Muskie Discussion Forums

Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Language | Blogs Search | Statistics | User Listing
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )
Moderators: Slamr

View previous thread :: View next thread
Jump to page : 1 2
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]

Muskie Fishing -> General Discussion -> Dumbest thing done while muskie fishing?

Message Subject: Dumbest thing done while muskie fishing?
musky12
Posted 2/18/2008 6:15 PM (#301932)
Subject: Dumbest thing done while muskie fishing?

what is the down right dumbest thing you have ever done while musky fishing???
Madmanmusky
Posted 2/18/2008 6:20 PM (#301936 - in reply to #301932)
Subject: RE: LOOK!

Got all excited to get on the lake and forgot to unhook one strap at the back of the boat and ended up floating the trailer and had to cut the strap and trust me it was pretty embarassing
Tackle Industries
Posted 2/18/2008 6:30 PM (#301939 - in reply to #301932)
Subject: Re: LOOK!

Sat on a 9 inch Grandma and hooked my legs together plus to my Lakewoods box. Took my buddy a while to stop laughing to help me. I suck at muskie fishing, he just lets me ride along for the laughs...
muskie_man
Posted 2/18/2008 6:36 PM (#301945 - in reply to #301936)
Subject: RE: LOOK!

Madmanmusky - 2/18/2008 7:20 PM

Got all excited to get on the lake and forgot to unhook one strap at the back of the boat and ended up floating the trailer and had to cut the strap and trust me it was pretty embarassing :(

Haha! I have been in that situation before! It got kinda hectic when that happened!
muskyhunter63
Posted 2/18/2008 7:11 PM (#301969 - in reply to #301932)
Subject: RE: Dumbest thing done while muskie fishing?

Dumbest thing was forgetting to charge the batteries for the trolling motor the night before a trip to Lake Wingra with my sons. Got across the lake and motor died. Showed the boys that Dad could use one paddle to row the big boat back to the landing where I jumped in the truck, ran to Walmart and bought two new batteries so I could take the boys back out and show them that I could catch the only fish of the day. Boy was I sore the next day!
Ken
muskie! nut
Posted 2/18/2008 7:32 PM (#301979 - in reply to #301969)

muskyhunter63 - 2/18/2008 7:11 PM

Dumbest thing was forgetting to charge the batteries for the trolling motor the night before a trip to Lake Wingra with my sons. Got across the lake and motor died. Showed the boys that Dad could use one paddle to row the big boat back to the landing where I jumped in the truck, ran to Walmart and bought two new batteries so I could take the boys back out and show them that I could catch the only fish of the day. Boy was I sore the next day!
Ken

Hey Ken when we go fishing, we can use my boat.
muskyhunter63
Posted 2/18/2008 7:43 PM (#301985 - in reply to #301979)

OK, I will still bring the paddle though. We will go around and around and around!!!!!
Ken
Reelwise
Posted 2/18/2008 7:46 PM (#301987 - in reply to #301979)
Subject: Re: Dumbest thing done while muskie fishing?

Cast 20 yards into the woods...20 yards away from shore... (IT WAS FOGGY!) but then again, I caught a fish on the first cast right afterwards (Sean was trying to get us off a rock)
muskie! nut
Posted 2/18/2008 8:08 PM (#301997 - in reply to #301932)

My buddy and I were fishing a lake in the state park just after dark. He sees a raccoon along the shore. Hey Gerard, see that saccoon along shore. Me with my night blindness, I say no. He says watch where my bucktail lands. I didn't hear it hit the water and he says crap! I snagged him. Now what do I do? I told him he was on his own. The raccoon start running up the hill, but the bucktail came out.
Whoolligan
Posted 2/18/2008 8:43 PM (#302014 - in reply to #301932)

I think the dumbest thing I've ever done is told my bride I wasn't going to shore until I had to.
(until I had to...) Want to talk about a PO'd fishing partner.
Got Esox?
Posted 2/18/2008 9:45 PM (#302042 - in reply to #301932)

Got to the lake and the outboard was froze in the up position. Launched the boat anyway and expended the all of my trolling juice (TM battery and starting battery) to get to the spot I wanted to fish and anchored to soak suckers all day. Had to paddle back ~1 mile with one tiny oar and break ice as I neared the landing at night. Dumb!

Edited by Got Esox? 2/18/2008 10:12 PM
musky12
Posted 2/18/2008 9:58 PM (#302044 - in reply to #302042)

this is no the dumbest thing ive done but ive forgotten my tackle many times when going to lakes that ive really wanted to fish.
Pointerpride102
Posted 2/18/2008 10:01 PM (#302045 - in reply to #302044)

Forgot all of my release tools back in the apartment. Get to the river and have to turn back around and go get them. Very frustrating. The only other thing that makes the list is falling in the river while fishing the spring walleye run, while trying to get over Mononuecleosis.....ended up in the ER that night with golf ball sized tonsels, but I did get 3 legal eyes that day!
TJ DeVoe
Posted 2/18/2008 10:06 PM (#302047 - in reply to #302045)

My shining moment would definitely have to be when I was alone at Boom Lake, going to launch the boat. I thought I had it in the water enough, but apparently I didn't. So I get back in the truck, back up what seemed like only an inch, but that inch sent my boat floating down the lake. It was a good 30 to 40 yards out there with a decent wind. I looked around and was like well, I guess I'm going swimming. All alone at the launch, except for this grandma and grandpa that were sitting in their car. They got to watch the whole scene unravel. Wow did I feel stupid.

