Muskie Discussion Forums

Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Language | Blogs Search | Statistics | User Listing
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

[Frozen]
Moderators: Slamr

View previous thread :: View next thread
Jump to page : 1 2 3
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]

Muskie Fishing -> General Discussion -> Thinking of hanging the shingle, questions of established guides

Frozen
Message Subject: Thinking of hanging the shingle, questions of established guides
muskynightmare
Posted 4/8/2007 11:36 PM (#249747)
Subject: Thinking of hanging the shingle, questions of established guides

Hey folks.
I'm thinking of starting my own guide business. Not looking to step on the toes of any established guides (Espeicaly on this board). I intend on guiding Peshtigo river flowages, Roberts, Archibald, and DuBay chiefly for Muskys, but Bait fish as well (walleyes and smallies, big market in this area).

1) Am I steping on anyone's toes?

2) What are the tax hoops I need to jump through?

3) anything else i need to think of, that i have not asked?

I am not intrested in guiding on Green bay at this time (as I have ALOT to learn, as well as I do not have a captians license, YET.

Also, My buddy's K-bob, and Muskymaj, may look into a three way partnership. any advice in a group venture would be apprciated (we all have different disiplines).

Edited by muskynightmare 4/8/2007 11:53 PM
Shane Mason
Posted 4/9/2007 5:58 AM (#249755 - in reply to #249747)
Subject: RE: Thinking of hanging the shingle, questions of established guides

Hey Rob, I guide on 2 of the lakes you mentioned Roberts and Archibald. There arent a whole lot of guides in this area for musky anyway. Myself, Dannyboy, Rick Meverden (Ricks Rods), and Travis Kopke are the only ones I can think of off the top of my head. But this isnt really a hot musky destination, as most people pass it by on the way to tourist land.

To answer your questions

1) Cant speak for anyone else, but it doesnt bother me. One word of advise though as most the stocked fish in these two lakes are stocked by the lake association and NOT the DNR, they get pretty owly with those who are exploiting the resource for monetary benefit.
Having lived in the area now for five years and donating $ and time to area lake associations it has gotten better, I no longer have to take 2 spare boat trailer tires with me.

2) Change your name to cash. As much as possible anyway. After referral kickbacks, and other misc expenses its just easier.

3) Plenty. Call me if you are serious 715 850 0573 as I dont visit the boards very much anymore.
nwild
Posted 4/9/2007 7:38 AM (#249767 - in reply to #249755)

Rob,
One of the biggest things I can stress is to make sure you are insured. Most of the normal boat policy's are void if one does this crazy thing for $'s. Not only does that include guiding but also tournaments. Worst case scenario, a client gets hurt or worse while in your boat and come after you, your insurance company finds out you were guiding and leaves you hanging in the wind. Commercial insurance is a necessary expense.

Other than that, give them an honest effort, be personable, and good luck.
castmaster
Posted 4/9/2007 7:45 AM (#249771 - in reply to #249747)
Subject: Re: Thinking of hanging the shingle, questions of established guides

"2) Change your name to cash. As much as possible anyway. After referral kickbacks, and other misc expenses its just easier. "

c'mon now...no guide would work for cash to avoid taxes would they?

might not be the best idea to post publicly!
nwild
Posted 4/9/2007 7:51 AM (#249773 - in reply to #249771)

I have found that if done properly and legally, guide business' in some years can be a tax benefit. Not every year mind you, and probably not if you are doing it as a "hobby" business. If you are doing it as a hobby business, you use your income to offset expenses but can't claim a loss, almost a legal version of what has been suggested. You would probably want to check with an accountant and try to do this on the up and up.

