Muskie Discussion Forums

Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Language | Blogs Search | Statistics | User Listing
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )
Moderators: Slamr

View previous thread :: View next thread
Jump to page : 1 2
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]

Muskie Fishing -> General Discussion -> Silver Carp

Message Subject: Silver Carp
esoxaddict
Posted 12/3/2008 4:41 PM (#347877)
Subject: Silver Carp

Making their way North...

If you've ever seen any of the footage of what these things do, it's scary.

http://www.suntimes.com/news/metro/1312116,lacrosse-wisconsin-silve...
Pointerpride102
Posted 12/3/2008 4:47 PM (#347879 - in reply to #347877)
Subject: Re: Silver Carp

My question is....what "market" were they found at? Who sells those things?
gimo
Posted 12/3/2008 4:55 PM (#347885 - in reply to #347879)

Never order the Seafood Delight.
mota
Posted 12/3/2008 5:18 PM (#347889 - in reply to #347877)

grrrrrr sad news for you guys
i hope they will all get destroy
firstsixfeet
Posted 12/3/2008 6:09 PM (#347900 - in reply to #347877)

Here is the second of a two part video on them on You tube. If in a hurry go in about to the 2:45 mark and watch as they hit the juice in the IL River, and then you will start to understand what a problem these things are.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2ChwJiKKBdA&NR=1
sworrall
Posted 12/3/2008 6:23 PM (#347902 - in reply to #347877)

http://muskie.outdoorsfirst.com/articles/12.03.2008/1872/Silver.Car...
Top H2O
Posted 12/3/2008 6:30 PM (#347904 - in reply to #347902)

This is not good, at all.
What can be done to stop this Garbage fish from taking over a system or to stop it's spred ?

Jerome
muskyhunter24
Posted 12/3/2008 6:35 PM (#347906 - in reply to #347904)

Top H2O - 12/3/2008 6:30 PM

This is not good, at all.
What can be done to stop this Garbage fish from taking over a system or to stop it's spred ?

Jerome

IMO the only way to stop this is to get it early and when I say early I mean don't let them spawn more then once, because once that has happened the only real way I can see stopping them is to kill the entire lake system and start over. Another solution but would take mass amounts of man power and man hours would be to shock the lake and keep doing it until you don't find anymore fish but with any lake bigger then a pond that would take forever.
esox50
Posted 12/3/2008 6:46 PM (#347910 - in reply to #347906)

muskyhunter24 - 12/3/2008 6:35 PM
IMO the only way to stop this is to get it early and when I say early I mean don't let them spawn more then once, because once that has happened the only real way I can see stopping them is to kill the entire lake system and start over. Another solution but would take mass amounts of man power and man hours would be to shock the lake and keep doing it until you don't find anymore fish but with any lake bigger then a pond that would take forever.

How do you propose stopping them from spawning? They don't guard and lay eggs like bass do. They're broadcast spawners and with perhaps BILLIONS of males and females stopping them from spawning would impossible. They have established themselves. Period. Eradication at this stage (and in my opinion) is out of the question. Even if you mounted mini-guns to shocking boats and spent an entire year shooting as many carp on the IL and Miss. Rivers you'd still not get the job done. Once an invasive establishes itself it is next to impossible to get them out of a system. The goal should now be to CONTAIN them. Crack down on boats passing from a body of water with them in it and moving to another "clean" body of water. Study their behavior, life history, and general biology. You could spend a career "fighting" these fish. Tough job that's for sure.
Pointerpride102
Posted 12/3/2008 6:56 PM (#347912 - in reply to #347910)

esox50 - 12/3/2008 6:46 PM

muskyhunter24 - 12/3/2008 6:35 PM

How do you propose stopping them from spawning? They don't guard and lay eggs like bass do. They're broadcast spawners and with perhaps BILLIONS of males and females stopping them from spawning would impossible. They have established themselves. Period. Eradication at this stage (and in my opinion) is out of the question. Even if you mounted mini-guns to shocking boats and spent an entire year shooting as many carp on the IL and Miss. Rivers you'd still not get the job done. Once an invasive establishes itself it is next to impossible to get them out of a system. The goal should now be to CONTAIN them. Crack down on boats passing from a body of water with them in it and moving to another "clean" body of water. Study their behavior, life history, and general biology. You could spend a career "fighting" these fish. Tough job that's for sure.