Edited by Merckid 2/18/2008 10:10 PM
musky12
Posted 2/18/2008 10:10 PM (#302048 - in reply to #302045)

very nice stories guys expecially merckid that would really suck!
Sawbones
Posted 2/18/2008 10:19 PM (#302050 - in reply to #301932)

I feel your pain T.J.  I did the exact same thing.  Scored a day off work this fall.  Got to the launch right at sunrise. Beautiful morning.  Went to launch the boat and thought I'd be all efficient and unhook everything before backing in.  Ramp was a little steeper then i remembered, and I backed in too far, sending the boat off in to the lake unmanned.  Just as I was about to jump in after it (48 deg water) I came to my senses and realized the wind would blow it back to shore.  I did the same look around to see if anyone saw the brain fart, but it was just me.  I had a good laugh about it and had a great day on the water.

Dave

JeffPaasch
Posted 2/18/2008 10:31 PM (#302052 - in reply to #301932)

I have quite a few more dumb stories than just one. There was one of the handful times that I launched the boat without screwing in the plug that I did it with my bilge out. By the time I got back to the ramp with the trailer to pull it out and drain it there was so much weight in the boat from the water that I warped a leaf spring on the trailer. Then there was the time I tried to do a quick unhook and release of a small fish in the mid twenties without any tools. One bad twist sends a Buchertail through my thumb past the barb. Now I am attached to a very unhappy fish who is hell bent on removing my thumb. I wouldn't recommend it to anyone. Finally there was the weekend 2 years ago that I took my cousin, the non fisherman, out and let him use my new 7 1/2 foot Avid matched with a Morrum 6600. It was cold, and wet and one cast with a little too much behind it sends the whole rod and reel sailing out into the lake into about 22 feet of water never to ben seen again. I made him use a topwater the rest of the night just in case.

Edited by JeffPaasch 2/18/2008 10:35 PM
floydss
Posted 2/18/2008 10:59 PM (#302053 - in reply to #301932)

Loading the boat on a little lake at the only landing on that side of the lake, back the trailer into the water, jump out and load the boat, go to get back into the truck to find that the auto lock has worked, trucks running, boats on the trailer and I am blocking the only ramp!! then the cops happen to drive by as I am breaking a ultralight rod in half to try and unlock my truck, the cop sat and watched me break into my truck which took 45 min. after i get in he then checked my fishing license, need less to say i now keep a key in my boat and have keyless entry!!
Reelwise
Posted 2/18/2008 11:28 PM (#302054 - in reply to #301932)

Hey Mike, release tools are one thing... but have you ever forgotten your rod? Woops. LOL
Coach Rob
Posted 2/19/2008 12:07 AM (#302058 - in reply to #301932)

So many things (I am old)

Always make sure the clicker is on, bail open (rod and reel overboard).

Running a rental row boat (14 yrs old) onto a reef, 5 miles from campground.

Make sure you have a full tank of gas when making a 10 mile run, the electric got me 1/2 of the way back, little oar the rest. Listen to your wife when she asks if you have enough gas!!!! Gauge went out.

Fishing on a moonless night, no GPS, I am driving (electric). My partner yells out figuring he has one. I had manged to put us in the middle of a reed bed, at least 20' in from the edge. Took me awhile to figure out which way was out.
same night we are running over 80' of water and all hell breaks loose. Water and crap flying everywhere. I figured I hit a reef. Ran right into a 20+ flock of ducks, most of them too young to fly. they were shooting off everywhere. Scared teh crap out of me.

The topper for me:

Years ago I figured I would try to hitch a boat ride with someone while up north for a week on a fmaily vacation. I ended up taking a guy out in a little 12' resort boat with a 9.9. The guy weighed a solid 350 lbs. He had never gone musky fishing. After the 20 minutes it took for him to get in the boat, I headed out to work some suspended fish.

Had a nice follow, when he leaned to look it #*^@ near launched me out. Any movement he made threw me off balance.

The trip ended abruptly when he buried a bucktail treble right between my shoulder blades. Luckily I had a heavy shirt on. Shirt was toast but the barbs did not make it all the way in.

Trip ended prematurely after a total of 1-1/2 hrs out.
JKahler
Posted 2/19/2008 12:18 AM (#302059 - in reply to #301932)

When I was around 18 or so I went to start our old motor...it was still in gear.. so it started and I flew backward hugging the motor so I didn't fall overboard. Yeah, I felt really stupid after that one, luckily noone saw.

