Muskie Discussion Forums

Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Language | Blogs Search | Statistics | User Listing
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )
Moderators: sworrall, Slamr

View previous thread :: View next thread
Jump to page : 1 2
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]

More Muskie Fishing -> Muskie Biology -> Yahara Chain observations (Bone Lake brood)

Message Subject: Yahara Chain observations (Bone Lake brood)
Bytor
Posted 11/30/2006 11:37 AM (#222885)
Subject: Yahara Chain observations (Bone Lake brood)

There was some talk last year as to why are there 50" plus fish caught in the Milwaukee area and not in the Madison area. The implication being that there is something wrong with our fish since they have come primarily out of the Spooner hatchery. Well after doing a little bit of research last night and this morning it became pretty obvious to me as to why we aren't catching 50's in Madison. First off when you are talking to me about our lakes here in Madison please refer to them properly, which is the Yahara Chain of lakes. There is no Madison river, there is no Madison chain. I get a little anal about doing things properly and the proper name for the chain of lakes that resides in Madison Wisconsin is the Yahara Chain.

Here is the stocking history of true muskies in lakes Monona and Waubesa:
Monona did not have a substantial stocking until 1988 when 1417 fingerlings were put in. It did receive a few true strains in '86 (27) and '87 (543). Then tigers were stocked again in '89 and '90. Starting with the 1991 stocking of 2625 fingerlings, true strain muskies have been stocked into Monona. Waubesa did not receive any true strain muskies until 1992 when 1500 fish were put into the lake. Our local fisheries manager believes that the majority of the bigger fish in our lakes are a result of these stockings from 1991 and 1992. The few 50" fish that do get scene by anglers once in awhile are probably from the fish that were put in during the late 80's.
Conversely the Waukesha county lakes have been receiving true strain muskies for a lot longer period. Pewaukee has been getting them since 1972 and Okachee since 1982.

We obviously don't have a forage issue as the people that fish here know how fat our fish are. When I look at the stocking info and then factor in that the huge Wisconsin fish that are caught on Mille Lacs were all stocked from 1984-1987. I come to the conclusion that we aren't catching 50's here in Madison yet because our fish are still young and they haven't reached there maximum size yet. The data from the C & R info from our club shows that the average size caught goes up every year and IMO it will continue to increase for about 8 more years. There is absolutely nothing wrong with the fish that reside in our lakes. I am fully confident that Dr. Sloss' work will show that the genetics of the Wisconsin fish have not been compromised.

sworrall - 11/27/2006 3:17 PM

What's your overall average from the Madison Chain this year? Looks to be pretty good, I'd guess!

Steve asked this to a couple of different fisherman on the general board. My average on the Yahara Chain was 41.5" this year, my best average to date. My average is helped out by the fact that I don't fish Wingra which has some separate non genetic issues IMO, overpopulation and forage issues that have lead to stunting of that fishery.

Here is an example of our very healthy,Bone Lake brood, fish here in Madison.

Edited by Bytor 11/30/2006 11:46 AM

Zoom - | Zoom 100% | Zoom + | Expand / Contract | Open New window
Click to expand / contract the width of this image
(wauby46 5 web.JPG)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments wauby46 5 web.JPG (15KB - 189 downloads)
Lockjaw
Posted 11/30/2006 2:12 PM (#222919 - in reply to #222885)
Subject: RE: Yahara Chain observations (Bone Lake brood)

Pewaukee as well as Mille Lacs have been stocked with WI fish from Kaleps. This could explain why there have been bigger fish caught from those waters. Time will tell. I believe we will not see 50" WI fish from the Madison (Yahara) chain of lakes like we do where Kaleps fish have been stocked.
esoxaddict
Posted 11/30/2006 2:19 PM (#222921 - in reply to #222885)

So the fish are smaller because people improperly refer to the Yahara river system and surrounding lakes as the Madison Chain?