Now THAT sounds like a blast! The carp arent very specialized, the can live anywhere and make it easy for them to take over an area. Impossible to get them out, its like cutting E. Water milfoil. You can contain, but erradication is next to impossible. Embrace the jumping carp, grab a bow and try bow shooting airborn carp.
Top H2O
Posted 12/3/2008 7:17 PM (#347915 - in reply to #347912)

Can they eat themselves out of forage, kinda like the Rusty Crayfish ?

Jerome
esox50
Posted 12/3/2008 7:25 PM (#347916 - in reply to #347915)

They are filter feeders that mostly feed on phyto and zooplankton and DOM/POM (dead/particulate organic matter). Gonna be hard to eat themselves out of that...
Joe Cal
Posted 12/3/2008 7:44 PM (#347924 - in reply to #347877)

I was just watching an aireal bowfishing show with my mom during thanksgiving and made the comment that it would be devistating to our fisheries if these carp some how got into our inland waters, now there as close as Lacrosse.

Edited by Joe Cal 12/3/2008 7:45 PM
JRedig
Posted 12/3/2008 9:47 PM (#347946 - in reply to #347877)

The muskies outa just LOVE eating these things! Which bait company will make a bait to mimic the jumpers first??
marine_1
Posted 12/3/2008 10:53 PM (#347957 - in reply to #347900)

firstsixfeet - 12/4/2008 2:09 AM

Here is the second of a two part video on them on You tube. If in a hurry go in about to the 2:45 mark and watch as they hit the juice in the IL River, and then you will start to understand what a problem these things are.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2ChwJiKKBdA&NR=1

HOLY CRAP THAT IS CRAZY!! What an unfortunate turn of events for the environment.
bturg
Posted 12/3/2008 11:18 PM (#347961 - in reply to #347957)

Might have to go will a full windshield after all.....plexiglass and thick
Muskerboy
Posted 12/4/2008 9:25 AM (#348001 - in reply to #347877)

Well I'm into bowfishing hardcore so now I got a new type of carp to slay :).
Muskerboy
Posted 12/4/2008 9:28 AM (#348002 - in reply to #347877)

But this is still a problem

Edited by Muskerboy 12/4/2008 9:30 AM
Reef Hawg
Posted 12/4/2008 10:36 AM (#348022 - in reply to #347877)
Subject: RE: Silver Carp

First, thanks to MF for putting the article on the front page. I usually don't get worked up over natural resource issues that are by and large out of my control but this one strikes a nerve. Growing up with the WI River since the early 80's as the river cleaned up due to the Clean Water act, I never thought it could get anything but better. Now these things are knocking at the door a few dams south of my home and within a few hundred yards from having full access to the great lakes. Could it make socioeconomic sense to poison the entire systems they are currently in, to preserve the great lakes and WI/MN waters from their arrival?? I don't know. If they do get up the WI River(and they will as proven by many other species that mysteriously made their way 'up' over the years), their spread to other inland lakes is that much more of a real threat. They already have access to the Black river, if in the Mississipi at Lacrosse.

Not so sure we can contain these critters as mentioned, and the brand new containment system that our tax dollars spent millions and millions on in the Illinois river to keep them out of the great lakes, is not even being used, due to some griping by the cross state shipping industry in Illinois. those who use it, are lucky that they even have the artificial corridor from the Mississippi to the great lakes that is the Illinois river.

Not a bad time to write a letter or two and be heard on the issue. It would be a mistake to allow an industry that is dwarfed by the mulit billion$$$ great lakes sport fisheries industry/s, blockade a measure that could prevent devastation to our Great Lakes.

That said, nothing is ever quite as bad as it seems it could get. However, these critters would trump each and every invasive we are already dealing with.

Edited by Reef Hawg 12/4/2008 11:09 AM
J Routt
Posted 12/4/2008 10:57 AM (#348023 - in reply to #347877)

Unfortunately I have watched one of my favorite river systems in Indiana get infested with them to the lowest dam, which happens to be my favorite stretch to fish. It really is sad to see. It almost seemed like it happened overnight. A body of water can only sustain a certain biomass, so these things have to be pushing out a lot of the game species the river was full of. I don’t know the full science of it, but it is obviously incredibly bad.
When you catch them, it is illegal (in Indiana) to release them, for obvious reasons. So there are dead decaying carp everywhere you fish from fisherman chucking them on the banks and rock piles. It’s a great smell in the middle of the summer!!
They can only go up to the lowest dam on any system, but people can unknowingly spread them VERY easily. The small minnows and fingerlings look very similar to normal minnows. Anybody that seines for minnows can transport them above dams or to new bodies of water if they dump their minnows at the end of the day. (Which is also illegal.)