If you are going into business it is best to treat it as such. It doesn't lend a whole bunch of confidence to your clients if you are asking them to help you hide the income.
mikie
Posted 4/9/2007 9:38 AM (#249790 - in reply to #249747)

Kind of like, "I just won a million dollars in the state lottery and I'm gonna guide for muskies until it's all gone!"? m
Steve Jonesi
Posted 4/9/2007 9:59 AM (#249794 - in reply to #249747)

How does a muskie fisherman/woman become a millionaire? He/she starts with 2. Steve
greenduck
Posted 4/9/2007 10:49 AM (#249802 - in reply to #249747)

This isn't meant to be an attack but rather an objective observation.
Last year you routinely stated on this site that you went almost the whole year without catching a musky. Now you're accomplished enough to be a guide? This may sound harsh but as a good friend of mine often states don't ask the question if you don't want to hear the answer.
jonnysled
Posted 4/9/2007 11:15 AM (#249808 - in reply to #249747)

greenduck ... i think that's always a fair question. it's one i've got experience answering and even more experience asking myself. i continuously ask to myself in my own judgement of whether i should or shouldn't base on whether or not i would hire me. in 2005 due to some personal issues i found myself on the water constantly and felt completely in-tune with what was going specifically with lots of experience on some good water with results to show for it. i got in because someone i knew wanted to have a "back-up" for either being double booked or sick or conflict et al ... i was successful on all guide trips i did that year for good reason ... because i was out there constantly. it was helpful getting some extra cash to make boat payments during a tough time and my "product" introduced people to something worth it with the interest to repeat.

last year was very different as i was traveling constantly and didn't fish as much although i still carried my license and guided some repeaters that want to get out with me ... and i was able to donate to the boards to raise some money (thankfully scored well for the winning bidder) to some great causes ... my question to whether i would be able to produce for clients was more difficult to feel confident in, but at the end of the year it was a good choice to do what i did.

this year i've got the huge question ... should i or shouldn't i. i'm leaning toward the shouldn't more and more because i just think you have to consider the very questions you have asked.

there's a whole lot different situation in a boat with a paying customer than there is with somebody going fishing ... and you have to ask yourself some very tough questions.

could i put people on patterns, fish and success ... absolutely. would i be in-tune to be "in the business" ... no way. it takes so much time on the water, understanding of what's going on and success for the client.

i think it was EA who mentioned paying a guide for maybe 8 or 10 trips fishless ... that kind of thing just shouldn't happen.

i sent a form in with 40 bucks and was a guide ... knowing me i would have hired me in 2005 in a heartbeat ... in 2006 i would have hired someone else. it's all a matter of how much time and the results you're able to achieve ... anyone can try and then there are the people who make it ... not unlike any other business.

my 16 yuan
lambeau
Posted 4/9/2007 2:17 PM (#249826 - in reply to #249747)

i think there's being a guide, and then there's being a Guide, and the only person who really decides between the two is the client who decides who he's going to hire.

there are lots of people in the first category. they like fishing, they like showing people a good time, and they figure they can make a little money doing it part-time. there are tons of guides like this working weekends on resort referrals, etc. are they all "in-tune" with what the muskies are doing every day? nope, especially the part-time multi-species guys who maybe do a handful of muskie trips all year.
i would never go so far as to say whether they should or shouldn't be guiding, ultimately it's up to them to decide if they're acting responsibly. like everything you're spending a lot of money on: buyer beware. the guides who are going to be successful are those who understand that reputation means everything and building reputation starts long before you ever "hang out the shingle", as people have noted already.

the second group is the full-time Guide, the person who's on the fish and confidently able to put clients onto fish. there's no "i hope they're biting today" for these guides, but rather a direct cause-effect relationship between what they're doing and the results their clients are seeing. that can only come with experience, and that's what their clients are paying them to do.

i like Sled's point of view: he's asking himself the tough questions, not pointing figures at others and judging whether or not they should or shouldn't be doing something. it suggests a certain maturity and self-confidence that he isn't threatened by what others do nor unwilling to be honest with himself.
imho, that's much more productive than looking around and saying "i caught more fish than so-and-so" or "that guy is hurting the status of the term 'guide'." judge yourself against yourself and base your actions on what that tells you to do.
TJ DeVoe
Posted 4/9/2007 2:22 PM (#249827 - in reply to #249747)

Good posts Lambeau and Sled!
muskynightmare
Posted 4/9/2007 2:35 PM (#249830 - in reply to #249747)

Hi folks,
Thanx for the imput thus far. I hope it continues.
Greenduck, fair assesment. However, I did not get alot of opportunities to fish last year due to being fired (no cash to go), knee surgery (could not stand for a while), and a pinched nerve (I could not cast for almost two months).
I did put my wife on her PB last year, and yes, I got only four fish last year, but they were both two fish days.

