Muskie Discussion Forums

Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Language | Blogs Search | Statistics | User Listing
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )
Moderators: Slamr

View previous thread :: View next thread
Jump to page : 1 2
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]

Muskie Fishing -> General Discussion -> Anyone Remember?

Message Subject: Anyone Remember?
JeffPaasch
Posted 2/13/2008 3:42 PM (#300797)
Subject: Anyone Remember?

Does anyone remember when it didn't cost $100,000 to catch a musky? I caught my first musky when I was 12 years old on Pelican Lake Wisconsin in a 14 ft aluminum boat with a 9.9 mercury on the back, no electronics, a set of oars for a trolling motor, a 5 1/2 ft south bend rod and a 20 year old ambassadeur 5000 with cortland dacron line 27 lb I think, and finally a black and white suick that barely had any paint left on it. No net and very little idea of what I was doing. I drove 200 yards off the end of the dock on the north shore and balancing on the rear bench seat I followed a line I had seen Steve Worrall drift earlier that day, down to Sabinois Point. That was the coolest 35 incher I ever caught. The year was 1986. I caught a lot of muskies after that in that same rig either on the north side, on Sabinois Point, or bravign the run across the lake to drift the weeds in Treacherous Bay. Today I have a $35,000 Ranger, 15 rods in the $200 range, with an equal cache of reels most in excess of $200. A matching set of Lakewood Extremes loaded with everythign you can imagine, 3 sonars, GPS, and 2 of everything that a good musky fisherman should have at his disposal.

I did pretty well back in the day, which leads me to wonder...do I really catch any more fish today per hour on the water as I did then...Maybe, maybe not. Interesting to think about though.
bn
Posted 2/13/2008 3:57 PM (#300802 - in reply to #300797)
Subject: RE: Anyone Remember?

definitely doesn't take that much money in a boat to boat a lot of ski's. Many of us in Madison have "cabin boats" up north that might only be worth a couple thousand to maybe 5k tops for some..it allows us to not have to pull our bigger glass boats up there and I enjoy fishing out of the old bass tracker.
take a few rods, a few plano's and head north and we seem to do alright..anyone that thinks they need lots of gear and a fancy Ranger to catch big ski's is missing out !
Troyz.
Posted 2/13/2008 3:59 PM (#300803 - in reply to #300797)

Good example of what happens when you become addicted to the sport. Yes we do over complicate many things.

Troyz
jpine
Posted 2/13/2008 4:30 PM (#300813 - in reply to #300797)
Subject: Re: Anyone Remember?

Someone once said "Some men drink, some men gamble, I buy fishing rods, and there it is." I am jealous of your ranger though, I spent a $100k and a all I got out of it was an ex-wife. The good thing is, I guess it's not that complicated anymore.
12gauge
Posted 2/13/2008 5:08 PM (#300828 - in reply to #300797)

All part of guys begging for attention. Whether we think all that stuff is going to get us a bigger fish or we think all that stuff is necessary to make us LOOK like we catch bigger fish i don't know, but it can get nuts. Now this sounds stupid, but i catch most of my muskies when not guiding out of a canoe with an old rod and ambassadeur reel from 1979, just to keep my good stuff good for clients and friends. I catch more muskies out of a canoe with a rod/reel as old as i am than any other way. Coinsidence?
MuskieTom
Posted 2/13/2008 6:26 PM (#300843 - in reply to #300797)

SVT and I fish out of a 12 aluminum boat w/a electric trolling motor, and ask SVT how many fish he got this year, No gps no sonar just fish, i caught my 1st when i was 18 blind luck bass fishing and cant stop
gtp888
Posted 2/13/2008 7:28 PM (#300857 - in reply to #300797)

Jeff and Brad make some good points.

