Muskie Discussion Forums

Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Language | Blogs Search | Statistics | User Listing
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

[Frozen]
Moderators: Slamr

View previous thread :: View next thread
Jump to page : 1 2
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]

Muskie Fishing -> General Discussion -> Catch and Release

Frozen
Catch and Release
OptionAdded byResults
Won't keep any musky... that can be revived anywaysmusky-skunk
Will only keep a musky if I feel it will be the world recordmusky-skunk
Will only keep a musky if I feel it will be the state recordmusky-skunk
Will keep a musky if it is my personnal bestmusky-skunk
Will keep select muskies for consumptionmusky-skunk
none of the aboveAjohnson
Won't keep any musky, even if it dies.Pointerpride102
Will keep one if I want to mountso that I can have a real fish not a fake.reelman
Will keep one if legal and I choose to.Larry Ramsell
I will decide when the moment comesmuskie! nut
Would keep a 60 pounderJerry Newman
Add your own option:

Message Subject: Catch and Release
musky-skunk
Posted 1/25/2008 3:41 PM (#296368)
Subject: Catch and Release

There has been a few interesting discussions on here lately relating to situations for releasing or keeping muskies. I am curious to see what pertcentage of Muskie Firsters practice all catch and release or some selective harvest under certain situations. This is not to be a depate or argument. This does not include what you feel is ok for OTHERS to do. This is strictly what you and you alone feel you will do on the water. By the way this is not taking into account a fish that can't be revived... I feel that is a completely different ball game. This only relates to healthy fish you have a choice to either keep or release.
Ajohnson
Posted 1/25/2008 3:48 PM (#296369 - in reply to #296368)
Subject: Re: Catch and Release

shes going back no matter what.....if its a possible world record take some pics and hope people believe you....its not worth the fishes life.

Edited by Ajohnson 1/25/2008 3:49 PM
ron f
Posted 1/25/2008 3:58 PM (#296372 - in reply to #296368)

all my fish return from where they from dead or alive,big like small.
musky-skunk
Posted 1/25/2008 4:07 PM (#296374 - in reply to #296368)
Subject: RE: Catch and Release

For the record the top option basically means no matter what. I put for fish that can be revived to attempt to prevent that becoming an argument on this thread.
Just assume the fish in question could be revived.
Pointerpride102
Posted 1/25/2008 4:12 PM (#296377 - in reply to #296368)

I added my option of not keeping any even if it dies because it would be good for the system even if just decomposes.
bobski
Posted 1/25/2008 4:32 PM (#296381 - in reply to #296368)

thought about adding "Will keep every legal until there is no more wall space in the Bar I own in Pipe WI." but then people might actually think I'm that guy....

Edited by bobski 1/25/2008 4:56 PM
esoxaddict
Posted 1/25/2008 4:47 PM (#296384 - in reply to #296381)

that's ok Bob, I was gonna add "keep long enough to transport it to a place where I KNOW it would be happier, and have a better muskie life, somewhere where I could maybe visit it again, where it can swim around with a bunch of other big muskies and do whatever it is muskies do when they're not eating..."

But then I wouldn't ever do that, and I wouldn't want people to think I'm that guy.
muskellunged
Posted 1/25/2008 5:29 PM (#296388 - in reply to #296368)

I asked myself this and decided I am keeping the world record musky(should I catch it), and any irrevivable musky that I encounter, & I will confiscate their cleithera bones and donate them to the state's DNR for research.
esox50
Posted 1/25/2008 6:33 PM (#296396 - in reply to #296388)

muskellunged - 1/25/2008 5:29 PM
& I will confiscate their cleithera bones and donate them to the state's DNR for research.

I thought the same thing!

I used to say I was a 99.9% C&R fisherman, but now even the thought of keeping a possible world record makes me uneasy. First, it's the "possible" that's the kicker. I'd hate to be wrong if the world record was what I was shooting for. No prize for 2nd place, IMO. Second, the flak you'd receive catching and killing it (here some people might disagree... but look at the comments flying around Gelb's two monster fish and some of the heavy Mille Lacs fish that have been kept), for me, out weighs the gratitude of seeing my name next to "World Record". I'd take a bunch of pics, document the heck out of it, show it to friends, and let the story end there.

