Muskie Discussion Forums

Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Language | Blogs Search | Statistics | User Listing
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )
Moderators: Slamr

View previous thread :: View next thread
Jump to page : 1 2 3
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]

Muskie Fishing -> General Discussion -> Most annoying fishing partner habit?

Message Subject: Most annoying fishing partner habit?
NateSki
Posted 4/4/2007 12:28 AM (#248769)
Subject: Most annoying fishing partner habit?

There's gotta be some guys out there with some annoying fishing partner habits!!

Mine would have to be My bro when he's throwin a Double Cowgirl, which seem to carry about a 5 gallon bucket worth of water in them. On his backcast he pretty much hangs the lure over my head while the cowgirl leaks on me. Then I just look over at him with an I wanna kill you look and he just says "what" as the waters driiping down my face. Sometimes I'd like to throw him outta the boat
muskynightmare
Posted 4/4/2007 12:38 AM (#248770 - in reply to #248769)
Subject: Re: Most annoying fishing partner habit?

Lack of battery maintenance. Love ya like my brother, K, But buy some batteries, bro! LOL
Reelwise
Posted 4/4/2007 12:41 AM (#248772 - in reply to #248770)

I find it annoying when a fishing partner complains and loses confidence when the fishing sucks. You cant catch them unless you try.

Edited by Reelwise 4/4/2007 12:43 AM
Top H2O
Posted 4/4/2007 1:07 AM (#248774 - in reply to #248772)

Don't Cast on top of my Lure!! !!

I mean why do you have to cast 3 ft. from where my lure just hit the water ??
Whats up with that??

AND........

Don't be so %$#% negative That really sucks.

Jerome
pgaschulz
Posted 4/4/2007 6:31 AM (#248782 - in reply to #248769)
Subject: RE: Most annoying fishing partner habit?

Complaining about not catching fish is the big one as the lure hangs over the side of the boat, its not perch fishing guys...

pga
Posted 4/4/2007 7:01 AM (#248785 - in reply to #248769)

The worst is the old "I don't like this spot let's fish that other spot". When you supply the boat and most of the tackle you can fish anywhere you'd like until that time arrives we will be fishing this spot. If you don't like it I am sure the fishing from the boat landing is spectacular. Catching the first and or largest fish is another annoying habit.
Beaver
Posted 4/4/2007 7:51 AM (#248787 - in reply to #248785)

I don't have one set partner, and in fact, I like to fish alone much of the time.
But there are certain traits of guys that I have taken fishing....once.
The guy who stands around and does nothing at the boat landing, or the exact opposite, when the guy runs around and tries to do everything but doesn't know what he is doing.
Disrespecting my equipment. Like using the shaft of my trolling motor as a step on to the dock.
Loud talkers.
People who don't know how to cast. You know them...they take the lure back until it's almost touching the water, before they make a cast that resembles Frankenstein swinging a baseball bat.
People who complain about boat control. I don't cut anyone off, and try my best to put the boat in position so we both can cast effectively. But when the wind is blowing over 20mph, sometimes it's just hard to do. If they aren't familiar with the lake, I will explain what each spot that we are fishing looks like and how we are going to fish it. Along with, "When in doubt, cast in the same direction as me. Not on top of me, it's an 18 foot boat, so I can handle our lures landing 18 feet apart."
Lures getting within 2 feet of my head......goes along with the 18 foot rule.
I'd rather have a guy who knows how to cast standing on the front deck with me, than a guy who can't cast standing in the back of the boat.
I'm not the perfect boat partner either, but Sworrall understands that during the course of the day he will see me laying flat on my back on the rear deck of his boat, sometimes for more than a half hour. I'm not giving up, I just know my limitations.

Beav
guideman
Posted 4/4/2007 8:03 AM (#248789 - in reply to #248785)

I just can't stand fishing with a slob.
Don't leave lures on the deck where I may step or even worse I may sit on one. Put things away when you are done with them.

No coolers or tackle boxes in the middle of the floor and please, no open pop cans to tip over on my carpet. I really hate that. All of my beverages have caps on them.

"Ace"
Dacron + Dip
Posted 4/4/2007 8:23 AM (#248792 - in reply to #248769)

GUYS WHO SHOW UP LATE.
sorenson
Posted 4/4/2007 8:26 AM (#248793 - in reply to #248789)

I can do a pretty good job of tolerating most isiosyncrasies that a boat partner can come up with...
I agree w/ the casting over my lines thing, and the negative attitude gets old quite fast.
Other things that come to mind...

-rubbing my nose in it by using and catching fish on baits that 'shouldn't work'
-asking for me to get the net before I can even get the trolling motor thawed out and deployed
-making sure the mountains are in the background for the pictures

(any similarities between these and real persons on this board are purely coincidental)

and then there's...