Troy, what you are saying has a lot of merit in my opinion. There are a few other factors that I think are worth mentioning:

1. The recent trend in larger fish corresponds with the recently imposed 45" size limit. It's been what, 3 years? And now all of a sudden everyone's average is going up. HMMMMMMM...

Genetics aside, what are the odds of a fish reaching it's true growth potential in an ecosystem where many smaller fish are harvested due to low size limits?

2. I believe you have to look at WHO fishes those waters as well. You fish there, as do may others from here. There are a LOT of "recreational" anglers. What I mean by "recreational" is that you're going to get a LOT of muskies caught by people who either

A. don't have a lot of experience with them, or
B. aren't musky fishing

I'm certain that happens on Pewaukee, but I believe its to a lesser extent.

Inexperience + light tackle + catching the fish of a lifetime (a 35 incher) = a pretty high mortality rate.

Don't get me wrong -- the stocking reports reveal a LOT about what is going on on the Madi- err. YAHARA chain

I just feel there is more at work than the history of stocking alone.

3. I also believe (and this is purely speculation) there are water quality issues present on the Yahara Chain that we're not seeing in the Milwaukee area lakes. The watershed in Madison is in some trouble as we all know. Pewaukee, Okauchee, and Oconomowoc are a little more isolated from urban runoff, where as the Yahara Chain basically gets ALL of the runoff from the entire city of Madison. Factor in the amount of development on the lakes, and the runoff from that, and the coal fire power plant (can you say mercury contamination???), and I can see where there might be growth issues with the fish in the system. When the local news agencies are urging people not to let their dogs swim in the lakes because of toxic blue green algae, one has to wonder aout the effect this has on the fish.

I'm not trying to make the Yahara chain out to be a sewer or anything, but I sure wouldn't eat the fish either.

I fully believe the Yahara chain is going to continue to improve, and here is why:

1. We're addressing the water quality issues. They're retooling the power plant, aren't they? And they've outlawed the use of phosphorous based fertilizers. Cleaner runoff = less fertile water = less algae.

2. We've addressed overharvest my enacting a 45" size limit.

3. C&R education is allowing for more fish to be released healthy that otherwise would have died.

4. Stocking of different strains of fish and the corresponding growth studies will eventually tell us what fish we need to be stocking (if it matters)

The forage is there. The acreage is there. If they can grow 50's down on the Fox Chain they can grow them ANYWHERE. Remove pollution, overharvest, and delayed mortality, and ther is absolutely no reason the Mad (I mean YAHARA) Chain can't support a population of 50 + inch fish.

Edited by esoxaddict 11/30/2006 2:43 PM
RB
Posted 11/30/2006 4:31 PM (#222942 - in reply to #222885)

what was your sample size Bytor? How many fish did you catch from the chain?
I doubt the avg size of fish is over 40" in that chain.
From the recent pics of the fish it seems the body of water is doing very well and will only get better.
sworrall
Posted 11/30/2006 5:52 PM (#222957 - in reply to #222942)

I don't believe I asked what the average size of the muskies in that Chain was, I asked a couple anglers what THEIR average was this year, and Bytor answered.
BNelson
Posted 11/30/2006 7:39 PM (#222981 - in reply to #222885)

Troy I still like to call it the Madison Chain!! cuz it's in madison and they are connected....now I know that gets you riled up I just might have to call it that more often !
Anyway...the chain is coming along nicely...I think the timing of the 45" size limit was perfect!
We are seeing some nice fish show up...As Cory said to some of us today...it used to be a 40"er raised eyebrows around here...now you don't get a second look or a question about where or what bait til you get up in the 43-44 and above range...

Will it ever be a 50" producing factory..no...I don't think so but will there be alot of 40-48" fish in here..yes, that I do...this weekend was sure an eye opener of all all the fish we contacted and most were pretty darn big...they have the forage and the room to roam... I am very optimistic for the next few years out there....what is my avg size this year? not sure really, I would say it is right around 39-40 though...hard to keep it up as there are alot of smaller fish to be caught which IS a good thing as we need those small fish in years to come....

