Muskie Discussion Forums

Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Language | Blogs Search | Statistics | User Listing
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )
Moderators: Slamr

View previous thread :: View next thread
Jump to page : 1 2
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]

Muskie Fishing -> Lures,Tackle, and Equipment -> Good Customer Service Experiences

Message Subject: Good Customer Service Experiences
lambeau
Posted 12/21/2008 2:52 PM (#350739)
Subject: Good Customer Service Experiences

i'm having a problem with the display on my HP Pavilion laptop, and just got done doing an online chat with customer support. they did some diagnosing, determined it was a hardware problem that is under warranty; they're sending me a box and pre-paid shipping label to send it in for repair/replacment. i'm very happy.
it's interesting to me, that even though i'm having a problem with the product, i'm left thinking good things about Hewlett Packard and i'm sure my next computer will be an HP as well.

customer service turns a bad situation into a good one, it's as simple as that.

i know people have had similar experiences with muskie gear: Okuma and Shimano come immediately to my mind from my own experiences as masters of how to provide good service and turn that into goodwill with customers. i wish every company would figure out how to do it right too, it might mean more long-term sales for them!

it's not worth talking about the negative times...

...who have you had your own GOOD customer service experiences with on muskie gear?
Pointerpride102
Posted 12/21/2008 3:06 PM (#350742 - in reply to #350739)
Subject: Re: Customer Service Experiences

Just wait until HP says they will have it done in a few short days and it doesnt return back for another nearly 2 weeks.

I had a similar issue with Dell. Sent in my computer, told me to take out the hard drive and do a bunch of other stuff. So I did all that. 2 weeks later they finally get it back to me, after they said it would only take 3-4 days. And when I get it back they left a note saying the couldnt do anything with it since I removed my hard drive. I did the same sort of online chat thing you did and she told me multiple times to remove my hard drive. I questioned her about it each time and she insisted I remove the hard drive.

Strange thing is, after Dell did nothing to the laptop, it came back working fine. So I could have been very upset, but lucky for Dell the problem fixed itself. I believe it was just a loose wire that jarred back into place through travel. I probably didnt reconnect it correctly after I replaced the fan in my laptop on my own. Oh well.
ghoti
Posted 12/21/2008 3:35 PM (#350747 - in reply to #350739)
Subject: Re: Good Customer Service Experiences

I also had a good experience with HP a few years ago. My monitor picture lost about 3" on each side. The only downside was waiting on hold for over an hour before I could talk to a tech. After talking me through a few attempts at a fix, he decided the monitor was bad. They sent me a new monitor within a week. All I had to do was box up the old monitor in the box the new one came in and call UPS for pickup. Couldn't have been easier.
lambeau
Posted 12/21/2008 3:37 PM (#350748 - in reply to #350747)

what about with fishing-specific stuff?
VMS
Posted 12/21/2008 3:47 PM (#350749 - in reply to #350739)

Earlier this year I had a great experience with Ocean Waves Sunglasses.. I had tighted the bows on the sunglasses, and when I went to put them on, the frame broke right between the lenses. I have owned the sunglasses for about 3 years, and sent them a letter along with the sunglasses. Less than 2 weeks later, my sunglasses were back in a new frame, and it only cost me shipping.

I also had an older fenwick HMX rod that the reel seat came loose. They had me send it to them, and they shipped out a new rod within 3 days. I had chatted with customer service for quite some time about what they would do (I really wanted the rod back fixed) but they sent me a brand new rod.

Steve
mskyhntr
Posted 12/21/2008 3:49 PM (#350750 - in reply to #350739)
Subject: RE: Good Customer Service Experiences

I would say I have had excellent customer service from Cabelas! I had a us2 sonar issue with my terrova after 3 weeks of use....it just quit working, so after I confirmed it was the us2 and not the lowrance or us2 cable I called Cabelas. They had me a brand new 36v terrova on my door step in 2 days no questions asked! I thought for sure they were going to tell me to take it to a Minn Kota service center but they didn't. Awesome

Next issue I had with Cabelas was I had a gortex guidewear jacket that the seam started to come apart, again no questions asked sent me a brand new jacket and also sent me the Gortex cleaning and Maintainence kit for free. This was also at my doorstep in 2 days, they didn't even charge my credit card, and told me to just send the bad one back once I get the Return label. Most company's charge you for the new one then refund once the bad product was recieved...not Cabelas.

