Muskie Discussion Forums

Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Language | Blogs Search | Statistics | User Listing
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )
Moderators: Slamr

View previous thread :: View next thread
Jump to page : 1 2 3
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]

Muskie Fishing -> Lures,Tackle, and Equipment -> Daiwa Saltist Levelwind for 2009

Message Subject: Daiwa Saltist Levelwind for 2009
PIKEMASTER
Posted 7/17/2008 6:54 AM (#326866)
Subject: Daiwa Saltist Levelwind for 2009

Comes in 6:1.1 gears, 36" line pickup !!!!!!!!!!!! and will retail for $169.95 !!!!!!!

Edited by PIKEMASTER 7/17/2008 1:34 PM

Zoom - | Zoom 100% | Zoom + | Expand / Contract | Open New window
Click to expand / contract the width of this image
(picicast2008daiwa37.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments picicast2008daiwa37.jpg (24KB - 2557 downloads)
NYmuskyhunter
Posted 7/17/2008 7:09 AM (#326868 - in reply to #326866)
Subject: Re: DAWIA SALTIST LEVEL WIND NEW FOR 2009 !!!!!!

I had heard daiwa was working on something 5 or 6 months ago, then I didn't hear anything. Thought it was dead in the water. Glad to see the prototype exists. I can say with complete certainty that this is a must have for all muskie hunters. Hopefully, if they get enough print coverage in magazines, and they sell a few too, shimano and others will follow suit!!

Thanks for the pic.

Randy
kawartha kid
Posted 7/17/2008 7:31 AM (#326874 - in reply to #326866)
Subject: Re: DAWIA SALTIST LEVEL WIND NEW FOR 2009 !!!!!!

Nice looking reel,any idea when they will be available?
Will Schultz
Posted 7/17/2008 8:11 AM (#326887 - in reply to #326866)
Subject: Re: Daiwa Saltist Levelwind for 2009

Now...

http://www.jandh.com/p-1333-daiwa-saltist-levelwind-reels.aspx
lambeau
Posted 7/17/2008 8:27 AM (#326892 - in reply to #326887)

that's cool.

i've been running the Daiwa Saltist (non-levelwind) this year for my oversize bucktails and it's an awesome reel, especially at the affordable price when compared to other reels in this class.

it's extremely strong, casts a mile, and brings even hard-pulling double-12s in very fast without breaking your hand (i have the narrow high-speed version at 47"/crank). i 've found that by just slightly under-filling the spool, the line loads nicely even without the levelwind.

great reel. the addition of the levelwind will make it even easier to use.
ShaneW
Posted 7/17/2008 9:25 AM (#326919 - in reply to #326866)

I was hoping it was going to be the STT30TH which has the 47 inches of line retrieve but it looks like it's the "slower" reel with "only" 36" of line retrieve per crank. Still a great reel but I am hoping for the STT30TH to come out with a levelwind. I have adapted pretty well to fishing without a levelwind but having one would reduce backlashes. Nice job by Daiwa.

Shane
kdawg
Posted 7/17/2008 10:49 AM (#326948 - in reply to #326919)

Nice looking reel, but will you still have to manually engage the lever after the cast? Kdawg
PIKEMASTER
Posted 7/19/2008 6:56 AM (#327232 - in reply to #326866)
Subject: RE: Daiwa Saltist Levelwind for 2009

Another look

Zoom - | Zoom 100% | Zoom + | Expand / Contract | Open New window
Click to expand / contract the width of this image
(picicast2008daiwa38.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments picicast2008daiwa38.jpg (27KB - 386 downloads)
knooter
Posted 7/24/2008 10:18 PM (#327962 - in reply to #326866)

Wow, really nice looking reel. Looks like I'm going to need another rod.
bfunk73183
Posted 7/24/2008 10:52 PM (#327969 - in reply to #327962)

gorgeous...

-ba-
Nicholas Lehnertz
Posted 7/27/2008 1:14 PM (#328266 - in reply to #326866)

I agree with lambeau, I've been running the Saltist all year as well, and it's just a great reel, even without the line guide. I haven't had any backlash problems, and the thing is built like a tank. The line guide should make it all the better. Nice job Diawa.
Big Perc
Posted 7/27/2008 9:35 PM (#328341 - in reply to #326866)

Which one are you guys using size wise...the 20, 30, 40 or 50? and why is it that the 6.1:1 gear ratio makes reeling in cowgirls so much easier...is the gearing system different in these reel then say a Daiwa Luna? I am a little confused...can someone shed some light on the subject a little deeper. Thanks

Big Perc
gtp888
Posted 7/28/2008 6:26 AM (#328365 - in reply to #326866)

I'm not trying to start a beef here, I'm just simply curious. When there is a huge price difference in comparable reels, inevetably someone will say something to the effect of "you get what you pay for." In this case, I'm seeing this reel as comparable to the Shimano Trinidad or Torium but a very large price difference to the Trinidad. So my question is why has no one chimed in that you get what you pay for? Is the Saltist just that well made, yet it can be offered for about half what a Trinidad costs? I think I'm missing something here. If someone can please fill me in on why the big price difference I'd appreciate it.