-sticking your boat partner w/ a hook so generously returned by a small northern pike at about 230 mph...right into his calf
-comic relief provided by pulling a small northen 12' forward on a hookset
-so generously pointing out the rock reef...just after hitting it
-breaking off the end of a lure retriever by stupidly using it as a push-pole on Lake...(Ah, though you got me, huh?)
-making short work on a bump board hinge...what a wreck
-stealing a lure that their first muskie came on
but most of all...
-forgetting the promised sandwiches!

on second thought, this is a give and take game...I'll put up w/ you if you put up w/ me! Enjoy your time on the water...it's too short as it is. I do want to fish w/ Beav someday though.

Sorno

Edited by sorenson 4/4/2007 8:28 AM
husky_jerk
Posted 4/4/2007 8:26 AM (#248794 - in reply to #248789)

I hate it when I fish with guys who bring 10 rods and 5 tackle boxes for a one day outing. What is even more annoying is the partner who isn't ready to go at the designated time. When the vehicle and boat are pointing at the launch I don't want to have to stop for beer, smokes, leaders, whatever. These things are planned in advance so get your s*%t ready before hand. Most of all, I agree with others who don't like a bad attitude in the boat on slow days. Some days the muskies are on, but most days are a struggle. The only way to overcome those days is with a good attitude and hard work. Sometimes even that won't do it but it sure ups your odds.

Edited by husky_jerk 4/4/2007 8:33 AM
muskymeyer
Posted 4/4/2007 8:33 AM (#248797 - in reply to #248794)

Cigarette or cigars in the boat . . . . especially when they put burn marks in the carpet. In thoise cases I would like to do the same to their vehicle or their furniture at home. Spilling stuff in the boat is going to happen, just dump some water on it. Peeing on the side of the boat . . . . .and not dumpng some water on it as a "flush" is not cool either.
Trying to eat or drink when on plane does not work either. I don't like coffee, especially when it is whipped in my face by the wind, and although I do like donuts, watching the crumbs come flying off and hitting me in the face is not how I usually like to eat them.
I have had alot of people compliment the Tuffy Esox Magnum as " the best boat to pee out of" they have ever been in. Maybe Tuffy could use this as a marketing tool????

Corey Meyer

Edited by muskymeyer 4/4/2007 8:36 AM
muskihntr
Posted 4/4/2007 8:48 AM (#248798 - in reply to #248769)

having a bad or un positive attitude!
MuskyHopeful
Posted 4/4/2007 9:05 AM (#248803 - in reply to #248798)

Only a real a$$ would promise sandwiches and not bring them.

My smiling Utahian friend. Come to WI for the southern opener. Your bald pal from Portage should come down here, too. I just might feed everybody fishing muskies in Waukesha County that weekend.

I did bring corned beef and ham for everyone on St. Patty's day.

I am a lousy boat partner in some respects, but I like to think I'm personable, and I always shower every day.

Joel thinks I'm lucky.

Kevin

Stay tuned.
MACK
Posted 4/4/2007 9:05 AM (#248804 - in reply to #248769)

- Fair weather "fishermen"

- People who give up when the fishing is slow and lay down to take a nap in the boat. (Wait...I actually like that at times...that's paid off for me numerous times, when they sleep, I get fish! And i get to watch them snap up out of a deep sleep and smack their head on something in the boat when I yell "FISH ON!" )

- Messy eaters in the boat that leave crumbs and crap everywhere

- People with a low attention span when we're planning out being out allllllllllllllllll day regardless of the fish activity, weather or whatever

- People who constantly want to be moving around from spot to spot

- People that don't pitch in for gas....I shouldn't have to ask....

If you can't find the right kind of partner that matches your game well...then....fishing alone rules! LOL!

Edited by MACK 4/4/2007 9:07 AM
ESfishOX
Posted 4/4/2007 9:49 AM (#248808 - in reply to #248769)

two things tied for 1st place for me. My rod storage can't accommodate the bazillion rods I like to have with if I think I might troll and cast throughout the day. Please don't fold my rod eyelets over by stepping on the rods. Second, the rods and baits we are using are getting longer. Please don't think you can cast straight off the bow with an overhead cast. I hope to get through life without applying first aid to human flesh and treble hooks.

I've been pretty fortunate so far with boat partners!
esoxaddict
Posted 4/4/2007 9:59 AM (#248809 - in reply to #248769)

I can't complain about much as I am the proverbial boat slut...

But I've had a few things happen that I feel like pointing out.

1. I don't have a boat. I've never had a boat. I don't know how to back one up, and I have no idea what to do at the launch or how anything works. (I am learning!) I'd be happy to do anything I am able to do, but you gotta tell me what the hell that is.

2. Front or back of the boat I don't care, but lets agree on a few things:

If I'm in the front of the boat, and you're in back casting ahead of the boat, what exactly does that leave me to cast at?