I try to buy whatever I can from them in terms of clothing and stuff for the boat. There customer service rocks and they are always very helpful!

I would also say Drifter Tackle has good customer service!
I had some Jakes that leaked or lost lips over the years, I made one simple call to them explained my issues. They sent me brand new Jakes, spare lips, and a couple of Maina bucktails for my trouble. I will continue to use Musky Mania products as well as Drifter, they catch fish and the customer service is also awesome. Mike

Edited by mskyhntr 12/21/2008 3:54 PM
MuskieMike
Posted 12/21/2008 4:18 PM (#350753 - in reply to #350739)

I've had great customer service from Keith @ Pro Edge custom Rods!. He replaced some guides for me, respelled the name on my rod after I gave it to him incorrectly, and even lengthened the rod handle, all I had to do was pay the shipping costs back to him! That rod is a brute, and definitely takes a beating every time I take it in the boat! Really happy with his outstanding service!
Tackle Industries
Posted 12/21/2008 4:19 PM (#350754 - in reply to #350739)

OK, first I have to ask, was it your mother board on the HP? I just had mine go out (dv9000 series) and HP took it back and got it back to me in about 10 days. Mind you, I run three websites for my tackle company! I have soooo many backups now it is not even funny...

Alright, tackle service. I bought a Liflike lure last year at the MN show and it had a hole in it. emailed and I had one sitting in my hands about a week later no questions asked!

Cabelas is another fine retailer who I have NEVER had a problem with! A+++ customer service. Had to send back two boat covers adn they sent me the new ones first and then I sent the old ones back. Trust is a rare thing like that...

Joe Bucher: While I did not have one of the lures, I know they had a problem last year with one of their crankbaits. They swooped in and took care of the problems with customers and retailers. That is the kind of company I want to buy from!

Good customer service is not hard. What is hard is to get those customers (and their friends) back that had problems with your lures and you did nothing for them! Most of them you will never get back after you drop the ball on that initial opportunity to make it right with them. I ahve a few of those too but thsi is about good customer service
JMO
James
gtp888
Posted 12/21/2008 4:34 PM (#350757 - in reply to #350739)

I'll second the Cabela's kudos.  FANTASTIC customer service every time.  That's been my experience.

Pedro
Posted 12/21/2008 4:44 PM (#350759 - in reply to #350739)

Got rear ended this summer and had the prop and lower unit damaged. I needed the boat in a week and Dan's Southside Marine in Bloomington was great.
Cabela's as mentioned above has always been fantastic as well.
Raider150
Posted 12/21/2008 5:03 PM (#350761 - in reply to #350748)

I have had good luck with mania tackle and pro mariner chargers. I had a squirrely burt split at the seams . Sent it in received a new one plus another. The charger was out of warranty but I got the new one at half price.
Jason Bomber
Posted 12/21/2008 6:11 PM (#350767 - in reply to #350739)

I got 2 8'6" st croix premiers early fall, when trying to remove a reel from 1 of them to clean it I realized the seat was stuck. I ended up needing a pliers to loosen it and in the process separated the 2 pieces. Afterwards the reel would shift during retrieve. Anyway I called St Croix, they told me to buy a shiping label from their website $10 and ship it back to them.

4 days later..............Brand new rod at my door!
TJ DeVoe
Posted 12/21/2008 6:15 PM (#350770 - in reply to #350739)

We can all thank the late Leon Leonwood Bean, also known as L.L. Bean. He set the industry standard way back when he started selling the Bean Boot. He pushed the customer service to a whole new level. From my experience, and more orders from Cabelas than I care to think about, they've been top notch! As a Communication major, studying PR, all indications are Cabelas definitely does it well!
Musky Dawg
Posted 12/21/2008 6:16 PM (#350771 - in reply to #350739)