Reminds me somewhat of playing golf. When you go to the clubhouse to check in and are serious about being paired with a good player, all you need to do is look outside for a well worn golf bag that contains a set of older, forged irons that all have a spot worn right in the middle of the club face. THIS is a player! Ask to be paired with that guy! You'll learn a lot. The ones to stay away from are the guys with the giant staff bag, new driver, the latest/greatest irons, and a shiny new putter. Most times what that amounts to is $7k worth of equipment and $.89 worth of game.

Now, I don't mean to put down anyone with a lot of nice fishing equipment. That is not my intent at all. The golf analogy doesn't necessarily ring true here, it's just that the story Jeff told reminded me of some of the golfers I've seen. Fishing is a bit different...you can have some really nice stuff and be a heck of a fisherman. It may even help as Jeff pointed out. Just made me reminisce a bit about my youth, too.
Clark A
Posted 2/13/2008 7:37 PM (#300858 - in reply to #300797)

Quality of time on the water is how one should measure their own success, but it sounds like you are doing pretty well these days! I got my first 10 years before your first off of Sabinois Point. Pelican was a much better lake in the mid 70's through the early 90's (#'s wise at least). I don't have the best boat, but I do use all the updated tackle and electronics, and yes, the good stuff and 33 years experience has helped me increase my overall hourly catch rate. This past year I know I could have gotten by with a cheap LCD depth finder and my Lowrance 334iC GPS. I think the GPS is the biggest asset that has become recently available to anglers that fish larger bodies of water than any other "device". I don't miss cotten nets, the wall of DEATH at Theil's (yes I was even up there a few times), or any bucktail made by the Worth company! I do miss the beautiful weeds that were off of Sabinois and the North Shore, and fishing the "Town Bar" (not the one off of McCarthy's Island) and watching the train go through downtown Pelican Lake.

Edited by Clark A 2/14/2008 10:07 AM
curleytail
Posted 2/13/2008 7:56 PM (#300863 - in reply to #300797)

Weelllllll.... It doesn't have to cost 100K if you don't have that much to spend. I fish out of a 1995 16 foot Sea Nymph with a 40 horse Evinrude tiller. It wasn't an expensive boat, but I carried out a lot of grocerys to buy that rig when I was 16. Five seasons later it is still going strong. It has an eagle Optima in the back that came with the boat, and a Vexilar FL-8SLT in the front that I use for ice fishing. I've probably had the flasher for 8 years now. I did upgrade the bowmount to a 65 pound Maxxum that I bought used for $350. I ususally have two main rods in the rotation - one combo was $100 used and the other about $160, but almost entirely bought with gift cards. I do have about 30 baits in a medium Lakewood, so there is a few hundred dollars there. Also have a frabill net for around $120.

Add in a pair of Knipex and some other tools for about $70.

I pull everything to the lake with a 1996 1/2 ton Chevy with 103,000 miles. It's older but in good shape. Bought it for $7,000 and plan on running it for at least 5 more years.

I am looking for a newer used boat, so that will add to the cost.

BUT, I don't have ALL that much into musky fishing. I still have a fairly low paying part-time job, and an a full time college student. Do I save a lot of money? You bet? Am I going out spending money drinking and buying stuff whenever I feel like it? Not a chance.

I realize what you are saying about how we all want, or feel like we need so much stuff. I agree, I hope some day I can have an expensive Ranger or Tuffy, color GPS, side imaging sonar, and all the bells and whistles. I'd also like a bunch of Professional Edge rods outfitted with Calcuttas and a ton of baits riding along. Some of that equipment helps you catch more fish, some of it just makes fishing more enjoyable.

I'm not trying to sound like a whiner. I really don't mind being on a budget, lots of guys are. But, I was worried I wouldn't be able to start musky fishing. The rods and reels cost more, the baits cost more and some don't last that long, you need a different net, hook removal tools, etc. It kept me from getting started for lots of years but it shouldn't. I started with one rod and reel and a few baits, then expanded some after that. I catch quite a few (in my opinion) fish with my basic equipment too dang nabbit!