Edited by gtp888 7/28/2008 6:40 AM
NYmuskyhunter
Posted 7/28/2008 9:10 AM (#328389 - in reply to #326866)

I'm thinking that the saltist IS a good deal. I own a trinidad only because I'm partial to shimano products. I own 7 shimanos now for muskies and one red Isis. IMO, the Calcutta 400 te is that much better than all the reels in its class and in that case, the saying you get what you pay for is applicable, IMO. Same goes for my lighter set up with thecalcutta 250te DC.
With that being said, I have cast the saltist a few times (without levelwind) and it pulls the dbl 10's very nicely. In fact, as well as the trinidad. Since it's not mine, I don't know what it's maintance history is orhiw long it will last. I can say though that my trinidad will outlive me, even in ten years when we are throwing baits so large that the 10's, 13's and the new #20 are made to look small.

One more note. The levelwindon the saltist makes it a MUCH more versatile reel than the trinidad. To get the line to spool evenly, the trinidad must be in constant retrieve with resistance. The new saltist will let you throw baits that you can rip, pause and jerk more easily.

Saltist could easily be $100 more and still a good deal.
My long winded .02cents
Randy
gtp888
Posted 7/28/2008 9:41 AM (#328405 - in reply to #328389)

Thanks for the info, Randy. I appreciate your input. Very good information.
lambeau
Posted 7/28/2008 10:00 AM (#328412 - in reply to #326866)

keep in mind that the particular model you get makes a big difference.
i'm using the 30TH (narrow spool, high speed) that offers 47" of line pick up.
i didn't notice it at first, but the new Saltist shown above with a line guide only offers 36" of line pickup.
for me, using a reel this huge is only worth it because of the amount of power/speed it offers and in that case the 47" makes a difference to me. there are other reels that offer large spool/low gearing that are easier to handle. line feeds fine on the 30TH as long as you've got tension on it. a line guide would be nice, but i won't downsize/downspeed to get it.

bn
Posted 7/28/2008 10:28 AM (#328421 - in reply to #326866)

lambeau, you said you underfilled your spool though...have you actually tested how many inches per crank you are bringing in?? if so what was it per crank??

my guess you are not bringing in nearly 47" per crank if you underfilled your spool by a 1/4...if you are bringing in 47" per crank I would suspect you will have forearms like Popeye fairly soon...these big saltwater reels and double tens are best suited imo with about 36-40" inches per crank...which makes it easier to really kick into high gear when you really need to...
so that 36" with a full spool on the other reel might just be enough... keep that in mind..

gtp888
Posted 7/28/2008 11:20 AM (#328437 - in reply to #328412)

lambeau - 7/28/2008 10:00 AM

keep in mind that the particular model you get makes a big difference.
i'm using the 30TH (narrow spool, high speed) that offers 47" of line pick up.
i didn't notice it at first, but the new Saltist shown above with a line guide only offers 36" of line pickup.
for me, using a reel this huge is only worth it because of the amount of power/speed it offers and in that case the 47" makes a difference to me. there are other reels that offer large spool/low gearing that are easier to handle. line feeds fine on the 30TH as long as you've got tension on it. a line guide would be nice, but i won't downsize/downspeed to get it.

Good point, and I understand that, but I'm really wondering about the difference between the price points as it translates to the quality of these reels, Saltist to Trinidad. Even the Saltist w/o the level wind is quite a bit less expensive than a Trinidad and they are comparable reels from what I understand with regards to size, application design (meaning saltwater live bait reels), and retrieve speed. As I mentioned above, whenever there is a large discrepancy like this, someone will point out the difference and mention you get what you pay for. Maybe another way of asking this is what is a person NOT getting with a Saltist that they would get with a Trinidad except and extra 2 C notes from their pocket? When comparisons are drawn between other reels (say an Abu 6500 to a Calcutta TE), the differences are quickly pointed out and if you buy an Abu you "get what you pay for."

Again, I'm not starting a Ford/Chevy debate, I'm just wondering why everyone seems to be so on board with the Saltist when there is a big difference in price, and had I asked what the difference is between a C3 and a Calcutta, I would be told that I get whet I pay for in terms of quality?

Hope this helps with my thought process and thanks for the input.