Nonetheless, should someone catch a giant I would not berate them for it. Would you chastise or brow-beat someone for winning the lottery? IMO, that's essentially what we're talking about here, winning the muskie fishing "lottery."
shaley
Posted 1/25/2008 6:53 PM (#296398 - in reply to #296368)

If and when the day comes a fish dies on me then yes it will be kept as long as its a leagle. I hate seeing dead fish floating and a dead muskie floating is worse than any. I'm sure any who have seen one floating has felt their blood boil a little. Imaging what others will think of us as if they see us release a dead fish. THis sports tough enough to get people educated.

Not all fish will survive the fight and the realease no matter how perfect conditions are.
Musky Dawg
Posted 1/25/2008 7:28 PM (#296401 - in reply to #296368)

I checked off would only keep if I couldn't release it. I doubt I'll ever be fishing on waters that contain the next WR, or hook up with it for that matter. Even so, I think if one were to encounter that, there is enough technology in this world to get ahold of the right people while keeping the fish alive.
I'm not a big fish expert, but last year a friend got one in the boat with me, and we only had that fish out of the water for 10 seconds max. for some photos and it still took a good 5 minutes to release it. It was not overplayed either. Caught in fall so water temps were not high. I would much rather see the fish swim away than flop around in the bottom of my boat.
~Dawg
reelman
Posted 1/25/2008 7:30 PM (#296402 - in reply to #296368)

Fishing is an individual sport and I think some of you guys have to stop worrying about what other people think about you keeping a fish. I am not advocating keeping fish for no reason but when I hear someone say that they would be afraid to keep a fish that MIGHT not be a world record I wonder if this sport has gotten to eletist. Stop worrying what other people think and do what you think. Within reason of course.

It's funny that everybody get's bent out of shape if someone keeps a musky. Al we hear is that it's not going to be a world record if it's not released. Myquestion for you is do you say the same thing when you see someone shoot a deer?
Larry Ramsell
Posted 1/26/2008 7:23 AM (#296452 - in reply to #296402)

Some waters NEED harvest. Let's not eliminate that option. If it means a better fishery, why not?
dandy
Posted 1/26/2008 8:02 AM (#296458 - in reply to #296368)

hi guys, I fish in waters that muskie were illeagally introduced 35 years ago . Here muskie are not considered a game fish and has no protection, size, length, or limit. Muskie have destroyed the only wild brook trout fishery east of the mississippi river and are a novelty for area fishermen though the muskie are getting fairly nice in size and length 40 plus inches and 25 plus pounds.
ron f
Posted 1/26/2008 8:07 AM (#296459 - in reply to #296452)

Larry Ramsell - 1/26/2008 7:23 AM

Some waters NEED harvest. Let's not eliminate that option. If it means a better fishery, why not?
oh you tell me!why? where?
Medford Fisher
Posted 1/26/2008 8:54 AM (#296467 - in reply to #296368)

I'll release everything, but I was thinking the same thing as Mr. Ramsell before I saw he had posted it. Some waters may "need" some harvesting to better the fishery.
-Jake
Cowboyhannah
Posted 1/26/2008 9:32 AM (#296475 - in reply to #296368)

I thought about that world record deal. Hmmmm...what would I do if I really thought I had the WORLD RECORD, would I keep it?....that's a tough one....A wrestling match broke out inside my regretfully low-capacity coco-nut before the referee stepped in and reminded everyone, "That ain't happinin' NO-HOW"...world record musky....as if...

sworrall
Posted 1/26/2008 9:48 AM (#296480 - in reply to #296368)

ron f
Be careful what you ask for, if Larry decides to take the time you will be reading about 100% stocked lakes, lakes that are overpopulated, and more for a month; probably more.

I'll give this example again:
I spent a few hours with the fisheries management folks at Cave Run in Kentucky interviewing them about their take on increased size limits, genetics, and more. When asked about pressures there by some to increase the size limit to increase trophy potential, the biologist stated that the system would not do well under current management practices with a larger limit because:
1) The shad there are cyclical. Muskies stocking on the Cave is pretty impressive in numbers, and that KNOWING and in fact counting on a level of harvest that will interact with the 15% to 30% natural mortality of each year class each year.
2) The Cave is managed as a 'numbers' system as well as for trophy potential. Their data shows that about the number expected to reach upper confidence there do, and a healthy number of up and coming year classes are stocked.
3) Other game fish in the Cave are interacting and competing for forage with the Muskies. I think this is an important portion of the equasion many miss...THERE ARE OTHER ANGLERS LOOKING TO CATCH OTHER SPECIES OF FISH IN THESE WATERS, and the lakes that are mainly put and take (near zero natural reproduction) must be managed for those fish as well. We ain't the only anglers on the water.