If its your boat, I will always ask first what you are throwing and pick something that offers good contrast. That said, when you switch baits, maybe you should check to see what I'm throwing so you dont switch to the same bait in the same color... The goal is fish in the boat, which will go much easier if we work TOGETHER.

3. I'll bring food or beer or whatever, but let's figure that out ahead of time. I don't know what sort of food you eat or even IF you eat. I forget to eat sometimes.

4. Of COURSE I'll pay for gas, but I'd rather wait until the end of the day to see if we trolled all day, changed lakes three times and put 300 miles on your truck, or spent the day on a no motor lake or you started the motor once to drive the boat on the trailer. I'll make sure the day doesn't cost you anything for sure, but I'm not going to pay for your next 5 trips too... (bought gas for a buddy once at the beginning of the day, filled his truck and his boat which were both EMPTY, cost me almost $200. The lake was 15 minutes away, we used the trolling motor all day, and he was still using the gas I bought for his boat the following spring.) The same goes for the launch fee -- I'll get it. But don't assume I know there even IS one. I've never fished here, remember?

5. FISH. Don't just drive, FISH. A fish in the net is a fish in the net, I don't care if you catch it or I catch it, let's catch it!

6. I make fun of people. It's not out of disprespect, or because I think I could do anything better, its just what I do. If I like you, I'll find something to make fun of. If I don't make fun of you, it probably means I just don't like you enough to joke around with you.

7. Your boat, your rules. I fish hard. And I won't stop, so when you want to call it a day, you'd best not ask, just do it.

8. If I'm up front, I'll get the trolling motor. You don't need to step around me and do it yourself while I stand there in the way. BUT: I space out sometimes and forget. This does not mean you have to do it, it just means you need to point at it or say "trolling motor"...

9. If I have never fished the lake before and I don't even have a map, don't expect much of an answer when you say "where should we go?"

10. To the contrary, if I have fished the lake a bunch of times, with half a dozen people, don't be surprised of I point out a spot that you don't usually fish. There's a reason I'm pointing out that spot.

11. I don't talk much. I'm fishing. Doesn't mean I won't talk if you feel like it, I just don't have much to say most of the time.

12. You are welcome to any of my lures provided you do three things. 1. ASK. 2. When you put them away, please put them back in MY box, not yours. 3. If you lose them, please replace them.

13. I know you usually fish alone and cast sidearm from the back of the boat, but today I am standing on the front of the boat. I do not want to keep hearing *WHOOSH* and feeling the wind on my ear from the bait you just missed my head with all day long. It's only a matter of time until you bury that lure in the back of my head. Nobody is THAT good.

14. If we are fishing on the front deck together, for God's sake, lets coordinate our casts so you are casting while I am figure 8'ing. And for those rare occasions when I am figure 8'ing and I have a following fish, don't plop your bait in the water and start doing the same. It's just not funny, especially when you scare the fish off.

15. You're welcome, as I said before, to use my lures. When you are done with them, please do not leave them on the seat I am about to sit down on.

16. Please try to stay in the boat when I have a fish on.

Edited by esoxaddict 4/4/2007 10:14 AM
Willis
Posted 4/4/2007 10:20 AM (#248815 - in reply to #248809)

#1 People bringing too many rods and huge tackle boxes as to be #1. Simply rude and selfish - always a complete waste of space. and usually the person is just trying to show off their gear. A big cooler is fine, cuz I know i'm gonna drink all their beer to get back at them.
#2 would be throwing cigarette butts in the lake. I just won't have it.
#3 screaming in excitement when they see me get a follow or hit. I enjoy and appreciate the enthusiasm, but don't scare the fish!
#4 casting etiquette.

TJ DeVoe
Posted 4/4/2007 10:37 AM (#248820 - in reply to #248769)

Someone you offer to take fishing or who asks to go with you and they don't even offer to help with gas. It's not so much the fact I need the money for gas, but it's just the common courtesy when you go with a guy that drives his truck, takes his boat and takes the time to take that guy with you. The offer is all that matters to me, whether I take it or not, depends on how persistant the guy is about me taking the money or not. The offer is what gets the guy back in my boat!
johnson
Posted 4/4/2007 10:51 AM (#248823 - in reply to #248769)

I dont know if any of you have had this happen but I'm pretty focused when I fish and zone into everything going on with what i'm doing... I've got this buddy who thinks its funny to fake a hook up on a figure 8 and splash his rod in the water making it sound like a fish is fighting... bugs the bejesus out of me...

Also have another buddy who constantly bangs his lure on my motor cover - scratches the hell out of it..