The local muskies inc club and the DNR have done a great job with the chain and it will be interesting to see how the Leechers do....

is it May yet?
firstsixfeet
Posted 12/1/2006 12:59 AM (#223047 - in reply to #222885)

This lake may never put out a lot of 50's partially because there will be a lot of fish/fishermen contact and I do think that affects the growth somewhat and the recapture of those bigger fish. I see no reason there would not be 50's in these lakes, just a question of how many will have enough sanctuary to reach that size.
esoxaddict
Posted 12/1/2006 9:56 AM (#223102 - in reply to #222885)

If they can grow em big down on the Fox chain they can grow 'em big in Madison.

Edited by esoxaddict 12/1/2006 9:56 AM
sworrall
Posted 12/2/2006 12:54 AM (#223264 - in reply to #223102)

I'd tend to agree.
Bytor
Posted 12/2/2006 2:34 PM (#223334 - in reply to #222885)

I am not saying that I think Monona and Waubesa will become 50+" factories, just trying to point out that the fish haven't been in the system long enough to reach their ultimate size. These lakes should not be used as an example of inferior broodstock.

I do know of a 49" fish and a 48.5" fish that were caught and released on Monona this year. We are getting closer and in the next few years both lakes will start producing some 50" fish IMO. I released a 47.75" fish on Monona in 2004, the fish had a WDNR tag in her and she was still growing as it was 46.4" long in April '04 and 47.75" long in October of '04. I really wish somebody would catch her and report it to the WDNR so we can see if she is still growing. She could be a 50 by now.

Edited by Bytor 12/2/2006 10:39 PM
Pointerpride102
Posted 12/4/2006 9:34 AM (#223549 - in reply to #222885)

I think Troy has the system pretty well pegged. The fish havent been there long enough to get to the 50" mark. I wont be surprised in a few years when 50" fish start jumping in boats.

Mike
bn
Posted 12/4/2006 9:52 AM (#223553 - in reply to #222885)

jumping in the boat! now that is funny

big fish on the madison chain are fairly conditioned and they sure are hard to fool... can't wait til we start seeing some more at least!

gonna be a long winter...
sworrall
Posted 12/4/2006 11:32 AM (#223585 - in reply to #223553)

If they jump in anyone's boat, BN will be on the receiving end of at least a few.
esoxaddict
Posted 12/4/2006 11:58 AM (#223590 - in reply to #223553)

On the WHAT chain, Brad?

I predict there will be a few in the coming years, but I don't see it ever becoming a hog factory.

Considering the limitations of the ecosystem and the amount of human influence in that area, I see a limited potential for growth.
Bytor
Posted 12/4/2006 11:58 AM (#223592 - in reply to #223553)

bn - 12/4/2006 9:52 AM

big fish on the madison chain are fairly conditioned and they sure are hard to fool...

I agree, except I would substitute VERY for fairly.
These YAHARA CHAIN fish see a lot of lures.

Edited by Bytor 12/4/2006 12:00 PM
bn
Posted 12/4/2006 1:15 PM (#223614 - in reply to #222885)

yes and no Troy...don't get me wrong..they are conditioned...but this year more than any other we saw ALOT more big fish get caught, hit or get off Lee had 2 in the
49 range get off, he got some over 45" in the boat, I had a 47ish fish hit and get off...another one that looked that big hit and miss, I got 4 over 45 in the boat...I know of quite a few other over 45" Monona fish cpr'd, Hanson got his share of 45+. You got a couple over 45...I think in actuality the numbers of 45+ just weren't there for it to be a regular occurance in years past....the next few years alot more will get fooled .... they have to eat!
Anyone want to do something fun...if you can take a couple hours off the
week before opener on a calm, warm, sunny day...go out on Wauby, put your boat on the break and cruise around the shallows...I did that 2 years ago...wow, the number of fish I saw over 38" was amazing....
Pointerpride102
Posted 12/4/2006 7:14 PM (#223709 - in reply to #222885)

They dont jump in your boats down in Yahara or Madison or Madihara.....must be some genetic difference in the fish??? You know if you stocked leechers you would have them jumping in boats. HAHA!

