Muskie Discussion Forums

Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Language | Blogs Search | Statistics | User Listing
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )
Moderators: Slamr

View previous thread :: View next thread
Jump to page : 1 2
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]

Muskie Fishing -> General Discussion -> Taking pictures while alone...

Message Subject: Taking pictures while alone...
Whoolligan
Posted 10/16/2007 3:43 PM (#279802)
Subject: Taking pictures while alone...

How do you guys do it? I have a really hard time.
I fish out of a small "pond hopper rig" when I'm here in NE, as our Lunge waters aren't big, and there is no need for a big boat. What it doesn't do, though, is give me any room to set a camera on a seat, or rig a way to take a pic.
I ask because last weekend I caught was was one of the neatest fish I've ever seen in NE waters. Not huge mind you but really outstanding colors, and I'd really have liked to gotten a picture of her.
IAJustin
Posted 10/16/2007 3:59 PM (#279803 - in reply to #279802)
Subject: Re: Taking pictures while alone...

I have a tripod I bought for $29.99 and use the timer on my digital camera - works great - take a "test" pic before you go out to figure out were you need to sit/kneel in relation to where you will set the camera.

If your organized the fish is out of the water 20-30 seconds max.

Justin
muskie! nut
Posted 10/16/2007 4:28 PM (#279805 - in reply to #279802)

Like IAJustin says. Place the camera on wide angle or even panoramic view and use the highest resolution it has. You can always crop out what you don't want, but you can't add what you don't have.

DaveG
Posted 10/16/2007 4:41 PM (#279809 - in reply to #279802)
Subject: RE: Taking pictures while alone...

You will need a tripod and a Canon camera from the powershot range which have a flip around screen so you can put the timer on and set yourself up the the frame perfectly.

http://cgi.ebay.com/NEW-CANON-POWERSHOT-S3-iS-DIGITAL-CAMERA-2GB-6-...
muskie! nut
Posted 10/16/2007 4:50 PM (#279811 - in reply to #279802)

I have an Olympus Stylus 410 and it had a remote and that works much better than a timer. The unit is also water resistance.
Slamr
Posted 10/16/2007 4:52 PM (#279813 - in reply to #279802)

http://muskie.outdoorsfirst.com/board/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=34...

http://muskie.outdoorsfirst.com/board/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=76...

http://muskie.outdoorsfirst.com/board/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=83...

http://muskie.outdoorsfirst.com/board/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=10...

Whoolligan
Posted 10/16/2007 5:15 PM (#279815 - in reply to #279802)

Thanks Slamr. I all to often forget that comprehensive search feature.
reelman
Posted 10/16/2007 5:36 PM (#279816 - in reply to #279802)

If you can't get a picture taken quickley then don't take the picture. I saw one guy last year have the fish out of the water for a godd 6 or 7 minutes so that he could get a picture of it without anybody else in the boat. When he was done he basically threw the fish back in the water. He then put the picture on every site he could find bragging about his catch.

Honestly unless it's a monster why do we need to take pictures of every fish we catch?
Whoolligan
Posted 10/16/2007 5:47 PM (#279818 - in reply to #279802)

That's a fair statement. I would simply like to have gotten a picture of this fish because of its unique colors. I've not ever seen another like it. Hence the thread, I"m bad about taking pictures anyhow. Think I have a max of two or three.
Rich W
Posted 10/16/2007 8:24 PM (#279838 - in reply to #279802)

This is the set up I use. I bought the tripod off of ebay for $2.00. It fits in the case right with the camera. Its small so I'm sure you can find a place to set it.

Rich W

Zoom - | Zoom 100% | Zoom + | Expand / Contract | Open New window
Click to expand / contract the width of this image
(Copy of DSCN0755.JPG)

(Copy of DSCN0757.JPG)

(Copy of Muskie.JPG)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments Copy of DSCN0755.JPG (66KB - 108 downloads)
Attachments Copy of DSCN0757.JPG (75KB - 103 downloads)
Attachments Copy of Muskie.JPG (95KB - 121 downloads)
JKahler
Posted 10/16/2007 11:51 PM (#279887 - in reply to #279802)

After recently catching a 50 incher alone, and not getting a picture... I made a nice mount out of some PVC materials that fits on top of a seat post (seat removed). Total cost was less than $5. I'll try and post a picture of it this weekend. My camera (cannon a95) even screws to the top of it like a tripod!
Magruter
Posted 10/17/2007 7:37 AM (#279910 - in reply to #279802)

you can try a gorilla pod, flexible arms are nice to attaching it anywhere to the boat.
http://www.amazon.com/Joby-GP1-01EN-Gorillapod-Flexible-Tripod/dp/B...