I guess that the jumping through tax hoops was worded wrong. I am not looking to avoid taxes. I just needed some basic info on it.

I am not looking to do this full time, and would also be guiding for walleyes. I love educating others. I love taking folks fishing. If I can do two things that I love, and make the boat payment, even better.

If this was to turn into full time, that would be sweet, if not, that's ok.
I figure I'll go full time 27 years from now when I retire.

I like the fact nobody is candy-coating anything. Keep it coming.
esoxaddict
Posted 4/9/2007 3:04 PM (#249835 - in reply to #249747)

I've considered guiding too.

(I'll wait a second for all y'all to quit laughing before I go on...)

I guess what I mean is I've considered it as something I'd be interested in pursuing in the future, and done a lot of thinking about what it takes to be a good guide. Having done nearly all my fishing with guides I've seen the good, the bad, and the ugly.

Some things are essential:

1. Knowledge of your local waters that would go beyond what the average fisherman would know. How I would get there?

(I can't speak in terms of how long it would take other than to say several hundred days on each body of water I planned on guiding. )

A. Structure -- not just the obvious points, bars, etc that everyone fishes, but the stuff that not everybody knows. Spots on the spot, things you would never find unless you had spend days and days and days with a map, GPS cards, marking waypoints, diving, underwater cameras, whatever means necessary to know that body of water like nopbody else does.

B. Seasonal patterns -- not just muskies, but the whole food chain. And not just one season where you fished every day, but several seasons. Enough where you understand the seasonal patterns and how they change from year to year.

I guess what I'm trying to say is simple -- you have to know that lake (or lakes) like you know your own living room.

And that's something that takes a long time. As for how I would know that I was ready to guide? When I could hit the water every day and be confident that I did everything possible to put fish in the boat, and that there was no better path I could have taken. When I felt like "I know this lake as well as or better than anyone out here" I'd be comfortable guiding on it.

2. Boat control -- obvious, but worth mentioning. If you can't put the boat right where you want it, EVERY TIME, so your client can make that perfect cast? You're not ready.

3. Desire to teach. I don't want to be an outfitter. I want people to leave my boat with knowledge and skill they didn't have this morning, no matter who they are or what their background is. Along with that comes a desire to LEARN. Nobody knows everything, most everybody knows something, and a few people know nothing. Being able to tell the difference and learn from those who know something you might not is important.

4. Personality. I have to be friendly, accomodating, positive, and confident every minute of every day no matter what. That means I have to be able to say "hey that's ok" when a client throws my Calcutta and my $200 custom rod 30 yards on a cast, or steps on my new rod, loses my favorite bait, or spills red kool aid all oveer the carpeting of my new Ranger.

5. Availibility. If you're going to call yourself a guide and charge $350 for a day on the water, you had better either be out there every day, or have a network of people you can be in touch with who are. No matter how good you are and how well you know the water, if its been a month since you were out musky fishing, you're not going to be dialed in to what's going on out there. I don't want to waste 6 hours of my clients day while I'm trying to find the fish because I haven't been out in a month.

It might take me 5 years, or 10, but I will not call myself a guide until I personally feel I am worth what I'm charging and would hire me if I wasn't me.

And I still won't know if I really have the personality for it until I've actually done it for a season. Because let's face it -- unless you're guiding on the best musky waters and you are the best at what you do, nobody is going to want to hire you if you are a jerk.

And to be 100% honest? That's the part I might struggle with, is being patient, understanding, calm, and friendly enough to be a guy people want to hire. All the rest just comes with time and experience.

I hope I have the time to get the experience.
I already have the passion for these silly fish.
God knows I have enough gear.

But I'm a long way from being guide material!

Edited by esoxaddict 4/9/2007 3:34 PM
nwild
Posted 4/9/2007 3:56 PM (#249838 - in reply to #249835)

Very thought provoking reply EA.

My own thought process before entering the guiding arena was very much like that. It was at the advice of others that I started my business in the first place, I was too insecure about my abilities at that time to make the leap on my own. To this day those same thoughts go through my head before every trip with clients. I want to give my clients the best available shot at boating a fish, they are paying me their hard earned money to give them that shot. There are periods through every year when the fish have me scratching my head wondering why anyone would pay me to take them fishing. Musky fishing can do that to you.