Mike
bn
Posted 12/4/2006 7:19 PM (#223710 - in reply to #222885)

LOL.....that is a good one PP...you must be on the schnapps tonight...Madihara...how about Yaharison Chain? lol.
Pointerpride102
Posted 12/4/2006 10:46 PM (#223740 - in reply to #222885)

No schnapps for me LOL! I had enough this weekend! Yarhadison would be more correct I believe!

Mike
lambeau
Posted 12/5/2006 9:15 PM (#223943 - in reply to #223590)

I predict there will be a few in the coming years, but I don't see it ever becoming a hog factory.
Considering the limitations of the ecosystem and the amount of human influence in that area, I see a limited potential for growth.

the limitations of the ecosystem? the amount of human influence?
what expertise do you base these ideas on?

first off, there are NO "hog factories". as a percentage of the muskie population in any given lake, trophy fish will always be relatively rare...the media (MuskieFirst included) leads us to believe that trophy catches are a lot more common than they really are. trophy fish are still hard to come by! just ask every person who's fished Mille Lacs with dreams of 50"ers jumping in the boat only to come home with nothing.

the same factors are at play in Madison as in many other urban fisheries such as the Twin Cities and Milwaukee area lakes. those fisheries have a longer stocking history than the Madison area and now regularly produce a reasonable amount of trophy-calibre fish. with a 45" size limit in place just as the large year-classes are getting big, there's no reason to think that Madison won't do just as well as those other urban fisheries.

Edited by lambeau 12/5/2006 9:16 PM
esoxaddict
Posted 12/6/2006 9:59 AM (#224046 - in reply to #222885)

That's what I was getting at with the "limitations of the ecosystem" comment, Lambeau -- There's a lot of runoff, both urban and agricultural. The lakes are very fertile, too fertile. You've seen the die-off's in the spring from all the bacteria. There's a lot of silt, a lot of pressure, a lot of pollution, and you find warmer water temperatures than what would be considered ideal. I don't know for sure, but I'd imagine that the mercury contamination from the coal fired power plant isn't helping either

Don't misunderstand -- for what it is, and where it is, it is outstanding! But the environment those lakes are located in certainly is a limiting factor!

If you were to move those lakes 150 miles North and leave all the development behind, how different would they be?

How many 50" fish do you think they would support?

Edited by esoxaddict 12/6/2006 10:58 AM
bn
Posted 12/6/2006 10:02 AM (#224049 - in reply to #222885)

I'm going to disagree with you EA....i don't think any of the factors you listed above have much effect on the size or numbers of big fish that can or will be produced...with the exception of one....pressure/harvest/mishandling...the rest....no way....HUGE pike have been growing in Mendota for years and years with those same set of "limititations" you speak of.....muskies will grow just fine in Monona/Wauby...
bn
Posted 12/6/2006 10:09 AM (#224052 - in reply to #222885)

Should be fun to hit the hot water discharge this spring on Monona....there was a fish that was well over 50" hanging around there a couple years ago...and I mean well over 50"...too bad nobody caught her that we know about...she would have set the bar high...
again, will they ever be like a mille lacs or vermillion or any other body that consistently kicks out 50"s and where fish seem to be born at 40"...no, but the future is bright that is for sure...maybe 07 the 50" mark will fall!
esoxaddict
Posted 12/6/2006 10:58 AM (#224067 - in reply to #222885)

Brad

I still disagree. I believe that the health, longevity, mortality rate, and ultimate size of the Yahara Chain fish would be improved if the lakes weren't quite so... toxic?

