Muskie Discussion Forums

Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Language | Blogs Search | Statistics | User Listing
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )
Moderators: Slamr

View previous thread :: View next thread
Jump to page : 1 2
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]

Muskie Fishing -> General Discussion -> "Immediate release" defined

Message Subject: "Immediate release" defined
stinger
Posted 5/24/2007 9:22 AM (#257674)
Subject: "Immediate release" defined

From Mpls StarTribune:

For years, DNR regulations stated that fish caught illegally -- out of season or within a protected slot limit -- must be "immediately released." But it was never clear what that meant. Could you keep the fish long enough to photograph it? Now you can. Here's what the new law says:

"Immediately released" or "immediately returned to the water" means that a fish must not be retained longer than is needed at the site of capture to unhook, identify, measure, or photograph the fish.

Placing a fish on a stringer, in a live well or cooler, bucket or other container is not "immediately released" or "immediately returned to the water."

http://www.startribune.com/outdoors/story/1193341.html
Trophymuskie
Posted 5/24/2007 6:50 PM (#257797 - in reply to #257674)
Subject: Re: "Immediate release" defined

That can't be good for OOS catches.
Ranger
Posted 5/24/2007 7:42 PM (#257804 - in reply to #257674)

In less time than you can hold your own breath.

Edited by Ranger 5/24/2007 7:51 PM
BALDY
Posted 5/24/2007 9:00 PM (#257818 - in reply to #257674)

Part of me wishes they would have left photograph out of there...
Reelwise
Posted 5/24/2007 9:18 PM (#257821 - in reply to #257818)

BALDY - 5/24/2007 9:00 PM

Part of me wishes they would have left photograph out of there...

Why what is the big deal?
anon
Posted 5/24/2007 10:14 PM (#257834 - in reply to #257674)
Subject: RE: "Immediate release" defined

So here is the million dollar question . . . Where does waiting for a judgeboat with a fish in the net, in the water fall into this definition?

How will this effect the PMTT on Cass this year and judgeboat tournaments in the future?
sworrall
Posted 5/24/2007 10:22 PM (#257835 - in reply to #257834)

Would have to be a muskie that isn't of legal size or out of season, from what I see. Hartman's events indicate how it can be done.
Muskie Treats
Posted 5/25/2007 8:55 AM (#257891 - in reply to #257674)

Apparently the PMTT went into a meeting with Commissioner Holsten the other day with their lawyers in tow. I haven't heard anything about the outcome yet.
Tim Widlacki
Posted 5/25/2007 9:14 PM (#258040 - in reply to #257674)

Hey Shawn,

You haven't heard an outcome yet because there hasn't been a meeting with Commissioner Holsten or anyone from the MDNR or the state of Minnesota ever, let alone with lawyers in tow. It's amazing how these rumors start and spread.

Take care,

Tim

sworrall
Posted 5/25/2007 9:30 PM (#258042 - in reply to #257674)

One more rumor dispelled...

I heard that this was all about a cure for Nightmare's boat.....
steelysngr
Posted 5/25/2007 9:47 PM (#258044 - in reply to #257674)

fish caught illegally does that mean a snagged fish as well? because people posing for a picture of a foul hooked fish is pretty stupid.
sworrall
Posted 5/25/2007 10:06 PM (#258048 - in reply to #257674)

Sheesh.
tfootstalker
Posted 5/26/2007 5:40 PM (#258096 - in reply to #257674)

I think Worral has it right. If you are waiting for the judge boat that means the fish must be of legal size anyway to register right? I would think they could throw in a stipulation. Sort of an "exception" that would go along with the tournament application/permit. All registered tourney anglers could be exempt or something along those lines.
Muskie Treats
Posted 5/26/2007 6:08 PM (#258100 - in reply to #257674)

Sorry Tim. That's what I heard from a normally reliable source.
castmaster
Posted 5/26/2007 7:06 PM (#258107 - in reply to #257674)

"Sort of an "exception" that would go along with the tournament application/permit. All registered tourney anglers could be exempt or something along those lines."