Hopefully I didn't take too much from the fun of this thread. I just wanted to let some new fisherman know that if you are on a budget, you can still afford to fish. Don't let limited funds keep you from doing one of the best activities you can do.

Now paying for the gas to go fishing on the other hand...THAT SUCKS!

curleytail

Edited by curleytail 2/13/2008 7:59 PM
jerryb
Posted 2/13/2008 8:47 PM (#300876 - in reply to #300797)

There is some good stuff on this thread, some real heart felt truths. I think the one that struck me the most was the golf analogy, cause that's exactly the way I see it too, What great line:

"$7k worth of equipment and $.89 worth of game".

"Some" forget what "tools" got em those fish..... and some never forget!
PIKEMASTER
Posted 2/14/2008 8:16 AM (#300928 - in reply to #300797)

$100,000 is just for the Ranger Boat and a Suburban, I need another $5,000 for Rods and Reels, and another $10,000 for baits, and another $5,000 for Misc.
nwild
Posted 2/14/2008 8:42 AM (#300934 - in reply to #300928)

Wow Jeff, do you bring back memories. My very first musky caught fishing for them wasn't far from where you speak. It was also caught in a boat that would be much less than what I am used to today. If I remember right I had about three bucktails and a suick to choose from. Oh yeah, and we caught fish like that.

Fast forward a whole bunch of years, fancy Tuffy with a 200 hp Suzuki. Color GPS and Sonars front and back. A trolling motor with as much ooomph as the old outboard. And enough baits, rods, and reels to buy the old rig 5 times over. Would I like to go back to the simpler old days..................NO WAY. The new stuff is way too much fun!
MACK
Posted 2/14/2008 9:22 AM (#300947 - in reply to #300797)

You certainly do not NEED the biggest and best equipment out there.

The truck does not catch the fish.

The boat does not catch the fish.

The biggest, most powerful and colorful GPS/fish finder unit does not catch the fish.

The rod and reel do not catch the fish.

The skill of the angler and any bait moving in the water, could be as simple as a rubber worm on a hook, moving in front of that opportunistic feeder is what catches the fish.

The rest of that stuff...just catches the angler through marketing.

The rest is just luxury items that are not necessary at all.

I too remember back on the simple times, not that my times right now are complicated, because, I too, am on a budget and I'm very happy with what I have.

I remember when this madness started for me. I was introduced to muskie and pike fishing from my uncle. He was familiar with a lake in Michigan prior to our entire family and extended family going to this specific lake for what turned out to be a huge family reunion there on that lake, every summer for a week in July that lasted for 13 years straight.

He'd take me out fishing, casting baits and trolling baits. He'd hook up a few times and show me the potential of those fish.

It all came down to one day, my uncle was busy doing other things with the relatives and my cousin and I were chomping at the bit, to catch our own muskie and pike on our own, targeting those two fish specifically that week.

On this specific lake, there was this huge pier that extended out quite a ways onto that lake...which the end of that pier, ended right near one of the areas my uncle always continued to work while casting and even trolling...there was a nice weedline there and a decent drop off there, just within casting distance off of the end of that pier.

My cousin and I, back that then on that summer July day in 1982...when I was just 8 years old...we'd go out there and cast off the end of that pier while our younger cousins were forced to take naps. LOL!

He and I would go out there with what gear we had to use at that time, which wasn't much.

There that day, I remember it like it was 10 minutes ago....I was casting a simple, red & white Daredevil spoon...and thought I had the typical snag of weeds on the end at one moment, until I started to get that bait closer to the pier only to look down and see a 30" Northern tugging on the other end! That got me going as that was my first Esox. A short time later, off the end of the same pier, same trip that week that summer in '82...back out casting, this time with a simple perch colored Rapala Shad Rap (not even a Super Shad Rap mind you) was all it took to land my first muskie!

I had interest in those fish prior to '82 and was with my uncle when he'd catch them, but it wasn't until my "firsts" happened in '82 do I consider my "start" into this madness.