I have gotten a little better (some would say too much better) on the confidence level. I can honestly say that I expect to boat fish every time I launch the Tuffy. That is a MUST if you are going to guide. You have to expect fish, and I don't mean have a positive attitude, you have to have enough confidence in your own ability and past performances to absolutely know you are going to catch a fish or two any given day. That is paramount to being a guide.

Not far after ability (I'm not even sure it comes behind)comes personality. You have to really like people. You are going to be stuck in a 19' area with two complete strangers for the best part of a day. You are the teacher, entertainer, friend, etc. for these people for the entirety of their trip. They will remember the 10 hours of conversation and teachings more than they will the sporadic spurts of activity that come with musky fishing. If people get on your nerves easily, this is not for you.

Dedication is a huge component for being successful at this gig also. Are you able to give as much effort on the 6th day straight of guiding that you did on the first. What if the wind is howling, or its an all day rain. What if the temp dropped 20 degrees overnight. Are you still able to give your clients everything you got. Believe it or not this becomes work, albeit my office is way cool, it does get to be work some days. If you ever let on to your clients that its work, you are in serious trouble in the long haul.

Another thing that a huge % of people could never handle with guiding, are you ready to give up your secrets. Do you have a lake X, or even a spot X that you pretty much have to yourself. Can you show others that lake or spot day after day? I have burned up a few of my go to spots on Pelican by showing clients. In fact, what used to be my best obscure spot on the lake was pretty much dead last year and far from obscure. You become your own worst enemy when it comes to people fishing your spots, but you cannot hold back when people are paying you. Their success is the ultimate goal, not making sure no one fishes your honey hole.

There are a lot of things that people don't consider when it comes to "hanging out the shingle". This is not in any way to say anyone is not capable or qualified to be a guide. Like I said, there are days when I wonder about myself. Just a few points to ponder.
jonnysled
Posted 4/9/2007 4:09 PM (#249840 - in reply to #249838)

nwild - 4/9/2007 3:56 PM

I can honestly say that I expect to boat fish every time I launch the Tuffy. That is a MUST if you are going to guide. You have to expect fish, and I don't mean have a positive attitude, you have to have enough confidence in your own ability and past performances to absolutely know you are going to catch a fish or two any given day. That is paramount to being a guide.

that is "IT" in the nutshell. if you've been in that zone, you know how huge that statement is ... and if that zone is something that's beyond you ... well, you know that too ... and it comes and goes season after season depending on the dedication and results you can achieve and continue to apply to your business.

well said Norm
Pointerpride102
Posted 4/9/2007 4:24 PM (#249843 - in reply to #249747)

Now I cant take full credit for what I am about to say as it is the ideas of someone else that I know on the subject of guiding..........

Basically you can take a look around the area you are in and I would venture to guess that there a fair amount of various guides for various species. One possible way to get up in the ranks and have your name out there over others is to fill a certain type of niche in your area. Now this could be anything. The example given to me by this person was about a friend of his who began guiding people by targeting bluegills by fly rod. Take a look in your area...is there a certain niche you could fill out there? Fly fishing for gills? Carp? Muskies perhaps??

One other word of advice for you, if you are planning on fishing Dubay you are tackling a monster! Tons and tons of water to cover out there and from what I understand, a fishable, yet relatively small population of muskies.

Good luck in whatever you decide to do Rob, I hope for the best for you!
IAJustin
Posted 4/9/2007 6:40 PM (#249862 - in reply to #249747)

Rob,

I would highly suggest you talk to a tax professional -keep record of your expenses. You will be able to "write-off" many expenses against any income from guiding - everything from gas, to baits, to electronics, to client rods, and on and on. My accountant set up a schedule to depreciate my boat over 5 years as well.

Justin

Edited by IAJustin 4/9/2007 6:41 PM
ulbian
Posted 4/9/2007 7:06 PM (#249866 - in reply to #249747)

Gee Pointer, that story about the guy flyfishing is awful familiar...hehehehe. It's a good point though and the guy is doing really well. He just got his feet wet by flyfishing for gills and has since expanded making himself more versatile. He went with something rather easy, built up credibility for himself, and now is succeeding because by word of mouth people are talking about him. One hell of a walleye fisherman as well and where that is where his passion is, he still does the bluegill thing to change things up.