No they should be required to follow the same rules as anyone else on the water. Mr. Hartmans tourneys proved that those events can be held successfully without judge boats. Besides as others have stated it would need to be a legal size fish in order to be scored so its kind of a moot point at this time.
Top H2O
Posted 5/27/2007 1:44 AM (#258146 - in reply to #258107)

Castmaster,

Are all of the MMTT events going to be a minimum 48" limit ???

Does holding a fish in the net for a minute or two (in the water ) KILL the fish ?????

I fish both circuits, Do you ????

In the last 3 years I personally have NOT heard of a dead fish attributed to a judge boat format tourney...... HAVE YOU ??????

If an origination wants to have a tourney with a 40" min. requirement and the( LAW) says that it's OK to " unhook, measure, identify ,photo, and release that fish , Where is there a problem.?????????????????????

If I catch a 43" fish and net "said" fish (ITS STILL IN THE WATER, ITS OWN ENVIRONMENT.) It's not in a bucket,live well, cooler, other container, or on a stringer,.... I'M still within the law to measure, and photo such a fish.........

I can tell you have never fished a judge boat format before have you????
Don't RIP it until you've tried it or better yet been a judge.

Thanks, Jerome
john skarie
Posted 5/27/2007 7:55 AM (#258160 - in reply to #257674)

What sense does it make to allow tournaments special regulations?

At what point do you say one group can do this and another can't?

Why should tournament anglers be given a variance to the law?

It's obvious that Hartman's tournaments, and other MI tournaments in MN will have no problem running with the new size limits and laws.

Seems to me the PMTT, or others who have utilized the judge boat formats should be able to change and adapt like everyone else does, or hold events in other states where they don't have to change if they don't want to.

JS
OldTimer
Posted 5/27/2007 10:27 AM (#258182 - in reply to #258160)

Am i reading this correctly that the new law allows the Hartman MMTT events photo format but will preclude the PMTT judge boat format?

If so, I'm ok with that.

Mr. Hartman is a local who has been running a "fish-first" format long before anyone forced him to do so, and if this law forces other events to follow his lead, I'm all for it.

Mr. Hartman's tourney trail gives an awful lot back to the resource in Minnesota.
What does the PMTT give back?

I'm not saying that judge-boat tournaments are bad, per se, and I have fished all kinds and will continue to do so: photo, judge boat, and transport. Of the different ones, my experience is that the photo format was best for the fish. If someone was successful in getting that put into law, more power to them.

Minnesota is acting to protect a very valuable and high-demand resource. As Mr. Skarie said, the other tournaments will just have to adapt to the new rules in Minnesota or else go elsewhere.
Top H2O
Posted 5/27/2007 1:21 PM (#258191 - in reply to #258182)

When you guys get a fish in the net (no matter the size) do you immediately take it out of the net, photo, and release it ???? I say no you don't.

Here's what normally happens::

1) You get the fish in the net
2) You breath a big sigh of relief ,high fives are exchanged ,
3) You try to calm down ( this may take a few seconds) then
4) You go to working on getting the fish unhooked...

Now this may have taken approx. 30-90 seconds ,when all the while this fish is still in the net which is in the water.

How in the world is holding a fish in a net hurting it ???

I would say that more fish get hurt during the out of water, photo and measurement(when it goes crazy and ends up on the floor because you didn't have a good enough grip on the fish)

Like I said before I fish both trails and an occasional Muskies Inc. tourney and have yet to see a bad release.( dead fish )

I like the judge boat format because its harder for someone to cheat and the judges usually hang around the area just in case a fish does go belly up.

I also like Pauls format too. He runs a good trail and He for sure gives alot back to the resource.
But are all of the MMTT events going to be a 48" minimum in order to register a fish ????...... I don't think so....