From then on...I'd go to the library and check out (rent) hardcover BOOKS that were in print that talked of pike and muskie fishing.

So...after chasing these fish for going on 26 years.....I still don't have the biggest or "best" boat, nor the most expensive rods and reels, because, to me...that stuff is not necessary to have fun and get the job done, nor...can I afford it even if I thought I'd be interested in that stuff.

I have a simple, 1997 Crestliner 1750 boat with a 'lil 90 hp outboard..that does me just fine. Best of all...I paid cash for it. No loan or boat payments. It takes me where I need/want to go and that's all that matters. I'm not out there to gain the attention or to get their "approval" from other anglers. I'm not out there for them...I'm out there for me.

I do have way too many baits nowadays though! LOL!

But..I'm also not just narrowly focused on just muskie/pike. I've always been a multi-species angler.

Muskie fishing can certainly be done on a budget and with some simple tools. Yes...the well being of the fish is at the forefront of my mind, which is why I have some over-the-top equipment to help aid me in successful, quick and clean releases...but...a lot of that stuff does take a lot of the sport out of the art of fishing too. Anyone can yank a fish off the bottom of a lake with a massive fishing rod and no-stretch line that at times...can be nearly compared to rope...sure there's still some skill that is required, even when using those massive tools.....but......not nearly as much as it would take if you had lesser tools...

I think a lot of people get caught up in "trying to keep up with the Jones" and feel the need to look the best, have the best to "portray" that they might be the best. That all reminds me of some of the "posers" that had the best bikes on the block back in my heyday of BMX/Freestyle biking back in the '80s and '90s...the bike doesn't perform the tricks nor does the bike win the races....the individual on that bike is what makes that bike perform and win the races.

Edited by MACK 2/14/2008 9:25 AM
Reef Hawg
Posted 2/14/2008 9:47 AM (#300955 - in reply to #300797)

I think most agree that $$ can only buy neat stuff, not knowledge or fish. Most of the great Musky fishermen I know, fish out of rigs that do not draw attention to themselves. Going in-burrito is a good way to fish, especially today. Heck, my lcx 25c is worth more than the brown streak it's in(1984 esox mag wannabe), and the wheels on the trailer of that rig would fetch more $$ at a garage sale than the river beater we run..heheh.

Surely, bigger more dependable boats are better for all the reasons people own them for. However, don't think for a second that the cat cruising by with the Tuffy matching the equally sparkly SUV in the lot, is any more worthy of the inquisitive glance than the dude who just putted past in the old Lund shell lake guide boat, 20 HP Johnson, with the Marine-Tex patches on the side in place of Musky Hunter/St Croix decals.

Edited by Reef Hawg 2/14/2008 9:50 AM
C.Painter
Posted 2/14/2008 9:57 AM (#300958 - in reply to #300797)

J-
I learned a lot from that man you reference...old lund...marine-tex patch job...and upside down cheap depthfinder (with fish ID ON!@!!)...no GPS...and catches a pile of fish...

I too have found pleasure in fishing from the basics....fish more now out of my beater than the sparkly tuffy....however, Got to have the GPS :-))

last year I rarely had more then a small box of lures with me....most of the others hung on the wall...

Tools...we just need the tools...

a boat, a motor, a trolling motor, depthfinder, and GPS...for me these are the tools...how nice they are are dependent on how/where you fish as to the importance of that aspect of the tool...

On 200 acre WI lakes...old 14 foot fiberglass lund

BUT...if Mill Lacs...well that tool called a boat needs a little more investment.