ProTime Fishing has been more than helpful to me, and always gotten me what I need, when I need it. Never had a problem with them. I also had a great experiance with Drifter Tackle. Had a small 30 inch fish poke a hole in an Ernie, 1st fish on the lure. I e-mailed them and spoke back and forth about some other lure issues I had. I sent the bad ones back, they sent me new ones and a few extra for my troubles. They also explained how they knew about some of my other issues, and what they had done to take care of it. I'm glad to say when my local tackle store got in new stock, the problem was taken care of also, they weren't just blowing smoke up my ass. I've also had very good experiances with Hawgseekers. No problems with their lures, just a problem with me trying to find someone locally that carried them. They were more than happy to take care of me through e-mail, and made a customer for life out of me. I've also had awesome experiance with Musky Innovations. That company has always been more than helpful, friendly, and my kids love it when they run into Brad or Dennis at a show. I also know that there have been issues with some of their stuff, but personally haven't had alot of the major issues that have been discussed on here. I also had an issue with MHM magazine a few weeks ago. I was looking through all my issues for one article, and after a few hours of flipping pages I still couldn't find it. I e-mailed them through their website to find the issue/author so I could hopefully find it. I thought I maybe lost that issue, or loaned it out to someone and never got it back. Steve Heiting e-mailed me back within a day, let me know the issue, author, and his contact info in case I had any questions. Couldn't have asked for a better response. I had also searched the internet for info from this article thinking someone would have talked about it, and didn't find anything. So that was a lifesaver for me. Now if only they could have replaced the MHM sweatshirt that flew out of my boat 2 years ago.
~Dawg
jbmuskie
Posted 12/21/2008 6:30 PM (#350775 - in reply to #350739)

Sportsman's Repair Shop - in Mosinee, WI
I was having a problem with one of my reels, so I called them to see how much it would cost to get it fixed. They explained to me over the phone how I could fix the problem myself! I sure wasn't expecting that. Very nice of them though.
Cast
Posted 12/22/2008 8:03 AM (#350863 - in reply to #350739)

H. Chalk and Son Marine, Fisher's Landing, New York.
Route 8 Marine, Glenshaw, Pennsylvania.
erico
Posted 12/22/2008 8:36 AM (#350867 - in reply to #350739)

Costa del Mar sunglasses have good service. I've got a pair of Fathom's that were 3 years old, the soft rubber temples disintegrated, sent them in with $10 and in a week or so, got a brand new pair in return.

Also, I haven't sent a reel back lately, but Abu Garcia has always been great to me. I've sent in several 6500 and 4500's for repair and always had them back within a week, without a charge ever. A couple of times they sent me brand new reels, pretty good service from a huge company.

Eric
hammy129
Posted 12/22/2008 8:49 AM (#350869 - in reply to #350739)

Dealing with St Croix is great I had a premier snap at the top about 8", it came apart on a cast (1 oz. daredevil) I called customer service, they covered the return shipping and I got my new rod in about a week. Hats off to St. Croix this was my first experience with their rods and turned out pretty good.
bn
Posted 12/22/2008 8:54 AM (#350870 - in reply to #350739)

so he asks for good experiences PP and that is what you can come up with? nice.
I have had good experiences with Cabelas over the years.
Dan at Dunright tackle, I had a couple baits that the harnesses pulled out on before ever hooking a fish and he sent me 4 in replacement no questions asked, no charge
Shimano has been good about a TE that has given me fits...
Marcum, I had an underwater camera housing that got some water/condensation in it...they replaced it very promptly. It's nice to call a company these days and have a person answer the phone.
Vetesnik Motors in Richland Center treated me very well on a recent purchase. I would have liked to go with a more local dealer but I felt like I got "the runaround" on their bottom dollar price...and I was right.
Toms Auto in Mcfarland WI has been very good to deal with over the last couple years, after a friend recommended them I would suggest anyone in the area give them a try....
PIKEMASTER
Posted 12/22/2008 9:17 AM (#350874 - in reply to #350739)

SHIMANO, TICA, AAA Service from them
Muskie Treats
Posted 12/22/2008 9:44 AM (#350879 - in reply to #350739)

Frankies Marine has been FANTASTIC keeping me on the water. I blew a LU last year on a Tuesday. I had to be up in Walker Thursday afternoon for our annual tournament. They got me a LU from Merc and installed on my boat in less then 48 hours!

St.Croix has always been great for me. I've had a couple sticks break and they've responded quickly and without hassle.
esoxaddict
Posted 12/22/2008 10:21 AM (#350884 - in reply to #350739)

1. Abu Garcia:

Sent in a broken record (haha, get it?) and got a replacement in a week, no questions asked. I was expecting them to repair it, not send a brand new one.