Edited by gtp888 7/28/2008 11:22 AM
lambeau
Posted 7/28/2008 11:57 AM (#328448 - in reply to #328437)

lambeau, you said you underfilled your spool though...have you actually tested how many inches per crank you are bringing in?? if so what was it per crank??
my guess you are not bringing in nearly 47" per crank if you underfilled your spool by a 1/4...if you are bringing in 47" per crank I would suspect you will have forearms like Popeye fairly soon...these big saltwater reels and double tens are best suited imo with about 36-40" inches per crank...which makes it easier to really kick into high gear when you really need to...

i underfilled it only a very slight amount. just enough so that if the line isn't feeding straight on the center it won't pile up over the edge of the spool on the side.
with about a 350yd line capacity, i'd have to shed 75yds to be 1/4 underspooled; i only took off about 15yds, definitely less than 25 yards under max...so i probably lost a bit on the retrieve speed, dropping all the way down to the 45"-46"/crank range.
with the power handle at the fully extended setting, you can get a middling-fast retrieve with a very moderate crank pace. even at only moderate retrieve speeds you'll blow double-10s out of the water if they aren't weighted; i build my own bucktails and have been putting on as much as 2oz of lead to keep them wet.
speed up (as you say, when needed) and the thing absolutely blasts. you'd be hard-pressed to do that for more than about 10 casts, but it's there when you need it. when running the big bucktails i'd rather reel at a moderate pace and get a fast retrieve speed without tiring myself out whirring a crank as fast as my hand can move.

since this is a very big reel (and i have small hands), i would use a different reel if i was looking for something in the 35-40"/crank range. there are other options out there that aren't as bulky. but, in the really fast range this one works great.

Good point, and I understand that, but I'm really wondering about the difference between the price points as it translates to the quality of these reels, Saltist to Trinidad.

i can't speak to the Trinidad, as i haven't used it. i've made just a few casts with the less expensive Torium version, and it seemed comparable to my Saltist.
i can say that i've used some very hard-pulling baits (double 10s, double 12s) with the Saltist, retrieving that at high speeds and it's both performed and held up extremely well so far.
gtp888
Posted 7/30/2008 8:00 AM (#328910 - in reply to #326866)

I did some checking around last nite and saw this comes in a 6.4:1 level wind as well. On this website, the level wind 6.4:1 only comes in the two largest sizes, the 40 and 50.

Here's the link if you're interested. http://www.charkbait.com/cs/csrd.htm
jlong
Posted 8/1/2008 8:57 AM (#329286 - in reply to #328910)

Thanks for the link.

Do you think there is a significant difference between 6.0:1 and 6.4:1 gear ratios?

I'm wondering if the smaller frame of the N20 model would be an advantage for the caster who palms the reel.

Wish the freespool lever auto engaged with a turn of the reel handle too. I'm assuming that feature makes doing the "Joe Bucher Synchronized Casting" a little challenging???

Please keep the feedback coming on this reel... as I'm seriously considering making a purchase... and value first-hand experiences. Thanks.
BALDY
Posted 8/1/2008 9:45 AM (#329294 - in reply to #329286)

jlong - 8/1/2008 8:57 AM

Wish the freespool lever auto engaged with a turn of the reel handle too. I'm assuming that feature makes doing the "Joe Bucher Synchronized Casting" a little challenging???

Not at all Jason.

Within a few casts you will be used to manually engaging the lever. You can synchronize tails just as well as with a crank engaging reel.
gtp888
Posted 8/1/2008 10:20 AM (#329298 - in reply to #329286)

Jason,

I emailed Josh at J & H (the link at the top of this thread) a few days ago and asked him to compare the size 30 Saltist w/levelwind reel to an Abu 6500 C3 and he said they are close in size to each other. This is what he told me so I don't know with 100% certainty if it's the case without actually seeing one.

On a personal note, I palm Abu 7000's so for me it's not a real issue, but I'd still like to know for certain about the size also.

Edited by gtp888 8/1/2008 10:23 AM
jlong
Posted 8/1/2008 10:35 AM (#329300 - in reply to #329298)

Baldy.... how do you get the blade spinning at impact... if you need a micro second to flip (engage) the lever back before winding in line? Seems awkward... but I suppose its one of those things you just gotta try to really know?

888, I have no problem palming an ABU 7000 either.... so that makes me feel better about the N30 over the N20. My concern with the N20 is that it is small enough that loss of spool diameter on a cast would be a concern.

Hopefully a few guys will test these out soon and post some first hand experiences.
lambeau
Posted 8/1/2008 10:49 AM (#329304 - in reply to #329286)

Do you think there is a significant difference between 6.0:1 and 6.4:1 gear ratios?

the difference translates to 11" of line. when really burning a lure at something like 2-3 cranks/second that's a pretty significant difference in potential speed, especially when multiplied over the length of a full cast.
the 20H (6.0:1) brings it in at 36"/crank.
the 30H (6.0:1) brings it in at 36"/crank.
the 30TH (6.4:1) brings it in at 47"/crank.
the 20 size isn't available in a 6.4:1 ("T") version as far as i can find.