Just being able to put fish in the boat is actually a small part of guiding. Having confidence in your abilities to put fish in the boat is obviously a must but how much confidence will you have in keeping your cool when a client breaks equipment, when you've picked the umpteenth backlash of the day, or when you just have someone who has unreasonable expectations. I'm sure some of the guides on here can chime in on that one, but from the little dabbling in it that I've done myself I can tell you that it's an easier pill to swallow when you don't put a fish in the boat for someone than it is when you have someone in the boat that just rubs you the wrong way.

The best muskie fisherman that I know would make a terrible guide. It's uncanny but that guy could probably fish in a septic tank and find them but he fully admits that he doesn't relate well with people and that's why he won't even consider participating in discussions online. Heck, it wouldn't shock me if he's never touched a computer in his life so he puts together jigsaw puzzles instead.

I too had considered taking that leap at one time after a few others encouraged me but I'm glad I never did. 04 and 05 were good years numbers wise but I didn't enjoy them as much as I should have because I was pressing too much. Last year was much different. Fewer fish but the hours per fish swung heavily in my favor and I enjoyed it much more than the previous two years. Would fishing become more of a job instead of something you enjoy doing? That's what it boiled down to for me and I hear that from guides I know. They don't enjoy it as much as they once did and end up regretting taking that jump from time to time. Hearing such things as "I have to be on the water" instead of "I want to be on the water" is a pretty telling statement.

muskynightmare
Posted 4/10/2007 12:05 AM (#249907 - in reply to #249747)

Everyone's feelings, statements, etc. is better than i expected from this post. I have been with two guides in the last two years.
One, total vaccuum as far as personality goes. He sucked the life out of everyone on the water, no matter how far away they were, and has killed several muskys last year.

the other, good guy, knowledgable of his waters, but I really had to ask him alot of questions as to why we were on this lake, why he did not tell me to throw this or that, etc. I aint bagging on this guy by any means.

I want to give someone the benefit of my knowledge if he is gonna give me the benefit of his hard earned wages. Granted, these guides took me out for free, but tell me why we are doing what we are doing and why we are working what we are working.

The first guy I met through a previous position, and is mainly a walleye guy, who's forte' was trolling. if he had to jig, rig, or anything else but troll, would be lost.

Keep up with the candor, this is what I need to make an informed decision.
C.Painter
Posted 4/10/2007 9:27 AM (#249943 - in reply to #249907)

I don't guide, but have A LOT of friends that are. I also have hired 1 guide once to learn a very tough/dangerous body of water.

What I want in a guide and I don't think I am alone, are the following qualities(others have other opinions obviously) : These are not in order of importance as you will see.

1. Great personality. Has to at least make it SEEM like he wants to be on the water with me...and not doing it just because. Able to relate information and stories to keep you engauged, fired up, and educate at the same time.
This is the "entertainment" factor I guess.

2. This person best be willing to answer a 1000 questions....because that is why I am hiring them...to learn as much as I can about a given body of water etc. But, I don't want BS either. IF you don't know...you don't know...don't give me BS that you think I want to hear. This goes to point number 3.

3. This person better have caught a TON of muskies....more specifically, a LOT of muskies on the body of water I am looking to learn. I am going to ask questions about spots...why is this spot good...what makes it good...what have you caught here...when...why?? I try and put all the pieces together so I can better understand what type of locations, baits, etc make that lake click.

IF YOU HAVE CAUGHT 3 FISH FROM THIS LAKE HOW WILL YOU HELP ME???

I don't want someone who is going to spew the last 6 issues of muskie hunter at me. I want to learn from someone that has put in the time and can tell you via experience the ins and outs of a lake...the 20 muskies they have caught from spot X, why they fish spot X, what makes that structure hot...what times of year...factors...factors....etc etc....

Now.....I have caught a muskie or two in my day so where I am at for a guide is VERY different then someone just learning the sport. I think these folks would be wieghted VERY heavy on the #1 I posted....then the education would be along the basic lines etc.

I think there are some guides that are Great at what I am looking for and others that are great for newbies.

My two cents....