Does the PMTT give back to the resource???? YES .. As a PMTT member I give hundreds of dollars back for stocking efforts and I'm just one member out of over 500.
Oh, and the PMTT also runs it's events with the "Fish First" mentality

Thanks, Jerome
john skarie
Posted 5/27/2007 3:29 PM (#258201 - in reply to #257674)

Jerome this isn't a debate about which format is better for the fish.

Tournament promoters and contestants have to evolve and change as laws change just like everyday anglers do.

I see no reason to make an exception for a muskie tournament that doesn't want to change it's format.

If they want to have one in MN that bad, then they can change or leave, it's thier choice.

Nobody is saying then can't come here, they just have to follow the same rules everyone else does.

JS
J.Sloan
Posted 5/27/2007 7:32 PM (#258219 - in reply to #257674)

One type of immediate release is also known as a 'Hayward Release', which is loosing the fish 15 feet from the boat.

Ty and Tanner find that one funny.

JS
sworrall
Posted 5/27/2007 7:42 PM (#258221 - in reply to #258219)

I wonder what a day in the boat with both those guys would be like.....
Top H2O
Posted 5/27/2007 10:46 PM (#258238 - in reply to #258221)

John,

I'm in agreement with the " change or leave " mentality , and I am sure that the PMTT will work things out with the State DNR permit process . But........ believe it or not there is granted by a court of Law or a high ranking official certain changes / Variances to some of our Laws.

For example : Closing off streets and having a block party,
A Parade, or sometimes a church bizarre or carnival.

I'm not allowed to park in the street in front of my house after 2am , but if my driveway is full I just call the police station and ask for a parking variance and they grant one for me so I cant get a ticket for illegal parking.

I'm sure the pmtt will adapt to the change in rules or they will just go else where, which to me and alot of other people would be a shame if they didn't have a stop in Mn.

john skarie
Posted 5/28/2007 9:33 AM (#258286 - in reply to #257674)

H2O;

I would disagree with your analogy of closing off the streets.

Anybody can get a permit for a party, just like anybody can get one for a tournament.

The PMTT wants to get the permit, and then change the permit regulations for their own needs.

So I think there is a difference their.

I'm sure they will have an event, which is fine by me as long as they don't get special treatment that other tournaments aren't asking for.
'
JS

firstsixfeet
Posted 5/28/2007 9:43 AM (#258291 - in reply to #257674)

I would be ok with ALL tourney stops to be in MN.

I am also completely in favor of all Musky tournaments to be honor system tournaments. After all, we are all honorable men, are we not?

And that deal on the "Hayward Release", LOL, I wonder if I can claim all the "Hayward Release" fish as part of my total over the years? That will improve my numbers significantly, cause dang, there sure have been alot of them...
happy hooker
Posted 5/28/2007 12:18 PM (#258311 - in reply to #258291)

I would think that judge boat tourneys would "LOVE" adapting over to the new photo format!!!
First off you dont have to pay Judge boats anymore making the purse bigger or even a larger profit for the owner or a contribution to the local lake or a combination
second- theres no reason you cant now count 34' fish like you do in Eagle River etc.
I cant see anything but advantages
Muskie Treats
Posted 5/29/2007 9:01 AM (#258419 - in reply to #257674)

FSF, there's another release: The "Treats Release". That's where you get the fish, call over the judge boat, take the fish out of the net in front of the judge, drop it on the board and watch the fish flip back into the lake.

That was as $700 slap in the face...
Top H2O
Posted 5/29/2007 11:03 AM (#258455 - in reply to #258419)

Treats,

Ouch.!! That gotta hurt , did it leave a mark ?

Jerome
Muskie Treats
Posted 5/29/2007 11:14 AM (#258463 - in reply to #257674)

Troy still won't let me live it down...
Top H2O
Posted 5/29/2007 8:55 PM (#258573 - in reply to #258463)

Troy,

You need to show Shawn a little Love....." Forgiveness is power"

Hope you guys have a great opener.

Jerome
Jump to page : 1 2
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)