OK, so the numbers of fish from the local hatchery (these are fish natural to the area, but when the Cave was created by damming a river habitats were forever altered, and the muskies in the Cave do not reproduce well) are stocked each year.

The biologists there KNOW the shad population can and will crash occasionally.

If harvest was much lower from the year classes across the board as a result of either new ethics or regulation, and there is the inevitable reduction in shad from a cyclical or other issue, the population of muskies overall will crash. Not enough food, and too many fish. Balancing the population and maintaining an incredible fishery like the Cave isn't as simple as us laymen would like.

No stocking, no Muskies. A 40" limit would command a WAY lower number of stocked fish. There is an incredible balance of year classes in the Cave, and the expected number reaching upper limits are there. In short, that management plan is a complete success, and the scientists don't need us off-the-edge extremists who want every single muskie in the world to have a better status than young children mucking it up with our chest thumping.

ADDING to that the fact the fish there have a much shorter lifespan( less than half what the fish in waters by you) and one begins to see the whats and why-fors.

OK, another example, up here in Northern WI. There are lakes here that are fairly sterile with not the best water chemistry to grow muskies. The forage is not fatty like shad or ciscoes, and suckers don't do well there either. A really big fish in these little northwoods gems is in the low 40" class, and the fish are not very heavy. However, the fishing is incredible, with 5 to 10 fish days possible. Little or no natural reproduction occurs, so the lake would have ZERO muskies if not managed for them. These are NUMBERS lakes, and the stocking takes place to hold the numbers at reasonable numbers anticipating harvest at an expected level. In short, these are 'numbers' lakes. Force 100% release or a size limit that means the same thing, and the DNR will no longer manage these waters for muskies for what should be obvious reasons. I LIKE fishing numbers-put-and-take waters and don't want to lose them because someone else doesn't 'get it' why we even have them in the first place.

Manage trophy potential lakes at a limit that means almost no harvest, and the biologists can work to see most of the fish reach their upper confidence limit. ALMOST the same thing as total CPR, and far more socially acceptable.

We are, sometimes, our own worst enemy. Look to the failed attempt to get a 50" limit on a group of trophy potential lakes up here and why is was so soundly defeated. AND...THINK!!!! If the DNR feels we are at 99% to 100% CPR on a body of water, they may adjust the numbers down for stocking or cease altogether if limited NR is available. The lake would progress a fishery with great numbers of fish from 36 to 48" and expected numbers reaching the upper confidence level to a very low density population (less than .3 fish per acre) and emphasis on much lower numbers but a few more making the upper confidence limit. What if the muskies there can't GET to 45" because of water chemistry, forage, and a number of other issues? As a Trophy hunter, no one fishes the lake. As a numbers seeker, no one fishes the lake. Might as well manage it for Largemouth and Bluegills.

I would refer you to this link. This gent is highly respected and is part and parcel of the vey definition of Muskie research, and knows what he's talking about.

http://muskie.outdoorsfirst.com/dl_wmv.asp?clip=480

A Caution T o Us All From My Little Soapbox:

SO as I try to explain the realities of managing the varied systems across the range of the Muskie, the above truths emerge. Because I try to present the facts of the matter, some incredibly shallow thinking individuals interpret that as a personal bias toward harvest and call me a hypocrite. Not so, THINK a bit more and spend some of the time currently spent throwing stones at anyone who suggests harvest is part of muskie management in some waters to learn more about why those waters are managed as they are. And if you don't fish those waters anyway, you REALLY need to think before you try to force your personal ethic into management practices there.

That said, I haven't intentionally killed a muskie since the concept of CPR was introduced. And, now with the great reproductions like those Rick Lax offers, I won't...no need to. If I am lucky enough to catch a 60# fish, I suspect I'll shoot some images and let her go. But that's me.

Why do you think there are lakes and rivers in Canada with 36" limits, and.....lakes and rivers with 54" limits?
fins355
Posted 1/26/2008 10:04 AM (#296484 - in reply to #296480)

Steve,
Outstanding post!! Wish I would of said that, eh? LOL!!

DougP

Edited by fins355 1/26/2008 10:07 AM
JKahler
Posted 1/26/2008 9:03 PM (#296592 - in reply to #296368)

I'll never catch a WR, but if I did I'd keep it... I suppose in the long run it wouldn't be worth it due to all the attention...but it's such a random, magnificent thing and this sport NEEDS a new WR so we can get over all the old controversy.