I feel pretty dumb about not getting a pic of a 50"...but the camera was buried in the rod locker and the fish was still green so what can a guy do? Let it swim...
troy trebesch
Posted 2/19/2008 4:23 AM (#302069 - in reply to #302059)

opening morning, raining cats and dogs, I forgot to put my plug in! my pumps were working overtime and for 2 hours I fished some shore lines without starting my boat. when it was time to fire it up and move I reilized I had about 1000 gallons of water inside and the boat would only go about 8 mph. thought for sure I would be calling my INS company! later that day after draining out the boat I forgot to push the release on my reel and casted my new 8ft diamondback into the drink-it was a crappy day!
MuskyTime
Posted 2/19/2008 7:56 AM (#302079 - in reply to #301932)

So excited to get out on LOTW one year that I forgot to put the plug in my boat. My plug is located in a position that you can only reach it from outside the boat. After fishing for about an hour I herd my auto bilge pump start running and looked back to see water on the floor. In a panic a rushed to shore and had to submerge myself up to my neck in order to reach the plug.

Good news is I had an awesome day on the water and boated 10 fish after that, but my shoes were still wet at the end of the day.

Ed
Ben
Posted 2/19/2008 8:04 AM (#302083 - in reply to #301932)

The dumbest thing Ive ever done was hook a jet ski on oconomowoc lake...While it was moving!! 2 jet skis came by within 35 feet going about 15-20 mph and made a sharp right turn in front of us. I said to my buddy "watch this" and threw a cast right at the front of one of the jet skis. My Mag dawg bounced off the front of the jet ski and landed in the water. The guy on the JS jammed the throttle and never looked back. Well, some how the dawg had got caught on his jet ski and I hadnt reengaged my reel so now Im watching $40.00 worth of gear being stripped from my possesion...And thats when I did the dumbest thing I could of EVER done. About 1/2 way through the spool I stupidly engaed the reel and the lure broke loose from where it was, swung around the rider and stuck back in the jet ski 3 different times before getting stuck for good only inches from this guys foot. By this time he had spooled me down to my backing and the line broke about the same time that he noticed the lure hanging from his jet ski. The guy stopped, grabbed the lure, threw it in the water and drove off. Some how we managed to find the end of my line so I respooled and went back to fishing.

I know everyone feels like hooking a jetskier when there buzzing you all day, but its not worth it. Had I hooked this guy with a magnum dawg in the throat or eye I could of killed him. The fact that he didnt get hooked was nothing short of a miracle..
JohnMD
Posted 2/19/2008 8:09 AM (#302084 - in reply to #302079)

Leaving @ 3:00 AM for a week long trip to Vilas Cnty get the boat hooked up did all the usual checks : Lights, Straps, made sure everything in the boat was secured finally time to go pull out of the drive way and then hear a terrible grinding noise, Stopped and got out to see what was going on - Forgot to raise
and lock the tounge jack in place. Glad it was only something minor but I sure did feel stupid

crackpot
Posted 2/19/2008 8:51 AM (#302092 - in reply to #301932)

Drove all the way to a lake an hour away towing my boat with a buddy's truck and for some stupid reason before this incident I kept my boat keys in my truck so at the ramp when I was getting everything ready I realised I had everything but the boat keys...drove all the way home and didn't get to fish that day...boat keys don't leave the boat now.
Musky Brian
Posted 2/19/2008 9:28 AM (#302104 - in reply to #302092)

man, I don't even know where to begin...

A few years back I was fall fishing in Canada out of a bassboat in the back. I put my rod down so the lure was hanging in the water and got out my camera to take a picture of some fall scenery. As I am taking the photo and look down I notice my rod has gone overboard somehow and is slowly sinking and drifting backwards as our boat is moving forward. I immediately kneel down on the back deck and reach my arm out to grab the rod. Well, a waxed bassboat is pracically a waterslide. I go sliding right into the lake headfirst, AS I am still holding the camera in one hand. During my struggle of wearing 10 layers in cold fall water, I lose the rod and it sinks to the bottom and the camera is obviously now busted. Did manage to drag the rod up with a bulldawg 30 mins later as we were about to give up...
musky-skunk
Posted 2/19/2008 9:29 AM (#302105 - in reply to #301932)

On a calm evening with no wind and sitting perfectly still casting to a weed edge I managed to fall in the lake. A busy road went by the bay I was in so I'm sure I gave a few people a laugh.

A different time on a timbered resevoir I had the trolling motor going hard to the right when it hit a stump and I went flying into the lake that time also, no one around to laugh at me that time.
Brad
Posted 2/19/2008 9:56 AM (#302114 - in reply to #301932)

I thought standing in a boat casting for muskies for 14 hours was the dumbest thing........ at least that's what my wife keeps telling me.

Brad
Blummingflower
Posted 2/19/2008 10:28 AM (#302125 - in reply to #301932)

I have a dumb habit of tearing up trolling motors.Leaving'em down when I go to leave under power or trying to put my boat on a trailer with them down.Oh well the tally up to 3 of them now
The best forgot the plug story happen acouple years ago fishing with another MF member.He'd talked of driving home from minnesota in the pouring rain and talk about pulling the plug in the driveway to let the water out of his boat and just amazied at all the water the bilge kept taking out til it dawns on us that maybe?????????the plug's not in.It was a good thing we where trolling that forsure.Blummer

Edited by Blummingflower 2/19/2008 10:40 AM
Jump to page : 1 2
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)