I’m usually just a casual observer on here for the most part, but this is truly a serious issue in a large area of the US. It really sucks when you see one of your favorite areas to fish get overrun with them.

What can we do? I don’t know that there is anything but contain them and stop the spread. Hopefully they figure out something!!

rob.s
Posted 12/4/2008 11:20 AM (#348026 - in reply to #347877)

Chicago’s electric carp barrier hits a snag

http://www.jsonline.com/news/32468089.html

sworrall
Posted 12/4/2008 11:49 AM (#348034 - in reply to #347877)

Nasty critters.
esoxaddict
Posted 12/4/2008 12:13 PM (#348039 - in reply to #347877)

This is what we need to do:

1. Come up with an exotic name for them
2. Start selling them in high end restaurants as this years new fish

Think about it. Every year or two there's some new fad fish in all the area restaurants -We've had orange roughy, lake perch, swordfish, salmon, mahi mahi... As soon as one species starts getting wiped out from commercial harvest, a new one steps in to take its place, and pretty soon everyone is eating it, all the rage in all the trendy places.

All we gotta do is create a market for this #*#* and pretty soon there will be hundreds of people, lining up to catch them to make a few bucks selling them to fish markets and local distributors, and hundreds more paying big bucks in a fancy restaurant for char crusted asain carp. There again -- we need an exotic name, though.
Posted 12/4/2008 12:31 PM (#348040 - in reply to #348039)

esoxaddict - 12/4/2008 12:13 PM

Think about it. Every year or two there's some new fad fish in all the area restaurants -We've had orange roughy, lake perch, swordfish, salmon, mahi mahi... As soon as one species starts getting wiped out from commercial harvest, a new one steps in to take its place, and pretty soon everyone is eating it, all the rage in all the trendy places.

All we gotta do is create a market for this #*#* and pretty soon there will be hundreds of people, lining up to catch them to make a few bucks selling them to fish markets and local distributors, and hundreds more paying big bucks in a fancy restaurant for char crusted asain carp. There again -- we need an exotic name, though.

Your half way there.

Find a way to turn them into a fuel source for your automobile. Biofuel.
dtaijo174
Posted 12/4/2008 12:56 PM (#348046 - in reply to #348039)

esoxaddict - 12/4/2008 12:13 PM

QUOTE]

Love it!
1.) Soaring Silvers
2.) Now come up with a good recipe... I bet they taste like $h!t...
Hooper
Posted 12/4/2008 1:30 PM (#348051 - in reply to #347877)

with the money needed to be spent to erradicate this fish, I think simply putting a bounty on them. How'd you like to spend a day on the water taking $1 a fish.

Grind it up and you get more dog food.
esoxaddict
Posted 12/4/2008 1:45 PM (#348054 - in reply to #347877)

Hoop, people will eat anything if you market it right, or even if other people are eating it.

But you are right -- fertilizer, dog food, cat food, fish oil capsules... there are a number of things that could be done with them. If they find their way into the great lakes, there's no telling what might happen, and from there its only a matter of time until the make their way through all the tributaries and into the flowages and lakes we all love to fish.
Almost-B-Good
Posted 12/4/2008 2:07 PM (#348062 - in reply to #347877)

I don't think it is possible to stop them from getting into the Gret Lakes and then down the St. Lawrence, resulting in pretty much the total destruction of all gamefish we now value, unless we can come up with a devastating bio-engeneered desease that only attacks them. Good luck on that! I have no doubt that in their native range there are natural controls keeping them in check. If you were to introduce them here it might be worse than the carp though. Without a crystal ball to see the results before they happen it's just guesswork. Just too sad for words.
JRedig
Posted 12/4/2008 2:20 PM (#348068 - in reply to #347877)

If these things did invade, muskies and pike might be the only thing left to gorge on them!
Posted 12/4/2008 6:35 PM (#348116 - in reply to #348068)

JRedig - 12/4/2008 2:20 PM

If these things did invade, muskies and pike might be the only thing left to gorge on them!

one of the articles said they get to sixty pounds. and with muskies eating them we'd get some BIG muskies.
Jump to page : 1 2
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)