I'm wondering if the smaller frame of the N20 model would be an advantage for the caster who palms the reel.

this reel is significantly bigger than a 6500 size round reel. much, much bigger. it's moderately bigger than a 7000 size, but has rounded edges so in some ways that helps you hold it with less pain.
for me, that was the hardest thing to get used to in using this reel (30TH model). i palm the reel, but i have quite small hands. at first i tried changing to a front cork grip, but i didn't like that so went back to palming the reel. the accomodation i made is that i just basically palm the reel - only my pinkie finger is under the rod. i worried that my hand would slip doing this, but that hasn't happened, i can grip around enough of the reel that i have a good hold on it. a smaller reel would be easier, but again, not available in the 6.4:1 as far as i could find.

I'm assuming that feature makes doing the "Joe Bucher Synchronized Casting" a little challenging?

yes, slightly harder but not something that stops you from doing it. you get used to the timing and i just flick the lever a split second before the lure lands and start cranking. it's a non-issue with a little practice.
same thing goes for disengaging it on figure-8s (i prefer to be in freespool). with a bit of practice i find myself doing it automatically as i go into the 8 and don't even realize consciously that i've done it anymore.

due to the fact that it doesn't have a levelwind, it's obviously more backlash prone, even if your thumb is pretty "experienced" since the spool is going very very fast and is a goodly bit wider than your thumb.
i found that it's more important with this reel than with others to set your spool tension appropriately. it's made a big difference for me, especially since i'm not the most careful caster in the world when it comes to avoiding backlashes.
birchies
Posted 8/1/2008 10:50 AM (#329305 - in reply to #326866)

Does anyone know if they are planning on making a left hand model in the near future?
BALDY
Posted 8/1/2008 10:54 AM (#329308 - in reply to #329300)

jlong - 8/1/2008 10:35 AM

Baldy.... how do you get the blade spinning at impact... if you need a micro second to flip (engage) the lever back before winding in line? Seems awkward... but I suppose its one of those things you just gotta try to really know?

Jason,

I cast with my left so I never have to switch hands.

On a cast, I thumb the spool a second or so before it hits the water and move my right hand to the lever. As soon as the bait hits the water, I flip the lever with my thumb, and my hand is already on the crank ready to go.

I'm not the most coordinated guy in the world and I can do it. I bet you'll have no problems once you try it
TylerS
Posted 8/1/2008 12:04 PM (#329320 - in reply to #326866)

A friend of mine gave me a Pflueger Contender G50HS. The reel is a saltwater reel with a 6.0:1 gear ratio so I thought it would both have power in speed to reel in the double tens(doesn't have a levelwind). Even though it cranks them in fast, I find it very tiring after only a few casts. Everyone is talking about how the saltwater reels reel them in very fast and easy. I've never tried a Trinidad or Saltist but these reels seem similar with the Pflueger contender. What are the differenes? I find the Contender hard to reel in after a while. Thanks.

Tyler
PIKEMASTER
Posted 8/1/2008 1:08 PM (#329336 - in reply to #326866)

If the STTLW30HA with 6:1.1 gears has a line pickup of 36" and the STTLW40HA with 6:4.1 gears has a line pickup of 46", the STTLW40HA has to a BIG reel/ LARGE SPOOL to gain 10" of line pick up over the STTLW30HA. Also I would like to know the size of the pinion and main gear, from the STTLW30HA to the STTLW40HA ???? The STTLW30HA weights in at 19.4oz and the STTLW40HA comes in at 22.6oz. Daiwa makes the SALTIST LEVELWIND in a 20HA and a 30HA in 6:1.1 ratio only, and the 40A and the 50A in 4:9.1 gears and the 40HA and the 50HA in 6:4.1 gears.

Edited by PIKEMASTER 8/1/2008 3:06 PM
lambeau
Posted 8/1/2008 3:00 PM (#329349 - in reply to #326866)

http://daiwa.com/reel/saltwater.aspx
you're right about the spool size on the 40 being much larger than the 30; it holds 170 more yds of line!
one advantage of the 30TH in the non-levelwind version is you get the "Ultra High Speed" (Daiwa's term) with 47"/crank in the smaller 30 spool size plus in a narrow spool as well. though still heavy at 23oz, the size of the reel isn't as cumbersome as the full/wide versions; it gives you a manageable reel that can really burn.

if they'd come out with a STTLW30THA (levelwind, narrow spool, ultra high speed)...i'd buy it. but for now i'll wait and see, the lack of a levelwind really isn't an issue with a little practice.

Jump to page : 1 2 3
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)