Edited by Magruter 10/17/2007 7:38 AM
Obfuscate Musky
Posted 10/17/2007 7:40 AM (#279911 - in reply to #279802)

Cell Phone Camera with a 10 second delay. Practice a few pics so you know how to get the whole Pic, right angle ect..
SHEEPHEAD
Posted 10/17/2007 8:37 AM (#279918 - in reply to #279802)

I use my butt seat up on the bow make sure it is up all the way there are lines in the seat material I line it up in the center put it on the timer and 10 seconds later wham a picture did it a few times found out exactly were to stand in back of boat.
JimLang
Posted 10/17/2007 12:10 PM (#279943 - in reply to #279918)

As stated by most, a tri-pod is the ticket. Take a few test shots, then make three locator dots on the floor/deck so when it's go time, there is no question where to place the tri-pod.

I guess I need to "tweak" my process a bit, but last month I popped this 51"er while alone in the boat and got this "ok" photo...too bad I cut the bottom part of the fish off.

(eagle_sept_07_51.JPG)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments eagle_sept_07_51.JPG (76KB - 114 downloads)
curleytail
Posted 10/17/2007 3:21 PM (#279972 - in reply to #279802)

I use a length of PVC that I stick in an empty seat base in my boat. I used to have it about 4 1/2 feet long, and took pictures standing up. Now I cut it down to maybe 2 1/2 and take my pictures kneeling. I put a cap on one end of the PVC, and put a bolt up through that. Thread the camera onto the bolt just like you would with the Tripods. If you can't picture this I could take a picture of it for you.

1.) Have fish in net (YAY!)
2.) Put whole assembly in empty seat base
3.) Set timer (mine waits 10 seconds, snaps a pic, then takes one 10 seconds later. The first picture is usually of my butt while getting the fish out of the net)
3.) Grab fish (hopefully on the first try)
4.) Smile like a doufus while camera takes picture.
5.) Put fish in water and measure with floating stick.

Quite a few of my pictures this year were taken by myself and turned out pretty well. It's a little tougher to make sure you aren't holding the fish in front of your face or something since nobody is there to tell you, but most of my pictures have at least turned out pretty well.

curleytail

(wissota 44.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments wissota 44.jpg (150KB - 130 downloads)
musky-skunk
Posted 10/18/2007 10:17 AM (#280100 - in reply to #279802)

I used a tripod this season and it worked well. However in your case you may just want to take a picture of the fish in the net/water. I think those pics look cool personally. You just won't be in the picture.

(chillin.jpg)

(chilling.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments chillin.jpg (113KB - 118 downloads)
Attachments chilling.jpg (105KB - 113 downloads)
scp
Posted 10/18/2007 10:51 AM (#280105 - in reply to #279802)

Those net pics look very cool. I think I'll try this.
lambeau
Posted 10/18/2007 6:20 PM (#280177 - in reply to #280105)

a lesson me and a buddy have both learned is when using a camera timer, be sure to stand next to or behind the camera when pushing the button to start it.

when you push the button, the camera focus locks on whatever is right in front of the camera...and if you're standing 8" in front of the camera the focus (and flash power) will be set all wrong. once you move away to be in the picture it will be out of focus, things will be underexposed, and any other lights in the picture will be exaggerated.

i place my camera on the front bump seat facing back. i shine a light on my motor cowling and use that to focus the camera by half-pushing the button. once the focus is right, i push the button all the way to start the timer, go get the fish, and then pose in front of the motor.

remember: slow is smooth, and smooth is fast.
take your time, don't rush.

here's an example of what happens when the focus is wrong or the flash is set at the wrong range from standing right in front of the camera. don't let this "alien fisherman" be you!

(win1.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments win1.jpg (82KB - 133 downloads)
curleytail
Posted 10/18/2007 10:18 PM (#280202 - in reply to #279802)

Wow, that's quite the picture Lambeau. Hope the aliens gave that fish back to us after they poked and prodded it, lol. That is a good tip though about not standing in front of the camera. I stand behind the camera so I can look at the screen to make sure I have the timer set right. Then stand next to the camera (so I am closer to the net and don't have to go around the camera), hold the button half way to focus, push it down to start the timer and get the fish.

Good tip on slow is smooth, and smooth is fast too (good movie by the way). I take the rifleman's approach to grabbing the fish, which is somewhat similar. I hurry to the net after snapping the button down, but try to go easy and smooth while grabbing the fish (same as mount the gun quick, but take your time aiming).

You get better at it the more times you do it. Just wish I got to do it more!

curleytail
big gun
Posted 10/19/2007 7:56 AM (#280226 - in reply to #279802)

Lately, I have been having a strong urge to make a road trip to Devils tower. Must have been something about being hit by a beam of light. BG
Marc J
Posted 10/19/2007 4:51 PM (#280383 - in reply to #280226)

We all need a good excuse to post a pic. This is not my biggest fish, rather average, but defintely one of my favorite pics. Before I went out that night I set the camera up on the front casting seat and posed with a big towel to make sure I had the spacing right.