Basically I have no intention of keep a ski, but if it died I probably would. I would rather have a nice one on my wall than floating dead somewhere feeding the seagulls.
ESOXER
Posted 1/26/2008 10:24 PM (#296609 - in reply to #296368)

This whole subject proves one thing,

"All fishermen are liars, except you and me, and sometimes I wonder about you!"

Edited by ESOXER 1/26/2008 10:25 PM
Larry Ramsell
Posted 1/27/2008 6:51 AM (#296645 - in reply to #296609)

ron f:

Mr. Worrall pretty much covered it and I'll only add that here in Wisconsin there is a valid reason for lakes with 28" size limits; to encourage removal of excessive numbers of smaller fish to benefit the fishery. Simple!

As noted before, a new world record would be good for the sport.
Don Pfeiffer
Posted 1/27/2008 10:26 PM (#296820 - in reply to #296384)

Won't keep one even it dies! That makes no sense to me. You are saying you have a fish in your boat thats legal and dead and you'll throw it back? Thats a hell of waste of a resource. There is always someone that would be happy to fed their family.

Pfeiff
muskie-addict
Posted 1/28/2008 8:16 AM (#296851 - in reply to #296820)

Say what you want, but I'll admit it, I kept a musky once. Thing died under unexplainable circumstances, and rather than waste it, and have some other angler see it floating and come on here barking about the dead musky he found, I pickled it. Felt sick about that fish the entire day and some of the next day, but I think it was just "its time." Short fight, sub-50 degree water, netted and unhooked quickly. Can't explain it. Thing was quivering when we netted it and its gills were already pink and fading.

That fish was DEAD dead. To me, "releasing" that one would be pretty unethical. Only fish I know of that died, although I suspect at least a handful of others might not have made it as well.

Anyway.

I like that WI and other places have smaller size limits as a management tool, but to me, if muskies need to be "managed," there were probably too many stocked there in the first place. Me thinks muskies should be managed through stocking, not by keeping.

But again, when needed, I'm glad we have keeping fish as an option, in that event.
Posted 1/28/2008 8:38 AM (#296863 - in reply to #296368)

At the writing of this post there are 22 people saying they wouldn't keep a fish even if it dies. I am saddened to hear that 22 fish may some day expire to become turtle food. Doesn't this help to perpetuate the perception that we are elitests?
sorenson
Posted 1/28/2008 8:47 AM (#296865 - in reply to #296863)

Guest - 1/28/2008 7:38 AM

At the writing of this post there are 22 people saying they wouldn't keep a fish even if it dies. I am saddened to hear that 22 fish may some day expire to become turtle food. Doesn't this help to perpetuate the perception that we are elitests?

Technically, it probably also violates a State's wanton waste rule; I know it would here.
S.
MikeHulbert
Posted 1/28/2008 8:49 AM (#296867 - in reply to #296368)

Nevermind, people just don't understand

Edited by MikeHulbert 1/28/2008 10:20 AM
maxey
Posted 1/28/2008 8:53 AM (#296868 - in reply to #296368)

turtles need food too. but then again so do some peoples egos.
Heather
Posted 1/28/2008 9:18 AM (#296876 - in reply to #296867)

MikeHulbert - 1/28/2008 8:49 AM

If and when a fish dies in my boat...I am not going to keep it or allow it to be kept.

It will be let go for the other creatures to eat.

Not a waste all all in my opinion. It is feeding alot of other animals. If I want food I can go to a grocery store or get a steak at one of the millions available to us humans.

No musky is going to be stuffed into my livewell. EVER, no matter what.

Dang Dude....

A "reputable" guide like your self should look into other options. Either offer the client to take it home for table fair, or even donate to a local taxidermy shop or technical school...Rather than publicly announce that your a firm believer in Wanton Waste..

MRoberts
Posted 1/28/2008 9:23 AM (#296878 - in reply to #296368)

To those who say they wouldn’t keep a fish even if it dies. I would like to ask why? I am serious here I am very curious as to the reasoning. I mean this is not an improbability. I have seen walleye and pike die on the hook set, I am sure it’s only a matter of time before it happens with a musky for me.

I can somewhat understand the turtle food explanation, but there has to be more to it than that, becasue that does seem like waste, and it's more like crawfish food.

Thanks!

Nail A Pig!

Mike
Jump to page : 1 2
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]
Frozen
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)