Not to long now boys..
bret

Edited by johnson 4/4/2007 5:21 PM
millsie
Posted 4/4/2007 11:04 AM (#248828 - in reply to #248769)

I just hate when my partner has a hangover. It makes him VERY crabby.
ESfishOX
Posted 4/4/2007 11:13 AM (#248829 - in reply to #248823)

OK, I have to admit there is one scenario that bugs me. When I say leave the boat where it is on the pier when preparing to load up, I mean it. I do not want to hear my trailer hitting the hull after it's been beached. I tend to put the trailer under the boat and not on top of it. LOL
ghoti
Posted 4/4/2007 11:43 AM (#248833 - in reply to #248769)

#1- cell phone going off- it better be a death in the family or your wife/girlfriend going into labor.

#2- lack of proper attire. Be prepared for rain, sleet, snow. I fish Wisconsin waters!
Phish Killer
Posted 4/4/2007 11:45 AM (#248834 - in reply to #248769)

What bugs me in the boat?

-People who AREN'T hungover when they get to the landing
-People who think they know everything
-People who know everything
-People who don't talk
-People who talk too much
-People who eat peanuts/chips/chex mix in the boat, spill and then step all over it
-People who don't dip their feet in the water or wipe them for that matter before getting in the boat...I hate sand!
-People who make a swoosh sound with their rod and when you look back they are naked as a new born...only one guy I know does that
-"Men" who show up wearing a visor. Just cause you wanna look gay don't make people think I am also

Bunch of other stuff too.

musky-skunk
Posted 4/4/2007 11:59 AM (#248837 - in reply to #248769)

When the action is good and I'm on a good spot hitting it with everything I got and I look back to find my partner sitting there looking at me with a pop or a granola bar in his hand taking a little break. LOL, I usually just give him crap, but when it happens too many times in a day it begins to irritate me.

Do I take musky fishing too seriously? I suppose yes.

Oh also from my other fishing partner that only wants to fish on the calm side of the lake, and when it isn't stormy, or rainy, or cold, or if its getting dark outside.
Muskiemetal
Posted 4/4/2007 12:19 PM (#248840 - in reply to #248769)

Not showing up on time at the Okauchee landing when I have to be there at 4am to drop the boat in the water. I sit out in the bay for 45 mins waiting for his butt to get there. As soon as I take off and screw it, he shows up.....arrrrrrrrgggghhhh.
esoxaddict
Posted 4/4/2007 12:26 PM (#248842 - in reply to #248769)

fartin'

Not that there's anything wrong with that, we all do it. But when its bad enough to stink up OUTSIDE, even when the boat is MOVING? That's where I gotta draw the line, man. Don't eat pickled eggs, sauerkraut, and baked beans washed down with a 12 pack of guiness the night before, you're peeling the clearcoat off my lures!
RiverMan
Posted 4/4/2007 12:35 PM (#248844 - in reply to #248769)

Yep, cigs and cigars...I don't smoke and get tired of getting fumigated while trying to enjoy the great outdoors!

RM
MACK
Posted 4/4/2007 1:35 PM (#248859 - in reply to #248769)

Yeah....after reading a few more of these posts...I do admit I have a few more to add that I do agree with:

- Cell phones. Can't stand people that spend more time talking on the phone with wives/GFs than fishing. If it's talking to other fishermen that are out on the lake in other areas...fine....but....when you go fishing with me.....you wife/GF has the opportunity to believe that's where you're at if you're with me and not out at the bars or the bewbie clubs. First off...get a wife or a GF that has some self esteem and trusts you. Don't make your domestic issues my issue.

- The smoking thing. I don't smoke or chew either. and I don't want my boat or carpet or seats burnt from ashes or cigs and yeah...don't litter. If you feel the need to smoke...you'd better be really careful. Remember...we're all sitting/standing on top of a lot of fuel. I don't need to feel endangered and I don't want my boat messed up from you. Same goes for the tobacco/chew. Don't let your spit cup fall over in my boat! And when you spit in the lake...make it OUT of the boat...and take the spit cup with you and throw it away at the end of the day, don't leave it in my boat for me to have to clean up and deal with.

- Yes...lack of proper attire is a HUGE factor! Plan for everything! Meaning....layers and water proof rain gear..gloves and hats. My motto in life is "It's better to have it and not need it, than to need it and not have it." I don't want to make our day be a short day because you've under dressed and are cold. We can always leave the extra clothes/gear in the truck at the launch. If it's needed and there's not enough storage in the boat for it...leave it in the truck and launch. It's easier to go back to the launch than to go back home.

- Yes...not watching where your rod/bait is headed on the back swing of a cast. It takes two seconds to make sure you're clear of any/all other humans in the boat, as well as gear, seats, etc.

Esoxaddit's list is hilarious by the way! LOL! Great points!

Edited by MACK 4/4/2007 1:38 PM
BACKLASH
Posted 4/4/2007 1:51 PM (#248862 - in reply to #248859)

Leaving Snickers bars in my storage boxes.
Jump to page : 1 2 3
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)