Cory
sworrall
Posted 2/14/2008 10:08 AM (#300962 - in reply to #300797)

I remember too. Pelican was my very early middle, not beginning thanks to my Dad, but MAN what a way to hit the ground running. I love that water still, and miss what it was before the invasives, but will not miss the stocking and 'numbers' status the lake ended up showing during the early 90's. I beagn fishing that puddle out of a 14' boat with a 6 horse Evinrude.
LOTWbeachbum
Posted 2/14/2008 10:14 AM (#300965 - in reply to #300797)

7 years old....Standing on the bench seat of an old Cal's resort Kicker boat, backtrolling with your left foot steering the tiller, learning how to cast both left and right handed, over the top or flippin'.....dropping an anchor in the river while a an older lady (babysitter) sunbathed in the boat and I casted until my arms fell off.... some of my best memories are the simplest ones....

I want the same for my son.

Sometimes the best lessons are the ones you work for.... the simplest ones... sure we all enjoy the creature comforts of any pursuit but getting back to the basics should be a routine goal of everyone.... take a kid fishing.... they're not impressed with the size/cost of your boat.... the want the tug on the line...just like me.
out

LOTWbeachbum
Posted 2/14/2008 10:20 AM (#300969 - in reply to #300797)

MACK - just went back and read your comment about "POSERS"

sweet - thought I was the only old school freestyler left in the world... bought my own bike back in the day - went through a second hand Redline before I EARNED enough money on my own to buy a HARO Master back in 1989...

To this day, I love that bike like I now love my GLoomis... better when it's worked for eh?

Live to Ride
Ride to live
bn
Posted 2/14/2008 10:23 AM (#300972 - in reply to #300797)

wow, bringing back to my high school days guys with that Haro/Redline talk...I wish I could remember the top of the line model GT I bought in 1987...it was all black...black mags...sweet freestyle bike...
I was into all those x games sports back then too...skatin, freestyle bmx, I still have a board or 2 somewhere...

jonnysled
Posted 2/14/2008 10:33 AM (#300973 - in reply to #300797)

a 12' alumacraft and a 7hp chrysler for me ... had to have a cynder-block or the dog in the front to keep the nose down ... 6' st. croix's with abus and dacron ... no net. i still remember the day i upgraded to that 8hp mariner ... wow, what a difference ... i hit the big-time.

i remember we played around one day and i ran two outboards on the back at the same time and pulled my buddy on a home-made knee-board (a piece of plywood we found in the shed) ... that was a hoot! those were the days growing up on cedar lake in new prague, minnesota ... they have tigers in there now ... gotta get over there someday and fish again ...

now a 20' ranger with color screens, pro-edge, calcuttas ... and on and on and on
MACK
Posted 2/14/2008 10:38 AM (#300974 - in reply to #300797)

Well...not to hijack this thread...I could go on for days and hours on the BMX/Freestyle talk as that is a huge passion of mine, still to this day, even though I've not actively been involved since my college days...but..yeah....I bought all of my own gear and bikes and paid for a lot of the trips around the country doing shows and racing in races. I was one that walked the walk. I did have some good stuff...as I was a "sponsored support team rider" for GT and Odyssey back in they day..not to be confused with a full-ride full sponsor..no....it was what they considered the support team rider that would help promote the products and pass out stickers and hang banners wherever we were at that time, I'd get floated a few free parts here and there, but mostly I still had to pay for my own parts but often at discounted pricing.

I'd go through parts left and right...I was hard on parts, breaking and bending stuff.

To this day..still in my garage I have my GT Pro Freestyle Tour Team Model all decked out, the GT Pro Agressor, etc...whic are both, now by today's standards, old. But back then..they were the shiznit.

I can't tell you how many Diamond Backs I went through and yeah..had tons of friends on the Haros and the Redlines.

But there were always those individuals out there that were handed these amazing bikes that were great to look at...but when it came down to it..they were the individuals sitting there on the side, watching the rest of us fall from great heights, getting all battered and broken up and bleeding all over the place and had bikes that looked like a Mack truck just ran them over, yet we were able to perform on them. When others had their shiny parts that they kept wiping down with wet towels to keep 'em cleaned and without even merely a scratch on the paint or the stickers or dust between the spokes.