2. Frabill: Had a portable aerator last exactly three hours. One e mail later and I had a new one in less than a week.

3. Fig Rig. Couple years back I broke one of my rods, stupid accident. I called Terri to ask her if I could salvage any of the components, and instead she sent me a replacement for less half the retail price. There was no reason for them to warranty the rod after what I did to it. Most companies would just say "you did WHAT? Sorry, that's not covered."

4. Costa Del Mar -- had the same problem as the poster above with the rubber disintegrating. It took a few weeks to get them back, but I got them back good as new, even though the retailer where I bought them had since gone out of business.

Edited by esoxaddict 12/22/2008 10:27 AM
Fish and Whistle
Posted 12/22/2008 1:04 PM (#350904 - in reply to #350739)

Sub-Trailer has been fantastic to deal with. If you are in the Chicago area and need any work done on your trailer these are the guy's. Had to have an axle replaced. They not only described in detail what needed to be done, got the parts and finished the job in less than a day, but they had some free time between apointments so they rewired my trailed at no charge because they were bored. Service like that is what will make me a client for life.
Here's their info:
415 E Saint Charles Rd
Villa Park, IL 60181
(630) 279-7073?
missourimuskyhunter
Posted 12/22/2008 1:47 PM (#350909 - in reply to #350739)

Good companies that have taken care of me-

G3 Boats- Great value,excellent service
Okuma -Great value,excellent service
R&H Musky Shop-If you have problems,they fix it
Cabelas-Very polite,and get things done fast
Smoker Tackle-Take care of there customers/products
Tackle Booty-Great value,great guy
Robert Outdoors-Take care of customers/products
sorenson
Posted 12/22/2008 2:02 PM (#350912 - in reply to #350739)

I guess I've generally been lucky in that I haven't really had too many negative CS experiences.
I hesitate to name the companies that I've dealt with for fear that they might be somehow correlated w/ having a product that might have a propensity to fail. The truth is quite the contrary, these products have largely performed quite well with a few exceptions. I have taken the time to point out some places where improvements could be made. More often than not, the result has been replacement or repair of the product.

Good experiences from ABU, Frabill, Drifter, Hawgseekers, Mojo, Okuma, Pure fishing, Beav's basement baits, Big Game, and likely others I have forgotten. All have at times gone the extra mile to insure that a customer was left w/ a positive experience.

Customer service goes beyond products in some cases...recently, Musky Tackle Online (Aaron) and Tacklebooty (James) teamed up to overcome a shipping problem that was not their fault at all. Thanks again guys.

Or how about the times when something is done so perfectly 'spot on' that no amount of tinkering, tweaking or altering can possibly make it better than the existing product? I have one such example on the wall of my living room provided by Lax Taxidermy. Customer service in that arena was just getting it right - Thanks Rick.

I'm sure there's more, but suffice it to say that my positive experience have outweighed the negative ones in most of my outdoor gear.
S.
Slow Rollin
Posted 12/22/2008 2:23 PM (#350914 - in reply to #350912)

Great customer experience has been Abu Garcia, that really get it and listen to their customers...
Lightning
Posted 12/22/2008 2:31 PM (#350916 - in reply to #350739)

ABU , ST CROIX, Shimano have very good service. Humminbird also sent reply back same day on my emailed request.
RiverMan
Posted 12/22/2008 10:27 PM (#350989 - in reply to #350739)

Mark with Okuma........second to none! The service he provided me on two indurons went above and beyond what he really needed to do and I very much appreciated it.

Jed V.

Edited by RiverMan 12/22/2008 10:28 PM
mrmatt
Posted 12/23/2008 7:08 AM (#351011 - in reply to #350739)

Dan at Dunwright Tackle was great. I had an issue with the Formula X plastic on one of the lifelike pike lures. Called him and described the problem. He got back to me that day and sent a new one out. He couldn't have been a nicer guy. I have bought more Dunwright lures since and will by more. At $15 or more a lure it is nice that a company stands behind it's stuff. A little customer service goes a long way. That is also why I buy from James at Tacklebooty instead of the competitors.
Performance_Tuned
Posted 12/23/2008 9:00 PM (#351260 - in reply to #351011)

Mark from Okuma rules. That guy goes the extra ten miles.

Also I have the give kudos to Bass Pro Shops. I ordered a 8' Pete Maina rod
from them and when it came in the balancer weights were missing. I called them
and expected them to send out a XPS balancer kit. Two days later there was
another brand new rod leaned against the door when I got home from work.
I thought that was really cool of them.
Jump to page : 1 2
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)