Cory

Edited by C.Painter 4/10/2007 9:31 AM
esoxaddict
Posted 4/10/2007 9:40 AM (#249944 - in reply to #249747)

Rob, I would suggest hiring some guides. And maybe not the names, guys who everybody talks about, etc. But some of the lesser known local guys. I've fished with maybe a dozen guides, and it probably took 6 before I really understood what I want out of a guide, and what would make me hire him again.

More than just taking people fishing as many others have said. Find out what kind of guide you want to be, and what kind of guide you DON'T want to be...

Just one guys opinion here, but 90% of it for me is if I like the person at the end of a really tough day. I hate to focus on the negative here, but here are some things various guides have done that really turned me off:

1. Not giving ANY information about the spots we were fishing. I want to know how this area lays out so maybe I can fish it again.

2. Sitting on the phone talking to tomorrow's clients, and his wife, and his friend, and his...

3. Saying "ok guys, just so you know, nobody's caught anything out here for three days. These fish ain't moving, so don't get your hopes up"

WHAT?! Ok, that might be true, and I can deal with that. I know its supposed to be 95 today and surface temps will be up over 80 by 11:00, But you tell us that before we even leave the DOCK?? I'm sorry, but that's a tidbit you just KEEP TO YOURSELF.

4. Broken equipment.... Stuff breaks, I get that. But when its been broke and its something like oh, I don't know, the TROLLING MOTOR? Bad move dude. Get a new one, fix the old one, borrow a boat...

5. "whoops, I forgot my net"... AT HOME.

6. showing up late/calling it early... Ok, I understand being 10 minutes late, but half an hour? I paid for 8 hours, and I shouldn't have to have that cut short so you can "beat rush hour traffic"...

7. Not even seeing a fish. Again and again, and again... and again... Tough days are one thing. But tough seasons? come on now...

8. "Man, I give up. What do you think we should do"?

Very long winded way of saying be someone people can respect, someone they like, and someone they really enjoy fishing with. If you can do that, you'll make a fine guide.
el capitan
Posted 4/10/2007 9:41 AM (#249945 - in reply to #249747)

What about the guides who fall in the lake retrieving a rod but have cat like reflexes and get back in the boat in time to net your fish!
esoxaddict
Posted 4/10/2007 10:53 AM (#249958 - in reply to #249945)

You mean the fish that was laying there by then like "ok, I'm done now, you gonna unhook me or what?"

And wait a second.. wouldn't cat like reflexes prevent you from falling in to begin with?
Mr Musky
Posted 4/10/2007 11:51 AM (#249967 - in reply to #249747)

Rob, you can give out all the knowledge you know about the bodies of water that you plan on fishing but if your not on those bodies of water day in or day out your going to run into trouble. Are you planing on guiding full time? Weekends? Or just a day here and a day there? I wish ya the best of luck. I would love to guide part time myself just for the fact that I love teaching people how to musky fish but if we had a tough day I would have a hard time taking their money no matter how much I tought them about the lake/lakes. So instead I just try to get new people into the sport each year including kids.

Mr Musky
asteffes
Posted 4/10/2007 12:07 PM (#249968 - in reply to #249747)

Just a thought to ponder........

We all agree that being on the water day in and day out is going to give you an advantage for putting clients on fish, but with that said are the guides who are on the water day in and day out that much better, or are they seeing better results because of time on the water?

I have fished with several "accomplished" guides, guides who people have great respect for and I have went an entire day not even having a single follow. Are they a bad guide? I don't think so, muskie fishing is tough. Numbers alone don't make you a great guide. The body of water you guide on can greatly dictate the numbers of fish you score.

I have often thought about guiding myself. I am a teacher, I have my summer off if I choose to. I am on the water virtually every day fishing muskie anyway, but the main reason I have not pulled the trigger is because I don't want to lose my love for the sport. Would guiding do that? I don't know. Keep in mind that when you guide you are on the water at sunrise and off when your client says they are ready, at least that is what I feel a good guide would do. Lots of long days and during the heat of the middle of summer, those days can be real LONG, but as a guide you need to fight through that and keep your client optimistic a fish is coming.
BNelson
Posted 4/10/2007 1:42 PM (#249983 - in reply to #249747)

I think one of the biggest things a guide must have to do it, and enjoy it, is A LOT of patience....I don't have a ton of patience when it comes to people who don't listen or don't try to do what they are taught/told...I'm not saying it's "my way or the highway" but if someone isn't willing to properly execute a figure 8 despite knowing exactly how to do it..that gets on my nerves..
I agree with Corys summary above...
I enjoy putting people on fish, and do a bit of guiding and will do more this year but after taking a ton of people from newbies to experienced guys out in the last few years I gotta hand it to the guys that do it full time...I know I just don't have the patience to put up with all they have to put up with day in and day out...

