000 boat or a 70,000 fancy boat...
bn
Posted 12/30/2008 10:30 AM (#352168 - in reply to #351934)

l would also agree with Sled that the customer service experiences I've had with Ranger are a great reason to buy one...I bought a used 690 and purchased some add ons for it, front casting deck extension, new seats etc...they messed up the casting deck the first time but the service and time they took to make it right were amazing. It's great to call a company these days and get right to a person that knows what you want/need and does their part to get it done.
Had a similiar experience with some trailer lights from them..they mixed up sending the right ones, and didn't want or need me to send them back and overnighted the correct ones at their expense...Ranger goes out of their way, at least when I have dealt w/ them to make their consumers happy...and I bought a used one...so I'm not some big wig plunking down 60k at the nearest Ranger dealer...
nwild
Posted 12/30/2008 10:32 AM (#352169 - in reply to #352155)

I guess I shouldn't be surprised that a question of this sort would bring out a whole bunch of "mine is the best" attitude. Kind of the nature of the discussion.

I run a very similar boat, a Tuffy 1890, and here was my decision making process. I fished out of both Tuffys and Rangers, liked the fishability of them both but they were both lacking in some of the features I wanted. Tuffy retooled their interior layout and bingo...there was the boat I wanted almost to a T.

The plusses of the Tuffy is no wasted space. Every inch of the interior layout was thought with fishermen in mind. I have tons of storage, especially with the Esox model rear deck, a HUGE rod locker, and literally yards of fishing surface. A musky sized livewell in place if I ever need it cinched the deal. These are things that set my Tuffy apart from the comparable Ranger.

Buy what you find fits your needs the most. I've never owned a Ranger, but just from the loyalty on this thread from Ranger owners I assume you would get a quality product. I own a Tuffy, and I personally know that if you buy a Tuffy you will be thrilled with your purchase.

Edited by nwild 12/30/2008 10:52 AM
esoxfly
Posted 12/30/2008 1:09 PM (#352192 - in reply to #352151)

jonnysled - 12/30/2008 10:20 AM
one comment on the "big company response" ... i bought my ranger in 2003 and had a setup issue that i had difficulty working out with my dealer..

Just curious Jon, what was that issue?

And I'm with bn, I didn't drop $50k or even $30k on my Ranger from Sled, but danged if it ain't a dream come true, and just what little conversation I've had with Ranger concerning getting some cosmetic fit and finish parts, they've been awesome. They certainly don't carry themselves as a large company. Someday, perish the thought, if the time comes when it's time for a new boat...it'll be a Ranger, and their customer service is half the reason.
jonnysled
Posted 12/30/2008 1:36 PM (#352196 - in reply to #351934)

i struggled with an electrical gremlin the first season i owned the boat that essentially drained the cranking battery down to nothing between uses (very short time) and the dealer although they tried just couldn't get to the bottom of it ... they'd check batteries, give me new ones and look at me funny like i was doing something wrong.

it wound up being a short and a faulty main breaker switch and ranger helped me to solve the problem ... it was frustrating for the dealer and for me trying to work through something that had me constantly bringing it back and expecting my dealer to help me through it to find the cause ... the dealer threw their hands up thinking it was how i was using the boat so i went straight to ranger and their people took me through it from front to finish never overlooking the smallest detail and set my mind at ease by helping me to find the solution. once fixed it was a done deal basically a bad part and a mistake in factory installation ... problem solved.

it was also the dealer who mounted the original onboard charger in the sump for it to fry ... that's when i gutted the whole system and put in the 4-banker and batteries under the console and upgraded the whole system with the pro-mariner and the new installation location ... batteries + breakers + chargers + sump location = stupid

when stuff like this happens and you're left without confidence it can drive you nuts! you buy new nice boats so that stuff doesn't go wrong ... in this case i think the dealer wanted to help me but essentially gave up as the problem and i got frustrating ... going straight to ranger and finding the source and a solution gave me the confidence and it was a done deal from there.

lesson i learned is to look closely at where, how and why crap is mounted and tear it out and do it over again if it looks like it won't hold up to how you'll use it. look at any new boat purchase closely for all this stuff ... it shocks me that some dealers rig the way they do ...
jonnysled
Posted 12/30/2008 1:47 PM (#352201 - in reply to #351934)

so .. now i own a 1995 tuffy esox magnum and it's in crazy good condition (urghhh ... ummm it does have a black motor though) and i want to upgrade seats, steering and had a few things that i wanted help for rigging etc... on. i spent some time with a guy associated with Tuffy and voila ... solutions, ideas and looking forward to having it all put together for next season.

it brings it back to the best advice you've already been given which is to look very closely at what you want out of a boat ... go drive a few of what you are considering and the answer will come to you. you're considering two very nice rigs for sure!
esoxfly
Posted 12/30/2008 5:15 PM (#352213 - in reply to #351934)

Oh yeah, I 'member you telling me about that battery issue Jon. Didn't know they mounted the charger in the sump! Doh!

Sorry about the black motor. Me and the blue motor are getting along just fine!
reef hawg
Posted 12/30/2008 5:16 PM (#352214 - in reply to #351934)

I am sure the original poster doesn't care which boat builder got into the deep V game first. Means nothing at all. Heck, GMC has been making full sized pickups for almost 100 years, Toyota on the other hand, about 28 months. I recently chose Tundra based on features I wanted that I felt were superior to those of the other similarily sized pickups. It pulls my Ranger around nicely, a boat which , also subsequently had more quality features that I desired than similarily sized boats when I bought it used. Make your own choice, and take your time in doing so. Worst thing you can do is put the blinders on and be brand loyal to a fault. Things I buy, from clothing on up, are painstakingly shopped for, with desired features from the different 'brands' compared, then price. As mentioned above, it is easier if you know what types of features you want before going in, if possible.

Jump to page : 1 2
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]
Frozen New post
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)