This one took me two tries, fish was out of the water for only about 30 seconds, and the slight angle really shows the best parts of the fish. It was extremely windy that night too, the seat was rocking and I was bouncing in the waves, so for someone who usually takes crappy pics I like this one.

Edited by Marc J 10/19/2007 5:01 PM

(44musky1.JPG)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments 44musky1.JPG (41KB - 108 downloads)
Will Schultz
Posted 10/19/2007 7:10 PM (#280405 - in reply to #279802)

If you have a windsheild on your boat this works really well.

Edited by Will Schultz 10/19/2007 7:11 PM
Blue Pike
Posted 10/20/2007 2:29 PM (#280501 - in reply to #279802)

Ram makes a very nice camera mount. The one I have works great.

http://www.ram-mount.com/camera_mount/camera_mounts.htm
Judy
Posted 2/15/2008 1:21 PM (#301299 - in reply to #279809)

how do i set the timer on the cannon super shot
g3 camera?
TECK
Posted 2/15/2008 4:00 PM (#301328 - in reply to #301299)

I have a Olympus camera with a remote. I also have a adapter for a ram mount.
It takes to long to set up . It would have to be so big I would not be able to get it in the net anyhow.
erico
Posted 2/16/2008 7:24 AM (#301412 - in reply to #279802)

Another thing to try, with most digitals, you can take movies and then grab frames on your computer. You don't have to worry about that ONE timer shot turning out if you don't have a remote and you can get different angles on your fish. With the fish still in the net over the side of the boat, I put the camera on the butt seat in the bow and hit record grab the fish sit down then let her go. The fish below was out of the water for 19 seconds. Here's a couple of pics from a movie last October by myself. Camera is a Cannon Power Shot S3 IS.

Edited by erico 2/16/2008 7:31 AM

(1012072.jpg)

(1012075.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments 1012072.jpg (27KB - 110 downloads)
Attachments 1012075.jpg (41KB - 107 downloads)
esoxfly
Posted 3/1/2008 1:12 AM (#304831 - in reply to #301412)

erico - 2/16/2008 5:24 AM

Another thing to try, with most digitals, you can take movies and then grab frames on your computer.

I like that idea. How does one go about that? Does that take special programming, or is it something simple like Window Media or something like that?

Jeff
jamie
Posted 3/4/2008 3:14 PM (#305500 - in reply to #279802)

Ahhh... A question right up my alley.
We have an entire write up on this. But I dont think I can go listing my link. You know where to find me anyway.
We endorse the Joby Gorillapod. We also use Canon Powershots and SLR's. We get the cameras ready BEFORE we even get the fishing gear ready.

I'll put up a couple tips.
1) Be ready!
2) know your settings and if you have a boat partner make sure he knows them too...BEFORE you go out.
3) Use the highest settings!
4) DO NOT use a panaramic or landscape setting! Cropping a big picture is NOT the way to go. Set your camera BEFORE you go out and look in the viewfinder to see where to sit in the frame.
5) Don't rely on a video still shot if you want a quality shot. For a 3" x 5" shot it's ok. But for...well..what we do..it's not gonna work.
6) Use a flash. Even at high noon on a 120 degree day in the middle of the desert..USE A FLASH.

I have a bunch more tips if anyone wants them.

We see hundreds and hundreds of fish photos every year.So trust me on the tips. We know good ones and bad ones. There's a HUGE difference and it only takes one little mistake to make that difference.

lambeau
Posted 3/4/2008 7:17 PM (#305542 - in reply to #279802)

no problem with mentioning your website in this thread, Jamie...it's directly related to the discussion about taking good pictures.
here is the tip-sheet i lifted from his CustomFish website.
like he said, these guys see a LOT of pictures, so this is good advice.
http://www.customfish.com/

Tip #1: Use a flash.
If you use the flash, it doesn't matter where the sun is. That is the point of the flash. But try to have the sun behind the camera.

Tip #2: Hold up that fish!
Don't lay the fish down on any surface. Pull the fish out of the water, hold it up for a photo and then get it back in the water. Laying the fish on the ground or floor will harm the fish. Hold large fish (i.e. muskies and pike) horizontally. A vertical hold will injure the jaw and internal organs of a larger fish.

Tip #3: Minimize the background.
Fill up the photo with angler and fish. The background may be a nice scene, but save it for another shot. The trophy picture is what you're after here. We don't want to charge you for wasted background.

Tip #4: Quality over quantity.
Use the highest resolution possible on your digital camera or the best film for your 35mm. This is a once in a lifetime shot we're talking about here...don't risk a bad shot by using bad settings.

Tip #5: Be ready!
Before you set out on the water, have your photography equipment ready and accessible. The general rule is: When you take the fish out of the water for unhooking and a photo, start holding your breath. When you've run out so has the fish.

Tip #6: Original is good!
No need to save it as a small jpeg. In order to achieve a high quality print, [use the biggest possible original].
Jump to page : 1 2
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)