I personally think guides should be very succesful on the bodies of water they want to guide and earn money before starting to guide..now it might not be that they have to have 100 fish from a body of water but there is some merit to the number of fish under ones belt before being able to pass on those fish catching skills down to a client...what is that number? well as others have said it's up to the individual to decide and determine if they are worthy of the dollar value they are going to charge...

Agree with Norm too..expecting to catch fish each time out is what my mindset is...if you are guiding, you better have that mindset and if you don't, don't guide..

I've been fortunate to fish with some of what I would consider the better guides out there..guys like Lee T. really know how to make a day fun and productive...Lee knows boat control...if you want to guide make sure you are good at boat control before doing it as well..can mean the difference between catching fish and puzzled why you didn't.

Edited by MSKY HNR 4/10/2007 2:09 PM
dannyboy
Posted 4/10/2007 2:13 PM (#249987 - in reply to #249747)

lots of good discussion here.
many of my comments have been already stated.
but i will relay a few.
if i were considering hiring a guide i want them to have that unnending passion, the "fever" as it is sometimes called.
a man i know and i respect very much asked me alive or dead who i would fish for, for 1 day for $1 millon.
my answer and his answer were very identical. 2 different fisherman with the same unnending passion.
we call them musky machines.....

hope this helps.

feel free to shoot me an email anytime. i guide some of the waters you mentioned.
and no your not stepping on anyones toes. we all do better when we work together.

as far as taxes. i let my accountant do this. 1 less headache for me. i keep all recipts and turn in all days. i certainly don't want a fine over something i do on the side that i love.
like steve jonesi said to a point. we arent in this to make a ton of money. we probly lose some......

and oh sled as far as your descision my advice is guide my friend. you have the passion and i know you can do very well at it....

dannyboy
www.dannyboysguideservice.com
dnnymusky@yahoo,com
715-674-2061
FYGR8
Posted 4/10/2007 2:13 PM (#249989 - in reply to #249747)

Your resume best have a few fish. Quite a few! Everyone would love to be a guide and everyone can. Send the DNR your 40.00 and fill out the paperwork. I have held a guides license for 7 years and will continue to hold one until I give it up. I don't advertise and I only do a few gigs each year for some selected clients. I will stick with my main job and sideline until it is time to retire. You will have to take the time to prove yourself if you want to make a living doing it. Lots of guys have musky experience, but do you have enough to try to make it? Just wondering.
MNSteveH
Posted 4/10/2007 5:08 PM (#250032 - in reply to #249747)

I'm surprised the "get what you pay for" mentality hasn't come up more in this discussion.

If I'm going to pay $300+ bucks I'm probably going to want a guy that fishes every day, is very in tune with conditions and can give me the greatest chance of putting some fish in the net. That guide probably has to charge this much for all the effort they put in, not to mention it's thier livelihood.

On the other hand I think there's also a potential "market" for someone who guides occasionally but knows musky fishing and certain lakes pretty well and can teach newer fishermen spots, tactics, etc. The focus here is more on teaching, not on putting fish in the net. I'm guessing people are not willing to pay as much for this, but it seems like you wouldn't have much trouble finding people willing to pay maybe $100 bucks for such a service. It would help cover your expenses and also bring some personal satisfaction which sounds like your goal anyway.

Minnesota55
Posted 4/10/2007 6:32 PM (#250043 - in reply to #249747)

I would think to guide on the waters you listed that you are very experianced on those lakes like 10-15 years experiance on them, and you know there seasonal patterns and could put fish in the net.If I was to hire a guide i also would want on the water experiance.Not something memorized out of a magazine.I also would like to see results.You also as a guide have to cater to the clients and get along with everyones personalitys.

Read up the article "So you want to be a guide"Musky hunter magazine.

Mike
Jump to page : 1 2 3
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]
Frozen
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)