My fishing gear today...may not look good and it may not be new and latest and greatest...but...it's all I need at this time to go out on the water to relax and have some fun. That's what fishing is for me...it's about relaxation and getting away from the stress of my day job and working in the city. When I get out on the water, I couldn't care less what I look like out on the water or which stick I'm using or which reel I'm reeling in with...just as long as the boat floats and the motor starts and the rod doesn't break and the reel doesn't break....it's all good.

Lord knows...my Crestliner is a bit tattered and tired looking and quite scratched up in places.....that's because I use it! LOL!

P.S. Oh..and yes....I still have my copy of the movie RAD on VHS at home! LOL! And years and years and years of Freestyle, BMX Action, BMX Plus, RIDE, Super BMX, etc, etc, magazines in my parents basement. My brother and I still go through those every year at Xmas time to go down memory lane......priceless....

Edited by MACK 2/14/2008 10:44 AM
Reef Hawg
Posted 2/14/2008 10:49 AM (#300976 - in reply to #300797)

Cory, I was just referencing a ghost like figure, that might be fishing out of a brown glass lund from the 70's, nobody in particular. Just sounded like a cool reference.... Heck, don't you have one of those???
KidDerringer
Posted 2/14/2008 11:30 AM (#300992 - in reply to #300797)

I have no memory.

Edited by KidDerringer 2/14/2008 12:53 PM
KidDerringer
Posted 2/14/2008 11:37 AM (#300997 - in reply to #300992)

Gezz I was alreadyb here.
Halfhymerizzzzzzzz kicked in.

Edited by KidDerringer 2/14/2008 12:55 PM
Shep
Posted 2/14/2008 11:56 AM (#301003 - in reply to #300992)

Some real young'uns here, eh, Steve? hehehe

I have memories of having tantrums in the early 60's when my Dad and Uncle would take off in the wooden Larsen, with a Merc 50 on it, and go muskie fishing. 4-5' pool que's for rods, old multi colored dacron line, and big ole baits. Busktails, red and white Heddon's and others I only remember hanging from the uncle's garage rafters. One day they came back early, and my uncle was so mad. The boat was filling with water, my dad was bailing like crazy. They got it on the lift, and my dad had to restrain the uncle. It seems as though another angler out there had a 4 footer on, and started shooting at it, before he got it near the boat! the fish was 20 yards away, and he's blasting away at this fish with a .22 pistol. Shot a hole in the uncle boat! I think it took a couple years for the uncle to let that one go! My Dad used to laugh about it every time we got up there.

I did a nostalgia outing with the uncle about 6 years ago. Used my old Tuffy, but his rods, reels, and baits. I put new Dacron on the reels, and off we went to some of his hot spots. No depth finder, but we did use the bow mount TM. Actually raised a fish, too. Never did get a good long cast from those stiff rods, and old reels. But it was fun to listen to him remeness on days spent fishing 20 years ago.

But I wouldn't trade today for anything! I like my new Tuffy 1890, Merc 200 Opti and ProKicker, Lowrance Elctronics, Minn Kota Terrova, Fig Rig Rods, Garcia and Diawa reels, and the many baits they make today. They are all tools, and just make my days on the water a pleasure. The good old days is now!
Slamr
Posted 2/14/2008 12:10 PM (#301012 - in reply to #300797)

Yeah I remember those days. The feelings they elicit for me however are things like cold, wet, and a feeling of the knowledge that a "rogue wave" (think 1'er) could take us down. Good times were had in Azrael, but not so much because of her, rather in spite of her. I miss my friends from "back in the day", the adventures we used to go on....but I dont miss re-wiring the boat every other time I went fishing, I dont miss not being able to back the boat up for fear of water coming in, and I dont miss "events" like a trailer tire SHEARING OFF while on a ramp because I hit a pot hole.