I also think that there's a fair amont of harvest and a fair amount of delayed mortality on the chain, which again is a result of location. Lots of fish caught in warm water by guys who may have never caught one before.

Maybe stating that it was a "limitation" of the ecosystem wasn't the best way to put it. As Lambeau stated above -- it's the human influence that's causing the problems. All the goose poop certainly doesn't help, either. I read somewhere that a single goose puts as much phospohrous into the lake in one day as an entire chemlawn application...

I have no doubt that if you removed all the factors I just mentioned, there would be many 50" (and over) fish to be had on the chain.

That siad, I would be very suprised of someone doesn't catch a 50" next year. With the number of fish being caught in the 47 -49" range lately? 50 will fall. I'll call you when I catch her!
lambeau
Posted 12/6/2006 11:10 AM (#224072 - in reply to #222885)

EA, you completely missed my real point.
one can reasonably assume that the Madison system experiences all the same "limitations" that the Milwaukee and Twin Cities urban fisheries experience. yet those fisheries consistently produce trophy fish. those fisheriers have a longer stocking history.
ergo, as the Madison fishery matures it's likely to perform similarly to those other urban areas.
esoxaddict
Posted 12/6/2006 11:39 AM (#224077 - in reply to #222885)

I would agree that lakes of a similar acreage, similar depth, forage base, structure, and geographic location should produce the same ultimate size of fish if all other factors were similar, including water quality, angling pressure, whether it's spring fed or drainage fed, and yes, even genetic differences in the fish that are stocked.

But to say that since urban fisheries in the cities are producing a lot of trophy caliber fish that eventually the Yahara chain will as well? Stocking data would indicate this as a possibility. Unless you look at all the factors involved, stocking history alone isn't enough to make a prediction in my opinion.

bn
Posted 12/6/2006 1:15 PM (#224099 - in reply to #222885)

no stocking history isn't enough to make a prediction but being on the water and seeing what is out there is....there were tons of 44+ fish caught in 06..more than I bet any other year yet...with the size limit we have, more and more big fish will be there to catch...with the advances of the anglers learning more and more how to best handle the fish delayed mortality I feel is inconsequential to the # of big fish...sure there are some joe shmoes who don't know how to handle fish and there are those that ignore the 80 + degree water temps but that happens everywhere...
The water quality of the madison lakes is actually not all that bad..sure they get green and lots of algae but to call the water quality poor is a stretch...

50 in 07 is my new motto!
you aren't gettin her EA...cuz I am...
esoxaddict
Posted 12/6/2006 1:50 PM (#224110 - in reply to #222885)

You can't, Brad.

Because I'm going to catch her first, and when I catch do? *BONK*

To the wall she goes!

relax everyone, I'll put her back.

somewhere
lambeau
Posted 12/6/2006 3:49 PM (#224144 - in reply to #224077)

But to say that since urban fisheries in the cities are producing a lot of trophy caliber fish that eventually the Yahara chain will as well? Stocking data would indicate this as a possibility. Unless you look at all the factors involved, stocking history alone isn't enough to make a prediction in my opinion.

none of those things are enough so say that it won't be capable either. (which is what you're doing)
the stocking histories are the biggest obvious difference between the fisheries.
combined with the average size trends of fish caught by CCMI members on Madison area lakes, there's plenty of information to form the hypothesis that the fishery is not yet mature, and that as it matures the potential for trophy fish production will increase.

btw, is there a reason you need to put 3" of blank space at the end of every post?

Edited by lambeau 12/6/2006 3:50 PM
esoxaddict
Posted 12/6/2006 4:16 PM (#224154 - in reply to #222885)

That blank space represents the blank space in the end of my brain yet to be filled by the wisdom of Lambeau!

(acutally, I have no idea how I did that. Maybe something with my signature???)
Jump to page : 1 2
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)