Zoom - | Zoom 100% | Zoom + | Expand / Contract | Open New window
Click to expand / contract the width of this image
(AJ_Cleaning_Boat.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments AJ_Cleaning_Boat.jpg (113KB - 146 downloads)
C.Painter
Posted 2/14/2008 12:16 PM (#301014 - in reply to #300797)

SLMR- what about when you took out the gas pump...and then the trialer would...kinda follow the tow vehicle in a straight line!!

Never forget you trying to back up that unstraightened rig down at kinkaid back in the day.....now THAT was funny!!!!

Cory

Slamr
Posted 2/14/2008 12:24 PM (#301018 - in reply to #300797)

THAT is what I'm talking about! The boat sucked, but the adventures were hilarious. Great fishing that weekend too...if trolling muddy water for hours til you fall asleep, is your thing. The entertainment was hilarious though, I remember a certain move you showed me Mr. Painter...need I elaborate?

-hitting a gas pump then driving another 75 miles with the trailer bent 30 degrees to the right.
-the boat sinking at the dock (learned a lesson about parking a boat BOW TO THE LAKE versus stern out) and having to get IN the water when it's 40 degrees out and the water temp isnt much higher, having the worst hang over of my life, then dragging it out onto shore sans trailer.
-ALMOST sinking the boat because of waves on the rough waters of a summer day in Indiana....those jet skies can churn that water up something FIERCE!
-driving through a trailer wind advisory storm...which then ended....and became a blizzard which then dumped a foot of snow on us.

I can go on and on, but a lot of it isnt fit for public consumption!
lots of luck
Posted 2/14/2008 2:43 PM (#301058 - in reply to #300797)

This is a refreshing thread. Thanks for typing this one up. I fish West Metro waters and see what the other half have and although it would be nice, I have come to accept, enjoy and be thankful for what I have.

JeffPaasch
Posted 2/14/2008 2:52 PM (#301065 - in reply to #300797)

Norm, Steve,

I know you guys have and Norm at least still does spend a lot of time on Pelican, I have learned a lot of what I know about the sport and the lake just watching you guys on the water. Steve when I was younger and Norm in more recent years. I'm sure you don't remember, Norm, but the first time I actually met you I was in a maroon and grey Ranger 681 at the time by myself in Treacherous, you were alone in your crestliner and you caught 2 in the mid 30's in about a 10 minute time span on a top raider and I came over and snapped pictures for you. That creek channel you put me on between the weedbeds that day yielded 3 fish for me later in the week, the biggest being 47. Thanks by the way.

It is amazing to me how much that lake has changed in the last 20 - 25 years. There used to be a beautiful 8 ft weedbed at the mouth of Guths Bay, and I even have a 51 incher on the wall in my office that I was in the boat for when my late father caught it. I was about 6...26-27 years ago. That bed is all but gone, there used to be a great little bed in treacherous in about 6 ft off the house with the green terraces, my first 50 incher came out of there. There are still weeds, but nothing like there used to be. I realize that is the rustys primarily that have affected that, but are those changes irreversible, or will the weeds reestablish themselves at some point.

By the way Norm, Kudos on the 50 inch limit there. It was staggerign to hear the reports that we were losing 10% of the poulation annually to catch and keep. Personally I still beat myself up a little over the only I have ever taken out of there. A mid 30's that took a suick all the way down in to the gills. I couldn't get him revived, and that was 10 years ago. Good to see that the sport and the lake have so many powerful advocates on their side.

I love the area, I still have a lot of family in Antigo, so if not Pelican where would you recommend I try to spend a little time this season. I have been on Enterprise a few times, but a guy can only go around that little lake so many times before it gets old, and she's a little tough to dump a 619 into.

It's 18 degrees, and starting to snow again in Chicago, I have sharpened all my hooks twice, oiled and respooled all my reels, and even considered filling the boat with gs already. I need to go fishing if it means throwing a suick across the driveway into a snowbank to see if the neighbors dog bites. ( No hooks of course, don't want to dull them )

Jeff

Edited by JeffPaasch 2/14/2008 3:24 PM
Jump to page : 1 2
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)